Thread: November & December are Vampire Months!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default November & December are Vampire Months!

And it's already the second day of the new month. Since nobody requested a theme I just picked another popular theme. We're the Buffy boards so vampires it is. And when we say vampires we mean vampires but also slayers, hunters, lovers and all the other stuff that comes with vampires. So a whole month of showing us your favorite art, talking about which shows and movies with vampires have the best promotion material and screencaps or what scene inspires you most. I'll add a list with questions again to get it going but please feel free to talk about whatever you want to talk about... as long it's vampires (and a bit related to fanart ).

Since this is BF: Was your first wallpaper or graphic BtVS/Ats related?
    Which vampire (related) wallpaper or graphic is your favorite? (Please give credit when needed!)
    What is your favorite vampire (related) wallpaper/graphic made by you?
    Which movie or show featuring vampires has the best promotion material and or screencaps for fanartists?
    Each fandom gives the vampire it's own twist; also their looks differ. Which fandom has the best vampires aesthetically?
    Most of us love BtVS and Ats but struggle with the quality of the screencaps. So what are your tips and tricks when you work with those caps?
    And who is your favorite vampire of all time? (And yes I think we should count Count von Count as a vampire. ^^)

Thanks

Undoubtedly YES I have no idea what it was but growing up there was nothing else just BtVS so without a doubt it must have been BtVS related.

Which vampire (related) wallpaper or graphic is your favourite? (Please give credit when needed!)
    This is a hard one. There are so many out there? but I think my favourite one was one Zugma did of Buffy from the episode Nightmares where she gets turned into a vampire... which I can't seem to find any more but I loved that one the colours and the fonts and the story that kinda splayed out to the side of it I loved that wallpaper.

What is your favourite vampire (related) wallpaper/graphic made by you?
    Umm... I think its actually one of my oldest wallpapers (which you can tell by the size 1024x768) I've done loads that are bigger and technically better but I really love this one because of the scene. I think this was the time I was really really into making art so it kinda reminds me of that time where I could lose myself in making fanart even though its not great it just that memory of the excitement about learning and getting better.

Which movie or show featuring vampires has the best promotion material and or screencaps for fanartists?
    True Blood has really good screencaps http://screencapped.net/project/true-blood/ and Dracula has some good ones here http://screencapped.net/tv/dracula/ obviously Vampire Diaries http://screencapped.net/project/the-vampire-diaries/ has some really good ones but I think its mainly due to the technologies these day. Back when Buffy was first starting out no one had good screencapping abilities, I mean the episodes were filmed in 4:3 aspect ratio which is just rubbish, more focus on the characters but less detail and as most people know having that little extra space really helps when blending scene together.

Each fandom gives the vampire it's own twist; also their looks differ. Which fandom has the best vampires aesthetically?
    I love the BtVS style. I like how they aren't just a pair of fangs and nothing else. Joss really made them look like demons without making them look stupid or fake, but I also liked the way vampire looked different like the Master didn't look like the rest of them it gives scope to do different things and show how things can evolve.

I think why I like the fact its not just fangs is probably because of an X-Files episode where they had a vampire running round and it was just a kid with some home made fangs, its so simple and so not scary, so its good when there is something more going on.

I also liked the fact that they moved away from the Dracula type vampire where not all of them are beautiful aristocrats with nothing to do but go to balls and drink virgins blood from gold goblets. In the BtVS verse vampires could be anyone and everyone and they weren't all perfect as shown in AtS when Darla goes to find someone to sire her when she was human and she found a down and out pathetic excuse for a vampire and really he was just a lonely guy.

I liked how Joss put that kind of humanity on vampires gives them a more realistic, and believable feel to them and after all that what good stories do, they make people believe by presenting them with the weird and wonderful but with hints of reality or vice versa.

Most of us love BtVS and Ats but struggle with the quality of the screencaps. So what are your tips and tricks when you work with those caps?
    Zugma had a really good program that I can no longer get hold of which worked wonders for cleaning up screencaps but I can't remember what it was called. but other than that the only things I can think of is always get HUGE screencaps you can always reduce down but never make bigger you as you lose pixel quality, and if you can't find big ones buy the DVD's and make your own.

And who is your favourite vampire of all time? (And yes I think we should count Count von Count as a vampire. ^^)
    Angel/Angelus I love that man. If you've been on my website half the stuff is Angel related. I don't think I can say anything else about that.
    Last edited by Demetreas; 03-11-14 at 06:00 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Demetreas For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (02-11-14),Nina (02-11-14),Smth_Blue (02-11-14),Stoney (02-11-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Yep; I first started making BTVS fanart in some crappy program that came free with my old printer. I don't even remember the name of it now, but it was like MS Paint on steroids. It was horribly ugly, but I was still proud of it. LOL

Which vampire (related) wallpaper or graphic is your favorite? (Please give credit when needed!)
    Oh man, that's hard!!! I always love Zugma's and Jenni Lou's TVD art, so it would probably be one of their pieces.

This is one of my older wallpapers, but it's still one of my favorites. It was the first time I was truly proud of a manip I had done.

Oh man, definitely The Vampire Diaries! Their promos are always amazing to work with.

Each fandom gives the vampire it's own twist; also their looks differ. Which fandom has the best vampires aesthetically?[/QUOTE]
    Even though it's been years, I still prefer the look of BtVS' vampires, hands down. I love that they actually looked like monsters when they turned, and not just some freaky looking human.

Lots of Curves and Levels layers, as well as noise reduction actions I have in my "repertoire". Also, the paint daubs tool and the Stylize>Diffuse tool work wonders for making crappy screencaps look better.

And who is your favorite vampire of all time? (And yes I think we should count Count von Count as a vampire. ^^)
    I absolutely love Damon Salvatore from The Vampire Diaries. Ian Somerhalder plays him so well, and he delivers even the meanest of lines with a little bit of comedy so you can't truly hate him. Plus he's soooooo freaking hawt.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HisMRS For This Useful Post:

Demetreas (03-11-14),Nina (03-11-14),Smth_Blue (03-11-14),Stoney (03-11-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

Dear people,

It's a busy time for me as some of you perhaps noticed. And looking at this thread I'm not the only one. This theme of the month thing is the result of people asking for more social interaction in the fanart section but people do not really interact. So I was wondering if it's the set up or if people just lack time or interest in interacting with their fellow fanartists? If you've an idea please share it with us. It would be a pity if we would fall back into the slump we had a few months ago. Please do remember that we're a small community with people all over the world which means that we can't do a happy hour on friday or something. Not enough people would be able to show up. But it's almost impossible for your idea to attract less people than this current one. ^^ So please come forward if you've an idea.

Nina

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (02-12-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,831 Times in 5,310 Posts

Perhaps people could take turns to start a random topic each month, or maybe just try to get an ongoing thread where people post something as it quietens or just as/when it occurs to them. It could be anything at all, just thoughts to share that might prompt debate/discussion. It could be about using textures or other technical tips/queries, about the visuals of a show, about a general piece of art they have seen they like/hate, a new technique, a favourite current character/show and why you're just itching to art it, just about anything that relates to art directly or tangentially in all its subjective and objective glory!! Almost like a permanent chat room??

Now there is a starting contentious point... is art purely a matter of subjective opinion?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Nina (02-12-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

I love this idea of a theme thread. I finished something for it last night even though November is gone. But haven't been able to compose answers to the questionnaire just yet. I really do hope that if people don't like the format they will offer up some ideas that appeal to them. Because the forum is so slow, we need something else interactive outside the challenges, I think. I mean, fanart is just such a super fun hobby for me. And I've been with this place for so long. It really help foster my adoration to it and helped me to grow. And the community through the years has been great! Surely, we can manage to swing by once a month and post something to share and answer some questions. Or something else. Just tell us what it is, please!

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenni Lou For This Useful Post:

Nina (03-12-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,831 Times in 5,310 Posts

The only problem with the theme thread I think is that it doesn't really encourage interaction because people are just posting their individual answers so it doesn't give the community something different to posting art in the different sections if we are just reading and not chatting about the posts.

My first attempt at anything was my signature (which I become increasingly irritated by and suspect different stages of my learning will be reflected in revisions whenever it bugs me too much to ignore the things I see wrong with it).

I don't know enough to pick one from memory.

I haven't done more than a couple vampire related ones. I was pleased with the smaller graphic/gif I did for Angel S1ep1 recently.

Again, not really much experience to draw from but I have noticed that TVD seems to put out a lot of good promo shots.

I just love BtVS too much to pick anything else. It is what I think I automatically compare everything to.

To follow everyone else's tips!! I do seem to have more recent success with the basic duplicate it and turn the top layer to screen and sharpen it, as a base starting point. That is then followed by massive numbers of adjustment layers to tweak it and to try and make the caps fit each other (something new that I have learnt and one of the many things that is currently irritating me about my signature, going back to my previous comment).

Spike every day of the week and twice on Sundays would be lovely!!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Demetreas (03-12-14),Jenni Lou (04-12-14),Nina (03-12-14)