View Poll Results: Which ideas do you like?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • A section just for beginners with tuts, a Q&A thread and advice.

12 70.59%
  • The Fanart Section should be more social.

11 64.71%
  • More focus on fanart that are not wallpapers (in challenges and general art threads).

10 58.82%
  • Instead of ranking the pieces and awards at the end of a challenge the host only posts feedback.

2 11.76%
  • A host should award different aspects of fanart.

8 47.06%
  • Stop the challenges for now and focus on battles.

1 5.88%
  • Hosts should no longer make awards for everybody.

4 23.53%
  • "My Art" threads

3 17.65%
  • Fan Art Friday (*see OP)

6 35.29%
  • Throwback Challenges (a challenge that just reuses the idea of a previously done challenge?)

7 41.18%
  • It should be easier to host a challenge or start a battle.

5 29.41%
  • A challenge should be a real challenge again and not just a theme.

8 47.06%
  • More focus on the teaching element of the Fanart Section. (More tuts, more feedback)

12 70.59%
  • Have a competitive round maybe every 3 months and make them on a Free Form basis.

5 29.41%
  • Bring back the "feedback requirement" for the general fanart threads.

4 23.53%
  • A "general" challenge. (*see OP)

5 29.41%
  • Fanartists should mention things they would like to have feedback on.

7 41.18%
  • A beginner-only thread/challenge

4 23.53%
  • Challenges should run longer (but we should go back to 3+ challenges running at the same time.)

11 64.71%
  • I like it the way it is; please don't change anything.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which ideas will improve this place according to you?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Which ideas will improve this place according to you?

Since the other thread already had a poll; I made a new thread with the poll. There are so many good ideas mentioned by now (they don't fit in one poll; so I combined some options) that I think it's time that we decide what we want for this section. It's a multiple choice poll so you can pick all the ideas you like.

This doesn't mean that you can't come up with new ideas btw; but we've to start somewhere and I think it's good to know which ideas are really popular.

--------------------------
    * Fanart Friday)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciderdrinker
    Fandomania does this thing called Fan Art Friday that has a weekly theme and people submit art, but only a few get posted onto the site. That's a win in itself a way.
    http://fandomania.com/category/fan-art-friday/
    *a "General" Challenge)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bre
    I do have one thought about a "general" challenge thread - maybe we could post one thread wherein each member challenges the next person, sort of like an open-ended battle. No winners, no requirements save for what the previous member requires (i.e., the entire wall must be blue, or no text, or no blending, etc.). That would be cool! And if multiple people respond, then there will be multiple mini-challenges to respond to. It would sort of be like the fanart discussion threads we had going for a while.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Bre (26-08-14),ciderdrinker (26-08-14),cil_domney (08-09-14),Demetreas (26-08-14),Ehlwyen (26-08-14),janas (14-01-15),Nikki (26-08-14),Stoney (26-08-14)

Thanks

Thanks for doing this Nina, I was going to do something similar myself but you beat me to it.

After all the ideas that have been put forward, it's great to see them all together and what people want, rather than people (i.e. mostly me) just voicing opinions on how things could be improved. That's what this community is all about, yay!

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ciderdrinker For This Useful Post:

Nina (26-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

A challenge should be a real challenge again and not just a theme.
    Hmm. What does this mean? That there should be more challenges based on techniques?

I kinda like the "Fanart Friday" idea. Although, every Friday seems like a lot of work. How about Fanart Friday once a month? And instead of submitting art to the moderators to judge, how about making Fanart Friday a more sociable event? With feedback? And possibly drinking? (Maybe even games and festive hats? ) Anyone can enter a piece (and what kind of feedback they would like. Submissions can be done before Friday, a post made Friday morning with all the pieces and then anyone can come into the thread can give feedback (no matter how small) and hang out.

Lydia made the punch!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Bre (26-08-14),cil_domney (08-09-14),Nina (26-08-14),Smth_Blue (27-08-14)

Thanks

That sounds good; I've been thinking about this whole "Making the section more social" and couldn't really think of anything else but a big chat thread. Making it an event every month could be really fun if it's popular.

About the challenges needing to be challenges again and not just themes; I did read that as making the challenges harder again. People are afraid to scare people away with difficult requirements which means that many challenges end up like: "make something that is related to BtVS" or "make something with a song of a certain album/artist". It doesn't challenge anyone; nobody needs to step outside their comfortzone. It's more a prompt than a challenge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    That sounds good; I've been thinking about this whole "Making the section more social" and couldn't really think of anything else but a big chat thread. Making it an event every month could be really fun if it's popular.

About the challenges needing to be challenges again and not just themes; I did read that as making the challenges harder again. People are afraid to scare people away with difficult requirements which means that many challenges end up like: "make something that is related to BtVS" or "make something with a song of a certain album/artist". It doesn't challenge anyone; nobody needs to step outside their comfortzone. It's more a prompt than a challenge.
    Okay, this makes sense. I didn't understand most of the challenges were like this now. There have always been challenges like this so I was confused. But I can understand that if all challenges are simple then it can be uninspiring.

Glad you think the social Fanart Friday seems promising. I can work up some plans for it.

Also since there is already significant poll interest in the Beginners Section, Teaching Element, and Feedback, I think those three would fit well into one section. That way beginners wont be segregated and older members will have reason to drift in.

Also, what about having a Mentor of the Month? Members could ask questions of the Mentor like when they first got started, their favorite resources, what music they listen to while arting, etc? (We could have a small list of questions and then the rest be asked in the thread). And the Mentor would try to give feedback in whatever feedback thread we have, especially to any beginners. That way the forum always has at least one person who is giving some feedback. Obviously Mentor of the Month would be a volunteer thing where people can sign up.

Lydia made the punch!

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Bre (26-08-14),ciderdrinker (27-08-14),Demetreas (27-08-14),Destiny (02-09-14),Nikki (27-08-14),Nina (27-08-14),Smth_Blue (27-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    Glad you think the social Fanart Friday seems promising. I can work up some plans for it.
    I sincerely love this idea (especially the drinking part because in my book fanart and wine are best friends).

Also, what about having a Mentor of the Month? Members could ask questions of the Mentor like when they first got started, their favorite resources, what music they listen to while arting, etc? (We could have a small list of questions and then the rest be asked in the thread). And the Mentor would try to give feedback in whatever feedback thread we have, especially to any beginners. That way the forum always has at least one person who is giving some feedback. Obviously Mentor of the Month would be a volunteer thing where people can sign up.
    I LOVE this idea! And it would be neat to highlight that person and their art, their techniques. I also think this would be a good idea to help showcase how differently we all view fanart: what the Mentor focuses on in their art, what they see in other people's, etc.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

Demetreas (27-08-14),Nikki (27-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,831 Times in 5,310 Posts

I'd suggested someone came over and had a look here that was posting hand-drawn work on another forum. They weren't keen on sharing their art in such a coverall thread (the hand-drawn thread including crafts etc) and I think tends to prefer to create a thread for their own work. Is there a reason why we don't allow the option for people to create a thread linking just their own work?

Thanks

I can understand someone wanting a thread of their own for handdrawn art. I might not be opposed to it if a person posts prolifically or does serialized art like story comic. Our handdrawn threads have never gotten a lot of posts. Maybe once we sort out these other art sections changes an option will present itself.

One reason for the combined threads is that it keeps fewer threads more active. There arent a bunch of threads dead for weeks. Also, it is easier to browse one thread of similarily themed art than to click many threads of art. Therefore more members get their art seen. It increases the community for beginners and advanced to be in the same thread seeing each other's art. There is a tendency of goodwill to review and comment the art already posted when you are posting new art. So it increases the likelihood of feedback and getting to understand the other artists. Fanartists are notoriously shy. It seems less committal to make your own thread. But I think joining in the communal threads provides a quicker feeling of acceptance.

I have noticed amongst these suggestions for the section, many people have said we have too many threads. If we let people do "my art" threads, there will be many more threads. And "my art" threads has only gotten one vote in the poll. So I dont see our overall format changing.

Lydia made the punch!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (08-09-14),Smth_Blue (29-08-14),Stoney (29-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

All of these are great ideas. Everything I've thought of, someone else has already brought up, so for now I'll just sit back and "listen".

Thanks

Allright I doubt many more will vote. If they want to that's perfectly possible of course. But I want to start.

The next ideas are popular with the majority of the voters:

• The Fanart Section should be more social.
    • More focus on the teaching element of the Fanart Section. (More tuts, more feedback)
    • Challenges should run longer (but we should go back to 3+ challenges running at the same time.)

• A section just for beginners with tuts, a Q&A thread and advice.
    • More focus on fanart that are not wallpapers (in challenges and general art threads).

• A host should award different aspects of fanart.
    • A challenge should be a real challenge again and not just a theme.
    • Fanartists should mention things they would like to have feedback on.

Ehlwyen did already suggest to merge the teaching elements like tuts and feedback with the 'Beginners Section' idea. Sounds like a good idea to me. So instead of the current Tutorial Section a section with Tutorials, Q&A threads, Tips, Feedback threads (we've two already in the general section I believe), the threads with the resources etc. And I would like it if everybody is free to post in that section. Which means that everybody can open their own Tutorial thread without permission of a mod as well. If something goes horribly wrong (people reposting tuts of others by example) a mod or admin can always step in.

The three ideas for challenges can be translated to new rules for challenges. Instead of the current four or five weeks the challenges should end (roughly) two months after the thread was opened. And mods will have to make sure that there are enough challenges running. And after the deadline the host shouldn't just pick their five favorite wallpapers but (depending on the amount of entries) award different aspects of fanart. The host will be free in which aspects they want to award but you can think about awards for typography, coloring or composition. Or you can award the entry that fits the challenge best, the entry with the most creative idea and the fanartist who delivered some of their best work (in contrast to the ones who stayed in their comfort zone). Another idea is to make the challenges harder again; which doesn't mean that you have to start an impossible and super unique challenge. But try to push people out of their comfort zones with your challenge. If you can't think of anything you can always browse through the dead threads and borrow an idea. We had so many challenges; pick a challenge you want to bring back. And try to give some feedback; people like to know why they were not awarded or why they were. You don't have to write huge alineas just one or two lines with some pointers already halp a lot. Awards remain optional of course.

Talking about feedback; many of you voted for fanartists mentioning what they want feedback on. I don't think that somebody who enters a challenge should be forced to point out what they don't like about their own entry so I would be in favor of making it optional for the challenge threads. In the general fanart threads (and the battle threads?) this could be a requirement for posting art; same for the "I want feedback"/"I'm stuck, help me!" threads.

It's getting complex when we try to bring more focus on fanart that are not wallpapers (in challenges and general art threads). We can start a general fanart thread for non-wallpaper so people feel more free to post those. (Although I'm not sure if it's needed because the amounts of Tumblr graphics in the general threads are growing.) But we can't force a host to run a non-wallpaper challenge. We can start two lists (one wallpaper/wallscroll list and one smaller graphics list)?

And making the section more social is another big favorite. Some of the suggestions made by people are:

• A chat thread
    • Threads where fanartists can discuss (new) techniques and styles they've seen
    • A monthly event where there is a theme and people send in art. And in a less formal way all the members can feedback and talk about the wallpapers. A bit chat thread meets feedback thread.
    • Mentor/Fanartist of the month

When people make sure there are credits posted we can also make more threads to discuss art and/or resources made by non-BF Fanartists.

Anyway; let us know what you think about these ideas. Do you have ideas for a more social Fanart Section? A good idea how we can get the right balance between wallpapers and other graphics in challenges? Is there something you don't like? Please post it here. Most of these are just my suggestions based on the ideas with the most votes.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (30-08-14),cil_domney (08-09-14),Demetreas (31-08-14),Destiny (02-09-14),Ehlwyen (31-08-14),Jenni Lou (01-09-14),Smth_Blue (30-08-14),Stoney (30-08-14)

Thanks

Ehlwyen did already suggest to merge the teaching elements like tuts and feedback with the 'Beginners Section' idea. Sounds like a good idea to me. So instead of the current Tutorial Section a section with Tutorials, Q&A threads, Tips, Feedback threads (we've two already in the general section I believe), the threads with the resources etc. And I would like it if everybody is free to post in that section. Which means that everybody can open their own Tutorial thread without permission of a mod as well. If something goes horribly wrong (people reposting tuts of others by example) a mod or admin can always step in.
    I agree with being able to open your own tutorial thread, but I'm worried about having loads of threads with just one tutorial in a thread, would that be ok? Maybe we could have threads for level of difficulty or different techniques instead of "artist" threads? Just a thought.

It's getting complex when we try to bring more focus on fanart that are not wallpapers (in challenges and general art threads). We can start a general fanart thread for non-wallpaper so people feel more free to post those. (Although I'm not sure if it's needed because the amounts of Tumblr graphics in the general threads are growing.) But we can't force a host to run a non-wallpaper challenge. We can start two lists (one wallpaper/wallscroll list and one smaller graphics list)?
    I don't know whether I'm being a little blinkered here, but why do we need to differentiate between sizes? For me personally I never specify the size in a challenge and really appreciate it when people do something different. I realise that people have different preferences, but can't that just be in the challenge rules, why would we need a separate challenge?

Other than that I love all the new ideas and can't wait to see them all in place.

Loraine

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ciderdrinker For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (08-09-14),Ehlwyen (01-09-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ciderdrinker View Post
    I agree with being able to open your own tutorial thread, but I'm worried about having loads of threads with just one tutorial in a thread, would that be ok? Maybe we could have threads for level of difficulty or different techniques instead of "artist" threads? Just a thought.
    That's indeed a good idea. Although these shouldn't be there instead of the "artist" threads (IMO) but I think they could be there for people who don't want their own thread or who don't plan to post more tuts than one or two. My hope is that people will write several tutorials when they have their own thread while it's possible that a general thread won't have the same effect. Also when a host goes offline and takes all it's pictures with it; it's easier to move a thread to the "Dead Threads" and nobody had to browse through 'dead' tutorials until they find one that is still online.

I don't know whether I'm being a little blinkered here, but why do we need to differentiate between sizes? For me personally I never specify the size in a challenge and really appreciate it when people do something different. I realise that people have different preferences, but can't that just be in the challenge rules, why would we need a separate challenge?
    Well there are a lot of votes in favor of wanting to focus more on other sizes so I thought that we should do something extra. In General Threads it's going quite well but in challenges people rarely post non-wallpapers. No idea why (since it's allowed in most challenges) but my guess is that people feel a bit guilty when they send in a 500x700 graphic instead of the wallpapers which are (in general) more work. While the size is no longer a requirement most people still consider these challenges wallpaper challenges and almost all entries are wallpapers. Challenges with a focus on smaller graphics are a more positive 'environment' to post these smaller graphics (it's easier to judge as well).

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (01-09-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ciderdrinker View Post
    I think that's a great idea.

Is there anyone who is planning to provide tutorials that would prefer to post their tutorials in their own thread?

Nina has a good point about image links going dead. Perhaps we could come up with a cental place to upload tutorial images or at least have the mods save the images in case they ever go dead?

Other than that I love all the new ideas and can't wait to see them all in place.

Loraine
    I agree. There is no need for separate threads for different sizes than wallpapers. General threads already allow all sizes so there is no need to change this. What is needed is people who do other sized art to post in those threads. I think creating separate threads just creates an imaginary divide between wallpapers and other sizes.

I do think that if some challenges forced people to use a different size than wallpaper then that could be an interesting requirement.

Lydia made the punch!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Nina (01-09-14)

Thanks

I think that's a great idea.
    Is there anyone who is planning to provide tutorials that would prefer to post their tutorials in their own thread?
    Nina has a good point about image links going dead. Perhaps we could come up with a cental place to upload tutorial images or at least have the mods save the images in case they ever go dead?
    Perhaps BF (or the admins and the mods together) can get themselves a free Dropbox or Onedrive acount? And store all the images there? Otherwise we're dependent on a mod and their computer. Computers can crash and mods can take some time off because of RL-issues. So it's better when all the mods and admins can get the pictures.

About the seperate threads; I'm perfectly okay with that and I've no need of my own thread. It's just that in the past an own thread was obviously something you had to earn so I figured that this was something people really wanted. Loraine's idea makes for a better structured section (if the pictures all work at least otherwise it will be the Detroit of BF threads). On the other side; it can't be much worse than how it looks now. But in that case I would like to merge the still working tutorials in the new threads and get rid of the "Fanart elite" thing where some have their own thread and all the others have to post in general threads.

I agree. There is no need for separate threads for different sizes than wallpapers. General threads already allow all sizes so there is no need to change this. What is needed is people who do other sized art to post in those threads. I think creating separate threads just creates an imaginary divide between wallpapers and other sizes.
    There is already a lot of Tumblr-art/smaller art in there because buffylover, Firecracker, cil_domney and Zugma share their smaller (often Tumblr-sized) creations with us in those threads.

I do think that if some challenges forced people to use a different size than wallpaper then that could be an interesting requirement.
    I do think it needs to be regulated in some way. There is a reason 8 people did vote for more non-wallpaper fanart. In general most challenges and all battles allow it but it doesn't happen. In the past we had a movie-poster challenge and a book-cover challenge but those are extremely rare despite everyone being allowed to start such challenges. And I'm a bit afraid that it will perhaps happen once or twice in the next months but stop happening after a while.

I'm also open for other ideas instead of the challenge-idea but I don't think we can just ignore the 8 people who want more non-wallpaper fanart.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Demetreas (01-09-14),Ehlwyen (01-09-14)

Thanks

*evil double-post!*

Just want to say that people who want something different than the current plans should post here and let us know. Preferably before the weekend so we can stop talking and actually do something.

Current plans:

The Tutorial Section will be a bigger section with advice, requests, feedback and tutorials.
    Fanartists will no longer have their own thread with tutorials. The tutorials will be posted in general tutorial threads. (This means that the current threads will either go to "Dead Threads" or they will be merged with the new threads.)
    Everybody can post and start threads in that section.

The section we're in now, the discussion section, will be the place where you can chat with the other fanartists and lurkers about the section, fanart and other stuff.

Challenges will run for a longer amount of time (2 months).
    We will go back to 3+ challenges (depending on the list).
    Try to make the challenge a bit hard; get the people out of their comfort zone!
    Hosts will have to give feedback (awards are still optional).
    Hosts should rank/award wallpapers based on different aspects of fanart (which - and how many aspects is up to the host).
    There will be challenges for fanart that are not wallpapers and the mods will regulate that to make sure they happen more often.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else: most people didn't vote for making it easier to start a challenge or battle. But is somebody against less rules for starting a battle? At the moment you need permission to start one and you can only do one at the time. But it's quiet on the battlefield so I was wondering if we could get rid of those rules. (And perhaps also the "every week a new round" rule because that is probably the most ignored rule on this board. And without a waiting list it's not really needed to finish a battle quickly.)

Thanks

Wow, things have certainly began moving in here a lot (*thanks for the heads up, Mara!) and I love that people are committed to this section of the forums so much. Personally, I love most of the ideas posted here, with an emphasis on the Friday-throwback-fanart thingy (please insert the appropriate term here ). I think that's a great idea to create a new form of posting art, because as much as I love the challenges and battles, sometimes it's hard to come up with an idea suitable for the current challenges, so something more open, that allows to be a bit free and spontaneous, would be great. I'm not sure whether to go with the very first idea, which was suggesting to only choose some pieces to be published. I realise it would make it an honour itself for the piece and the artist, but I fear that this could also be discouraging for some of the newer members or beginners, because we all know that we have some fantastic artists around here and if the choice of the pieces to be published was completely honest, some pieces/artists might not get chosen repeatedly and again, that can be very discouraging. So I'd really prefer the scheme already mentioned, of people being able to send in their art, all of the pieces would be posted and then we can all hang out, give feedback on whatever pops to our head, get a bit giddy with the party hats () and make it a regular, festive event we can all look forward to.

About the challenges themselves - I'd love it if we could go back to 3+ challenges. I know the reason for reducing their number was the inactivity in these threads, but personally sometimes it's difficult to choose a challenge even with 3 challenges running, because the muse just doesn't want to be constricted and having three options to choose from might make the participation easier. Personally, I voted to make challenges harder, because I like the overall concept of the idea to be pushed a little and it's great when that happens, but I'm not sure how to go around ensuring that that actually happens. A lot of us feel that challenge ideas along the lines of "make something connected with summer/lyrics/books/colour blue" can be too easy, which is true, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that due to the freedom of the requirements, these challenges usually get a lot of entries, because let's be honest- it allows us to enter the challenge easily, because we can use whatever our current obsession is, and just wrap it around the challenge idea. I'm not sure how much would we be gaining, if we focused only on "difficult" challenges. But then again, maybe the members think that this is what we need?
    I think that if we did go back to at least 3 challenges running at a time, maybe 2 of them can be the ones to push us a bit and one can be reserved for easier, more versatile themes? Although I'm not sure how would we/the mods organise it technically. Can we just tell artists that are starting a challenge to make their one easy/hard? Can we maybe specify this when signing up for a challenge, something like "Hi, I want to host a challenge and I want to have a hard/easy one"? Or is this maybe something that should be left up to the artist's judgement, i.e. I've just been given a go-ahead with my challenge, I can see that the ones already running are difficult, so I go with something a bit easier/harder? Or maybe we just generally stick with "guys, let's make them more interesting", we all make a mental note of trying a bit harder with our challenges and we just see where does it go from there?
    Concerning the challenge duration, I think longer time will only bring more entries, so why not. Although 5 weeks seemed like quite an appropriate time for me (it was nice, because then the themes and challenges change quite dynamically and it's easier to keep getting inspired), maybe a 2-month period for a challenge wouldn't be so bad, if we had something else to keep the muses occupied - such as the Fridays idea.
    I also like the idea of changing the awarding system for challenges, especially the requirement for the host to award different aspects and provide feedback. I myself particularly like to give feedback to everyone awarded, but it does happen that the awards-giving ends up with just the awards being posted and I think it would be good to make it a part of the rules to provide at least some form of a feedback, even though it is just "hey, I really liked your font". Hosting a challenge isn't really all that difficult (once we came up with the idea ) and honestly making the awards for it doesn't take up so much extra time either, so I feel it is fair to provide everyone who entered with some feedback, because that's the least we can give back for someone who thought about our idea and went and created a piece of art specifically for us.

What I also like is the Mentor of the month. Making it voluntary, of course, and just having that one person that is there for these kind of questions, because I can imagine that it could be very inspiring to all of us, even the ones who don't need basic advice but still might like to ask a question (such as "your favourite resources" etc.). I know we have threads for resources, and even tutorial threads, but these can change so quickly and dynamically that being able to pop up and discuss something that is on our minds at that particular time would be very useful. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like it

About the tutorial/beginners/teaching section - that should be made a bigger section with some of these merged together, as Nina mentioned already. I think merging will help with keeping these threads alive and that we should focus the tutorials on themes/techniques, and maybe not so much on individual artists having their own threads. Again, it would keep the section cleaner and also it is always easier to browse tutorials by themes and techniques rather than individual artists.

Alright, I'm going to have a look around, read some more and hopefully come back with some more opinions!
    In the end, we all are who we are, no matter how much we may appear to have changed.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Destiny For This Useful Post:

Bre (02-09-14),Ehlwyen (02-09-14),Nina (02-09-14),Stoney (02-09-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
    About the challenges themselves - I'd love it if we could go back to 3+ challenges. I know the reason for reducing their number was the inactivity in these threads, but personally sometimes it's difficult to choose a challenge even with 3 challenges running, because the muse just doesn't want to be constricted and having three options to choose from might make the participation easier. Personally, I voted to make challenges harder, because I like the overall concept of the idea to be pushed a little and it's great when that happens, but I'm not sure how to go around ensuring that that actually happens. A lot of us feel that challenge ideas along the lines of "make something connected with summer/lyrics/books/colour blue" can be too easy, which is true, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that due to the freedom of the requirements, these challenges usually get a lot of entries, because let's be honest- it allows us to enter the challenge easily, because we can use whatever our current obsession is, and just wrap it around the challenge idea. I'm not sure how much would we be gaining, if we focused only on "difficult" challenges. But then again, maybe the members think that this is what we need?

I think that if we did go back to at least 3 challenges running at a time, maybe 2 of them can be the ones to push us a bit and one can be reserved for easier, more versatile themes? Although I'm not sure how would we/the mods organise it technically. Can we just tell artists that are starting a challenge to make their one easy/hard? Can we maybe specify this when signing up for a challenge, something like "Hi, I want to host a challenge and I want to have a hard/easy one"? Or is this maybe something that should be left up to the artist's judgement, i.e. I've just been given a go-ahead with my challenge, I can see that the ones already running are difficult, so I go with something a bit easier/harder? Or maybe we just generally stick with "guys, let's make them more interesting", we all make a mental note of trying a bit harder with our challenges and we just see where does it go from there?
    Concerning the challenge duration, I think longer time will only bring more entries, so why not. Although 5 weeks seemed like quite an appropriate time for me (it was nice, because then the themes and challenges change quite dynamically and it's easier to keep getting inspired), maybe a 2-month period for a challenge wouldn't be so bad, if we had something else to keep the muses occupied - such as the Fridays idea.
    Would it be an idea to offer BOTH in the hosted challenges? Have the first option be hard and challenging, and pushing people out of their comfort zones, but then have a second or third or whatever option that lessens it? I.e. a color challenge, using psychology and blah blah blah for the first option, but the second option would be "use blue and orange together," or a third option could be "use red font." I think this would fly well with the new ideas for the awarding system since there won't necessarily be overall places. And this would let people who aren't motivated by the first stringent requirement to let loose with SOMETHING instead of not entering that challenge at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
    I also like the idea of changing the awarding system for challenges, especially the requirement for the host to award different aspects and provide feedback. I myself particularly like to give feedback to everyone awarded, but it does happen that the awards-giving ends up with just the awards being posted and I think it would be good to make it a part of the rules to provide at least some form of a feedback, even though it is just "hey, I really liked your font". Hosting a challenge isn't really all that difficult (once we came up with the idea ) and honestly making the awards for it doesn't take up so much extra time either, so I feel it is fair to provide everyone who entered with some feedback, because that's the least we can give back for someone who thought about our idea and went and created a piece of art specifically for us.
    Agreed on this front - I do think if you're taking the time to host a challenge, especially with hard requirements, you should give SOME feedback. And by SOME I mean even a few words of nice things vs. a pretty award and no comment, and even better if you go above that.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

Destiny (02-09-14),Ehlwyen (02-09-14),Nina (02-09-14),Stoney (02-09-14)

Thanks

I new here and am not familiar with all the posting rules yet - so my apology if I am going against the posting rules -

Regarding the Size Issues - A challenge that requires The Big and The Small of It - the selected theme must be done in both sizes would be a good way to promote the use of different sizes - get people out of that comfort zone.

I also have another project that I would like to propose for the group. Last Christmas season I was looking at Christmas craft sites and so great ideas for doing Advent Calendars - so of course I decided to do The Buffyverse Advent Calendar. It ended up being a lot more work than I had anticipated, but still I was glad that I took on the project.

Would the group here like to do an Advent Calendar? Maybe it could be a Christmas Season Challenge for all members who want to participate. It should be something that is open to all so that it is a fun project.

If this is not the right place to post this sort of thing - SORRY.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Stoney (08-09-14)

Thanks

This is the perfect place for ideas like these. And you don't have to be so afraid to post something in these threads. ^^ We're just careful with short and off-topic comments in the threads where people post art but in this corner of the Fanart Section you can talk more freely. There are even two game threads in this section. I wonder if the posts count here in "Fanart Discussions"?

edit: Yes they do count. Hmmmm perhaps that needs to change.

Anyway that are two good ideas. In the past there was a member who did that (posting a new graphic or other goodie every day during advent) but it's been a while. So we can certainly do something like that during christmas time. Last year we did have a gift challenge; everybody made something for another member. If you want to set up something like this feel free to do it; there will be enough members who want to help out. People usually get excited for stuff like that around here. If you don't have much time yourself you can also open a thread in this section (Fanart Discussions), pitch the idea you have and ask who has the time to co÷rdinate it.

Same with the challenge-idea. It's a great idea so you can decide to start a challenge like that yourself or you can pitch the idea in this thread so somebody else can start such a challenge.

Oh and everybody; the mods and admins are working on it. I hope I'll be able to do most of the work in the next week. ^^

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (08-09-14)

Thanks

I would be happy to take on the Advent Calendar maybe I could get one other member to help - It's pretty simple, members would sign up for days they wanted. The submissions do not have to be restricted to images, they could be vids, music, a craft project, a story or artwork they wanted to share. My idea was to make it not just a Holiday Season Images, but more like a giving of a gift to others - thus it is not restricted to only an image that would be created for the calendar, but a "something special I want to share" for the Holiday Season.

This is the link for the archive of the Buffytube Advent Calendar - this is a list of the submissions - while it was taking place images were being posted on our home page and we had a home tab with information and links for all the days. I had hoped for more participation by our members, but on Buffytube we don't have a strong graphics membership thus I ended up doing most of the calendar. Usually I would have done a Holiday Season vid but this Advent Calendar took over all my time for creating images.

You should be able to access with this link - http://buffytube.ning.com/page/advent-calendar

36. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Nina (11-09-14)