Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The one where we brainstorm how to make the section more beginner-friendly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Something else; we talked about mentors in this thread. Who wants to be one? I'll add at least a list in the OP with the names.
    To quote ciderdrinker...
    Also, what is involved in being a moderator?
    What is expected of that person to do? What are the duties of a mod for a fanart section (beside making sure general rules aren't broken)?

I'll be able to visit this section at least for a half hour each day! And post announcement if I am going to be absent from net.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

Mentors and mods are not the same thing. Mods are chosen by admins to regulate certain sections. It's up to Ehlwyen and Nikki to decide if we need/get an extra mod. I was talking about mentors; people who are willing to help others with fanart. It's often scary/uncomfortable to ask a person if they want to help you; the idea of mentors is that they say: "Contact me if you want to know something about fanart; I would love to help you." And thus it's easier to send a message. Especially for people who are new to this section/forum. Other things mentors can do is being responsible that there will be new tutorials from time to time and perhaps update the OP in this thread when they find or have tutorials/tips/resources.

I've added Ciderdrinker, HisMRS and myself to the list with mentors because we all three stated clearly that we're willing to be mentors. If somebody else wants to be on the list... let me know!
    Last edited by Nina; 22-08-14 at 12:21 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Sky (22-08-14)

Thanks

Mentors and mods are not the same thing. Mods are chosen by admins to regulate certain sections. It's up to Ehlwyen and Nikki to decide if we need/get an extra mod. I was talking about mentors; people who are willing to help others with fanart. It's often scary/uncomfortable to ask a person if they want to help you; the idea of mentors is that they say: "Contact me if you want to know something about fanart; I would love to help you." And thus it's easier to send a message. Especially for people who are new to this section/forum. Other things mentors can do is being responsible that there will be new tutorials from time to time and perhaps update the OP in this thread when they find or have tutorials/tips/resources.
    Lol! That sounds like a lot work! Thanks for clarifying that. Honestly, I got lost. since every site/forum I go. There are like 5+ classes of members with different powers.

Joking aside I don't think I am that good at PS to be giving advices.

Tho I think you would to this job nicely Nina! You already helped me!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sky For This Useful Post:

Nina (22-08-14)

Thanks

I am nowhere near good enough with PS to be a mentor but I like helping people so put me on the list Nina
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

Nina (22-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

I want to say how much I love the idea of mentors, if members have the time. You are all amazing! Thank for the thread and organizing Nina!

I am like Bre and use an ooooold version of PSP, so I cant give PS advice (although I would love to be able to get some help with learning PS when I get stuck).

Mara you are kickass in your art! Don't sell yourself short. Sky, you are probably more knowledgable than you believe!

Instead of making mods, I am looking into what I can do to give extra functions to help you run the mentors and fanart resources better. What suggestions are there for things you need to be able to do? I think if you have over 400 posts that you already have the ability to move a thread you created.

Lydia made the punch!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Nina (22-08-14)

Thanks

awh thanks Lyn

I think for those who are going to mentor it might be nice to mention what program we use then people could ask questions to someone with a similar program I am on an old photoshop 7.0 so I have no clipping masks for example I don't know if it is helpful but I think it might be
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

Add me to the list for mentors! I'd love to help! I have some tutorials on my site that I'll post in the Tutorial thread this weekend.

Personally, as far as that Tutorial section, I think it needs to just be cleaned up and cleaned out with old stuff. Some of the images still work, but others do not.

I have PSP X I believe, I haven't updated it in a really long time so it's not up to date with the currents, and I've never used PS. I had the opportunity to get it, but I'm comfortable in PSP because I know it, and as Firecracker mentioned elsewhere, I've trained myself in PSP! That being said, I'm 100% willing to work with someone with PS to see if we can get some translations between the programs going.

As far as mod work, perhaps we could name one or two people as "overseers" or something, some lovely people who the rest of the members can go to for help modulating challenges/battles, keeping the deadlines in motion, making sure people are posting awards/feedback (whatever they so choose). I agree, Lyn, I don't think we need any sort of mod power to make that happen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

Nina (22-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

The only thing that could use a mod or admin is the tutorial section. That one needs some cleaning up and regulating (is it just me or does Zugma's thread trigger anti-virus programs?). Besides that I think nobody needs extra powers to help regulating this place. And aside of the things Bre just listed; I vote for a change of rules for the tutorial section because people are not even allowed to open up their own thread with tutorials which doesn't encourage people to make (more) tutorials I think.

Oh and something completely different; can the list in the OP of this thread be a sticky? I suspect that this thread will be quiet in a few weeks and it will be harder for new fanartists to find it. I'm willing to keep it updated if that is possible.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (22-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

The only thing that could use a mod or admin is the tutorial section. That one needs some cleaning up and regulating (is it just me or does Zugma's thread trigger anti-virus programs?). Besides that I think nobody needs extra powers to help regulating this place. And aside of the things Bre just listed; I vote for a change of rules for the tutorial section because people are not even allowed to open up their own thread with tutorials which doesn't encourage people to make (more) tutorials I think.

Oh and something completely different; can the list in the OP of this thread be a sticky? I suspect that this thread will be quiet in a few weeks and it will be harder for new fanartists to find it. I'm willing to keep it updated if that is possible.
    I get the same thing with Zugma's tutorials - they're linked to Nikki's old domain, which I think got infested before she moved. I think the only thing we'd need a mod for with the tutorials section is deleting threads... or can we do that? That feels like too much power in the hands of regular members.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

Nina (22-08-14)