View Poll Results: Should the Fanart Section be private or public? (Fanart dead threads are private.)

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Private -- It's too easy for art to be taken thru google without anyone ever seeing our site.

0 0%
  • Private -- Art stolen to be put on ebay products is a problem.

0 0%
  • Private -- People join to see the fanart and stay because they are now members.

2 12.50%
  • Public -- Our art is awesome and people will join and participate if they see it.

9 56.25%
  • Public -- Prefer it private but we need to try something.

5 31.25%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you think fanart is dying out?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,255 Posts

Well it looks like the "feedback requirement" is not returning to the General Art threads because most people don't want it back. So those are the threads you can post in when you just want to share your art. Sometimes another fanartist pops in with a bit of feedback but that's only sometimes and the feedback in that thread is very positive. People who want real critique can go to the "serious critique" thread. And if you enter a challenge there is also a chance that the host points out why you didn't win.

To add to ciderdrinker's post: you can also send a vistor message to the other fanartist if you want to leave a compliment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ensign (31-08-14)

Thanks

Why don't we try for a test run one of those "learning from image questions" - someone could post an image that they have questions about and the group can discuss the technical and the specific question that the artist has about the image. LOL, if I knew how to correctly post an image I would offer two. It's an image that I have been working on for several days and can't make it work. Not sure what thread that would be as I am really knew here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
    Totally agree with that. Sometimes its hard to write a paragraph on why you like the particular peice. I personally don't mind one-liners either. Appreciation is Appreciation, and that's all that should be important. An indepth analysis can be daunting sometimes, especially to new and shy members, as well. Sure, it's good to help give better feed back, and constructive critisism, but it shouldn't be a requierment. Thats partly why I don't post in the fanart section a lot. I don't always have something to say about the previous art before my post. Sure, I love it, don't get me wrong, but everytime I want to share something, it can feel a bit overwhelming.
    Quote Originally Posted by cil_domney View Post
    As for the "feed back" issue - I think it would be helpful to revisit the "one line requirement" - what is the benefit to the group? If I have to invent things to say about a piece so that I can meet the one line requirements after a while I would probably just stop my comments which is too bad as I see nothing wrong with leaving a simple" I really love this piece" or any other comment that let's the artist know I appreciate their creative efforts.

I don't know - I'm coming from the POV of someone who is perfectly happy with a simple comment of appreciation for the art - I don't think of that as Spam.
    There appears to be some confusion. The feedback requirement was removed in spring 2013 with the last section overhaul. All general art threads state this in their opening post. You can just post your art.

That being said, I think that taking a moment to recognize why you like something is a great way to improve your own art skills. "I love the piece" versus "I love the coloring" doesnt require that much effort or typing and it can be infinitely more helpful and kind to the other artist. Even saying you love the subject expresses a joy to the artist. Feedback isnt about someone else's art being right or wrong, it is about your opinion of what you like. Knowing what you like in someone else's art can give you direction on what to pursue in your own art.

Why don't we try for a test run one of those "learning from image questions" - someone could post an image that they have questions about and the group can discuss the technical and the specific question that the artist has about the image. LOL, if I knew how to correctly post an image I would offer two. It's an image that I have been working on for several days and can't make it work. Not sure what thread that would be as I am really knew here.
    You might not be able to see the thread, but you would want to post in the linked Help I'm Stuck thread.

Also, you dont have to post thumbnail images as a preview, you can just post a link to wherever you uploaded the full size image. Just copy & paste the link into the posting box and the forum will recognize it. Or the button that has the blue/green world with the grey infinity sign can be used.

Lydia made the punch!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (03-09-14)

Thanks

There appears to be some confusion. The feedback requirement was removed in spring 2013 with the last section overhaul. All general art threads state this in their opening post. You can just post your art.

That being said, I think that taking a moment to recognize why you like something is a great way to improve your own art skills. "I love the piece" versus "I love the coloring" doesnt require that much effort or typing and it can be infinitely more helpful and kind to the other artist. Even saying you love the subject expresses a joy to the artist. Feedback isnt about someone else's art being right or wrong, it is about your opinion of what you like. Knowing what you like in someone else's art can give you direction on what to pursue in your own art.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean that I can post a comment that is a simple and short "I love this piece" or any short comment simply saying that I like what the artists has done with the artwork. Personally, I much rather post a short comment than just using the "thanks" method. The "thanks" to me says nothing about what I would like to say about the artwork - But if we can't post a short simple comment. My apologies if I am mistaken about the requirement of filling an entire line or you can't post a reply c comment.

I did see the notice that one does not have to first comment and give feed back before posting artwork - I was asking about the "length" required to give feed back or comment on the artwork in the general art threads.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,255 Posts

I wouldn't focus too much on the length of the message and more on what you say. Like you said; the "Thanks" option says nothing about the artwork besides that you like the artwork. But neither do the words "I like your wallpaper". It's the exact same message. It's fun to see or hear that another likes it but it's still very general; you can send that message or use the "thanks" button for every artwork you like. That's why we ask people to say something extra so it's more personal. Like Ehlwyen says: look at a wallpaper and ask yourself why you like a wallpaper. Is it the composition? What do you like about the composition then? And say that in your message. Make sure that you say something that shows that you did think about the wallpaper and in that case the amount of words do not matter all that much.

If you don't want that but you still want to leave a message with words; try sending a visitor message. If you send one the fanartist can reply to you as well.

ps.
    You can quote a post by clicking on "Reply with quote"; which you find in the bottom right corner of every post. Or you can use the [QUOTE] [/QUOTE*] (without the * of course.) codes.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Bre (03-09-14),cil_domney (04-09-14),Ehlwyen (04-09-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Does this mean that I can post a comment that is a simple and short "I love this piece" or any short comment simply saying that I like what the artists has done with the artwork. Personally, I much rather post a short comment than just using the "thanks" method. The "thanks" to me says nothing about what I would like to say about the artwork - But if we can't post a short simple comment. My apologies if I am mistaken about the requirement of filling an entire line or you can't post a reply c comment.

I did see the notice that one does not have to first comment and give feed back before posting artwork - I was asking about the "length" required to give feed back or comment on the artwork in the general art threads.
    If you are not posting art, you need to leave feedback for a minimum of 3 pieces. The feedback can be as short as, "Piece 1: I like the colors. Piece 2: Great text. Piece 3: Love that moment in the show."

Three is required so that hopefully more people than a single person are getting feedback. However, there is no rule to do three different artists. But giving a comment to only one person comes off as exclusionary rather than community building.

Saying, "I like the piece" is not any more descriptive than hitting the thanks button. You should use the reputation button to give this comment. Plus you are giving the gift of reputation points. On this version of the forum, reputation is given using the star shaped button beneath the user info and is in the same bar as the thanks button.

Lydia made the punch!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Bre (04-09-14),cil_domney (04-09-14),Smth_Blue (05-09-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,797 Times in 5,284 Posts

I've just noticed when providing a link to the fanart section to someone that the area still has a notice at the top saying it is private, even though you can then go into the threads. Just thought I'd mention it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-09-14)