Thread: TO 1x16 Farewell to Storyville

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Default TO 1x16 Farewell to Storyville

This episode started off kind of slow, but I think it was really good. I think that in the end Rebekah did get a good send-off to go on and lead her own life (which is something she’s been saying she wants since Elijah was un-daggered and she expressed a desire to leave NOLA and move forward with her own life). It is always possible for her to come back and see her brothers again or that they’d run into each other again down the road since they’re immortal and everything – although it may not happen in the span of the show if Claire doesn’t want to ever come back and her exit did feel very final. Also Klaus and Rebekah’s conversation at the end where they basically realized they were stuck in the same cycle and they needed to break it by getting away from each other was pretty heartbreaking. I rarely actually tear up watching TV but watching this episode and then finding out Claire was leaving for good did it for me.

I know that Claire was the last cast member to sign on to do the show (Pheobe was the first for some odd reason - before even Joseph & Daniel) and for a while it was up in the air if she was even going to do the show or not which is why when the backdoor pilot was filmed only Klaus & Elijah went to NOLA and Rebekah stayed in Mystic Falls and announced she was going to live her own life (which is now what she’s doing). So I now think in hindsight that she never planned to actually stay on the show long-term and they’ve had the Rebekah vs. Klaus stuff going on for episodes to set-up her departure (because their relationship was not like that when we met them back in Season 3 of TVD). I also read that Calire and Daniel didn’t have contracts to be in every episode for the season. Daniel was absent from the earlier episodes at the beginning of the season because he had a prior obligation to be on Saving Hope. So I guess Claire is gone for the rest of the show now and I think it was probably her decision to leave (I think I saw she wants to move back to Australia). It just won’t be the same without her though. I would love for her to come back occasionally but I don’t know if that will happen or not.

One of the biggest appeals for me with this show was that I wanted to see the dynamics of The Original family explored a lot more (and I know that started taking up a lot on TVD but it was something I really liked) so I’m really sad that we won’t be getting that anymore. I still think it was a huge mistake to kill off Kol & Finn back on TVD because Nate was willing to come back and reprise his role so they should have kept him around to bring back (especially now with Rebekah gone). Now he probably won’t be able to come back because he got cast in the Supernatural spin-off. At this point they really only have Joseph & Daniel so I don’t even see the point of doing any more flashbacks because they won’t have the rest of the family. The show is called “The Originals” and we were told it was going to focus on The Original Family but now we only have 2 (of the 6) Original Vampires on the show so I’m just sad but I’ll probably continue to watch it just to see where it goes. But it seems like if it’s just Klaus and Elijah they may have been better just staying on TVD.

I do think Klaus was right about Marcel. I wish he had left because I don’t want to see him continue a turf war with Klaus/Elijah and I don’t see any purpose for him on the show anymore. I really think Marcel became power-hungry and never really loved Rebekah the way he claimed to – his actions speak a lot louder than words. I think that Marcel wanted to run the Originals out of town so he could seize power for himself and he lived in their house and just took everything for himself and now is throwing a fit because Klaus & Elijah are living in their old house (which they built for themselves to begin with so it was never Marcel’s to begin with – they didn’t steal it from him. Marcel took it for himself when Mikael ran then out of town and now they’ve just taken it back). I don’t think Marcel ever had any interest in tracking down Rebekah and starting a life with her. Even earlier in the season (after Sophie & Hayley were unlinked) Rebakah planned to leave town and invited Marcel to come with her and he made it clear that he was only really interested in power and ruling the city and he would never chose her. Once again at the end of this episode Marcel could have chosen to start the life with Rebekah he claimed he wanted but when it came down to it he once again turned her down and decided to devote his life to trying to reclaim power. Klaus did walk away from Marcel (which I think was an improvement for him) but Marcel really does need to leave at this point I think and I don’t want him sticking around for another season.

It looks like Genevieve may be sticking around, which I’m fine with because I think she has potential to be an interesting character. I also like how she isn’t going to just allow Marcel to push her around when he showed up and started making demands. I’ve never really liked the way Bonnie would just roll over for the Salvatores/Elena and she hasn’t really stood up for herself since Season 1. So I do like that Genevieve isn’t going to do that and she certainly owes Marcel nothing. Marcel was in on the plot to use her to bring Mikael to town and she died because of it so I hope she continues to stand-up for herself and not let Marcel push her around.

I have no idea what will happen with Davina at this point. I think her story already really played out. I do like that there was something – the witches were unhappy she had turned on them and sided with Marcel and helped him execute the witches. The ancestors really seem pretty horrible though because they also lead Monique to kill her own aunt (who was one of their own). I guess we’ll see how it plays out but I’m just not super-interested in her storyline right now.

Camille is just such a non-factor to me. Her only role appears to be that she acts like everyone’s therapist. I could maybe get on-board with her and Davina bonding but I don’t think Cami should be a love interest for either Klaus or Marcel – because there’s just nothing there.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemini9857 For This Useful Post:

Francy (12-03-14),glows (15-03-14),gregor (13-03-14)

Thanks

I thought Joseph Morgan's performance especially was fantastic in this episode. The scene where he goads Rebekah into admitting that maybe she did want him dead was amazing because of the sudden shocked and heartbroken look on his face. I agree with you that it was stupid to kill off Koll and Finn (and Esther) if they were going to do a show about the Originals, because I liked those characters and wanted this show to be about the original family, not a never-ending turf war in New Orleans between vampires, witches, and werewolves. Still, I'm more interested by the intricacies of Klaus's and Elijah's relationship than I am by the baby mama drama with stupid Hayley or Cami and her terrible, terrible fashion sense. And I agree with you on both counts about Davina- her story was already kind of played out, and I'm glad she's getting punished for betraying her own kind. It seems to get forgotten that Davina volunteered to do the harvest. I'm not saying the witches went about it the right away (I actually hate the witches, pretty much), but it's hard to forget how bullied and abused the witches of the Quarter were at the beginning of the show and that was done gleefully by Davina.

Thanks

This episode was probably the best I've watched the whole season, and it's sad that it's Claire's departure from the show. I was never a fan of Rebekah's, always self-absorbed and full of complaints, though she has been more enjoyable on TO than TVD. I had no idea she was leaving the show for good or had reservations about it to begin with but I am happy she left on a high note. Hopefully, a future return will happen? It makes me wonder what the dynamics of the show will be like, I understand is is The Originals and there are two which hardly qualifies as a group/family anymore. Both Joseph and Daniel are wonderful and unlike many fans have complained, I will still watch the show!

Besides everything already mentioned, the scene I was excited about was when Klaus opened the box containing his family's items. I REALLY hope they will explore his biological father's family (or remaining family now) because it would open some doors for his character. One thing I like more on TO than TVD is the exploration of witches and werewolves, they've created some interesting ideas that make the witches very hateful (but an understandable hatred) and the werewolves docile or restrained than they naturally are. I feel like it will ultimately be a battle royale between the witches and vampires/werewolves. A pact or a treaty between the factions would be the best solution but I doubt that will ever happen even as Marcel says he will offer one up, Genevieve figures it's for his own gain and not for the greater good. This episode was an end to a chapter of the story and I am curious where the rest of the season will lead.

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glows View Post
    This episode was probably the best I've watched the whole season, and it's sad that it's Claire's departure from the show. I was never a fan of Rebekah's, always self-absorbed and full of complaints, though she has been more enjoyable on TO than TVD. I had no idea she was leaving the show for good or had reservations about it to begin with but I am happy she left on a high note. Hopefully, a future return will happen? It makes me wonder what the dynamics of the show will be like, I understand is is The Originals and there are two which hardly qualifies as a group/family anymore. Both Joseph and Daniel are wonderful and unlike many fans have complained, I will still watch the show!
    Good news from Paleyfest is that she hasn't left permanently, she said she considered it a temporary hiatus because she missed her family and stuff http://tvline.com/2014/03/22/the-ori...on-1-spoilers/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mikey121 For This Useful Post:

glows (03-07-14)

Thanks

I loved this episode, the flashbacks and the performance by Claire and Joseph. That scene between the two close to the end is really, really good.

But I also have to say that I was fully on Rebekkak´s side because, and I´m sorry, but Klaus is a douchebag. I mean, the show tries to tell us that he´s not at fault and that people, his family do awful things and he´s the good guy but I just don´t buy it. He´s a compelling character but I´m not on his side and it annoys that the show tries to do that because Klaus does awful things to his siblings, mainly to Rebekkak in the past and he expects what? People to love him unconditionally? Sorry but no.

Still, this episode was amazing and even emotional at the end.