Thread: 1 x 14 Long Way Back From Hell & 1 x 15 La Grand Guignol

Thanks

Default 1 x 14 Long Way Back From Hell & 1 x 15 La Grand Guignol

Finally got caught up with The Originals last night... I find the witches confusing. Why were these particular witches resurrected by Celeste, and why would they just automatically go along with whatever she wants? What what Celeste's end game supposed to be? How is Celeste able to jump from body to body without another witch doing the complicated body-switching spell for her every time? I initially (at the beginning of the show) felt sympathetic toward the poor, bullied witches of the French Quarter, but if this is how they typically conduct business I can certainly see why Marcel wanted a thermo-nuclear check on them.

I liked Genevieve's interaction with Klaus. I liked that she was sympathetic with him because they were both betrayed by Rebekah- it was more realistic than the blanket evilness motive the others seem to have. Also, I loved Genevieve's line: God wasn't powerful because he was right, he was right because he was powerful. That's a pretty good summary of how power really works!

I really do not understand Rebekah and Marcel's plan with Mikael. It should have been perfectly obvious that the result would be exactly what happened, particularly if they had no idea when Mikael would be coming. It was at least half-likely that they might also die if he came, plus Elijah, who would obviously try to save Klaus. Regardless, even if the writers hadn't decided to show that Klaus 1) had a reason not to let them be together, and 2) eventually gave them his blessing, I now find it impossible to like either Rebekah or Marcel because of what they did. Especially Marcel- Klaus really did treat him like a son. I can't believe that they would conspire to KILL him. Has no one in that family ever heard of 'talking'? This is one of the problems I'm having with the show- the more they humanize Klaus the more Rebekah's hatred of him seems unjustified. Yes, he's a bully to her and treats her poorly. But the Klaus presented in the last few episodes seems like she could have tried reasoning with him, or at least enlisted Elijah to help intercede on her behalf. That would make a lot more sense than the idea that her go-to plan would be to kill her own brother.

Also, I expected more anger from Elijah about what Rebekah and Marcel did.

Glad Sabine/Celeste is dead. She was annoying, and inexplicably evil. And I'm beyond bored with the werewolves/Haley story. Also, it seems perfectly obvious that if there were two original bloodlines and Klaus is 1000 years old, he's either also wolf royalty or he's distantly related to Haley.

It was interesting to see Mikael- they did an okay job of justifying the terror the siblings have for him by showing him to be such a monster. Great scene between Elijah and Mikael that made me remember why I like Elijah so much (which I was beginning to forget because of his insipid crap with Haley).

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

I think Celeste chose to resurrect Papa Tundre because she knew he'd be vengeful and wanted to use him to go at Klaus. She knew about Rebekah/Genvieve since she was possessing that other witch so she knew Genvieve would be vengeful against Rebekah. Her plan was to try to punish Elijah by turning The Originals against each other - which she seemed pretty successful at by exposing Marcel & Rebekah's betrayal. I don't think she much of an end-game other to make Elijah paranoid that any witch could be her because she would continue to body-jump.

Genvieve is the witch I sympathize with the most so I'm glad she's the one who's still alive. She believed Rebekah was her friend and she thought she was helping her. Rebekah used her and then when Genvieve became a loose end so she had her killed in a terrible way. Celeste has stolen countless lives with all her body jumping - she takes the body of another witch and then uses it and then when she'd done with it and ready for a new body she disposes of her current one. For me that's actually worse that Katherine stealing Elena's body - at least Katherine only has taken over one body (and she chose the body of the person who shoved she cure down her throat and is therefore indirectly responsible for her dying of old age) and not dozens. I liked that Elijah was able to see what she doing and let Monique know that Celeste didn't really care about anyone but herself and wasn't interested in the welfare of the other witches and Monique did the spell. Papa Tundre was a good villain, but he was power hungry lunatic who Klaus had initially killed because the guy was running amok slaughtering people, werewolves, vampires, and witches that opposed him and destroying the peace amongst the different factions. We didn't see much of Bastiana so she's harder for me to judge - but from what we did see of her I didn't like her. Going around putting hexes on people so that they go on a killing rampage? Not good.

I doubt Marcel had ever even met Mikael before so he probably didn't know exactly what would happen. Rebekah on the other hand, there's no excuse. It seemed like they were all pretty content there and things were going well (although I'm not sure why nobody un-daggered Kol & Finn since things were good) and Rebekah ruined it. Like Klaus, Rebekah brings a lot of things on herself - she's responsible for her own unhappiness. Klaus didn't ruin things between her and Marcel - she did. She could always leave and live her own life if she's so unhappy (she could have stayed in Europe when her an Matt split-up instead of following Klaus everywhere he goes) but she never seems to do that.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with Elijah/Rebekah. It seems like he should be somewhat angry with her and Marcel for bringing Mikael to them - but I could understand that his more immediate concern is going to be to try to calm Klaus down so they could talk about things in a civilized manner because I don't think Elijah wants anyone to die.

Klaus' werewolf clan showed up out of the blue because they heard about the baby - they're not related to the cursed werewolves. I expect that with so many of the witches gone the show is going to shift to focus on the werewolves next. I think that Klaus is going to decide to explore that side of himself and that may tie in with Hayley and her clan somehow.

I liked having Mikael back for the flashbacks. It seems like the main reason he hates Klaus is because he's a werewolf which is something that he had no control over. It's genetic - like having brown hair or blue eyes. It certainly wasn't his fault that Esther had an affair and that he was born - that's on Esther, not Klaus.

I don't really like Marcel. I liked him at the beginning a bit because I thought he had potential but at this point I'd be fine if he died. He just comes off (to me) as someone who is power-hungry and he wanted The Originals gone so he could rule the city. He did exactly what Mikael wanted - he took everything for himself and tried to erase any memory of what The Originals had built there. I seriously doubt he ever really loved Rebekah or that he made any attempts to try to find her after he faked his death. I think he's just using Rebekah because he knows she'll fall for it every time. He also chose Davina (who was dead) over her. They had no idea how she would come back (I still think something is wrong with Monique since she killed her own aunt). There are lots of other witches in the world (who are alive) that they could have tried to locate - going back for Davina was really dumb on Rebekah's part.

I remember back in Season 3 Elijah told Klaus that if he hunted them down he would become everything he hated - their father. So Camille calling him out on the same thing was a nice parallel as well as the way they showed Mikael yelling while holding the white oak stake and then did the same with Klaus at the end.
    Last edited by Gemini9857; 05-03-14 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks

Klaus' werewolf clan showed up out of the blue because they heard about the baby - they're not related to the cursed werewolves. I expect that with so many of the witches gone the show is going to shift to focus on the werewolves next. I think that Klaus is going to decide to explore that side of himself and that may tie in with Hayley and her clan somehow.
    I'd have to watch it again, but I thought this Jackson person was saying that there were originally only two werewolf bloodlines and he and Hayley are descendants from those two lines. Maybe he was referring to two blood lines in New Orleans.

Her plan was to try to punish Elijah by turning The Originals against each other - which she seemed pretty successful at by exposing Marcel & Rebekah's betrayal.
    Yes, that's true. But to me that seems like a weird plan that is not in her own self-interest, and not one that the other witches would necessarily share motivation for. If all Celeste cares about is surviving, why would she do anything to tip them off that she's around? I mean, going after the Originals basically puts a giant target on the backs of these resurrected witches. They all seem to agree that the Originals can't be killed, so I think it's weird to expend so much effort on trying to turn them against each other. It's not like they're very united anyway! Why wouldn't these witches just be like "Hey! I'm alive again! Cool!" I suppose they want to drive the vampires and werewolves out of the city- how ironic is it that KLAUS is the only one who wanted all three groups to share the Quarter and managed to achieve that before Rebekah brought Mikael down on their heads?

I agree about Kol and Finn. It seems weird that Elijah would allow them to remain daggered for so incredibly long for no particular reason. I would really like them to explore Esther's dalliance with the werewolf who was Klaus's father, and hope they expand that. Esther is an interesting character.

Honestly, considering what was revealed about Rebekah and Marcel in these episodes, it is ridiculous that Rebekah doesn't see why Klaus is paranoid. Joseph Morgan is amazing at conveying heartbreak and alienation.

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Yeah, Jackson was only talking about the cured Crescent werewolves who have been in New Orleans for generations. Not all the werewolves in the world.

I think Celeste really believed that she was now immortal and that she would just jump into someone else and Elijah would have no idea who she'd be inhabiting next. So she screwed up his life and then was ready to move on to the next body. It was a total shock to her that she woke up in her own body. Celeste brought back witches that she knew had a vendetta against Klaus or Rebekah on purpose because she knew they'd want revenge and further her goals.

It actually makes sense to me that Klaus wasn't much into inter-specials rivalry. He's obviously a vampire but at the same time he is a werewolf as well so it totally made sense that he wouldn't hate either group (unlike Damon who thought all werewolves should die once he found out a bite was fatal, or Jules and her werewolf pack who hated all vampires). His mother was obviously a witch so he grew up around magic and probably had met numerous witches that he did like.