Thread: How do the Pagan gods fit in?

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Default How do the Pagan gods fit in?

How did the Pagan, Egyptian,Greek, and Roman Gods come to exist on Earth in the Supernatural Universe? Death confirmed that God created Earth, the Leviathans, angels, man, Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory. God created Eve and we know that Eve created the monsters; so I guess through a technicality, God created the Monsters. Did Eve create the others Gods? Does anyone have an opinion on this? Did they just...exist?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikey121 For This Useful Post:

Bittersweettwit (16-01-14),Ehlwyen (16-01-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 721 Posts

Fun stuff! Yeah, it could be as simple as they already existed. I wish the show would explore this more.

Anyway, the pagan gods on Supernatural are always about sacrifice and having followers. So it could be possible they originated out of people believing in them. Perhaps a similar manner in how the Talpa manifest itself in Season One's Hell House.

"God" is so loosely defined in this show, it's hard to really know who he is and what he did and what is stories he told to the angels. He might not be much different than the pagan gods except that he has the most followers right now.

Lydia made the punch!

I don't get wet Bittersweettwit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikey121 View Post
    How did the Pagan, Egyptian,Greek, and Roman Gods come to exist on Earth in the Supernatural Universe? Death confirmed that God created Earth, the Leviathans, angels, man, Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory. God created Eve and we know that Eve created the monsters; so I guess through a technicality, God created the Monsters. Did Eve create the others Gods? Does anyone have an opinion on this? Did they just...exist?
    Hi Mikey121!

This is an interesting question and not one I claim to be an expert on so if other users remember stuff I've neglected to mention or even something I've got wrong feel free to point out.

To answer your question it is most likely that the pagan gods came first in the supernatural verse although I doubt they are significantly older as we know Death claims to be of a similar age to the christian God Yahweh to the point where neither being can remember which was created first. The only concrete statement that I can recall comes from Hammer of the Gods

KALI
    Your story. Not ours. Westerners, I swear. The sheer arrogance. You think you're the only ones on earth? You pillage and you butcher in your God's name. But you're not the only religion, and he's not the only God. And now you think you can just rip the planet apart? You're wrong. There are billions of us. And we were here first. If anyone gets to end this world, it's me. I'm sorry.
    According to Kali she claims that they (the Pagan Gods) were there first but that statement in my opinion could be taken in multiple ways. She could be stating the most obvious i.e. that they came into existence before the Christian God. Another interpretation could be that they were worshipped by humans first as we know pagan religions existed before Yahweh appeared to Abraham the founder of Judaism.

What we do know for definite is that Yahweh is the most powerful God in the supernatural verse as shown by the fact that Lucifer a mere archangel was capable of killing a room full of gods effortlessly, but in the mythology of the supernatural verse this does not say anything in terms of whether Yahweh is the supreme God overall. The reason for this is that the show has consistently pointed out that the power of a God is rooted in the number of followers they have, in that light it is suiting that Yahweh (and the power he can grant to his sub-ordinates) is effortlessly above his fellow Gods. After all between the three key Abrahamic Religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) Yahweh has hundreds of millions followers throughout the world while the Pagan Gods have very few as their religions are significantly lessened if not dead in some cases in today's society.

But as I said that does not prove Yahweh as the 'supreme' God for instance if we were to skip forward a thousand years and imagine a world in which the abrahamic religions have fallen and the Roman Gods are the most dominantly worshipped according to the rules of the supernatural verse they should at that point be the most powerful of Gods .

Sorry for the rambly response
    Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Ah yes i remember that from Hammer of Gods now u mention it. It makes sense to have a Gods power tied to its followers, so yeah ure post makes the most sense that i can think of. Apart from, if the christian god created the world, that would imply he was way powerful before man even existed, before anyone believed in him.
    Good question because ive always liked the Pagan Gods, wish we saw more of them.

I also wondered, Eve isnt THE Eve right? as in Adam and Eve? The Leviathan called her a mutt... so im not certain what she is either. I maybe should focus more on tiny details :P
    Last edited by mikey121; 17-01-14 at 08:28 AM.