Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FORUM GOING OFFLINE (temporary)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Default FORUM GOING OFFLINE (temporary)

The forum is going to change hosts. To do this smoothly with minimal loss of posts (hopefully zero), we are taking the forum offline while we make the transfers. We expect this to take 24-48 hours.

I am not sure of the date and how taking the forum offline will manifest itself. But I wanted people to be aware that a disruption was going to happen in the next week or so.

You may want to make arrangements with how to contact any of your friends while the forum is away. And if you plan make any in depth posts, you should make a copy of them before posting so they arent lost.

I will update this thread when I know when the forum will go offline, but I dont know how much prior notice can be given. We have limited time to make this move happen and hope to do it sooner rather than later.

Most importantly...THANK YOU to everyone for making Buffyforums an amazing community for almost SEVEN years! I look forward to many more!

Lydia made the punch!

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Athanos (01-01-14),Bittersweettwit (31-12-13),Bre (02-01-14),buffylover (31-12-13),Emmie (10-01-14),Firecracker (10-01-14),Francy (31-12-13),galathea (31-12-13),HisMRS (01-01-14),Jenni Lou (01-01-14),Llywela (31-12-13),Mara (31-12-13),MikeB (31-12-13),Nina (31-12-13),Zugma (31-12-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,893 Times in 1,837 Posts

Just... make sure to come back, y'know?

Banner by LRae12

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (31-12-13),HisMRS (01-01-14),Stoney (31-12-13)

Thanks

Hear hear. Life wouldn't be the same. good luck!!
    JUST ENOUGH KILL

Banner by Ciderdrinker

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tangent For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (31-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Just... make sure to come back, y'know?
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent View Post
    Hear hear. Life wouldn't be the same. good luck!!
    Haha! Definitely plan too! Lots of love guys! Yeah, I definitely couldnt function without this place being alive in some form. I see I got a little carried away last night in my counting how many years it has been here. I corrected it now. Although, whether it is 7 or 8 years, the time has flown by so fast and been filled with so much!

Lydia made the punch!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Cori (01-01-14),MikeB (31-12-13),Zugma (31-12-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,795 Times in 5,284 Posts

Well I'm practically a newbie to you old timers and I can't remember what I used to do with my spare time before BF. Good luck, fingers crossed or what all.

Thanks

I'm currently saving in Word and reading through all my old posts. I'm currently up to:

General Discussions http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 01-07-13 08:00 PM
    Buffy http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/fo...r=desc&page=16 24-05-10 02:01 PM

I may within the next day or so start simply copying and pasting the still unread stuff so that I'm sure nothing is lost.

Anyway, I'm very happy that this Board will still exist. I consider it's the best forum anywhere for actual debate of the Buffyverse.

And I consider I probably should have moved from IM)b to here in 2008 instead of continuing to focus there and only eventually transferring to here in mid-2010.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (01-01-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

What host?? My host has unlimited storage!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    I may within the next day or so start simply copying and pasting the still unread stuff so that I'm sure nothing is lost.
    Don't worry, nothing will be lost. We've done already a test of moving the forum to the new host and everything was there (up to 24th of december, when I downloaded the database) so we have all the confidence that it will succeed next week as well

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rosely For This Useful Post:

Beck (01-01-14),Ehlwyen (01-01-14),galathea (01-01-14),HisMRS (01-01-14),Jenni Lou (01-01-14),MikeB (02-01-14)

Thanks

If anyone at all cares I've currently copied and pasted into Word and read up to:

General Discussions http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 27-12-13 08:19 AM
    Buffy http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/fo...er=desc&page=2 24-05-12 03:39 AM

So, far, it's at over 563K words at an average of around 43K words read per day.

I'm going to catch up in the AtS s5 re-watch as I certainly want to be caught up before "Destiny" (A 5.08) is discussed, but I'll eventually get through all the 'old stuff'.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (07-01-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    If anyone at all cares I've currently copied and pasted into Word and read up to:

General Discussions http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 27-12-13 08:19 AM
    Buffy http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/fo...er=desc&page=2 24-05-12 03:39 AM

So, far, it's at over 563K words at an average of around 43K words read per day.

I'm going to catch up in the AtS s5 re-watch as I certainly want to be caught up before "Destiny" (A 5.08) is discussed, but I'll eventually get through all the 'old stuff'.
    Hi Mike,

This is really not necessary, everything is saved. I've already made a test drive and moved the forum, the only reason we haven't moved yet, is because a) we will need to close it down for a little while to make sure there won't be any posts after I backup the database and thus nothing will be lost
    and b) we will have to move the domain dns.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosely For This Useful Post:

MikeB (08-01-14)

Thanks

Well, I always intended to eventually save all my posts and other relevant posts for my personal archive. These are fantastic discussions and I can see what opinions of mine have changed, how my debating and discussion style has changed, what the Board has and hasn't talked about and what it generally focuses on.

Until Season 9 ramps up -- unless we are going to discuss the Serenity comics in depth --, this is a good relative 'down time' to archive.

I'm going to get into the AtS s5 stuff but, I hope to have re-read through and archived everything before Season 9 begins in March.

Thanks

The forum will go offline around noon GMT on this Sunday, Jan 12 to do the transfer.

We are also going to try to do an upgrade of the forum. This hasnt been done in years because we have this version quite customized. However some of these customizations are dragging the forum. We hope the new upgrade will allow us to get new customizations that work better with the forum.

The Notepad in your UserCP is a customization that will be reset with an upgrade. YOU NEED TO COPY AND SAVE any information you have in your Notepad.

If your profile page is customized with colors, you may wish to make a screencapture or otherwise copy the information in "Customize Profile" in your User CP. This is the second option down on the left in your User CP.

Lydia made the punch!

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Bittersweettwit (08-01-14),Francy (08-01-14),galathea (08-01-14),Mara (08-01-14),MikeB (08-01-14),Nina (08-01-14),Stoney (08-01-14),Zugma (09-01-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    The forum will go offline around noon GMT on this Sunday, Jan 12 to do the transfer.

We are also going to try to do an upgrade of the forum. This hasnt been done in years because we have this version quite customized. However some of these customizations are dragging the forum. We hope the new upgrade will allow us to get new customizations that work better with the forum.

The Notepad in your UserCP is a customization that will be reset with an upgrade. YOU NEED TO COPY AND SAVE any information you have in your Notepad.

If your profile page is customized with colors, you may wish to make a screencapture or otherwise copy the information in "Customize Profile" in your User CP. This is the second option down on the left in your User CP.
    Thanks for the info!

Just a quick question: I am still using the outdated Chestnut style. Will that style still be available after the upgrade? I know Nikki kept it around even though it's no longer maintained.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by galathea View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Just a quick question: I am still using the outdated Chestnut style. Will that style still be available after the upgrade? I know Nikki kept it around even though it's no longer maintained.
    Hey Chris, unfortunately we will lose all the current styles with the upgrade but we will look for new ones, hopefully to try and match the colour schemes we currently have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    Hey Chris, unfortunately we will lose all the current styles with the upgrade but we will look for new ones, hopefully to try and match the colour schemes we currently have.
    Okay, good to know. I'm not going to complain. I am just happy we'll get to keep the place. I am sure you'll find suitable (and pretty) replacements.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to galathea For This Useful Post:

Rosely (08-01-14)

Thanks

Will PMs be saved, or will those be reset as well?

And will there be some kind of secret skin in the future?
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sherrilina View Post
    Will PMs be saved, or will those be reset as well?

And will there be some kind of secret skin in the future?
    The PMs should be fine. We've upgraded before with no problems. The pm system isn't an add on.

I think a lot us want a secretive skin so we will be looking into finding one.

Lydia made the punch!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

MikeB (08-01-14),sherrilina (10-01-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,795 Times in 5,284 Posts

What's a secret skin? (asks the technology idiot) It sounds very covert.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    It's a very bare version of the forum with no images, etc, so those of us who like to lurk at work can be covert and hang around on the forum without it being obvious that we're on a forum.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llywela For This Useful Post:

MikeB (08-01-14),Stoney (08-01-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    At the bottom left of the page there is a drop down menu of all the forum styles. It's the one call "Secretive."

Lydia made the punch!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Stoney (08-01-14)