The Fang Gang discusses Spike's ghost situation and ways of dealing with it in Just Rewards. Relevant portions of the text are spoiler cut for length:

Spoiler:
ANGEL
Well, I think that, "this isn't over yet, vampire," may be the tipoff. Look, guys, can we get back to my, uh, spiritual crisis?

WESLEY
Yes. Spike.

ANGEL
Popped out on me at Hainsley's place. But we all know that he'll be back and back and back, and I really don't want that happening again, so explain to me how we're gonna get him out of here.

FRED
He can't get out of here.

ANGEL
Please don't tell me that.

FRED
OK. Wesley...you tell him.

WESLEY
I've had my entire department doing thorough research on the amulet. There's not much. Not in the way of releasing Spike from it, anyway. At least not in the conventional sense.

ANGEL
And what's the unconventional sense?

WESLEY
Something he asked for. Eternal rest.

Spoiler:
ANGEL (O.S.)
This is an unusual situation, but I think it's our only choice.

WESLEY (O.S.)
It's what we'd do in any case of a haunting, isn't it? An exorcism of sorts.

FRED (O.S.)
We're talking about killing him.

Cut to:

27 INT. ANGEL'S OFFICE - NIGHT
Resume. Angel, Wes, Fred, and Gunn are discussing options for dealing with Spike.

FRED
I mean, I know he's already dead, but... he'd be gone-dead. Forever. It just doesn't seem right.

WESLEY
I agree, but neither is leaving him here, trapped between realms, with no control over his fate, not able to touch anything, affect anything. Unable to fight. Letting him cross over seems the most merciful thing—

ANGEL
Yeah, yeah, mercy. I'm all for it. Just, hey, tell me how we do it.

WESLEY
The amulet's protected, invulnerable to anything, but... the magic that's protecting it doesn't work on hallowed ground.

GUNN
Hallowed. Like a church?

WESLEY
Or cemetery, yes. It has to be taken there and destroyed.

FRED
Destroyed how?

WESLEY
I think a sharp blow would probably do the trick.

GUNN
Angel, what do you think?

ANGEL
(sits back in his chair)
I think I want to sleep on it

Do you think that the Fang Gang was planning on killing or sparing Spike pending Angel's decision or do you think the Fang Gang was solely discussing options with zero plans to do anything before talking to Spike?