Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future of the forum

Thanks

Default The future of the forum

As many of you know we have been struggling with our current hosting company, the annual hosting bill is huge and the support with the numerous problems is poor. What doesnít help is that I have no IT knowledge to do any trouble shooting myself and Iím away from home for 12 hours every day where I canít even log into the control panel for the server.

So Iím asking for help. What I would like to do is have a small group of co-owners of the forum. Preferably people with some technical knowledge (although not a lot is needed as Iíve done ok considering my extreme lack of it!) But also people who are able to be around often is really important, so when a problem does come it they can report it/deal with it quickly rather than having to wait for me to come online again.

There is no financial requirement needed as our members are super and generally the donations cover the costs.

I would like to move hosts, before we have to sign and pay for another year, which will be in January. Some help with this is crucial as I have no idea how to download and move the forum database.

Of course if you be-come a co-owner you will also be given administrator permissions on the forum as well, however this doesnít mean more work, the excellent moderators do everything needed with the threads.

If you are interested or have any questions please PM me or post below.

Thank you for your support, this is a great forum and hopefully this will be a new opportunity to make it run even smoother

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nikki For This Useful Post:

Bittersweettwit (03-12-13),Cori (03-12-13),Ehlwyen (02-12-13),Francy (02-12-13),galathea (02-12-13),Jenni Lou (02-12-13),little albatross (03-12-13),Nina (02-12-13),Rosely (04-12-13),Sky (02-12-13)

Thanks

I would like to help!

The thing is, I have no knowledge of how any of this works. I only have a very little HTMl knowledge, but a very little. Mostly just basics (how to create link/s etc), tho I am still learning. So I really don't know if I could be of any help I have no IT knowledge, nor do I know how to move the forum database.

I did try to find some help via google. So this may help...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/a...ql-server.aspx
    http://community.mybb.com/post-627337.html

The only thing I can offer, is some of my free time. I have the time to visit forum for an hour less/or more every day. Be it in the morning or afternoon.

But even then I have no idea how to do this...

so when a problem does come it they can report it/deal with it quickly rather than having to wait for me to come online again.
    A little explanation on what this entails would be great.

So what a pointless post I made . Anyway, my advice is to wait for some people with more knowledge then me. You can always use me as the last resort The thing I could be able to do is report the problem (by using email?). Or contact other new co-worker, or already existing Administrator. So if my job requirement is only to contact other member/s via email or pm's here on the forum. That I can do. The other I really don't know. Tho I wouldn't mind some experience, since I am starting to learn HTML

Anyway good luck! Hopefully people will contact you over this.

Sorry for the rambling. I hope at least my links will help a little.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sky For This Useful Post:

Nikki (03-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    I would like to help!

The thing is, I have no knowledge of how any of this works. I only have a very little HTMl knowledge, but a very little. Mostly just basics (how to create link/s etc), tho I am still learning. So I really don't know if I could be of any help I have no IT knowledge, nor do I know how to move the forum database.

I did try to find some help via google. So this may help...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/a...ql-server.aspx
    http://community.mybb.com/post-627337.html
    Thanks for the links and the offer to help Sky. Unfortunately moving the forum isnít really something that even reading about will make me confident enough to do on my own as SQL databases and the like is something I know nothing about. I can't download the forum also as it's too big and times out!

It's also not HTML knowledge that's needed to run this site. It's PHP, SQL and general server administrator knowledge. Being able to understand the tech support team when they say I need to do something on the server to re-set an IP thatís been blocked. Itís also being able to log into the hosting site and open support tickets, clearly descriping the problem, like downtime, slow access. Giving logís from the server that explain the load itís had over the last 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    The only thing I can offer, is some of my free time. I have the time to visit forum for an hour less/or more every day. Be it in the morning or afternoon.

But even then I have no idea how to do this...

A little explanation on what this entails would be great.
    As above, itís about being around several times during the day, being able to access and log into the server to check on any problems (I canít log into the server from work and Iím only online from home an hour at most once a day).

Generally Iíll get an email from a member saying they canít access the forum or any of the sites because their IP has been caught in the firewall, I then ask them to send me their IP and go to the support page and raise a ticket for the IT team to pick up. Theyíll often ask me to run something and then itís fixed. This whole process can take 24 hours and if I can only start it 12 hours after the issue has been reported thatís not helpful.

So itís really just being around to be a point of contact between the members and the host. Reporting issues, checking server load, backing up the forum. But it does require some knowledge because honestly I have none and I need someone to lean on rather than the other way as my time is going to be even less next year and if I donít get someone who can help then the forum will probably be lost moving hosts as I canít stay with the current ones.

I hope a few people come forward at this request. It will be sad to see this place go but I can no longer run it on my own.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,695 Times in 1,275 Posts

The reason I didn't reply yesterday is that I'm not the best suited person for the job. I'm afraid that my knowledge in this area is lacking (read: I know nothing about PHP & SQL) but I'm around quite a lot. So if you find one person who wants to teach me or who needs a flunky to help out, I'm available.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Nikki (06-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    The reason I didn't reply yesterday is that I'm not the best suited person for the job. I'm afraid that my knowledge in this area is lacking (read: I know nothing about PHP & SQL) but I'm around quite a lot. So if you find one person who wants to teach me or who needs a flunky to help out, I'm available.
    Same I would love to help you out but I know nothing of PHP and SQL and I have no one around who knows about it and who I could bribe....but I live online so I could devote some time to the forum if you would need that If you find someone with knowledge and you still feel like you need extra help I am availible as well
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

Nikki (06-12-13)

I don't get wet Bittersweettwit's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to help!

But like others in the thread I have no experience with using PHP and SQL! But I am online alot and willing to learn if there are any experts willing to teach a novice the very basics . I am willing to help in whatever way is needed whether as one of the co-admins or even as a moderator if one of the current moderators take one of the co-admin spots and decide they can't handle both duties
    Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bittersweettwit For This Useful Post:

Nikki (06-12-13)

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the offers. Rosely has kindly offered to help with the move as that is the big challenge. If anyone is willing to learn how to manage vbulletin forums and server management then please let me know when you feel confident enough to help with database back ups etc then I will add you as admins to the forum and server.

I had hoped to get a small group together ready for the post move getting things up and running. But I really do need people with a bit of knowledge as I can't offer any support to anyone starting out.

I plan to step down a lot next year so until we get some new admins any issues will go unresolved. I appreciate the people wanting to help and if you do feel you can learn and be confident with this then let me know.

Let's hope we don't have any issues next year!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    Thanks everyone for the offers. Rosely has kindly offered to help with the move as that is the big challenge. If anyone is willing to learn how to manage vbulletin forums and server management then please let me know when you feel confident enough to help with database back ups etc then I will add you as admins to the forum and server.

I had hoped to get a small group together ready for the post move getting things up and running. But I really do need people with a bit of knowledge as I can't offer any support to anyone starting out.

I plan to step down a lot next year so until we get some new admins any issues will go unresolved. I appreciate the people wanting to help and if you do feel you can learn and be confident with this then let me know.

Let's hope we don't have any issues next year!
    Okay, I am far from being an SQL & PHP expert and I have no experience with vbulletin, but I do have an IT background and know a thing or two about server and database management, so I could probably help with the administrative part of running the forum. The problem is that my personal situation is a bit chaotic at the moment; I need to move house and my computer is in its final throes, all of which limits my online time considerably. I assume that my situation in either regard will have resolved itself in about 4-6 months, at which I could think about taking a more active participation in running the forum. So, that's all I can offer at this moment.
    Last edited by galathea; 06-12-13 at 06:55 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to galathea For This Useful Post:

Cori (06-12-13),Ehlwyen (07-12-13),HisMRS (08-12-13)

Thanks

A question... How attached is everyone to Vbulletin as the forum software? It is just I have an invision power board license going unused and I have some experience of using IPB for things like backing up databases and restoring them. From the sounds of it the IPB back up management is more user friendly than Vbulletins.

I just thought I'd mention it as another option
    Livejournal

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bittersweettwit For This Useful Post:

Cori (06-12-13),Ehlwyen (07-12-13),Jenni Lou (07-12-13),Rosely (16-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bittersweettwit View Post
    A question... How attached is everyone to Vbulletin as the forum software? It is just I have an invision power board license going unused and I have some experience of using IPB for things like backing up databases and restoring them. From the sounds of it the IPB back up management is more user friendly than Vbulletins.

I just thought I'd mention it as another option
    I suppose the problem is that you can't just upload the vbulletin database into a different forum software, which means we would loose all content of this board and would need to start over.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by galathea View Post
    I suppose the problem is that you can't just upload the vbulletin database into a different forum software, which means we would loose all content of this board and would need to start over.
    If the current vbulletin installation was upgraded from Vbulletin 3 to VBulletin 4 invision power board have converter tools which can be used to convert the database from VB to IPB.

It's completely up to Nikki and whoever else would be involved in running the site. I just figured since I have the licence sitting unused Id offer is all
    Livejournal

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bittersweettwit For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (08-12-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,104 Posts

If the current vbulletin installation was upgraded from Vbulletin 3 to VBulletin 4 invision power board have converter tools which can be used to convert the database from VB to IPB.

It's completely up to Nikki and whoever else would be involved in running the site. I just figured since I have the licence sitting unused Id offer is all
    I think that it's great that you mentioned!! If everything else fails and in the end the forum needs to be shut down, at least we know that there is a possible alternative for the future!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

If the board was moved to Invision Power Board, I have some experience in that. I know very little about VBulletin though... However I don't have a LOT of free time to help with the board; it's the main reason I stepped down from being a moderator at Buffy-Boards.com :/ But if I CAN be of help I would love to.

Thanks

That is a wonderful option. I don't know how easy it is to upgrade from 3 to 4 though... I know with some backend systems upgrading to a new major release can be a pain...

However, I don't know how attached everyone is to all the old posts?
    We could try upgrading and then if it doesn't work, just start over with IPB with another host, and then only keep/move the domain...

Edit:
    This Youtube makes it sounds easy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_HsD0QNgn4

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosely For This Useful Post:

Cori (16-12-13),HisMRS (17-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosely View Post
    That is a wonderful option. I don't know how easy it is to upgrade from 3 to 4 though... I know with some backend systems upgrading to a new major release can be a pain...

However, I don't know how attached everyone is to all the old posts?
    We could try upgrading and then if it doesn't work, just start over with IPB with another host, and then only keep/move the domain...

Edit:
    This Youtube makes it sounds easy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_HsD0QNgn4
    Sure thing . As I said I have the license and should be able to afford to maintain it since it's only $25 every six months or something like that. So the forum software end of things shouldn't be a worry if we do go down the route of starting again using IPB.

The only thing would be the hosting I'd prefer for someone else to handle that side of things (collecting donations etc)
    Livejournal

Thanks

Sure it would be nice to keep the old posts but if we have to start anew without the old posts but could still have some kind of forum, then I think the choice is really easy. I think the thing I'm trying to say is that I would just like to have any kind of forum, no matter the form or shape. Maybe one with fewer sections and threads that would be easier to manage through a less difficult system?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cori For This Useful Post:

Bittersweettwit (17-12-13),HisMRS (17-12-13)

Thanks

For all those who want to learn. This site can help you learn (almost) anything to be able to do this things.!

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sky For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (28-12-13)

Thanks

Small update: We've been able to move it to a new host, the domain transfer will be later on, we'll update you guys about downtime when it'll happen.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rosely For This Useful Post:

Cori (28-12-13),Ehlwyen (29-12-13),galathea (28-12-13),Jenni Lou (28-12-13),Mara (28-12-13),MikeB (30-12-13),Veverka (29-12-13),Zugma (28-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosely View Post
    Small update: We've been able to move it to a new host, the domain transfer will be later on, we'll update you guys about downtime when it'll happen.
    Ooh what host did you guys go for?
    Livejournal

Thanks

Everyone should thank Ehlwyen (and by thank I mean worship!) for stepping up to take over the forum. And also huge thanks and praise to Rosely for doing all the hard work moving the forum so we don't lose anything.

33. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Nikki For This Useful Post:

Bittersweettwit (28-12-13),Cori (28-12-13),Ehlwyen (29-12-13),Francy (28-12-13),galathea (28-12-13),HisMRS (07-01-15),Jenni Lou (28-12-13),Mara (28-12-13),MikeB (30-12-13),Nina (28-12-13),Rosely (28-12-13),Stoney (28-12-13),Veverka (29-12-13),Zugma (28-12-13)