Thread: 5x07 Death and the Maiden

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Default 5x07 Death and the Maiden

Im not too thrilled about the Katherine rapidly aging story-line, but I guess well just have to wait and see where it goes. I wonder where shes going to head off to next now that Caroline has kicked her out because Elena & Bonnie are moving in. How can Bonnie even start college once the semester has already begun anyway?

Im really glad that Silas, Amara & Tessa are now gone because the Silas story-line was really starting to drag and was just taking too long it started way back at the beginning of Season 4. There were just way too many doppelgangers on the show and we did need to get rid of some of them. Sadly, we cant get rid of Elena my least favourite doppelganger.

Elena always seems to make everything all about her. She wants Stefan to be okay so she wont feel guilty but I really think she just makes it worse for him. Shes not really letting him move forward with his life which I think is really what he needs to do. Stefan needs to get some space away from Elena.

Amara was clearly not in a good place after spending 2000 years as the anchor. I cant believe that Damon & Elena didnt consider the possibility that if Bonnie became the anchor she would end up like that as well. Bonnie may have been better off being dead but now shes going to have to feel the pain of every supernatural being that has ever died and will see dead supernatural beings all over the place.

Thanks

I agree that THANK GOD Silas, Tessa, and Amara are all gone. It was getting ridiculous, and was one of the most shameless pieces of retconning I've seen in a long time. Was I the only one thinking to myself "why are these ancient Greek people speaking modern day English?"

I reiterate my rant from the last episode: Alaric, Jenna, Lexi, Anna, Vicky... all these poor souls stuck in an artificial supernatural limbo- but the only thing that any of the main characters care about is keeping the Other Side in place to get Bonnie back, even if it means making her an anchor that keeps the Other Side in existence. That's appalling. The second they discovered that the Other Side was not an inevitable, metaphysical punishment for supernatural beings but rather the result of a spell, they should have been fixated on getting rid of it! Ok, rant over.

The business about Stefan being traumatized and on the verge of going crazy because of the water torture seems like an effort to make him interesting. That's what the Ripper storyline felt like, and it's what this feels like. I don't know why it's so hard to make Stefan interesting, but it really is. I used to really like the tension between the brothers in the early seasons, and I feel like that is missing. Elena choosing Damon seems to have (understandably) broken the bond between the brothers beyond repair, and that makes me sad. It seems like the natural thing now would be for Stefan to leave Mystic Falls and try to get on with his life, so now they'll need some new plot contrivance to keep him around since he's one of the main characters. Even in a show about vampires, the three main characters all being together all the time is not believable.

Katherine... meh. I think it's weird that they introduced Nadia only to have Katherine blow her off. And why is Nadia totally obsessed with Katherine anyway, to the extent that she decided to become a vampire and follow her trail for four hundred years or whatever. What was she expecting, a normal mother-daughter relationship with someone who looks the same age and hasn't been human for at least four centuries? And as for the rapid aging thing, I'm not sure how I feel about all that. Why would the rapid aging be just slow enough to give her a few months to live? Why wouldn't she just turn to dust immediately? I don't know what they're going to do with her now if she sticks around, but I'll be sad if she actually dies. She brings a lot of spice to the show in a way that Elena doesn't.

As for Bonnie, I agree that it should have been pretty obvious that her being the living anchor for the Other Side could make her go a little nuts after awhile and this was something they all should have seen coming. I guess I'm glad she's back, although I will never understand why any of these guys would have any interest in college after the past few years. At least since Bonnie is mortal it means the Other Side will disappear (presumably) when she dies.
    Last edited by gregor; 15-11-13 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,104 Posts

I seem to be in the minority (on this board) but, despite the lame retconning (what can you do about it...it is what it is) I liked the Tessa/Silas/Amara storyline, and I'll miss their crazy asses now that they are gone (but technically we could/should see the ghosts of Silas and Tessa all the time, since they can talk to Bonnie... but I guess we will just have to handwave that like we handwave all the other dead characters never manifesting themselves to Jeremy or Bonnie).

I LOVED the opening scene with Silas at the bus stop, so hilarious! And I'll miss Tessa's bitchy one liners. I'm kinda sad that Q-Tessa in the end "won" (not much of a victory, if you ask me... but if she's satisfy, more power to her!)

Nothing about the other side makes sense, but I'm past caring.

I don't give a damn about Bonnie (she should have stayed dead.... she has suffered enough, and to bring her back just to put her through eternal suffering is just.... distasteful. Also, she bores me, and the writers totally mistreat her character. I can't see that changing anytime soon.) or Bonnie/Jeremy. I doze off everytime this boring couple is onscreen.... I doze off even just thinking about it. Jeremy should never have been brought back to life, it made the whole season 4 no-humanity Elena invalid.

Death really has NO meaning anymore on this show.

I hate Elena (most self-centered and annoyingly phony person ever) and I hate Damon (worst brother ever). Just.. go away and live your epic, universe-defying love where I don't have to watch the both of you.

I don't know how they will solve the Katherine situation, but they'll better do it... because they can't afford to kill Katherine (fan favourite who - judging by the internet - 99% of the viewers prefer to the main protagonist).

The scenes with Katherine and Nadia really saddened me, but I understood why Katherine pushed Nadia away. It's partly that she is wired that way after 500 years of pushing people away for self-preservation, and therefore it comes easier to her to reject her than to open up to her; and at the same time it was also an act of kindness, in her misguided way, because she knows she's dying soon and it's better for both of them not to grow an attachment to each other. I hope this is not it for them, though.

They'll better save Katherine, because at this point Stefan and she are the only reason I'm still watching the show. And they'll better stop torturing Stefan... I can't stand to see him hanging around Delena like a wounded puppy... I wish the writers would allow him to grow a spine, and to keep it. I wish they could let him cross over to TO for a little while, to put some distance between him and the other two... make him fall for reformed!Katherine, let him do something other than be there to take humiliating speeches from Elena about how she needs him to be okay so she can not feel guilty about having the best time of her life with the brother she dumped him for while he was busy dying over and over again.

This show is infuriatingly awful. But also fun if I ignore the triangle, so I'm stuck watching it.

Not looking forward to the college mystery at all... it sounds dull. But we will see.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gregor View Post

As for Bonnie, I agree that it should have been pretty obvious that her being the living anchor for the Other Side could make her go a little nuts after awhile and this was something they all should have seen coming. I guess I'm glad she's back, although I will never understand why any of these guys would have any interest in college after the past few years. At least since Bonnie is mortal it means the Other Side will disappear (presumably) when she dies.
    I don't think she is mortal. She's a ghost - she just has a foothold on our side now (like the ghosts did in Ghost World & Graduation). I thought that was why Tessa agreed to make her the anchor - Amara was now mortal, but since Bonnie was already dead Tessa wouldn't have to worry about the anchor dying.

Thanks

You're right, that makes sense. Tessa wouldn't make a mortal person the anchor because then Silas would be with Amara as soon as Bonnie dies. I don't know, that makes me even more disgusted with them all for thinking that solution would be better than just accepting that sometimes people die.

I'm really not sure where this show goes now, I have to admit. The love triangle is moot, because even if Elena breaks up with Damon at some point, it would be beyond belief that she would ever be with Stefan again. Or that Stefan would go back to her after she chose Damon. (Seriously, if they go there I will have to wash my hands of the whole mess. That would be too gross.) So if the triangle really is defunct now, I don't know what they'll find to replace it for the central tension of the show, especially since so many of the other main characters are dead now.

Caroline used to be one of my favorites to watch, but since Klaus left she's been a bit boring- she's deeply immersed in college life, which is really weird and annoying to watch after everything that's happened over the last four years. She's acting like shallow-Caroline from the first season, practically. I don't want to watch her date Jesse.

And now I'm left wondering what happens to Matt, because he's still possessed by Nadia's 'traveler' boyfriend. Nadia isn't likely to go anywhere without him.
    Last edited by gregor; 15-11-13 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks

I wander if it is possible Catherine to becomes a vampire again ? The vampire blood doesn't apply to her anymore. Does she gonna die now ? I like her and I don't wnat she dies. And I continue to watch the show only becuase I already start it and I hate to drop things in the middle. But I liked the first seasones much more.
    maked by plamivasi

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

I really doubt they will kill off Katherine, she is a huge fan favourite, people like her more than they like Elena. And lately they arent willing to kill off even unliked characters like Bonnie (I like her though, so im glad).

Thanks

I used to really dislike Bonnie, but I've come around on her a little. The writers originally made her too snotty and judgmental, but they appear to have toned that down.

So... I don't really understand what happened with the 'cure'. We were told that Silas had to drink all Katherine's blood for the cure to pass to him, but she's still alive. Does that mean he didn't get all her blood? Then Silas had the cure and Amara stabbed him in the neck and drank his blood and became mortal. So why didn't Silas die, and why were they BOTH then mortal? And for that matter, why could the cure only be made once? I'm glad that story arc is done, because it didn't make the smallest bit of sense.

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gregor View Post
    I used to really dislike Bonnie, but I've come around on her a little. The writers originally made her too snotty and judgmental, but they appear to have toned that down.
    For me it's the opposite. I liked that she was not okay with vampires going around town killing people. I enjoyed it when she stood up for herself and did what she believed the right thing (like not de-spelling the vampire thing at the end of Season 1) because if she had done what Damon & Elena wanted the tomb vampires would have massacred the Founding Families.

Now it seems like she just lets everyone walk all over her and she no longer stands up for herself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemini9857 For This Useful Post:

Francy (18-11-13)

Thanks

I see your point, and I guess it's true that when she was being bitchy it was usually because she was not willing to be okay with vampires just because her best friend was romantically involved with one- but the show itself has undergone a pretty monumental shift on that since seasons 1 and 2.

It almost seems funny in retrospect that the big conflict between Damon and Stefan at one point was that Damon wanted to release Katherine from the tomb and Stefan 'couldn't allow that to happen' because it would also release a bunch of other vampires. It's amusing to remember a time on the show when vampires were so rare in Mystic Falls that it would be considered a big catastrophe for a dozen or so to be out and about. And that Stefan thought all vampires were so terrible that he thought they should all be staked, pretty much, including Damon.

I guess in some ways this is a problem that happens inevitably on supernaturally themed dramas; the need for increasingly menacing villains makes the show less and less like it was when it started. The need to top last season's antagonist leads to a lot of retconning and increasingly out-there plots. But then once you've had a villain who was going to destroy the world or end reality as we know it or whatever, it's a little difficult to go back to a MOTW, or to focus on character nuances.

Thanks

I didn't care too much about whether Bonnie came back or not, but hopefully it opens up a decent storyline for her and makes it harder for her to constantly save everyone with magic.

I'm interested in how they are going to save Katherine. I know they all don't like her but she has helped them this season a fair bit (Even when not by choice) so I hope Bonnie can find a way to help her. I don't see them killing her off, she's by far the most interesting character at this point. I'm also hoping they find something for Caroline to do other than harp on about college.

Thanks

I'm also hoping they find something for Caroline to do other than harp on about college.
    Ha! Couldn't agree more. Must be a bit of a rude awakening for Caroline this season, going from being a woman coveted by the one thousand year-old original vampire to just another bouncy blonde chatting up guys at college bonfires. I'm very disappointed at how they're writing her right now. I will say this- when the show depicts Caroline and Elena as typical college freshman interested in partying and meeting guys, it really underlines how fundamentally gross it is for Stefan, Damon and Klaus to be romantically interested in such young women. Cripes, Klaus is 982 years older than Caroline!

Thanks

I also didn't understand about "the cure "thing " . It also doesn't makes sense to me that Katherine is getting old now. May be the cure working exactly in this way - it would kill her, but not immediately. The lack of the cure will kill her but slowly. Ewww. I want they figured out a way to save Katherine. Her character is interesting. I don't want her to become nice and good as Elena. I like her in the way she is. She is not so souless though. When she said to Nadia to leave her alone, she done it, becuase she already knew that she gonna die soon. May be Katherine don't want to makes Nadia to feel sorrow for her.
    maked by plamivasi