Thread: 9x02 Devil May Care

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,104 Posts

Default 9x02 Devil May Care

So, just a few quick impressions after having seen the episode...very good one, imo!!!

I enjoyed it very much, except for a couple of things.

It was action-packed and entertaining, if not groundshaking in content. I enjoyed the ensemble feel of this episode and the inclusion of other hunters (it's always good when they remember that there are other hunters out there, and that the Winchesters aren't the alone in "fighting the good fight").

Abbadon is badass and a good villain so far. Alaina Huffman is very charismatic and I could watch her all day, so I'm happy that they brought her back.

I liked the antagonistic yet flirty interaction between her and Dean... creepy.

The Crowley parts of the episode were also good, especially his confrontation with Kevin. Both Mark and Osric gave intense performances and played each other off well... I hope for Kevin that Crowley isn't lying and that Linda is indeed still alive. Give the poor kid a break!

And in the spirit of giving the kid a break, I loved the scene in which Dean convinced him to stay at the bunker, and told him he was family. Awww! Kevin really needed to hear that after all the crap he's been through.

About Crowley... I hope we start seeing soon in what ways the ritual changed him, and it'll better be interesting, otherwise his character (as much as I enjoy him) becomes very redundant at this point if he's only there to snark.

I also enjoyed the continuity from the previous episode (I hope this sticks....last year the lack of continuity frustrated me so much), with Dean explaining Cas' situation to Sam.

On the other hand, I wasn't crazy about that Tracy girl. It might have been the actress, or her attitude, or the way she was dressed... but I just couldn't take her seriously as a hunter, and she rubbed me the wrong way. If we never see her again, I won't be sorry.

The other thing I don't like is Samezekiel. It makes me mad. For years the writers have been complaining about how difficult it is to write for Castiel, how he was too powerful to be around the Winchesters because he was a deus-ex-machina that solved things too quickly, and made the brothers useless (nevermind the fact that when Cas wasn't in an episode, there was the Bobby Singer deus-ex-machina ready for action )... so they screwed up his character in all different ways in order to limit his involvement: they kept him offscreen most of the time, incapacitated him in some way whenever he was around, then they took away his powers, then they made him go evil, then they wrote him off the show, then they brought him back, but crazy, then they had him brainwashed for a whole season, and finally they made him human (and STILL he isn't allowed to be with the brothers... so at this point it becomes clear that the power thing was just an excuse).

And now, as soon as the brotehrs don't have their convenient angel ally/friend, what do they writers do?? Give SAM angelic powers, of course!! So now whenever they are in danger Zeke can take control and zap/smite everyone. Cool. That isn't convenient and deus-ex-machina-y at all. Eff you, show.

I said at the end of last season that if they were going to turn Sam into an angel, I was out. This is not it, but close enough to irritate me.
    Seeing Samezekiel projecting his wings made me all nostalgic for Angel Cas. And I don't think Jared is pulling playing Ezekiel off very well, it's awkward. So I hope this doesn't last too long (not counting all the moral issues that go with the non-consensual possession, but we talked about it last week). If there is to be a Winchester-helping angel around, it might just as well be Cas.... if they are trying to replacing him, I'm not here for it!

Sam is suddenly happy now, but booho, Dean is hiding a big secret! Cue ominous music and guilty-looking Dean. Been there, done that. Don't really care anymore! When Sam finds out, they'll fight/have a harsh confrontation about the betrayal; there will be trust issues for a while,then they'll hug and make up before the winter hiatus.

Next one is written by The Wife and Her Partner. Fasten your seatbelts, people!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (17-10-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,764 Posts

I liked this episode as well. I decided to try watching S9 after giving pretty much the entirety of S8 a miss, so take my opinions with a grain of salt, but I thought it was enjoyable. I was really bored by the premier so I thought this was a far stronger episode even if it wasn't earthshattering. Still not a fan of Kevin or Crowley but I enjoyed the two new hunters (it reminds me of what the show used to be) and Abbadon is a GREAT villain.

The Dean/Demon woman fight and flirt has been done to death on this show but Jensen and Alaina did have particularly great chemistry. The actress is very good and I look forward to more scenes between her and Jensen (and just her in general). The demons have gotten very lame over the years so I rather enjoyed the scene of her criticising Crowley and the sorry state the demon community have found themselves in.

I had heard that the brothers got their very own batcave last season and this is the first time I have seen it! I love the design of the set and I think it's a great idea.

Francy, I wouldn't worry too much about the convenience of 'SamEzikial' as I'm sure the writers will throw a spanner in the works soon. Having Sam's angel save him this once doesn't really negate everything they said about Castiel being a deus-ex-machina and the problems that arose by always having him around. I get the impression they had Ezikial step up to the plate more so to make Dean feel uncomfortable about the angel rising in Sam and how it can take hold of him at any moment. Dean had reason to be grateful this time but it was obvious Ezekialís resurfacing made Dean feel uncomfortable about what he did last episode and the influence the angel has over Sam against his will, as it should. Castiel posed a long term problem whereas Iím sure Ezekial wonít stay inside Sam for more than the entire season, if that, and Iím sure the writers will think come up with something to prevent him always saving the day. I really didn't feel it was a cop-out given how disturbing the whole thing is whereas if Sam had gave Ezekial his consent and was fully aware that he had a demon inside of him then it would feel way too easy.

Overall I liked this but since I've missed out on so much I can't really form an opinion about whether or not itís doing the show's storylines justice right now. I don't know anything about Abbadon's backstory for instance, but overall I did find it a much more enjoyable episode. It was entertaining and actually made me want to watch next week.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

bluememe (16-10-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post

Francy, I wouldn't worry too much about the convenience of 'SamEzikial' as I'm sure the writers will throw a spanner in the works soon. Having Sam's angel save him this once doesn't really negate everything they said about Castiel being a deus-ex-machina and the problems that arose by always having him around. I get the impression they had Ezikial step up to the plate more so to make Dean feel uncomfortable about the angel rising in Sam and how it can take hold of him at any moment. Dean had reason to be grateful this time but it was obvious Ezekialís resurfacing made Dean feel uncomfortable about what he did last episode and the influence the angel has over Sam against his will, as it should. Castiel posed a long term problem whereas Iím sure Ezekial wonít stay inside Sam for more than the entire season, if that, and Iím sure the writers will think come up with something to prevent him always saving the day. I really didn't feel it was a cop-out given how disturbing the whole thing is whereas if Sam had gave Ezekial his consent and was fully aware that he had a demon inside of him then it would feel way too easy.
    We will see. The whole thing just bugs the hell out of me, maybe because I'm beyond sick of Sam and of the fact that there is always something special/wrong/supernatural going on with him. Can't we have normal, regular Sam for a season? I'm sad that the show has made me hate Sam in these last couple of seasons, because I'm fed up of with the way they use him and the neverchanging structure of the show. I'm at a limit.... I'm hanging on because I still love Cas despite everything, and the mythology still appeals to me... but I'm at the point where even thinking about this show gives me stomach ache. So I'll see how it goes this season...

So far the season seems to be shaping up much better than season 8, Samezekiel aside. So here's hoping for good things to come.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,764 Posts

Well, I can't disagree with you there. I’ll never understand why a room of imaginative writers can’t come up with something new instead of repeating the same storyline over and over again. After 9 years there’s bound to be some repetition but it boggles my mind that it hasn’t even occurred to them to switch up the dynamic a bit. I mean, why not have Dean go through this so that Sam has to look after him instead? Surely that has to have crossed their minds when your show pretty much has only two protagonists? By S9 you think they would have literally exhausted all storytelling possibilities by now but they haven’t even tried what has to be one of the most simplistic ideas available. It just astounds me that not a single person in that writer's room has said "Hey, we've kind of done this storyline too many times now. Why don't we have Dean get sick/have something wrong with him/supernatural going on with him and have Sam take care of him instead? It might change up the dynamic a bit" I mean, it’s certainly not a ground-breaking idea but you’d think that by the time we get to S9 they’d have been utterly bored by keeping the characters stuck in these same roles.

But SN writers in particular do seem to have trouble letting things go. I think Crowley is way past his use by date, it's no secret that I think they should have pretty much written out the angels completely after Swan Song, and I wish they hadn't brought Bobby back for his ghost storyline after his death. They do have a habit of beating things to death. I don't hate Sam, though. I've always much preferred Dean as a character but the repetition of these storylines hasn't made me feel any ill feelings towards Sam. I think the reason for that is that, for the most part, Sam hasn't had any control over being used like this so whilst it feels like the show is spinning its wheels it isn't the character repeating the same mistakes over and over again which would make him incredibly unlikable.

But I really don't want to be overly negative as this is the first episode I've enjoyed in a long time! It felt more reminiscent of earlier seasons and Abbaon is the best Big Bad they’ve had in quite some time.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 16-10-13 at 11:50 AM.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

I agree about the show being very repetitive. It does feel like the same thing over and over again a lot of the time.

It was a so-so episode for me. I did appreciate the callback to Sam letting Lucifer out of his cage.

I feel bad for Kevin - still. I do think Dean is right about him not being safe anywhere but I also think Crowley is right and when it comes down to it Sam & Dean always chose each other.

Thanks

I liked the episode a lot, it was interesting and again, shows the exciting direction this season can take. I also love Abbadon but what bugs me a bit is how Sam looks. He really looks like a dying man, skinny and all.