Thread: Homeland season 3

Thanks

Default Homeland season 3

So I just watched episode 3.02 and I have to say I'm rather underwhelmed with season 3 so far. I really hope the writers/creators have a plan where they are going with this season because so far I don't see it. These first two episodes were not exactly thrilling. I hate how they are writing Saul and how they are destroying the Saul and Carrie relationship. And what was up with Saul being all racist to the new CIA employee? He used to be able to differentiate much better than that. This is not the Saul I know and love.

Claire Danes is fantastic at portraying Carrie's unravelling, it was once again very uncomfortable to watch. However, I prefer it when Carrie manages to balance her condition with being an excellent CIA agent so her current storyline is rather frustrating to me.

Personally I'm not that interested in Dana's love life, but I did love the scene with her and Jess where she explained her state of mind to her mother and the scene where she found Brody's prayer mat and knelt down on it because it tied Dana back to Brody.

And speaking of Brody: I know the creators said that he wasn't going to be in the first two episodes but the show really suffers from his absence IMO. His character and never knowing where his loyalties lie always added that extra tension to the show and that's missing now. Looks like he's gonna be back next week though. Hopefully the season will pick up the pace then and become more gripping.

I loved Quinn in this week's ep, going to visit Carrie and sympathising with her, standing up to Saul and telling him that he didn't agree with Saul's treatment of Carrie. I think Quinn was expressing all of our thoughts in this regard. He is also clearly struggling with having killed that kid in the season 3 premiere.

So what do you think of season 3 so far? Are you enjoying the slower pace after the thrill ride of the first two seasons?

Thanks

I agree with you on everything. I find the first two episodes extremely boring. And hate what they are doing to Carrie.
    Maybe they're doing this to show how brilliant an actress Claire Danes is, but I really hate it.

Totally agree with you on Saul

And also on Dana. I find her boring at best, mostly. But that scene with Jess was indeed powerful. And I actually like the kid that is her boyfriend (and who played in Dexter).

I suppose Brody isn't in the first two episodes because of the film Damien Lewis is filming? The show is boring without him..

Not sure how long it can keep my interest.

Thanks

I was almost bored by the second episode.. this isn't the show I know and love?

I hate what they are doing to Carrie but I find her really hard to watch, she's not helping herself in any way.

I am unsure about Dana's storyline, I liked the scene at the end where she really opened to her mum about being ok now. I just worry that Jess isn't right at all and if he kills himself it will send her over the edge. Their scene together was really special, really nicely done and wow the girl can act!

Saul is harsh, not only with what's he's doing to Carrie but with the new analyst, that was pretty mean. I know he's under a lot of pressure and he's not that guy, he can't make the quick decisions, but still..

I really hope Brody coming back next week will help the show pick up pace again.

Thanks

I LOVED it!

I thought the way Carrie/CD could show just what a tight line she was wavering between sanity and not was incredible.

I adored Quinn, and I am super curious about Saul. Where do his loyalties lie? I loved the new girl who found the bank stuff.

Dana's outburst and general behavior hurt my heart. She's one of the only teenagers on air, maybe the only I can think of, possibly Claire on Six Feet Under (obviously not on air now) who portrays the horribleness of being a teenager in a believable way, where there are no monsters as metaphors. I found her really hard to watch.

Don't miss Brody at all, but I'll be glad when he's back!

Thanks

Episode 3.03: Geez WTF was that? This must have been the most depressing episode in the history of the show! I was really hoping that episode 3 and Brody's return would be the turnaround of this season but alas no joy. As the reviewer on tv.com put it "After two rocky episodes to start off Season 3, Homeland needed an episode to right the ship but instead ran it into an iceberg." I completey agree! I still have no idea where season 3 is headed or what the overall plot/arc of the season is supposed to be. It is just one sucky situation after another sucky situation with no forward momentum whatsoever. What has become of this once brilliant show?

I did like the beginning of the episode even if Brody's storyline did not exactly blow me away. But it was nice seeing him bond with the young woman in the Tower of David and how she helped him escape. Unfortunately, this all ended in lots of dead Muslims so that was very sad. However, I have to admit that I liked that the imam of the mosque told Brody that he was no Muslim but a terrorist. It's good that the show made that necessary differentiation. But after that the episode really derailed IMO. Brody shooting up heroin in the last scene? WTF? Brody held out for a long time being tortured in Iraq before being broken by Abu Nasir and now after such a short period he just gives up and shoots up heroin? I get that the writers wanted to show to us that both Carrie and Brody have hit rock bottom and the symmetry of them being both doped up (Carrie on Lithium, Brody on heroin). But Brody has survived much tougher shit than this and now he just gives up? It doesn't make any sense from a character point of view IMO. I really hope that this is rock bottom for both Carrie and Brody and things will only go up from here because I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

I was also very disappointed that Carrie's mystery visitor turned out to be a lawyer. Unlike Carrie, I didn't expect it to be Saul, but I was hoping it would be Quinn, which would have made me squee so much. Unfortunately, the show decided to have nothing positive in this episode. Do you guys think that Carrie's right re the lawyer? Does he really represent countries that are anti-American and want her to rat on the CIA? Or does the lawyer represent someone completely different?

So on the whole this was a completely depressing episode which does not make me very hopeful with respect to where season 3 is headed. I really hoped that Brody's return would do the trick but this did not turn out to be the case.

Thanks

Sorry but this episode was boring and led nowhere.

Im starting to dread the rest of the season. And I think they should wrap things soon because otherwise, this could drag on to bad seasons.

Thanks

Episoe 3.04: Whoa that was quite the game changer! Of course I don't like that the writers were completely screwing with us and put us through all that misery for almost 4 episodes. But at least things finally seem to have some momentum now and hopefully the rest of the season will be much more gripping. I reckon the potential is there, what with Carrie being all double agent now. How they are gonna tie Brody into all this remains anyone's guess though. Of course it's no coincidence that he is in Caracas where apparently the terrorists' money is being laundered. I hope Brody's connection (if there is going to be one) will be believable and convincingly written.

I gotta say that I was relieved to find out that Saul is not the bad guy we thought he was. Apparently though it was not part of the plan to leave Carrie in that mental hospital that long. I don't get why he didn't try to get her out sooner. Because the terrorists hadn't reached out to Carrie yet? Nice to see Martin Donovan on the show, he plays shady characters really well.

Oh Dana, you poor girl! Your father is wanted for blowing up a government building and now your boyfriend might turn out to be a murderer. I was glad to see Mike back on the show and to learn that he had stuck with Jessica, that they are still together and he supports her. The scene where Jess told Mike that she could kill Brody was powerful, I'm really enjoying Morena Baccarin's performance this season.

Thanks

Episode 3.06: Unfortunately, this season is still very uneven in quality and this week's episode proved it again. On the one hand, I really enjoyed all the CIA going ons even if it was a bit sudden for Carrie's double agent role to end so quickly. At least the show is actually back at the spy stuff and I like that. In addition, I continue to enjoy the cameraderie between Quinn and Carrie and Quinn being worried about her and looking out for her. I really loved Saul punching the evil terrorist in the face, that was well deserved! Looking forward to seeing that storyline being developed further.

On the other hand, however, this show has just sunk into deepest soap territory with Carrie being pregnant with Brody's (probably) lovechild! WTF was that, writers? And keeping all those peed on pregancy tests in a drawer was pretty gross! In addition, the Dana storyline continues to suck and I'm still puzzled what it is doing on this show. I did like and understood why Dana changed her name but the whole moving out thing? And Jessica just let it happen without even asking the last name of Dana's friend or you know, more importantly, her address??? What kind of self-respecting mother does that? Dana is still underage so Jessica would have been perfectly entitled to stop her daughter from moving out. Why didn't she? Was she afraid that Dana would try to kill herself again if she refused her? However, if this whole moving out debacle means that we don't have to deal with Dana anymore, then I'm all for it. The show suffers from the continued focus on Dana (and now Carrie's soapy pregnancy storyline) when it should be focusing on chasing terrorists. I really don't get what the writers are thinking. The show has been a bit better in episodes 3.05 and 3.06 but there is still plenty of stuff that makes me roll my eyes so hard. Get it together, writers!

Thanks

Some interesting spoilers for the rest of season 3:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/27/ho...n/#more-152711

I'm glad that Alex Gansa admitted that there was maybe too much Dana stuff in the first four episodes.

Thanks

Has anyone seen these latest episodes? "Good Night" was more interesting than the previous but now Im already on that "I dont care" phase. As soon as the season ends, Im done with the show!
    Gansa tells people that the end is worth the wait but its not, its not worth the bad episodes we had to endure, and Dana.