Thread: Dexter General Discussion Thread

Thanks

Default Dexter General Discussion Thread

Here you can discuss the entire series of Dexter, since it's finished.

I"ll use this thread to share my opinion on the last episode of Dexter.

Do not open the spoiler if you don't want to be spoiled for the last episode of Dexter!

Spoiler:
    WTF!!!!!!! I MEAN REALLY WTF. This episode was so disappointing, I can't express how bad it made me feel. It feels like the worst episode in entire episodes of Dexter. And F***K you writers for killing Deb of. Really after such amazing show this is the end we get. Just NO! They ruined everything!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,089 Posts

Dexter finale (and season 8 in general)

Spoiler:
    The finale was indeed pretty bad, but given the direction the whole season took I wasn't expecting any better. If anything, I was expecting even worse!!

Independenly from what happened in the finale, the episode fell completely flat. It was underwhelming, boring and draggy, and that's not what you want from the series finale of a once praised, high-quality and on-the-edge-of-your-seat show.

The biggest problem with this season was the reintroduction of Hannah. Bad character, bad romace. The final season should have focused on Dexter and Deb (and the Dark Passenger). The season was good enough until around episode 5, when it focused on the consequences of Deb's murder of LaGuerta, and the relationship between Deb and Dexter. Even Dr Vogel was ok, as a way of further exploring Dexter's psyche. But all went down the toilet when the focus shifted to Dexter/Hannah and their stupid, forced romance and Deb was sidelined.

Dexter went from not being able to live without his sister, to being ready to flee the country with his serial killer girlfriend who had attempted to murder said sister, without a second thought. Ok.

Also, the writing was so bad this season... the carelessness, the plot holes... the stupid way the characters were made to behave. Take Hannah, for example... how stupid can she be?? She is a wanted fugitive, and she goes around everywhere without disguising herself?? What about a dark wig? Sunglasses?

And in the finale Dexter kills Deb and is able to stroll out of the hospital carrying her corpse without anyone battling an eyelid. Pathetic.

And there were so many useless side plots this season... what was the point of Masuka's daughter?? Jamie and Quinn?? Zack?? All a waste of time.

Anyway, I'm trying to digest the final, but I think I hated it. I hate that they killed Deb, and Hannah the poisoner gets to live free in Argentina with Harrison (poor child).

Dexter as a logger was just stupid. At least he didn't get a happy ending with Hannah, playing happy family in Argentina and dancing on Deb's memory. That would have been my worst case scenario.

The original showrunner revealed how HE would have ended the show, and it would have been so much better than this travesty.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

buffyholic (26-09-13),Local Maximum (23-09-13),Sky (23-09-13)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,254 Times in 910 Posts

I admit I didn't watch any of this season (I had given up after season six, but positive reviews of season seven convinced me to check that out), so I can't claim to know for sure. But everything I've heard about the plot and execution of this season makes me cringe. I checked out some scenes of the finale out of curiosity -- and, you know, out of context so maybe I'm missing something but

Spoiler:
    Debra telling Dexter not to feel guilty about anything, huh? I can't even.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Local Maximum View Post
    I admit I didn't watch any of this season (I had given up after season six, but positive reviews of season seven convinced me to check that out), so I can't claim to know for sure. But everything I've heard about the plot and execution of this season makes me cringe. I checked out some scenes of the finale out of curiosity -- and, you know, out of context so maybe I'm missing something but

Spoiler:
    Debra telling Dexter not to feel guilty about anything, huh? I can't even.
    Spoiler:
    I can't either. The Deb of season 8 was nothing like the real Deb we knew and loved. She was unrecognizable.

The writing for her character and Dexter (well, for every character, even little Harrison) was so bad in the second part of the season...

A show that would have benefitted of a shorter run. It should have ended with season 4, or 5 at the max. Too bad, a once great show goes out without dignity.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

Local Maximum (23-09-13)

Thanks

Okay... Just seen the finale and unfortunately I agree with you

Spoiler:

Even though I enjoyed most of the season, I do agree that it went downhill in the second half. I liked Hannah well enough, but I agree that the focus should've been on Dexter and Deb, and not Hannah...

Killing off Deb was stupid beyond words!!! They should've killed of Dexter or no one!

And the ending with Dexter being a logger was insane, completely stupid.
    This was a terrible series finale

Thanks

Francy, I agree with you. The finale was bad and I hated how Deb went down this way.
    The first four episodes of the season were really great but as soon as they took care of that (I would have loved a whole season of Dex vs Deb), the season just went downhill.
    The romance aspect between Dex and Hannah made me wanna puke most of the time. (Sorry, just being honest).
    And Iīm so glad you mentioned Hannah not wearing a disguise. That scene with her and Harrison in the hospital is completely stupid as well is Dexter getting Debīs body out of the hospital during a storm no less.

Iīve read an interview with the producers and the stuff they say there is unbelievable in a bad way.

The interviewer asked why Hannah didnīt wear any disguise.
    Their answer: We see a lot of fugitives roaming the country freely and staying completely unrecognizable.
    My answer: What??

And Iīm so glad Iīm not the only one who saw the story of Masukaīs daughter completely unnecessary. But even that, the producers have an excuse: We needed to get to know the characters better.

Seriously, are the producers high? Do they not see how they screwed up this season?

Thanks

I agree, after for 4. season, it just went bad. They were milking the money as much as possible, and recycling ideas, instead of just end it on a good note, and the ending was just bad. I can't believe writers came up with such an ending, after they managed to make this tvshow so great.