Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things we want to ask Scott Allie about issue #25

Konoha Green Beast!
    Thanks

Default Things we want to ask Scott Allie about issue #25

Guys we're all going to want to post questions so let's compile all our questions.

My question is, what was the point of this season other than to fix the mistakes of last season?

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...865#post114865
    Last edited by ChaddyMan1; 11-09-13 at 09:05 PM.

Evil Twin
    Thanks

Where did it all start going wrong and why didn't you do anything to fix it? That's what I want to ask about the entire season, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be received very well so...
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PointMan For This Useful Post:

MikeB (16-11-13)

Konoha Green Beast!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    Where did it all start going wrong and why didn't you do anything to fix it? That's what I want to ask about the entire season, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be received very well so...
    Considering how upset everyone is I think we're going to be seeing the question a lot and in many forms By the way broham can you ask my question? I can't log into Slayalive for some reason.
    Last edited by ChaddyMan1; 11-09-13 at 10:37 PM.

Evil Twin
    Thanks

It's posted. I don't think I'll be posting any questions myself, since I'd feel like someone asking the conductor why they didn't bother switching tracks when they first saw the track they were on went over a cliff. Part of me wants to ask what the point of Xander's arc was, but it's pretty clear they don't get it, so why bother?
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Konoha Green Beast!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    It's posted. I don't think I'll be posting any questions myself, since I'd feel like someone asking the conductor why they didn't bother switching tracks when they first saw the track they were on went over a cliff. Part of me wants to ask what the point of Xander's arc was, but it's pretty clear they don't get it, so why bother?
    I think it's going to be up to us fans to get the train back on the tracks. I don't know how we're gonna do it but I know it's gonna be up to us. Perhaps a boycott is in order? Maybe the only way we can talk to them is with our wallets? Also thank you for posting the question, it is most appreciated bro
    Last edited by ChaddyMan1; 11-09-13 at 10:45 PM.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,081 Posts

The first batch of questions have been answered.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...fy-Season-9-25

Konoha Green Beast!
    Thanks

Awww man they're not going to accept my question

Konoha Green Beast!
    Thanks

The second batch of answers is up.

Konoha Green Beast!
    Thanks

The final batch of answers are up

Thanks
    Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,844 Posts

He has a singular ability at non-answers. Or maybe we just need better questions -- I was hoping to trap him into explaining why "stuff doesn't happen", i.e. major permanent stuff, in "Buffy" when you compare it to the leading serialized fiction of the day ("Walking Dead", "Game of Thrones", "Breaking Bad", etc) or even the more second tier shows but that clearly are of an idiom with "Buffy" (TVD, Teen Wolf). We ran hard to stand still this season in a LOT of ways. But there was no way to ask that question very bluntly without it seeming like a straight up flame or troll.

Banner by LRae12

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

MikeB (16-11-13),shipperx (13-09-13),Stoney (12-09-13)

Konoha Green Beast!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    He has a singular ability at non-answers. Or maybe we just need better questions -- I was hoping to trap him into explaining why "stuff doesn't happen", i.e. major permanent stuff, in "Buffy" when you compare it to the leading serialized fiction of the day ("Walking Dead", "Game of Thrones", "Breaking Bad", etc) or even the more second tier shows but that clearly are of an idiom with "Buffy" (TVD, Teen Wolf). We ran hard to stand still this season in a LOT of ways. But there was no way to ask that question very bluntly without it seeming like a straight up flame or troll.
    Yeah I know what you mean, that's why I wanted to ask my question cause it was straight to the point but I can see where it would have been rude.

Was it just me or did he seem a little down in the dumps?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,003 Times in 5,407 Posts

It is an odd point to do a Q&A really I think. Mostly people will question parts of the season that just finished which didn't work for them or didn't make sense or they will want to know aspects of what is coming up which he won't answer. So I wouldn't have thought it is a very enjoyable one to do from his pov and hard to find things that will pass for rudeness or spoiling from our pov.

I'm not convinced they will particularly structure next season massively different. Perhaps I am misjudging buying behaviour but I just think three main titles seems unlikely. I don't think the plan of two and 2/3 minis was a bad one but I do think this is where the 'roll with it' lack of planning doesn't work because the Spike/Willow minis gutted Buffy's title too much and it was clear it wasn't what had been intended. Great to be flexible if you don't let the quality down and they just did this season. I'm not sure they get that the lack of interaction made the main title suffer. If they did three main titles is not the way forward imo.

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Are they still taking questions?
    If so, Is Illyria really dead?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by illyriafan View Post
    Are they still taking questions?
    If so, Is Illyria really dead?
    They aren't, but he wouldn't have given a definitive answer to that anyway. He'd have said "it certainly appears that she is, this was a great moment for her to really bring her character to a strong place, etc", but then he would have immediately qualified it with the Buffyverse being a place of many possibilities, they never know what Joss might come up with, etc, and you'd be right back here unsatisfied.

Banner by LRae12

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    They aren't, but he wouldn't have given a definitive answer to that anyway. He'd have said "it certainly appears that she is, this was a great moment for her to really bring her character to a strong place, etc", but then he would have immediately qualified it with the Buffyverse being a place of many possibilities, they never know what Joss might come up with, etc, and you'd be right back here unsatisfied.

Thanks for letting me know.

Slayer
    Thanks

I noticed he said Season 9 closes the door on Season 8. Does this suggest we're finally going to get better writing? I'm skeptical.

Thanks

DH pretty much closed the door on 8 at the beginning of 9 when they chose to focus on the destruction of the seed and resurrecting Giles instead of dealing with what lead to those events.

The final TPB of A&F should include all of Christos' interviews and Q&As because that is the only way you could have any idea of what really happened in 8.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reddygirl For This Useful Post:

bluememe (13-09-13),emanuele (13-09-13),Emmie (13-09-13),Maggie (13-09-13),Morphia (13-09-13),shipperx (13-09-13),Stoney (13-09-13),ubi4soft (13-09-13),Veiriti (13-09-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reddygirl View Post
    The final TPB of A&F should include all of Christos' interviews and Q&As because that is the only way you could have any idea of what really happened in 8.
    No, those would only give one an idea of Christos Gage's opinions and thoughts on what happened in BtVS S8.

The actual information comes from Joss. He has Spike in 8.40 saying Buffy was "attacked -- controlled -- by forces no one comprehends". Meaning she's not responsible for having sex with AngelTwilight.

Joss calls the Buffy/Angel sex stuff in BtVS S8 "fan fiction". Joss says Angel's responsible for everything he did in BtVS S8 -- and it's possible he includes when Angel was possessed in 8.38 and 8.39.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,003 Times in 5,407 Posts

Even accepting Angel acted out of good intentions in S8, believing it was for the greater good, he was still caught up in his hubris and love of being the special champion needed to save the world (even to the extent of pulling down the Chosen One). Angel was sometimes influenced too but he unquestionably got himself in that situation and agreed to something that he never should have done because someone knew the right buttons to press.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    The actual information comes from Joss. He has Spike in 8.40 saying Buffy was "attacked -- controlled -- by forces no one comprehends". Meaning she's not responsible for having sex with AngelTwilight.
    That is Spike's opinion as written by Joss, not Joss talking to readers. Buffy was influenced into agreeing to the space sex but she did agree. The destruction of her moral certainty and persistent attacks played a part in that like the glow did, it wasn't the same as it was for Angel, but she still had some responsibility for making the choice and thus betraying herself. Spike is trying to be supportive and, for himself, would no doubt like to focus on the aspect of being controlled rather than acknowledge the part of Buffy that wanted to grab the moment with Angel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    That is Spike's opinion as written by Joss, not Joss talking to readers.
    Spike's the one who knew the most about the Twilight thing and so his assertion is most likely the correct one.

Buffy was under something akin to a powerful love spell when she had sex with AngelTwilight.

Spike is trying to be supportive and, for himself, would no doubt like to focus on the aspect of being controlled rather than acknowledge the part of Buffy that wanted to grab the moment with Angel.
    Such statements aren't based on canon. Spike's a guy who died in "Chosen" (B 7.22) instead of being with Buffy merely because he saw Buffy kissing Angel and probably heard her cookie dough speech. He's a guy who stayed in Los Angeles because if Angel became human, Buffy might want to be with a human Angel instead of a vampire Spike. Spike's a guy who got really upset over the "Angel Island" thing. Spike wouldn't try to 'downplay' anything about her having sex with AngelTwilight.