Thread: Bates Motel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

Default Bates Motel

Did anyone else watch "Bates Motel"?? The show just finished for the season, and I'm so sad! I got into watching it a few weeks back, after my son was born, and I am LOVING it... Can't wait til it comes back for a new season!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HisMRS For This Useful Post:

Ahm Shere (22-05-13)

Thanks

Yes! I'm not fully caught up, I haven't watched it in two weeks but I mean to catch up at the weekend. I'm glad it hasn't been cancelled and they're doing another season. At first I wasn't a fan, I didn't think it would work being set in the present day...but I have come to love it. Also Freddie Highmore is a pretty good Norman. I had my doubts about him but he pulls off the character well.

♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HisMRS View Post
    Did anyone else watch "Bates Motel"?? The show just finished for the season, and I'm so sad! I got into watching it a few weeks back, after my son was born, and I am LOVING it... Can't wait til it comes back for a new season!
    Ahhh noooooo! I didnt realize Monday was the finale!

Although, I guess it makes sense considering how things were wrapped up with Abernathy and the human trafficking rather than a new twist coming.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too! It had an interesting sense of humor. Particularily, Norma and her emotional fits and then Norman and his mannerisms and interpretation of things. Dysfunctional but still sympathetic characters. It is strange watching a show knowing the two main characters are doomed.

And I really like how Dylan ended up being the most grounded and practical person in the family!

Last couple episodes, spoilered for Hannah!
    Spoiler:

I liked in the finale that he was bold enough to tell his mom that her getting a gun was a big mistake. But against his better judgment he worried about her enough to get it and teach her how to shoot. Jeez, she was scary with her nonchalance around a gun!

I also really like Emma! I cant believe how bad Norman treats her crush on him. I loved in the previous episode when the boy at the hotel respects her enough to stop smoking the pot and then leaves her the cupcake. I thought maybe he liked her and would have enjoyed her getting attention from a boy who might be better for her.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    Ahhh noooooo! I didnt realize Monday was the finale!

Although, I guess it makes sense considering how things were wrapped up with Abernathy and the human trafficking rather than a new twist coming.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too! It had an interesting sense of humor. Particularily, Norma and her emotional fits and then Norman and his mannerisms and interpretation of things. Dysfunctional but still sympathetic characters. It is strange watching a show knowing the two main characters are doomed.

Last couple episodes, spoilered for Hannah!
    Spoiler:

I liked in the finale that he was bold enough to tell his mom that her getting a gun was a big mistake. But against his better judgment he worried about her enough to get it and teach her how to shoot. Jeez, she was scary with her nonchalance around a gun!

I also really like Emma! I cant believe how bad Norman treats her crush on him. I loved in the previous episode when the boy at the hotel respects her enough to stop smoking the pot and then leaves her the cupcake. I thought maybe he liked her and would have enjoyed her getting attention from a boy who might be better for her.
    I finally got up to date today. I still can't believe the finale!

Spoiler:
    I didn't expect Miss Watson to end up dead. (Although I was texting my friend who has yet to see it, but watches Once Upon A Time; I kept referring to her as The Blue Fairy. ) I really liked her character. I'm going to miss her in Season 2.

And I really like how Dylan ended up being the most grounded and practical person in the family!
    I'm actually in love with Dylan. I wasn't too sure when they introduced a brother, but I think it works well. I wonder what will happen to him?

I agree about
    Spoiler:
    Emma. I mean, I know Norman was really into Bradley...I was sure she'd be the first person Norman would kill. I've grown to really dislike her.

I feel really sorry for Emma, I thought maybe something would have come out of the pot-smoker. She seemed to genuinely like him. Oh well, maybe next season.
    Last edited by Ahm Shere; 24-05-13 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks

I need to catch a marathon and watch it all over again, from the beginning. I missed the first 3 episodes, I think, so some things were confusing for me. Like, I never knew exactly what Abernathy was doing for the whole time I was watching. LOL
    I love Freddie Highmore as Norman. He plays the balance between normal, sad kid and psycho (no pun intended). I wasn't expecting him to be such a good actor... The way his eyes look so dark in his moments of rage is chilling, really...
    Vera Farmiga plays Norma as a mother with a control complex and not as an outright crazy person, which I really love. It makes you have sympathy for her instead of going "Oh she's just nuts!"
    I really like Dylan, too. He's a nice dash of normal in this family of instability... Although I can see the trouble headed his way if he hooks up with Bradley. Norman definitely won't be happy.
    And can I just say that I freaking HATE Bradley. She has annoyed the hell out of me from the moment I started watching. And I absolutely love Emma... Which is the point, I think.

Thanks

I need to catch a marathon and watch it all over again, from the beginning. I missed the first 3 episodes, I think, so some things were confusing for me. Like, I never knew exactly what Abernathy was doing for the whole time I was watching. LOL
    I love Freddie Highmore as Norman. He plays the balance between normal, sad kid and psycho (no pun intended). I wasn't expecting him to be such a good actor... The way his eyes look so dark in his moments of rage is chilling, really...
    Vera Farmiga plays Norma as a mother with a control complex and not as an outright crazy person, which I really love. It makes you have sympathy for her instead of going "Oh she's just nuts!"
    I really like Dylan, too. He's a nice dash of normal in this family of instability... Although I can see the trouble headed his way if he hooks up with Bradley. Norman definitely won't be happy.
    And can I just say that I freaking HATE Bradley. She has annoyed the hell out of me from the moment I started watching. And I absolutely love Emma... Which is the point, I think.
    LOL! You missed the first three episodes?! I actually dont mind Bradley, but I liked her introduction. I thought she seemed to be a genuinely nice person and can understand why Norman thought she was actually into him. A parents death can really mess a person up especially how freaking weird her father's was. So I can understand how she is not wanting change in her life and is grasping at her old life to try and maintain something of her happy life with when her father alive. And it is hard to blame her too much for not being into Norman who is in actuality a murderer of his father (stepfather?) and now the teacher.

I would HATE for Bradley and Dylan to get together. First, he is over 21 and she is under 18, right?! Second he knows how much Norman likes her...AND more importantly that Norman slept with her. So wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahm Shere View Post
    I finally got up to date today. I still can't believe the finale!

Spoiler:
    I didn't expect Miss Watson to end up dead. (Although I was texting my friend who has yet to see it, but watches Once Upon A Time; I kept referring to her as The Blue Fairy. ) I really liked her character. I'm going to miss her in Season 2.
    I thought she was wildly inappropriate with Norman long before she took him home. Her interest in his writing was borderline fanatic. and when she said they shared a secret because he heard upset over the phone? whooooo whhhheeeee, that is just felt like wrong language between a teacher and student.

That being said, I like the actress and it sure was an interesting character. One of the nicer people in town.

I'm actually in love with Dylan. I wasn't too sure when they introduced a brother, but I think it works well. I wonder what will happen to him?

I agree about
    Spoiler:
    Emma. I mean, I know Norman was really into Bradley...I was sure she'd be the first person Norman would kill. I've grown to really dislike her.

I feel really sorry for Emma, I thought maybe something would have come out of the pot-smoker. She seemed to genuinely like him. Oh well, maybe next season.
    They were definitely hinting at Norman wanting too! It was very freaky with the drowning dream. Although it was oddly funny when Dylan saw through Norman's lie that the dream was about drowning rather than him drowning someone.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

So I just caught up with this show got to say I never really planned to watch but I got sucked in nevertheless. I think the best thing so far is that the show actually made me watch psycho I had that movie on my to watch list for ages. Going to put everything under the spoiler tag because of the finale talk

Spoiler:
    I am glad the show has gotten a second season. I also think it is a good idea that they kept the format in ten episodes it works really well for me. Freddie Highmore is probably the biggest surprise in this series for me I was not sure he would be able to play the part but he is really good especially when Noramanís insanity comes out. The best part of the show for me though has to be Norma, both as a character and Vera Farmiga is absolutely fantastic. I agree with HisMRS I love the fact that they made Norma be this control freak with emotional issues instead of outright crazy it is deeply disturbing finding yourself actually caring for her character like I have found myself doing and it leaves room for interpretation as to what exactly made Norman insane her, or an illness or both (I would go with both but I like that the show shows Norman as being prone to mental illness instead of just showing how Norma made him go crazy)

I love Dylan! He is a breath of fresh air in the otherwise crazy family dynamics. I love that he is very self-sufficient and actually acts like an adult and that he sees that his mom doesnít act like one. Love his concern for Norman. I have to disagree with the rest of you guys I kind of like Bradly. I agree it would be a bad idea for her and Dylan to get together but thatís more out of my concern for her safety because of Norman. I think it was obvious that there was a mutual attraction there since the moment the two of them met and I donít think it would be out of character for Dylan to pursue her. He cares about his brother but he puts his own wants and needs first so as much as I wonít like to see it happen I think it would be logical if it does happen.

Emma, now I started out not liking her and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we were obviously supposed to like her it is just too perfect for me, the popular girl is not so nice and the unpopular ill girl is nice. I just rebelled lol, and decided to not like Emma. But she grew on me and now I kind of do like her. I hope she will get over her crush on Norman and find someone who would treat her better.

I was sad to see miss Watson go (the blue fairy is gone nooo) I thought she was an interesting character and frankly I would have gladly given up some of the time that was spent on the human trafficking story line, which really didn't get me anyway, to see some more character development for her and to see some more Norma/Norman time. Because to me that relationship truly is the heart of the show. It makes the show both deeply disturbing and really enjoyable at the same time. I hope they keep the focus on developing that relationship more in the second season.
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks

I was pretty shocked that Norman killed his teacher... I actually pegged her as a seductress who was gonna sleep with him. I agree, Lyn; I thought she was pretty inappropriate with him way before inviting him to her house. But still; that final scene of her laying there with her throat cut was crazy!

Thanks

Yes that was pretty shocking I was surprised that he started hallucinating mommy dearest this early on I almost feel sorry for him especially because Freddy Highmore plays him with such vulnerability
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks

I was pretty shocked that Norman killed his teacher... I actually pegged her as a seductress who was gonna sleep with him. I agree, Lyn; I thought she was pretty inappropriate with him way before inviting him to her house. But still; that final scene of her laying there with her throat cut was crazy!
    Yes! I love how each episode ends with a normal ending and then immediately followed by a crazy wacked out teaser scene. I was less surprised to see her dead than to see she had a necklace with the initial B! Does this mean she was the lover of Bradley's father? That love note Bradley found at his office was signed, "B". If so, it is odd they are both dead now! Could Norman have something to do with Bradley's father's death too?

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Yeah, I did think the teacher was wildly inappropriate...and I'm gonna spoiler the rest...
    Spoiler:
    but I'm not so sure that Norman did kill her. I mean, she had a pretty heated argument with that guy Eric over the phone? I caught the "B" too so maybe this guy Eric found out that Miss Watson had an affair and killed her in a jealous rage after Norman left? I don't know why, but now that I watched it again and thought about it, I genuinely don't believe Norman killed Miss Watson.

But now we're going to have to wait until season 2 and I simply can't wait that long!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (28-05-13)

Thanks

Oooh I totally missed the B necklace!! DAMN this show is awesome! I am loving all the twists and turns in the plot!

Thanks

Spoiler:
    I cough the 'B' necklace as well but the way it was filmed to me very much indicated that Norman did kill her, maybe it is a twist and we are meant to believe he killed her when in reality he didn't? and then he believes he killed her? I mean he was clearly upset at the end of the episode. perhaps he had a 'black out'?

Thanks

I hope the DVD collection comes out ASAP! I need to watch the few eps I never saw. LOL

Thanks

The complete show ended with Season 5 sadly. I wanted to watch more. Vera Farmiga was such a great pick for the role of Norma Bates. But I believe it's better to end the show on a good note, rather than draggit out and make it boring. That would just leave a bad reputation on it. I do recommend it for people to watch it.