Thread: 8X21 The Great Escapist

Thanks

Default 8X21 The Great Escapist

Interesting episode! Loads happened, I'm even watching it a second time immediately.
    Loved Crowley in this episode (I should've been a director) and love how Kevin smarted him out
    (No way in hell Sam and Dean would get me ribs when there's burrito's in the fridge )

Naomi as annoying as always... But Cas standing up to it the way he did was good. I must say that I don't understand who she is. She's not an arc angel is she?

But I liked Metatron and his story. Wondering where they will take this next. It seems that he's at the Winchesters side, being the one who has written the word of God...
    It also explains why the angels have been such dicks.

Anyway, I quite liked the episode and am curious to the finale arc.

What do you think the trials will do to Sam? Will it purify him? Will he be okay after this?
    I mean, they can't really send him to hell or something again, now can they?

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

I was hoping that Kevin was fooling them the entire time. He played Crowley well and since Crowley already killed Kevin's mother he doesn't have any leverage anymore.

I guess Crowley still has the Angel tablet, although I assume he won't be able to read it without a prophet. I'm not really sure yet how Metatron is going to fit in.

I am curious to see how everything plays out now though. I assume they can't just solve everything by closing the gates of hell or else the show wouldn't have been renewed for another season.

Thanks

All the angel stuff was so yawn-worthy! Apart from Metatron, I kinda liked him. Some interesting philosophical questions he posed to Dean there at the end. But otherwise I'm so over all the angels, Crowley, Kevin Tran, etc. etc. I'm interested in the third trial though and I think curing a demon sounds intriguing. Too bad Meg is not alive anymore or Sam could have cured her.

Sam's story about Dean reading him a story about The Knights of the Round Table and him knowing at that young age that he wasn't pure due to the demon blood broke my heart. I wonder what it means that Sam is being purified due to the trials. Does that mean that the demon blood is washed out of him or something?

I really hope that Dean will have more to do with respect to the mytharc than he did in this episode, I don't like seeing him getting shortchanged. Yes taking care of Sammy is totally in character for Dean but I want him to have his own storyline.

Shame on you, Ben Edlund, for committing such a continuity error, the boys never went to the Grand Canyon! They even talked about that fact and made a big deal about it back in season 2. At the end of the episode "Croatoan" Dean said:

"Yeah, you know, all this driving back and forth across country, you know I've never been to the Grand Canyon? Or we could go to T.J. Or Hollywood, see if we can bang Lindsey Lohan."

I hate it when the writers mess up like that!

So this episode was definitely not my cup of tea. Way too angel-centric for my taste! Hopefully the last two episodes will focus on the brothers more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,104 Posts

I'm still trying to understand how I feel about this episode.

On one hand I'm always interested in episodes that advance the mytharc ( and I wish the show did a better job in spreading out the mytharc episodes during the course of the season), so I was looking forward to this episode, especially given that the writer is Edlund.

On the other hand, the episode felt lacking to me. I'm not sure lacking what, but I was underwhelmed. The show doesn't seem to be able to excite me and surprise me anymore, my main feeling about it is always "meh" as of late. I miss the epicness of season 4 and 5. The problem is that in season 8 I donít really care about almost anything (except for Cas, whoís around too little to really have an impact on my overall enjoyment). I donít care about Samís trials and his related pain (season after season of ďsomethingís wrong with Sam, Dean worries about himĒ have taken their toll on me. I just donít care, but then Iím not a brother-centric fan so that contributes), I donít care for Dean being reduced to a supporting character with even less of a storyline of his own than the previous seasons (has anyone read Carverís interviews?? The lack of interest/respect for Deanís character are as clear as day. I find this deplorable).

Anyway, this episode was better than most of the episodes this season. The best thing about this episode is that Cas was in it (dammit, I feel like I spend my whole time waiting for him to reapper, itís exhausting). I enjoyed the Naomi/Cas/Ion/Crowley confrontations, I enjoyed Kevinís part, and thatís about it.

I loved Kevin in this episode. He kicked ass! Can we keep him? I'm so afraid that they are going to kill him off... now that they have Metatron on the team, Kevin is kinda.. superfluos. Also... the last time we saw Kevin he was on his way to losing his mind, paranoid and all over the place... and in The Great Escapist he was cool, collected, able to outsmart Crowley.... how did Kevin magically recover and become all badass?? It doesn't add up at all. Oh well.

I don't know what to think about Metatron. I'm glad that he doesn't seem to belong to the "dickish angels club", but I can't say if I like him/find him interesting yet.

Crowley made me chuckle a couple of times. "I was born to direct" LMAO. And he wanted to impersonate Dean... hahaha That said, I think I'm kind of tired of Crowley (even though I LOVE Mark Sheppard in the role). I loved him as an adversary/kind of villain/sometimes ally in the past seasons, but he's not working for me as Big Bad.

Naomi is a better big bad for me. She's really awful, but I'm interested in finding out her motivations.

I am an angel-loving fan, but I'm NOT a fan of what season 8 did to the angel mythology (the programming and mind-wiping crap), I really don't like this portrayal of angels as robots/computers to be programmed. We started with powerful and sort-of-righteous celestial warriors of God in season 4, and then we found out they were all evil ass*les, and now that they are lobotomized evil robotic ass*oles. Meh. Angels used to be so intimidating, badass, cool, otherwordly, mysterious... now they are pathetic.

Poor Cas, having been lobotomized time and time again and not even knowing it!! I wonder what kind of horrible things they made him do in the course of thousands of years (beyond killing innocent babies in Egypt, of course! ). I'm so sick of Cas being abused and tortured and being deprived of agency, I just want him to break free from all of this once and for all, and that's why I want him to fall and stop being an angel.... but from what I can tell from interviews and such, the show is probably not going in that direction.

I'm also trying to digest the fact that, according to Naomi, Cas has always been rebellious from the start ("cracks on his chassis"). I like what this means for Cas as an individual, but I don't like how they are retroactively messing with/retconning the Dean/Cas story. One thing I have always loved about them is that Cas, the faithful and devoted soldier, rebelled because Dean showed him the way. The devout soldier who after thousands, millions of years of faithful service turned his back on what he had always known because of this little, righteous human and for humanity... that was a powerful story. Now they are retconning him into a always problematic/special angel that rebelled over and over again, forcing Naomi to reprogramme him time and time again. This takes away the magnitude of Deanís influence on Cas (not completely, of courseÖ Dean remains the trigger that played on Casís predisposed nature) and undermines the Dean/Cas dynamics, and I resent that.

Iíve seen speculation online that the trials are turning Sam into an angelÖ I hope to God that doesnít happen, or I would quit the show. More probably itís just what theyíve hinted so far, i.e. that Sam is being purified of the demon blood, and will therefore be a fully normal human again.

About the third trial... curing a demon?? Of what? His evilness? Hepatitis? It sounds so stupid. I don't want to be this negative, but after Taxi Driver I'm expecting the worst from this show, and from this storyline. I don't trust these writers in the slightest. We will see.

Only two episodes to go.. Iím trying not to get too excited because that way only lies disappointment. I think Iím going to rewatch The Great Escapist, maybe Iíll like it more on second watch (most of the comments Iíve seen are really enthusiastic, so either Iím difficult to please, or Iíve missed something).

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

Bittersweettwit (02-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Francy View Post
    I donít care for Dean being reduced to a supporting character with even less of a storyline of his own than the previous seasons (has anyone read Carverís interviews?? The lack of interest/respect for Deanís character are as clear as day. I find this deplorable).
    Do you have any links to such interviews? I find this very worrying. And I agree, the fact that Dean seems to have no active role in the mytharc pisses me off as well.

Iíve seen speculation online that the trials are turning Sam into an angelÖ I hope to God that doesnít happen, or I would quit the show.
    OMG I hope that's not true, that would suck beyond words!

More probably itís just what theyíve hinted so far, i.e. that Sam is being purified of the demon blood, and will therefore be a fully normal human again.
    For Sam's sake, I hope that will happen. It was no coincidence that they brought up Sam's feelings of being impure because of the demon blood again. Although to be honest, at times I thought the writers had forgotten about that. Anyway, it would make me very happy for Sam if he finally didn't have to feel like a freak anymore.

About the third trial... curing a demon?? Of what? His evilness? Hepatitis? It sounds so stupid.
    I think it could mean turning a demon back into a human being. All demons were humans once upon a time after all who were turned into demons after being tortured in hell for a very long time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cori View Post
    Do you have any links to such interviews? I find this very worrying. And I agree, the fact that Dean seems to have no active role in the mytharc pisses me off as well.
    http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...questions.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...?utm_hp_ref=tw

He's just all "Sam, Sam, Sam", with a whiff of Castiel. In the first interview, to a question addressing fans' concerns about the lack of storylines for Dean he replied talking about Sam's storyline some more. he says that they never even considered giving Dean the trials etc...

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think it could mean turning a demon back into a human being. All demons were humans once upon a time after all who were turned into demons after being tortured in hell for a very long time.
    So that demon would turn back into a soul of an evil human?? There's a reason if someone ends up in hell (unless you ave made a deal with a crossroad demon, that is.)... okay, we will see. It will be as easy as pie, anyway, no trouble... if Sam managed to walk undisturbed through purgatory and hell and free Bobby's soul in 20 minutes, this will be easy game!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

Cori (02-05-13)

Thanks

Who do you think will be the cured demon? Will it be Crowley?

Or will Sam sacrificing himself?

And btw, I have no problem in watching this season while doing a rewatch, it doesnīt confuse me at all.