Thread: PLEASE READ: Section Guidelines

Thanks

Default PLEASE READ: Section Guidelines

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the re-designed BuffyForums Fanart section!

The section is laid out as follows:

The Art Threads
    We have created new threads for popular shows and several misc threads for art that doesn't fit in a specific thread.

All we ask is that a post in these threads either includes art or feedback for three different pieces. It is no longer required to post feedback at the same time as posting art. If you are posting art and want to include feedback for others that is always welcomed, but we want these threads to be full of art.

Art posted can now be all shapes and sizes, banners, icons, wallscrolls...if it’s pretty we want to see it!

For those wanting feedback and wanting to give feedback to help encourage and grow the community we have created a critique thread.
    Fanart Battles
    Got some time on your hands? Want to challenge yourself against another member's style? Find out more in Fanart Battles Thread.

This is an exhibition competition so SPECTATORS WANTED! Double posting isn't allowed but spectators can post any simple encouragements to the battlers. And specific wallpaper feedback is always welcome.
    Fanart Challenges
    All are welcome to post their own fanart in challenges! Any level of skill is encouraged to enter. Most challenges judge your idea as much as any technical ability. Plus, you cant get better if you don't try.

Other than posting entries, this section remain strict on what is allowed to be posted. No posts of feedback or encouragement is allowed to posted, spectators must use the Thanks button or Reputation button.

Find out about current challenges you can enter in the Challenges & Deadlines thread. Read the full rules and how to sign up to host a challenge in the Sign Up Sheet thread.
    Fanart Tutorials
    Here some of the talented members have posted tutorials to help others improve or learn techniques. Definitely worth checking out!
    Interest Threads

• Picture Resource & Request is where you will find a list of good resources for making fanart. If you don't see what you need, please post there asking if anyone has a good recommendation.
    • The Workshop: brushes, backgrounds etc is where you will find all the resources our members have made, something in here could help with your art!
    • Fanart FAQ: Technical Help is for if you want to know how to do anything, post your question and someone will explain for you.
    • Interact with the community by sharing your fandom passions in Hearts on Fire and technical fanart choices in Tick Tick Tock.

If you have any questions please ask here or PM one of the section moderators

Thanks

THE RULES

OTHER PEOPLE'S ART
    Don't post it. Art falls neatly under copyright laws and we don't want to have people mad at us for posting their stuff. If you are discovered to be posting art that you did not make yourself, you will receive a stern warning. In the same way plagiarism is also forbidden, plagiarism is presenting yourself as the sole origin of an idea when in fact it is based on another's art. This is either by directly claiming this or by conveniently not listing your source (more on this in the next post).

PICTURE SIZE LIMITS
    Keep pictures 500 pixels wide or less. Why? Here on the fanart board we get the privilege of posting pictures directly into the threads. It's nice to be able to see everyone's art, but they make the pages take longer to load. So be considerate. Size your art down and link to the larger image.

DON'T "QUOTE" ART
    Posting pictures uses bandwidth. The more the picture is posted, the more bandwidth it uses. Bandwidth is limited and costs money. Please be considerate of this and edit the actual picture out of your quotes. Text link to it instead.

NO DIRECT LINKING TO SITES THAT ARE NOT YOUR OWN
    Again, a bandwidth issue. People aren't friendly to people who steal their bandwidth.

"MY ART" THREADS
    Please don’t start threads just for your art. Put your art in the applicable existing thread.

SPAM
    Please follow the standard forum rules on spam, double posting or comments that are just 'that's great' will be considered spam in this section too.

Posting congratulations or short comments following the completion of a fanart challenge and the posting of awards is reserved for members that entered the challenge. All other comments are considered spam. In depth feedback of multiple entrants or of the awards is required by all non-entrants. Otherwise, comments belong to PM or feedback threads.

Battle threads however do not have this requirement and encouragement after each entrant posts is welcomed.

ICON ART POSTING
    In the interest of loading time, we ask that you post a preview of no more than 10 icons from your set and then post the rest inside spoiler tags. This makes the thread not only load faster, but also makes it cleaner and helps people browsing the thread to quickly images in the new posts. Please post a minimum of 10 icons in each post so we don’t have 1 or 2 icons per post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

PLAGIARISM & CREATIVE THEFT
    Plagiarism is defined: "To present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source."

What does this mean?

If you got your idea or element from someone else's piece, then:
    1. Don't do a wallpaper, or
    2. State clearly where it is you got your idea or element. This would include a note on the original artist, link to the original art, and hopefully, a discussion of what elements of the original you used and why you thought the element important and why your piece differs.

Fanart is not a well recognized medium. However, our community at Buffyforums is doing our best to make it more credible. How do we do that? First we recognize our source material. The more credible the artist, the more they provide links to where they got their resources -- stocks, caps, text, brushes, etc. The more credible artists in our community also recognize that if they had an idea that inspired them, they specifically state the artist and artwork that lead to their idea. Usually, a link to the source artwork and a notation explaining what elements were taken is provided.

More simply, plagiarism is presenting yourself as the sole origin of an idea when in fact it is based on another's art. This is either by directly claiming this or by conveniently not listing your source.

The moderators do not actively police the community for plagiarism. We rely upon the members to conduct themself properly. We also believe that most acts of plagiarism are unintentional and therefore able to be worked out between members calmly expressing their concerns with each other. However, if concerns remain unaddressed by one party on multiple occasions, then a moderator needs to be contacted. Upon review of the severity of the incident, a warning pm, an infraction, or, more rarely, a ban may be given.

This goes both ways.

Similar resources do not always mean plagiarism. We use common resources so sometimes artists discover the same item from the original source around the same time.

Art is about interpreting and building upon others ideas. There has to be an understanding that others viewing our art are to be allowed to react and have their own interpretation of our art. Art is not stagnant and is constantly evolving.

However, artwork is personal and emotional. And that's what makes us love art. It isn't part of a faceless consuming void. By recognizing the original artist, the personal and emotional interrelated nature of art is maintained. Please do not deny the creativity of the original artist by not noting that an element came from seeing their artwork.

Another issue I would like to clarify is the use of stocks. In manipulations, stocks and bases integrally form the idea of the piece. While the original artist is compelled to share their original resources, it does not mean that it is appropriate to search others wallpapers like a catalog to find an adequate base for your artwork. Manip and stock artists put in long hours searching for inspiration among thousands of websites and then thousands of pictures. It is responsible to recognize this effort they have put into find the perfect base to make the vision in their head come to life on the screen.

We are a great community and depend on each of our members to keep us great. In the end it comes down to having respect and politeness to our fellow artists.

Buffyforums policy on plagiarism is derived from the MLA (Modern Language Associations) citation policy. Further information is available at MLA.org and Purdue Owl.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Are there a certain amount of posts you need to have made on the forum or a certain amount of time you need to be a member before participating in challenges?
    Kristen @ Beauty Mark
    http://beautymark.primordialsouls.com
    '"If your spirit dances, your body will follow." Mia Michaels

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dancer4life View Post
    Are there a certain amount of posts you need to have made on the forum or a certain amount of time you need to be a member before participating in challenges?
    There's no requirement on that. Join in as soon as you like!

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

OK thanks! I made an entry for one of the challenges and when I posted in it, there was a message that mentioned that the post needed to be approved before it showed up?
    Kristen @ Beauty Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dancer4life View Post
    OK thanks! I made an entry for one of the challenges and when I posted in it, there was a message that mentioned that the post needed to be approved before it showed up?
    This happens on occasion. I found two of your posts that needed validation. I approved both so you should be able to see them now. Sorry about that. We don't get notified or anything when things need to be approved.

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

It seems to happen every time I post in the challenges...
    Kristen @ Beauty Mark

Thanks

It shouldn't happen now you have 5 posts. It's to do with stopping spammers, so anyone who posts a link without having a post count of 5 gets their post filtered. Now you've got 5 posts you'll be considered a normal poster. Sorry but we have this to protect ourselves from spammers who come and make 30 posts with links to their site!

Thanks

Understandable! Good to know it only does it up to 5
    Kristen @ Beauty Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,268 Posts

I noticed that most people post their art without giving credit to the creators of the caps/textures/gradients/etc. I'm cool with breaking some of the rules stated above (like conversations in art threads), but can we please be a decent community and give credit to the creators of our precious resources?

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

betta (23-08-18),buffylover (22-08-18),Josh (22-08-18),Priceless (22-08-18),Silver1 (22-08-18),Stoney (22-08-18),TriBel (22-08-18),Vague that up for me (23-11-18)

Thanks

Sure thing! I noticed I hadn't with a few of my posts so I mentioned my resources at the last one and will continue from now on
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

buffylover (22-08-18),Nina (22-08-18),Priceless (22-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,976 Times in 5,393 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I noticed that most people post their art without giving credit to the creators of the caps/textures/gradients/etc. I'm cool with breaking some of the rules stated above (like conversations in art threads), but can we please be a decent community and give credit to the creators of our precious resources?
    I've always made my own gradients and virtually always have used my own textures too. I've recently started taking my own screencaps as well, so I've not needed to give credits recently. Is it better to put a note that all resources were my own to make it clear it hasn't been ignored?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Nina (22-08-18),Vague that up for me (23-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I've always made my own gradients and virtually always have used my own textures too. I've recently started taking my own screencaps as well, so I've not needed to give credits recently. Is it better to put a note that all resources were my own to make it clear it hasn't been ignored?
    Whatever you prefer. I just want members to honor the rule that a fanartist should credit the people who make their resources.

Awesome that you make everything yourself btw.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (22-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

I usually do for bigger art (can't fathom why I didn't for my banners recently) but for icons, it can sometimes be tricky, especially with big posts.

If it helps, I can do a mass resources post for icons that I can post to my journal or website, then link it here in my sig?
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Nina (22-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    I usually do for bigger art (can't fathom why I didn't for my banners recently) but for icons, it can sometimes be tricky, especially with big posts.

If it helps, I can do a mass resources post for icons that I can post to my journal or website, then link it here in my sig?
    Big batches of icons can be tricky indeed. Such a list with all your sources could be an idea. If that takes too much time, you might want to mention the sources you used most often?

In the end we're all amateurs who don't make money with our fanart. It's not the end of the world when we forget to credit somebody. But recently I saw that nearly every piece of fanart was posted without credits and that's not right.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,976 Times in 5,393 Posts

Whatever you prefer. I just want members to honor the rule that a fanartist should credit the people who make their resources.
    Sure. I'll pop back into the recent threads and put that all resources are my own, or some such. It removes any uncertainty about whether it has just been forgotten.

Awesome that you make everything yourself btw.
    Thanks. I think it just shows what a control freak I am. And I'm not sure it always helps, some of the pieces where I've used texture others have created are my favourites of the ones I've made, ha.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Nina (22-08-18)

Thanks

Sorry, I know I've been guilty of this. I've deleted all my brushes from my PS so I can start again to give proper credit, since I don't actually know where I got them from. I usually get all my images from Google too, so I will start saving the images as something that will help me remember where I've got them from.

♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahm Shere For This Useful Post:

Nina (23-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,996 Times in 3,832 Posts

I am going to show my absolute ignorance here, but I am not a real artist, I'm just messing about and looking at other peoples art, they're doing stuff I don't understand. The stuff they use have names like 'Daydreaming' and I don't know what this is. If I want a picture or a colour or something, I google 'Blue wallpaper' and then just use whatever comes up . . . What is all this 'Daydreaming' 'Radiance' etc. etc. But of course I'll name the sites I downloaded from, if that's the same as naming your resources??

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Nina (23-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I am going to show my absolute ignorance here, but I am not a real artist, I'm just messing about and looking at other peoples art, they're doing stuff I don't understand. The stuff they use have names like 'Daydreaming' and I don't know what this is. If I want a picture or a colour or something, I google 'Blue wallpaper' and then just use whatever comes up . . . What is all this 'Daydreaming' 'Radiance' etc. etc. But of course I'll name the sites I downloaded from, if that's the same as naming your resources??
    Yep, that's the idea. If you use something you find on another website, you mention the website and/or the creator is that name is known/different from the website. Some creators of resources specify how they want to be credited.

Daydreaming is Jenni Lou's website and she has made resources like gradients and brushes. But her website also has a wonderful gallery of stills and promo pictures. I usually go there for my pictures. Radiance is (or was? I can't find it back) also a website of one of the BF members and I've downloaded resources there.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Josh (23-08-18),Priceless (23-08-18)