Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Spuffy in Season 9 (2)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    and 2) when it's a part of a hardcore Bangel-anti-Spike ridiculously biased interpretation of season 7, it doesn't really merit a rebuttal.
    I've had the person in question on ignore for a long time. That disgusting personal attack they made on another poster on Buffyboards was the last straw. I never want, or need, to see what they have to say again.

However, the fact remains that Stoney is right in that Spike's story is going around in circles, with things being regressed that didn't need regressing. I am still puzzled that they spent so much time on Spuffy early on if it wasn't leading somewhere later, but the whole story in Buffy season 9 has been so directionless and badly written that it's just par for the course.

I actually think that the same is true in Angel and Faith. Yes, Angel had a plan etc, but characterwise, he's just going around in circles too. It's really getting quite boring.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,875 Times in 5,744 Posts

I do like the Spike mini, I do think he got development there, I know many don't. But it was something to work on/with, not something actualised yet even. So they need to find him something to work on/battle with to go forward as well as applying the changes he has realised he wants. I think the Spuffy may well work fine once the overall picture is there but it won't surprise me if that includes S10 really as Buffy isn't ready to look at it yet and it takes two to develop it.

Angel is on for repeating his mistakes, it would be good if at some point he got some realisation.

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Angel is on for repeating his mistakes, it would be good if at some point he got some realisation.
    I can't see how that'll happen if the story keeps proving him right. I suppose it all comes down to what happens in the final issues.

That's what I find so boring, though. You can predict what's going to happen before it's even happened, because whatever it is, it'll justify Angel's actions somehow.

I'm expecting imminently a panel where Nadira admits that her sister slayers who were killed by Nash and Pearl were all evil, rogue slayers who deserved to die anyway.

Meanwhile, Angel the character learns nothing.

I didn't like the mini. I thought it could have been done much better and that what Spike learned from it was muddy, hard to quantify, and, IMO, something he already knew. But I agree Spike had more development in it than Angel's had all series.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 413 Posts

I'm expecting imminently a panel where Nadira admits that her sister slayers who were killed by Nash and Pearl were all evil, rogue slayers who deserved to die anyway.

Meanwhile, Angel the character learns nothing.

I didn't like the mini. I thought it could have been done much better and that what Spike learned from it was muddy, hard to quantify, and, IMO, something he already knew. But I agree Spike had more development in it than Angel's had all series.
    If anything, Nadira will probably forgive Angel because he didn't personally kill any of the Slayers and he (as far as anyone knows) did not order Pearl and Nash to do that.

I still think their is a real chance kid Giles might die. That may shake Angel out of his character loop.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Morphia (24-06-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morphia View Post
    I've had the person in question on ignore for a long time. That disgusting personal attack they made on another poster on Buffyboards was the last straw. I never want, or need, to see what they have to say again.
    I think we're supposed to pretend that we know nothing about what people post elsewhere (even though we obviously do know)...

However, the fact remains that Stoney is right in that Spike's story is going around in circles, with things being regressed that didn't need regressing.
    And we're back to the writers apparently having few ideas of what to do with the characters (MOST of the characters).

Not that I'm disagreeing with you. I think they have just run a full 360 for no real reason.

I just think they're displaying being out of ideas almost unilaterally across the board with virtually every character.

I am still puzzled that they spent so much time on Spuffy early on if it wasn't leading somewhere later
    A quixotic attempt at unscrewing a pooch?

They kinda went out of their way alienating a segment of fans last 'season' (starting with Allie's infamous SlayAlive brouhaha). I'm thinking they thought this was a bit of pandering acting as damage control. I HOPE they didn't think it was substantive because... it kind of wasn't.

but the whole story in Buffy season 9 has been so directionless and badly written that it's just par for the course.
    This.

I actually think that the same is true in Angel and Faith. Yes, Angel had a plan etc, but characterwise, he's just going around in circles too. It's really getting quite boring.
    A&F at least has a cohesive plot and active protagonist. That has a way of making it appear as though things are happening and makes it easier to read. That said, analysing for five minutes makes its flaws obvious as well.
    Last edited by shipperx; 25-06-13 at 12:21 AM.
    Learning Experience: "...one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
    ~Douglas Adams

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shipperx For This Useful Post:

ami (25-06-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shipperx View Post

A quixotic attempt at unscrewing a pooch?
    As I said exactly. Listening on the wrong port at the wrong IP address. The robot plot was exclusively Joss, same as his interview with 'it will be rooted in the verse lore'. From which sentence it is a quick and logical step that the Buffy-bot version 2 is rooted in the verse's lore - i.e in the Buffy-bot version 1 origins. Which make the plot specifically designed by Joss to highlight Spuffy inS9. Add here all the promises 'worth waiting for' - ie moment at the pool and the 'you are my darkplace' and you got your Spuffy plot reasons and definitions in S9 laid on a plate with a blue edge. To provide Spike with an eye-opener and a new direction. ( Yes, I know I am that person, which does not, btw, make my constructions any less logical.)

They kinda went out of their way alienating a segment of fans last 'season' (starting with Allie's infamous SlayAlive brouhaha).
    Blame it on SA's innocence more than his badwill towards 'particular segment of the fandom'. He could not have expected his honesty to translate into alienation so irrevocably. He even made a few attempts to explain himself ( "cannot give you what Joss does not think is right for the characters" - and it did not work. )

I'm thinking they thought this was a bit of pandering acting as damage control. I HOPE they didn't think it was substantive because... it kind of wasn't.
    It was a bit of pandering true, but also all that JW planned for this season. Don't blame the Dark Horse, if you need to blame somebody. Be honest and blame Joss.
    Last edited by dorotea; 25-06-13 at 02:10 AM.
    “Personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon” ranks as probably the best next-to-last line in TV history. (Granted, I’m not exactly sure what the competition is.) -- A.V. Club

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dorotea View Post
    As I said exactly. Listening on the wrong port at the wrong IP address. The robot plot was exclusively Joss, same as his interview with 'it will be rooted in the verse lore'. From which sentence it is a quick and logical step that the Buffy-bot version 2 is rooted in the verse's lore - i.e in the Buffy-bot version 1 origins. Which make the plot specifically designed by Joss to highlight Spuffy inS9. Add here all the promises 'worth waiting for' - ie moment at the pool and the 'you are my darkplace' and you got your Spuffy plot reasons and definitions in S9 laid on a plate with a blue edge. To provide Spike with an eye-opener and a new direction. ( Yes, I know I am that person, which does not, btw, make my constructions any less logical.)

Blame it on SA's innocence more than his badwill towards 'particular segment of the fandom'. He could not have expected his honesty to translate into alienation so irrevocably. He even made a few attempts to explain himself ( "cannot give you what Joss does not think is right for the characters" - and it did not work. )

It was a bit of pandering true, but also all that JW planned for this season. Don't blame the Dark Horse, if you need to blame somebody. Be honest and blame Joss.

I didn't know you were sitting in on the writers meetings and planning sessions. You don't find it at all strange that your Spuffy ending theory (planned by Joss of cause) sounds like Bangel fanfic and wish thinking.

The fact is your constant doom and gloom theories for Spike and Spuffy come from you and your bias rather than the text. What you fail to realize is that the writers don't have your shipper bias and overblown distaste for Spike and Spuffy.

And you trying to imply that joss had anything to do with your proposed end of Spuffy. Something which you cannot know and for which there is no evidence is exactly why we don't lend any credence to you preaching the end of Spuffy.

Cheer up you might get lucky and this could be the end of Spuffy. But then so might we, and twilight could be the end of Bangel.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goyt For This Useful Post:

ami (25-06-13),TimeTravellingBunny (25-06-13)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shipperx View Post
    I think we're supposed to pretend that we know nothing about what people post elsewhere (even though we obviously do know)...
    Really? I'd edit my comment, but judging by the latest comment in the thread, it seems a bit redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by shipperx
    I just think they're displaying being out of ideas almost unilaterally across the board with virtually every character.
    True.

They kinda went out of their way alienating a segment of fans last 'season' (starting with Allie's infamous SlayAlive brouhaha). I'm thinking they thought this was a bit of pandering acting as damage control. I HOPE they didn't think it was substantive because... it kind of wasn't.
    No, nothing will help with that. It's pretty clear that they're not keen on shippers in general, though. Allie may have a personal distaste for Spuffy, but I don't think he (or anyone else involved in the project, from Joss on down) has much time for 'shippers in general.

Which is okay. You can't write for particular interest groups. But if you're going to go out of your way to alienate those groups, you need to make sure you have a strong product to keep the general interest. And they haven't.

A&F at least has a cohesive plot and active protagonist. That has a way of making it appear as though things are happening and makes it easier to read. That said, analysing for five minutes makes its flaws obvious as well.
    Yes, it's so facile.

I did actually re-read Buffy season 9 at one point (during the Guarded arc, I think). I found it less awful than I'd thought the first time. Not good, but less awful. A&F, on the other hand, when I tried to re-read that (which, as you say appears better on the surface and has better art) I found so dull I couldn't even get through the first arc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Morphia For This Useful Post:

Curiouswolf40 (26-06-13)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

I did actually re-read Buffy season 9 at one point (during the Guarded arc, I think). I found it less awful than I'd thought the first time. Not good, but less awful. A&F, on the other hand, when I tried to re-read that (which, as you say appears better on the surface and has better art) I found so dull I couldn't even get through the first arc
    It's interesting. I can watch Buffy over and over again. I watch snippets before I got to bed, and when I get dressed in the morning.

But I have tried to do Angel re-watches, and I just struggle to get through them. I enjoy the first two seasons, then it starts to feel like a chore until Season 5.

I never get tired of Buffy.

Even if Angel and Faith were the better comic than Buffy, I am still going to care more about Buffy I guess.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Xane For This Useful Post:

ami (25-06-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 678 Posts

Season 1 AtS doesn't do much for me. (Though I cheered when Wes arrived.)

I really liked Seasons 2 & 3 though.

Season 4 had... issues.

And Season 5 did too, but it had Spike... so there's that.

Originally Posted by shipperx
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphia View Post
    Really? I'd edit my comment, but judging by the latest comment in the thread, it seems a bit redundant.
    Personally, I think it shows heroic restraint on your part not to re-post some of the OTT splooge that's been posted elsewhere simply to illustrate your point.

Go you!
    Last edited by shipperx; 25-06-13 at 08:54 PM.
    Learning Experience: "...one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.”
    ~Douglas Adams

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xane View Post
    Even if Angel and Faith were the better comic than Buffy, I am still going to care more about Buffy I guess.
    Me too. AtS is great and all, but BtVS is a better show by far. And I know that the A&F comic gets lots of praise, but it doesn't, IMO, stand up to a re-read. Really, it's not that much better than the Buffy comic.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Morphia For This Useful Post:

ami (25-06-13)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0g5vQsSiF8

This is especially for those who haven't seen BtVS S6 dailies. I still want the "Out of My Mind" (B 5.04) dailies. I'd like ALL the BtVS dailies, but especially all Buffy/Spike dailies.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

flow (23-02-19)