Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearts on Fire - Fanartist Community Hangout

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post

Has there ever been a time when you've just ignored a part of canon that you just didn't like or didn't agree with, and therefore just pretend that it didn't happen or didn't exist?
    I know there are people out there who don't like to think of the BtVs/AtS comics are canon, and right now, I'm seriously thinking of joining them. Seriously, that god-awful Queen of the Slayers novel was better than what's going on right now, lol.
    I pretty much completely ignore "Normal Again" as ever happening in BTVS. That episode is just such a kick in the teeth to me, as a fan. It feels like joss is making fun of the people who love and accept the Buffyverse as "real", you know??

Has there ever been a character you hated SO much that you can't even stand the actor in other roles? For example, I hate Connor so much that I can't stand to look at Vincent Karthieser.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HisMRS View Post
    Has there ever been a character you hated SO much that you can't even stand the actor in other roles? For example, I hate Connor so much that I can't stand to look at Vincent Karthieser.
    That's such a pity, Vincent Kartheiser is a fantastic actor. His Pete Campbell is Emmy-worthy and it's a shame that he isn't even nominated once the last years. In my opinion he is the only Buffyverse alumni that showed he is truly worth following.

Ehm but no, I usually don't 'blame' actors for their characters, by example Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List is probably the most hated role you can imagine and I never had any problem with the actor. But I do sometimes dislike a character because of the way the actor plays the character. I find Willow one of the most grating characters there is, and one of the reasons why I do think that is the way AH played her. Especially the voice...

Which show demands you to turn of your mind and just enjoy the ride, because you know that when you start thinking you see only horrible ideas and plotholes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    [I][SIZE="1"]

Which show demands you to turn of your mind and just enjoy the ride, because you know that when you start thinking you see only horrible ideas and plotholes?
    I was going to say Once upon a Time but it has gotten really good again so I am actually paying attention again

So I'll have to say True Blood it is the only show I watch because I want to see how it ends rather then because I care for the characters...

Has there ever been a scene/or a show where you understood that the plot is ridiculous/there are plot holes but the acting is so good that you just continue watching?
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Has there ever been a scene/or a show where you understood that the plot is ridiculous/there are plot holes but the acting is so good that you just continue watching?
    At first I was thinking about Becoming, Passion or Graduation Day. But I think that it's not really the acting that sells the less logical sides of these episodes but simply Joss Whedon (or in the case of Passion, Ty King) feeling that he could get away with these plotholes because the story itself was powerful enough.

I guess Doctor Who fits better, especially the Doctors are played by really good actors who often sell the worst lines and stories. By example the recent episode with the sun-god that eats things of emotional value, what really saved that episode (besides the stunning music) was Matt Smith's acting. The speech of the Doctor was so powerful because MS captures the old soul of the character so well, but the text itself was rather cheesy and the situation insane.

Which show or movie (non-musical) has the best soundtrack?

Thanks

Which show or movie (non-musical) has the best soundtrack?
    I absolutely LOVE the music featured on "The Vampire Diaries". Not only do they mix indie music with mainstream hits, but the score is also beautiful. I'm also a big fan of the music that's been used on "The Walking Dead"!

What TV show or movie's set design wows you?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HisMRS For This Useful Post:

Firecracker (08-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

What TV show or movie's set design wows you?
    OMG GAME OF THRONES. If watching it is too ridiculous (there are a lot a lot of plots to follow and a lot a lot a lot of characters to follow - and the books are worse!), then just watch the show because of its beauty. I love shows that film all over the world. Hell, anything on HBO, Showtime, etc. They have the budgets to go all out and it's just stunning stuff to watch.

Do you like owning the TV series/movie/book etc or are you a fly-by-your-seat watch and be cool kind of person? I love owning things so I can always go back and rewatch it. I've got a ridiculous amount of TV on DVD and I only want more (and I do use them!).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (07-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bre View Post
    Do you like owning the TV series/movie/book etc or are you a fly-by-your-seat watch and be cool kind of person? I love owning things so I can always go back and rewatch it. I've got a ridiculous amount of TV on DVD and I only want more (and I do use them!).
    I started my large boxset collection during my teenage years and it's built over the years, and as much as I'd like to keep up with everything I do now find myself asking 'do I really need this' when it comes to any new shows... it has to be something that I love to make the purchase

I have a habit of not really caring about a certain ship until something tragic happens to one of the characters, meaning they never end up together. Then suddenly they become my OTP.

Anyone else follow this pattern and if so which couple?
    Find me at facebook - tumblr - twitter - livejournal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firecracker View Post
    I have a habit of not really caring about a certain ship until something tragic happens to one of the characters, meaning they never end up together. Then suddenly they become my OTP.

Anyone else follow this pattern and if so which couple?
    I was kinda like that with Doyle and Cordelia for a while... I thought they were cute together, but I didn't hardcore get into the 'ship til after I'd already seen "Hero". The second time I watched "Angel" I was pretty emotional as I watched their scenes...
    I was like this a lot with Spike and Buffy, too. When I first watched the relationship unfold, I was like "Spike with Buffy?! NOOOO!!!" but after seeing "Chosen" I realized how much I actually did love them together. After all these years, I'm still torn on who I like Buffy with more: Angel or Spike. :P

Is there a beloved character on any of your shows that you just can't stand?

Thanks

Is there a beloved character on any of your shows that you just can't stand?
    Yup 2 even, while I'm usually not a person whose preferences are all that shocking. But I can't stand either Rose (Doctor Who) and Willow (BtVS).

Rose is so selfish (or at least egocentric) that she doesn't even bother to think about her poor boyfriend and mother when she jumps in the Tardis and disappears for weeks. They thought she was dead! And she doesn't even care.... Also she whines when other companions (Martha and Sarah Jane) get some attention as well, she never treated her boyfriend Mickey with respect (read: cheating on him, not taking his fears and feelings serious etc.) and she always wants more than what she gets. And it doesn't help that the showrunner was in love with Rose, every season ended with her or was secretly about her.... she wasn't in the third season but the Doctor whined about her the whole time despite having a new (and much more awesome) companion. Ugh.... Rose. I honestly don't get why she is this popular.

And Willow, another showrunner's darling. My problems with Willow are a combination of several elements; the acting, the way she gets away with everything and all the power she had in the final seasons. Willow rapes, kills, steals, tortures, tries to destroy the earth enz. And nobody truly cares, yes she went ponyriding with Giles in England but besides that? Nope... actually season 7 ends with some sort of unearned redemption when Willow starts to glow as a god. Also despite being so extremely powerful she always has that "don't look at me.... I'm just Willow" thing going on, including babyvoice. And she never truly faces herself and her own issues, despite knowing she isn't very stable and knowing she can destroy the earth... if there is somebody who likes to abuse power and cheat on her lovers.... It's Willow. And she always gets away with it. And because of her power she became that stupid deus ex machina... have a problem? Willow knows a spell... because in less than 5 years she became an absolute powerhouse. Woohoo, I find Willow's power a much bigger problem than by example Cordelia's glowing power because Cordy can't control it and her power is thus useless in 90% of the cases. Willow can always save the day with her magic...

Ah well.... I don't like them. (also I hate Damon... but after a while I hated Stefan, Elena and most of the others as well and stopped watching... so whatever.)

What is your favorite season of any show?
    By example I adore Mad Men season 2, BtVS season 2 and Ats season 2. (That it's all season 2 is random... so perhaps the example is bad. )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (07-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

What is your favorite season of any show?
    By example I adore Mad Men season 2, BtVS season 2 and Ats season 2. (That it's all season 2 is random... so perhaps the example is bad. )
    Hmmmm.....Alias season 2 is fantastic. So exciting and fun and dramatic! Some of the best eps of the series are in there. In fact, most of them!!

Fringe season 2 is crazy awesome. Things get freaky (freakier? ) with the whole alternate universe. Amazing stuff in there.

Sons of Anarchy season 2. Best season of the show, hands down. You'll be hard-pressed to find a fan who disagrees, I think.

The X-Files season 6 is a fave of mine. It has some strong mytharc eps, but mostly, it has some amazing standalones and standalone eps are seldom among my favorites.

Okay, that enough, I guess.

What's a show that you love and think is underrated and that more people should watch?

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Lou View Post

What's a show that you love and think is underrated and that more people should watch?
    I absolutely LOVE the US version of "Being Human". I don't know anyone who watches it besides my husband and myself and I think it's a real shame. Most people I know watch the UK version, and I can appreciate the original, but I really love the different writing style and the actors of the US version. It deserves way more of a following!!

If you were going to try to convert me to a fan of your favorite show, what 1 episode would you have me watch??

Thanks

If you were going to try to convert me to a fan of your favorite show, what 1 episode would you have me watch??
    Ats is still my favorite show and I think I would show you Are You Now or Have You Ever Been. The episode is stunning and very well written, it also shows you what kind of series Ats is because it takes huge risks with it's main character. It's an episode that is truly about Angel and what kind of person he is (ruthless, broken but forgiving and the urge to be a good man.). Also it's not part of a big arc, which means that anyone can watch it and understand (most of) it and if you like it you can start watching the series and almost nothing is spoiled for you.

What was your favorite show when you were a child?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (07-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

I absolutely LOVE the US version of "Being Human". I don't know anyone who watches it besides my husband and myself and I think it's a real shame. Most people I know watch the UK version, and I can appreciate the original, but I really love the different writing style and the actors of the US version. It deserves way more of a following!!
    I love the US Being Human as well! But I already loved Sam Witwer and Sam Huntington so I have been excited about the show since it was announced. It has had its slow points especially season one which closely followed the UK plot. But I think each season has gotten much better. S3 was really good with so much time devoted to the three of them spending time together rather than separate storylines. I would love to see it arted more. (Plus, never enough Sam Witwer art for me! )

Quote Originally Posted by Nina
    What was your favorite show when you were a child?

So many shows when I was a kid! Cartoons like Voltron, Transformers, and My Little Pony. Adult detective shows my parents probably didnt know I would regularly sneak into a room with a tv to watch when I was supposed to be asleep -- Knight Rider and Magnum PI because of awesome cars and Simon & Simon because of squabbling brothers who looked out for each other( Lol, see a trend for being predisposed for Supernatural's style). And as I got older, Star Trek the original series was aired in syndication after school. And Star Trek The Next Generation started airing each week. So that was something the whole family could watch and discuss.

Name a character who died that you bring back to life. It doesnt have to be a supernatural show.

Lydia made the punch!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (07-05-13)

Thanks

Ats is still my favorite show and I think I would show you Are You Now or Have You Ever Been. The episode is stunning and very well written, it also shows you what kind of series Ats is because it takes huge risks with it's main character. It's an episode that is truly about Angel and what kind of person he is (ruthless, broken but forgiving and the urge to be a good man.). Also it's not part of a big arc, which means that anyone can watch it and understand (most of) it and if you like it you can start watching the series and almost nothing is spoiled for you.
    Yes! thank you! I thought I was the only one who liked that episode I couldn't agree more

I like the question so I am borrowing it. my favorite show is still Battlestar Galactica and I would have you watch ....the entire show.... kidding no seriously I think I'll have you watch Kobol's last gleaming part 2 despite it being a season finale it has everything that makes the show so good and it has all of the shows characteristics at the same time all of the core characters get attention and it sets up the arc for the entire show IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    Name a character who died that you bring back to life. It doesnt have to be a supernatural show.
    Well Snape... who is technically dead but I tend to ignore that other then that I am actually pretty ok with characters dying as long as it makes sense and their arc seems finished

What kind of shows do you watch more often the others? Comedy? Drama? and what attracts you to the genre?
    Last edited by Mara; 07-05-13 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks

What kind of shows do you watch more often the others? Comedy? Drama? and what attracts you to the genre?
    I am normally more attracted to dramas. I love comedy, too, but so few of the newer comedies I actually find funny. I miss shows like "FRIENDS" and "Will and Grace". :\

If you ship any crossover couples, which one do you ship the most and why?

Thanks

I had to answer this one. Buffy/Dean. And why? They just fit together in my head. Most people see Faith and Dean as the couple and I can see that, but as far as compatibility and just working with each other? Buffy/Dean 4ever. They have the same mentalities as far as their approach to life but they also have that little bad side that I think they bring out in each other. I love writing/seeing Buffy/Dean things where they are just at each other's throats - I think I view Buffy/Dean as sort of a Buffy/Spike alternate (which is interesting because I am Bangel, as I've discussed at length with a friend of mine who is Spuffy) - they challenge each other constantly and they have a great respect and love for each other that is constantly being tested. I think mentally-wise Dean and Faith are quite similar but as far as a couple? Buffy/Dean - they just balance! And that was a hideous explanation but I hope it made sense. I'm hopped up on espresso at the moment...

Which shows currently on air do you think would make a great crossover episode? Anything supernatural crossing with non-supernatural, perhaps?

Thanks

Oh my, I can't let this one slide! I've never been one for crossovers because for some reason I find it hard to get into these alternative universes and to see the characters relate and just imagine how the whole thing would work. So I'm normally quite an orthodox fanartist concerning crossovers Don't get me wrong, I love to watch the art and I'm willing to read and visualise the story behind these pieces (especially Bre and Mara, the queens of crossovers for me ), I just can't do it myself. Well, that is with one exception.
    I absolutely love and adore the Buffy/Thor ship There is just nothing like this couple when it comes to crossovers for me. I'm sure I have explained times and times again here why I think they would be perfect for each other, so I don't want to bore any of you guys with long winded explanations I feel that in so many ways these two click perfectly together. Buffy started out as a shallow vain girl, who was suddenly forced to face and unimaginable life change and she was given a huge responsibility, out of the blue. Thor's story is a lot like that - he was being prepared to be responsible for his people, but nonetheless he was a careless young boy, reckless with the lives of his friends as well as with his own. The words vanity and arrogance wouldn't go amiss either They both started out as completely different people to who they became. Buffy grew up to become a fierce fighter, someone with responsibility and she never turned her back on "the mission" - I feel like Thor, who was forced to grow up as well, can relate to this complete. I love that he is actually strong enough to be a valuable partner to her and an ally in time of need - he might even be stronger than her in terms of physical abilities, which I find kind of sweet in a way They understand their burdens, but they are both still innocent in a way, sometimes careless and I feel like the sense of humor and jokes in these characters work perfectly together. She is the Slayer and as such her life will never be normal and he is a demi-god, who was never designed to be normal. This is one of the kind of relationships that I can just feel in my heart that (I am actually aware I'm talking about imaginary people ) were made for each other, in a completely "soulmate" kind of way

Is there a series/fandom that you associate with a certain phase or time of your life, series that helped you get through things or that you just feel emotinally attached to on a personal level?

Edit: Oops Bre posted hers while I was writing mine. Do I need to do something/edit something now?
    In the end, we all are who we are, no matter how much we may appear to have changed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
    Oh my, I can't let this one slide! I've never been one for crossovers because for some reason I find it hard to get into these alternative universes and to see the characters relate and just imagine how the whole thing would work. So I'm normally quite an orthodox fanartist concerning crossovers Don't get me wrong, I love to watch the art and I'm willing to read and visualise the story behind these pieces (especially Bre and Mara, the queens of crossovers for me ), I just can't do it myself. Well, that is with one exception.
    I absolutely love and adore the Buffy/Thor ship There is just nothing like this couple when it comes to crossovers for me. I'm sure I have explained times and times again here why I think they would be perfect for each other, so I don't want to bore any of you guys with long winded explanations I feel that in so many ways these two click perfectly together. Buffy started out as a shallow vain girl, who was suddenly forced to face and unimaginable life change and she was given a huge responsibility, out of the blue. Thor's story is a lot like that - he was being prepared to be responsible for his people, but nonetheless he was a careless young boy, reckless with the lives of his friends as well as with his own. The words vanity and arrogance wouldn't go amiss either They both started out as completely different people to who they became. Buffy grew up to become a fierce fighter, someone with responsibility and she never turned her back on "the mission" - I feel like Thor, who was forced to grow up as well, can relate to this complete. I love that he is actually strong enough to be a valuable partner to her and an ally in time of need - he might even be stronger than her in terms of physical abilities, which I find kind of sweet in a way They understand their burdens, but they are both still innocent in a way, sometimes careless and I feel like the sense of humor and jokes in these characters work perfectly together. She is the Slayer and as such her life will never be normal and he is a demi-god, who was never designed to be normal. This is one of the kind of relationships that I can just feel in my heart that (I am actually aware I'm talking about imaginary people ) were made for each other, in a completely "soulmate" kind of way
    I love this interpretation of that crossover. And I love seeing your work with them in wallpapers, it's so stunning, you do an amazing job getting their angst across and it makes my feels go boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
    Is there a series/fandom that you associate with a certain phase or time of your life, series that helped you get through things or that you just feel emotinally attached to on a personal level?

Edit: Oops Bre posted hers while I was writing mine. Do I need to do something/edit something now?
    I don't think so! MORE CROSSOVER TALK, MORE!

Buffy, 100%. I got into Buffy during high school which were my very angsty years about not knowing who I was, what I wanted to do with my life, etc etc and having Buffy there really grounded me in certain aspects. It also gave me something to focus on as I didn't have anything major going on at school to obsess on. And I need things to obsess about, it's just in my DNA. This is also why most of my tattoos are Buffy-inspired. The show means so much to me and it helped me through so many things that happened in my life. It also introduced me to so many amazing people who in turn helped me through major things going on in RL. Buffy is my THING, man. MY THING. I will always love this show, not only for how amazing it is, but for how it was there for me when I needed something.

How do you associate yourself with your favorite shows? And I mean this in the respect that the angst that Buffy/Angel went through was a touchstone for me going through my first major breakup and I was like, "If freaking Buffy can get over it, I goddamn well can!" That makes me sound insane.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bre View Post

How do you associate yourself with your favorite shows? And I mean this in the respect that the angst that Buffy/Angel went through was a touchstone for me going through my first major breakup and I was like, "If freaking Buffy can get over it, I goddamn well can!" That makes me sound insane.
    No. This is insane: my relationship is so just like Bangel so we are soul mates too we will survive damn it! (now picture me watching graduation day...)

But yeah I pretty much do the same thing you do if Buffy can do it so can I (which is weird considering I gravitate towards the bad guys) But I use my shows and especially the characters that I love to go trough my pain

has there ever been a character that you felt like watching him/her/it was like looking in the mirror because they were so similar to you
    for me this character is OUAT's Belle and not because she is all pretty and smart but more becasue she never gives up, also in the worst way just her attitude towards people (especially Rumple) is like looking in the mirror for and it's not always a good mirror lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

has there ever been a character that you felt like watching him/her/it was like looking in the mirror because they were so similar to you
    Never the full aspect of a character. I see bits of myself in certain characters. For example, I'm the oldest of three children, so I understand Dean Winchester's overwhelming need to protect his sibling. I would do the same for mine, but there's not much else of Dean's character that relates to me. And, at the same time, as the only boy, my brother has that same drive to protect his sisters, despite being the middle child, so I understand how Sam feels knowing that there's someone out there who would give up his life for him. Parker from Leverage is another character I see aspects of myself in. Her child-like attitude towards certain things is something I have and her weird sense of humor is kind of like mine.

Has there ever copied the hairstyle or dress-style of a character or actor in your fandom?
    I cut my hair like Buffy's S6 bob pretty much the day after 'Gone' aired, lol. And I've bought clothing or shoes because they looked like Buffy's/Faith's/Ruby's/Whoever.
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum