Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearts on Fire - Fanartist Community Hangout

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Default Hearts on Fire - Fanartist Community Hangout

This thread is a resource for fanartists of this community. To post in this thread you must have posted your fanart ten times in either a general fanart thread or a challenge. (If your post count is under 30, then only three fanart posts required.)

The fanartist community has changed over the years in both membership and favorite fandoms. Art may be done for ourselves, but having it speak to at least one person is monumentally rewarding. I think we all want to get to know each other better so I wanted a thread where we can find out what subjects move us passionately in fanart?

This thread will run like a game thread. Answer the question above you and then pose your own question. I will post some possible questions, but feel free to create anything!
    1. A favorite ship.
    2. A favorite character of Buffy.
    3. A character who annoys you.
    4. A fandom others love but you dont.
    5. An underappreciated character.
    6. A show you loved that was cancelled too early.
    7. Favorite new television show.
    8. Favorite episode/scene.
    9. A movie you love.
    When answering the question, add at least one reason why you chose that answer. Anything personal to you is fine. For example, if you don't have a why, add a favorite moment related to the character/ship/show. Just share something.

Because discussion is encouraged, a question can be passed 4 times before it must be answered. You can reply to someone's answer without answering their question but your post must end with the person's question and the number of passes left. When the last pass is used, add "NO PASSES LEFT" to the comment. The next poster must answer the question and pose a new question. Of course, that question can be related to the topic that sparked discussion.
    Example:

Spoiler:

Q. What is your favorite character?

Poster One:
    A. I love Cordelia because she speaks her mind!
    Q. What is your favorite ship?

Poster Two:
    Oh yeah! Me too! I love in Earshot when Buffy hears Cordelia's thoughts and then Cordelia speaks the same exact thought aloud. No self editing.
    Q. What is your favorite ship? THREE PASSES LEFT.

Poster Three:
    Great scene! My favorite part of that scene is Oz having an existential crisis since if Buffy knows all thoughts then she is him and he doesn't exit.
    Q. What is your favorite ship? TWO PASSES LEFT.

Poster Four:
    Eh, I didn't find it bold of Cordelia to just speak her thoughts, I think it makes her simple minded. She is one of my least favorite characters. I was glad when she went to AtS.
    Q. What is your favorite ship? ONE PASS LEFT.

Poster Five:
    Comment: Poster One, I agree, Cordelia speaking her mind was one of my favorite aspects of her. Often she spoke insightfully without even realizing how poignant she was. I love in 2.01 when everyone else is reeling from being kidnapped and almost sacrficed and she is more upset about her clothing. But the comment, "You can dryclean til judgment day but those stains are never coming out," works on other levels about how events can forever mark and change us and never be forgotten.

Q. What is your favorite ship? NO PASSES LEFT.

Poster Six:
    My favorite ship in BtVS is Buffy/Angel because it seemed innocent among such danger and forbidding. Lol, that sounds stupid. I should have just said I love the scene after she is attacked ice skating and kisses him while he is vamped.

Oooh, yeah, Poster Five! That 2.01 quote was a favorite of mine! It is amazing how clueless yet resonating some of her comments are.
    Q. What is your favorite Cordelia moment?
    Bolding the question is good. However, it isn't required since that can be trouble from a phone or tablet.

Q. What was the last fandom/ship/character that you arted?

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Ok let's get going in these threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    A. I've just made a Game of Thrones wallpaper featuring Daenerys from episode 3.04

Q. Name a show you loved that was cancelled too early?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

I did not know these threads existed, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post

As much as I love Firefly and Dollhouse, I'm going to say Dark Angel here. I just loved the whole tone of that show. Two seasons was definitely not enough. But, then again, if DA had gone on, we might not have Supernatural, Have to think about these things, lol.

Which ship shows up most in your art?
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Nikki (01-05-13)

Thanks

A. I've just made a Game of Thrones wallpaper featuring Daenerys from episode 3.04
    New Nikki art?? MUST go and check this out!!!

OMG!!! Sooooooo many to name!!! I read this question and was like OMG MUST ANSWER! Lol. Okay, so for me...

Moonlight - could easily have gone another season, the last half of the season really upped its game and was just getting interesting; also, it just hit our screens a year too early and missed the new wave of vampire craze that could have upped its ratings!

Jericho - absolutely adored season 1 and was glad it got the extra second season, and the fact it was only 6 or 7 episodes made it better imo as they just seemed to cram so much in there, loved it!

Dark Angel - I think most people know my position on this. Season three would have been the year for Max/Alec!!!

Dead Like Me - sarcastic, dark and hilarious; I loved this show and really wish it had gone on, I'm sure there was so much more they could have done. Watched the movie, kind of wish I hadn't.

Popular - lol, I loved this when it was on TV and HATED that it wasn't picked up after that mean cliffhanger!

Veronica Mars - I wasn't a huge fan of season three, but still think it deserved to come back... but YAY movie soon...

Firefly - not so much that it's toward the bottom of my list, but I'm a massive Castle fan, so.... I like the fact Nathan was free to move on, lol! :P

And most recently for me, Alphas! Seriously, I was really enjoying this!!

Okay so there's probably more, but that is already a long answer, soweee!!!

Question: TV series you think would be great with a musical episode!!
    (purely because I'm getting excited to see the psych musical ep coming up!)

Art by Sayjay at Radiance

6. The Following User Says Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

Nikki (01-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    I did not know these threads existed, lol.

As much as I love Firefly and Dollhouse, I'm going to say Dark Angel here. I just loved the whole tone of that show. Two seasons was definitely not enough. But, then again, if DA had gone on, we might not have Supernatural, Have to think about these things, lol.

You beat me by a minute! Serves me right for such a loooong answer! I'd say my main ship is probably Alec/Max from Dark Angel and Stefan and Elena from Vampire Diaries...

For my question see my post above!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

Okay, these threads are going to get dangerous for me working on a computer all day...

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    The last wallpaper I made was for the books Black Dagger Brotherhood Series by J.R. Ward and it was a 'ship wall between a vampire named Wrath and George, his blind seeing eye dog. Just a silly wall to show the relationship that Wrath (called The Blind King) has with his dog. It was more of a character piece in the end the way it was executed, I suppose.

I'm pretty obvious with Buffy/Dean and Buffy/Angel. I've got this obsessive thing where I LIKE things a lot and so I art the absolutely crap out of them.

(The brilliant SJ answered the cancellation question better than I ever could. What she said.)

What is a fandom that others are completely bonkers about but you just don't get?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bre View Post

What is a fandom that others are completely bonkers about but you just don't get?
    Game of Thrones.

Like, really a lot.

My best friend and I were talking the other day about how this show just seems to have completely passed us by. I mean, the show films practically on my freaking doorstep, lol, but I just cannot see what all the fuss is about.

What's your favorite musical?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Lady Manson (01-05-13)

Thanks

Game of Thrones.

Like, really a lot.

My best friend and I were talking the other day about how this show just seems to have completely passed us by. I mean, the show films practically on my freaking doorstep, lol, but I just cannot see what all the fuss is about.

What's your favorite musical?
    I was waiting for someone to say Game of Thrones! I mean I had the feeling everyone liked it! (I do like it by the way but I'm glad not everyone does)

Favorite musical: Phantom of the Opera whops forgot the why well I am not a big musical fan but I have been introduced to the phantom at a really young age so it's childhood sentiment

What is the episode/movie you feel like you have arted every frame of and yet you still art it?
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I was waiting for someone to say Game of Thrones! I mean I had the feeling everyone liked it! (I do like it by the way but I'm glad not everyone does)

Favorite musical: Phantom of the Opera whops forgot the why well I am not a big musical fan but I have been introduced to the phantom at a really young age so it's childhood sentiment

What is the episode/movie you feel like you have arted every frame of and yet you still art it?
    LOVE Phantom, Not sure it's my fave though!

I have arted Dark Angel's episode "Hello, Goodbye" tonnnnnes of times, and Supernatural's "In My Time of Dying", there's probably others but those two came to my mind the second I read the Q!!

(yes, I'm repeating it, lol... come on people!!!)

Thanks

Game of Thrones! Hahaha, it is definitely intensely loved by, like, everyone. Including me! It's one of the rare shows that my brother and I both watch so we both can get out geek on and it's awesome (he just moved in with me). But to be honest, the books are actually better. The show is just stunning and awesome and really cool, IMO, but the books are better. And I'm only on the first one. Although it's not a show that I've really had the chance to get my fanart nails in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Oooh, easy. BtVS, Innocence. I could art that episode until I die and I'll keep arting it. The ANGST, damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by slaycandy View Post
    The Vampire Diaries! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a scene between Damon and Stefan singing at each other, OMG I would just die.

Are you a "shipping" person or are you a "character" person? Do you care more about the characters alone or does the show really come to life with the 'ships? Why?

Thanks

Are you a "shipping" person or are you a "character" person? Do you care more about the characters alone or does the show really come to life with the 'ships? Why?
    It's very, very rare that I would ship anything in a show. I think I got a little disheartened by all the hatred that was past back and forth between the Spuffies and the Bangels back when I first got into fandom. I just got so upset by both sides that I just walked away completely.

I have RPS ships that I read and write and I ship the absolute HELL out of Danneel/Jensen and Genevieve/Jared, but when it comes to shows, I tend not to ship much, and definitely not any of the main characters. (My last actual ship was Meg/Cas, lol)

Is your favorite character usually a good guy or a bad guy?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,255 Posts

Is your favorite character usually a good guy or a bad guy?
    Certainly the good guy, I do like both the shiny heroes like Harry Potter and the tragic heroes like Batman or Angel. As long the intentions are good, I'm fan. Also I disagree with the notion that good guys are boring or lame. Even the most shiny of them all, Superman, can be really facinating when written right.

Doesn't mean that I don't like to watch or read about bad guys but I can't root for them the way I root for the good guys. Take by example the Harry Potter villains, I can't overlook their racism and actions (murdering innocent people who can't even defend themselves).

Which show or movie has the best promomaterial (posters, promopictures, trailers perhaps.)?

Thanks

Originally posted by Nina
    Which show or movie has the best promomaterial (posters, promopictures, trailers perhaps.)?
    Although I'm not a fan, I have to say that one of the movies(s) that has the best promotional material, whether it be posters or trailers, is the Star Wars franchise. They're just beautiful. My husband is a total Star Wars nerd, so we have a ton of the posters (including some of the spendier geek purchases) in our house. I won't take them down because they are just so well done, whether they are based on the themes of love or war.

Plus, people go to movies to see trailers for them and don't even stay for the movie. That's saying something, in my opinion.

So, my question:
    Who is your favorite bad guy, and why? (I'm a stickler for the bad guys. )

::Shadow of Reflection::
    NOW CAPPING YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOWS AND MOVIES!!! See them HERE...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Manson View Post

So, my question:
    Who is your favorite bad guy, and why? (I'm a stickler for the bad guys. )
    Ruby from Supernatural. I loved both of her incarnations, but I absolutely adored Gen Padalecki's portrayal of her. She played the whole thing brilliantly. I loved her whole arc, how she was exactly what Sam needed at each particular point in his life - the sarcastic, bitchy best friend when he needed someone to kick his ass into saving Dean, and the sympathetic, comforting presence of a lover when he needed someone to hold him and pick him back up after Dean's death. I liked how they changed the whole concept of the character because there was no way Katie!Ruby would have been able to talk Sam into drinking her blood - he needed that sultry beauty who got into his head as well as his bed. I liked how they kept her plan secret until it was too late to do anything about it. We all knew that Ruby was bad news towards the latter end of the season, but it was a nice moment to see how truly she had pulled the wool over Sam's eyes.

I think she's epic.

My question:

We're all here because of our love of BtVS, so what's your absolute favorite moment or scene from the show?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Lady Manson (02-05-13)

Thanks

We're all here because of our love of BtVS, so what's your absolute favorite moment or scene from the show?
    I first got into Buffy during the beginning of the fourth season. My grandma had sent me some of the tie-in novellas and I was like, huh, this is pretty cool. What's the show like? This was when it was still cool to rent VHS from Blockbuster and I got my mom to rent a Buffy/Angel set (the "important" Buffy/Angel episodes) and I will never forget this: it was like one in the morning and in the living room watching Becoming Part II when Buffy sends Angel back to Hell and I felt like my entire chest was a balloon about to shatter. It was the end of my pre-fandom life, that moment.

Along those lines...

What was the major moment that started your fandom love?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

What was the major moment that started your fandom love?
    Ooh that's a hard one! I think the moment I REALLY became hardcore into the Buffy fandom was when Angel lost his soul in Season 2. My heart literally hurt for Buffy when I watched those episodes, and "Becoming" tore me up. I literally mourned all summer between Season 2 and Season 3! That was when I realized BtVS was much more than a show to me.

What one moment in your fandoms has made you the most emotional?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HisMRS View Post

What one moment in your fandoms has made you the most emotional?
    Lord, the Leverage finale. Christmas day was a freaking DISASTER for me.

I knew, KNEW, to the bottom of my soul, that ALL of the actors had signed on for another season. From Christian Kane's lips to my ears as I sat in that room with hundreds of other people, watching him and Timothy Hutton explain that, yes, they would all be back for a new season IF the network gave them one, but this was the ending that they'd always planned for the show, just in case they didn't get renewed.

Well, did that matter one litter bit? NOPE! I was a wreck watching that episode. And they didn't get renewed, lol. I have never, ever, in all my years of fandom, cried harder at an episode, or laughed harder, or mourned over the perfect ending for such a perfect show. It was an amazing episode, my favorite episode of Leverage and my favorite ending of a TV show EVER.

What moment in your fandom - any fandom - would you change if you could and how?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,255 Posts

What moment in your fandom - any fandom - would you change if you could and how?

Hmmm tie between the Harry Potter epilogue and the Buffyverse comics.

The epilogue was simply badly written and it also shut the door for readers to come up with their own endings. The series would be better without this corny last chapter in my opinion. And it would leave things open for our own imagination. Also Albus Severus wouldn't exist.... I still can't wrap my head around Harry naming his son after the man who deeply hated him and his father.

And the comics because those semi-ruined the Buffyverse for me. Too many writers lack feeling for the characters, the ideas for stories are insane, important characters are completely ruined or ignored (Ats as a whole is just broken up without a good reason) and it's all canon. As an Angel fan who spend quite some time figuring out the character it was quite a smack in the face when the writers (in the comics) didn't care about his character or his story and just used him as a horrible plotpoint in Buffy's stupid season 8 arc. Meh, the only reason why I still hope for a movie would be because it would erase the comics from canon. That way I could go back and remember the Buffyverse much more fondly.

[/rant]

What fandom did you love at the beginning but stopped loving it after a while? (by example after watching it during a re-watch, or perhaps just newer seasons/books/movies that you enjoy less.)
    Last edited by Nina; 04-07-13 at 06:28 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Bre (02-05-13),Zugma (02-05-13)

Thanks

Excellent points about the Buffy comics, Nina! I personally don't recognize them as canon myself only because of how crazy they get - there are a lot of wtf moments that are fun to read because they are comics but other than that? No. I can't wrap my head around them. I will say I like the Faith/Giles relationship but where Buffy goes and Angel's arc and then Giles... I see the writers more as people interested in the series but not invested - people who don't get the characters aka not canon in Bre's head. It didn't even occur to me to mention Buffy post S7.

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    What fandom did you love at the beginning but stopped loving it after a while? (by example after watching it during a re-watch, or perhaps just newer seasons/books/movies that you enjoy less.)
    The Vampire Diaries. And for no other reason than I just can't stand Elena. Can't. Stand. Her. I don't know if it's Nina or if it's what they've done with her character or the absurd love triangle... Elena is a character that drives me crazy to the point I roll my eyes whenever she does something. And she's like in every scene. It ruined the show for me which is a bummer because I love the other characters and some of the arcs - hello Klaus/Caroline. But Elena killed TVD for me.

Are in a "secondhand fandom" where you find yourself acting fandom-like or able to hold a conversation about a show/book/etc without having seen or read anything related to it? (Example: Tumblr made me ship things I know nothing about such as Derek/Stiles from Teen Wolf... which in turn led me to watching the show and loving it...)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (06-05-13)

Thanks

Are in a "secondhand fandom" where you find yourself acting fandom-like or able to hold a conversation about a show/book/etc without having seen or read anything related to it? (Example: Tumblr made me ship things I know nothing about such as Derek/Stiles from Teen Wolf... which in turn led me to watching the show and loving it...)
    Hmm I have lots of second-hand fandoms, mostly because with the convention company I work with I wind up knowing lots of useful crap about shows I have never seen. We've ran 10 Stargate events, and I've done the sites/event programmes/etc all of them, so I know random crap about this show and can actually hold conversations about it and yet never watched an ep!! Same goes for the likes of LOTR, Star Trek and Doctor Who!!! :P

Question: What's the worst pilot (or even first few eps) of a show you've watched, thought OMG THIS AWFUL and then wound up watching and really enjoying the series?
    (for me, I watched the first ep of vampire diaries despised it, now I love it (sorry Bre, I know you hate the Elena!), and I also wasn't a massive fan of the 'new girl' pilot, but omg love it now!!! Also, for anyone who has watched the original Big Bang Theory pilot, it was BALLS! lol)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

Bre (02-05-13)