Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tick Tick Tock - Fanartist Community Hangout

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    I love to manip. I manip for the hell of it a lot of the time, just because I see an image and think 'that would be a good Buffy/Faith/whoever shot, I'm gonna do that'. I love the proud feeling you get when you finish a good manip. And also that moment when someone asks if it's 'real' or not, lol.

Do you still remember the first wallpaper you made? If so, what was it, and did you ever 'remake' it?
    Yes I remember actually, it was a big amount of floating Connor heads, I think I posted it over here once, and I did remake it a couple of times. i remake it every now and then to see where my art is going

what technique are you trying to teach yourself right now?
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post

what technique are you trying to teach yourself right now?
    Text. I'm constantly trying to improve my text usage, I'm never really happy with my text and I'm always trying new things, techniques, fonts, anything to make my text better.

Speaking of text, how do you decide what text to add to your piece? Does the text come first and you fit the wall around that, or do you look for text to fit the piece once you get to that stage?
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

Speaking of text, how do you decide what text to add to your piece? Does the text come first and you fit the wall around that, or do you look for text to fit the piece once you get to that stage?
    Text is always a afterthought in my work, I can't help it. I've no feeling for it, hence my wallpapers often having no text or hidden text. Actually it happens quite often that I'm really happy with a wallpaper but after I added some text I'm no longer happy with it. I wish it would get better, but it doesn't.

What is your favorite font (or fonts in case you can't pick your all-time favorite)? And why is that font so great?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post

What is your favorite font (or fonts in case you can't pick your all-time favorite)? And why is that font so great?
    I absolutely love Burgeus Script (sp?). Jenni Lou introduced me to that font and I fell in LOVE with it! It's this gorgeous cursive script that looks elegant and sexy...I also love Berliner and Cloister Black. I tend to favor script fonts and ones that look like calligraphy.

What is your favorite tool for enhancing lighting? Do you prefer to use masks or layers to change the look of the lighting, or filters?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HisMRS For This Useful Post:

carousel_girl8 (09-05-13),Ehlwyen (09-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HisMRS View Post
    What is your favorite tool for enhancing lighting? Do you prefer to use masks or layers to change the look of the lighting, or filters?
    It sort of depends on the image. Some techniques work better for some pictures than others. I suppose my most used lighting techniques are Curves or Levels. Often times I create a new layer and then use a brush to add some white over a particular area and then set it to Overlay, or Screen, or sometimes just Normal and then turn the opacity down. But truly, lighting is something I don't have a go-to technique for, as there are so many different ways to employ it. The Filter > Render > Lighting Effects can put out some neat results, if you have the patience to fiddle with it. It can be a little tricky in my experience. Image > Shadow/Highlights is another favorite of mine, as well.

IS there a fandom you love and yet you find it difficult to art and you wish that weren't the case? I find this to be especially true of many comedies.

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Lou View Post
    IS there a fandom you love and yet you find it difficult to art and you wish that weren't the case? I find this to be especially true of many comedies.
    "FRIENDS" for sure. I have started many episodic wallpapers for the show and can never finish them cause its so hard to capture the greatness of the scene. :/

What is one fandom you feel is overrated?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

"FRIENDS" for sure. I have started many episodic wallpapers for the show and can never finish them cause its so hard to capture the greatness of the scene. :/

What is one fandom you feel is overrated?
    Lost. I tried so hard to get into it, but it felt the show runners were more interested in toying with the audience and simply name dropping big ideas rather than making storylines line up into something cohesive. I made it through two seasons before accepting the show wasnt for me.

Thanks for the font reccomendations earlier, I havent heard of those before!

And it seems we got off track, lets keep this thread the technical art questions and use the other one for fandom related questions.

Do you prefer song lyrics, scene dialogue, or making up your own text for a wall?

Lydia made the punch!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (18-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    Do you prefer song lyrics, scene dialogue, or making up your own text for a wall?
    In the past I often used lyrics but for some unknown reason I stopped doing it. These days I just write something myself, probably because I hate working with text and the last thing I need are long quotes. So I just write 4 of 5 words (or only one... or just one or two letters.) But from time to time I do borrow a quote.

What kind of stocks (trees, the sky, buildings, fire etc.) are your favorite stocks to work with?
    Last edited by Nina; 15-05-13 at 03:16 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (15-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

What kind of stocks (trees, the sky, buildings, fire etc.) are your favorite stocks to work with?
    I definitely prefer working with building stocks (windows, doorways, hallways, etc). I'm trying to get into something more nature-related but I prefer the structure that comes with the building stocks.

Do you have a certain set of fonts that you use in your text or do you try to get crazy and use a variety? I find I can't stop using Book Antiqua in everything, it's my go-to.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (15-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bre View Post

Do you have a certain set of fonts that you use in your text or do you try to get crazy and use a variety? I find I can't stop using Book Antiqua in everything, it's my go-to.
    Byron and Jellyka Vampire Street are the two fonts I immediately go to if I'm trying to add some 'style' to my text, the text I put behind the 'main' text and blend into the background a little. For the 'proper' text, I always like to make sure it's readable, so I tend to stick to Times New Roman, Georgia or Kolika, though lately I've been using Zachery a lot. I use things like English, Ceremonious One Lace if I want to add something fancy, lol.

Do you prefer using lost of caps when your making scenic art, or would you rather stick with one or two?

I usually start out with about ten different caps from the scene and then fiddle around with them and get down to about five or so.
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

carousel_girl8 (15-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

Do you prefer using lost of caps when your making scenic art, or would you rather stick with one or two?
    Obviously I like to use a lot. The most I've used is probably around 30-40. But I like to do simple ones from time to time too.

What is the average amount of a time you spend on a wallpaper?

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Lou View Post
    What is the average amount of a time you spend on a wallpaper?
    I average probably about 30-45 minutes on a wallpaper. If I am stumped though, with composition or coloring or whatever, I may close it and come back to it a few days later. But most of the time I can visualize what I want in my head, so my wallpapers tend to come together quickly.

What is the longest it's ever taken you to finish a piece?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HisMRS For This Useful Post:

Bre (15-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

What is the longest it's ever taken you to finish a piece?
    My wallscrolls are the ones that take the longest. One time I spent an entire weekend working on a Supernatural wallscroll on my old laptop. I was on the computer literally the entire weekend, I've never spent that much time in one sitting working on a piece. Other pieces can take a long time as well if I close them and come back to them and close them and come back to them. One example is a Buffy/Angel manip I did with a David Boreanaz and Jaime Bergman shoot. I must have worked on that thing for months before finally being okay with posting it.

What is the hardest piece you've ever worked on and why?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bre View Post
    What is the hardest piece you've ever worked on and why?
    I still need to learn to think out a concept before I start. I often go in and just try things out and let the ideas come to me. And if nothing happens I throw it all away and start something new. But when I use a manip I refuse to throw it away even when I'm really stuck. The last time this happened was with the Queen of the Night wallpaper I made for the Stimuli challenge, I had this manip I worked on for more than a hour (yes it wasn't even a really awesome manip, just a quick head-swap) and I couldn't throw it away but I didn't got ideas either. That was a very long week....

Do you start with a clear concept in mind or do you just start and see where you end up?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (17-05-13)

Thanks

Do you start with a clear concept in mind or do you just start and see where you end up?
    I map out a concept before I start because I like to know what I want to say with the piece besides 'pretty' but often times what I have in my head doesn't match to what I actually can do so I usually end up with something vaguely resembling the original concept

do you have a particular technique for manips?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post

do you have a particular technique for manips?
    I don't think I do, most of my time is spend on finding the right pictures. I'm a person who is obsessed with making it look right, so the angles have to be alike and not all that hard to manip. When I finally have my pictures it's just blending (make a rough outline around the face --> put in on the original face of the base ---> pick out a soft round brush --> blending) and trying to get the colors right. When I've this done I try to get the shadows right when this needs to be done.

If you want to add texture to your wallpaper, what kind of texture or stock do you use?
    (I often use the grunch textures by Krakograff, but at the moment I'm obsessed with the old newspaper stock/texture Zugma included in her latest texture pack, it gives that awesome dotted texture.)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (18-05-13)

Thanks

If you want to add texture to your wallpaper, what kind of texture or stock do you use?
    (I often use the grunch textures by Krakograff, but at the moment I'm obsessed with the old newspaper stock/texture Zugma included in her latest texture pack, it gives that awesome dotted texture.)
    Ooh what's the link to see Krakograff's textures?? You always use beautiful textures and I am always looking for good texture sites!

I tend to gravitate more toward light textures. I absolutely love Mongrel Minds for this reason. She also has some great abstract textures, which is my second guilty pleasure.

Do you have one go-to site for textures and/or stock??

Thanks

Ooh what's the link to see Krakograff's textures?? You always use beautiful textures and I am always looking for good texture sites!
    click, there are also brushes.

Do you have one go-to site for textures and/or stock??
    No not really, although most of my stocks come from Stock.xchng. Textures come from all over the web. It also depends on the kind of wallpaper I intend to make. (But most textures I use at the moment are from Tumblr.)

What is your favorite canvas-size to work with?
    Last edited by Nina; 18-05-13 at 11:51 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (19-05-13)

Thanks

click, there are also brushes.

No not really, although most of my stocks come from Stock.xchng. Textures come from all over the web. It also depends on the kind of wallpaper I intend to make. (But most textures I use at the moment are from Tumblr.)

What is your favorite canvas-size to work with?
    Thank you so much!! I can't believe I've never seen this user on DeviantArt before!!

I like to work with 1600x900. That's not the size of my monitor, but I like making them a little bigger so that people with larger monitors can use them too.

What is (in your opinion) the worst wallpaper you've ever made?

Thanks

What is (in your opinion) the worst wallpaper you've ever made?
    So many.. I have so many pieces that are just horrible and they have all been posted here at some point I think my worst would be this one:

it sucks so bad! and worst part is that it isn't even that old it's from last year (I do remember getting reps for it though so apparently someone likes it)

Who is your favorite person to art?
    mine is still SMG she has a wonderful 'manip head' and she is just beautiful plus she is Buffy