Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tick Tick Tock - Fanartist Community Hangout

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,268 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bre View Post

What has changed the most in your art since you started?
    Everything changed. I used to make wallpapers with a texture (preferable one with a lot of grunch and colors) and put a picture with a low opacity above it and write something with strange white letters on it.

I think the way I use textures perhaps changed the most, the last years I tried to stop using textures that everybody uses because I prefer to come up with something where people do not recognize complete textures made by other artists. I had a phase when my wallpapers were nothing but a promopicture and a lot textures by others. This had to change, not because it looked bad but because I wanted to make wallpapers that were my work and not just a mix of work by others.

Since when do you make wallpapers? And after how many months/years did you make something you are still proud of?
    Last edited by Nina; 04-05-13 at 10:33 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Jenni Lou (04-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post

Since when do you make wallpapers? And after how many months/years did you make something you are still proud of?
    I'm pretty sure I started sometime in 2006, but I can't really be certain, it might have been 2007.

There are a few things that I made a year or two ago that I still look at and go 'yep, that worked out'. The first wallpaper I made that took first place in a BF challenge is one, lol. There's also one manip back from 2009 that I'm very proud of, but that's mostly because it was one of the first I ever did, lol.

What's your process for making a wallpaper? Do you start with textures, then work on coloring, or the other way around?
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post

What's your process for making a wallpaper? Do you start with textures, then work on coloring, or the other way around?
    I normally start with a picture or a concept, and then choose textures that fit that concept. Same with coloring, usually... The coloring is usually the last step of my process.

Look at a piece of art you are truly proud of. What is it about that piece that makes your heart swell with pride?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

I always start with the images first. I blend and get them where I think they should be and then I introduce texture. Which usually ends up leading to me moving around the images I've already gotten blended. Coloring and text are the last things I do. Although lately I've been trying to use a little more structure in my pieces and starting with a base (a texture or a stock image) and blending into that. It has had... mixed results.

How many wallpapers have you made to date (would you speculate...)

Darn it, Britt! You beat me!

Quote Originally Posted by HisMRS View Post
    Look at a piece of art you are truly proud of. What is it about that piece that makes your heart swell with pride?
    Oooh, I like this question! This piece: http://www.primordialsouls.com/art/b..._wrathbeth.jpg The coloring. I just love, love, love how the coloring turned out for it. It fits the mood of the piece. Not only is it pretty but it's that green, nauseous feeling which represents the mood of what is happening between these characters in the text I chose from the book.

Same question I already posted above...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

How many wallpapers have you made to date (would you speculate...)
    Umm, considering I have over 1300 on my site and I periodically delete items for it and I have been doing them since 2002? Probably about 2500.

What is your FLAT-OUT favorite fandom to art? Some are so difficult. But sometimes you find one that you not only adore, but where the pictures are stunning and the caps are never grainy!

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Lou View Post
    What is your FLAT-OUT favorite fandom to art? Some are so difficult. But sometimes you find one that you not only adore, but where the pictures are stunning and the caps are never grainy!
    Harry Potter without a doubt, it's such a rich fandom filled with loads of characters and magical items. And the screencaps are fantastic, especially when you art the movies 3-8. Also since it's such a popular fandom there is a lot of material to work with, lots of promopictures, posters, extra scenes, photoshoots etc. My only problem is that I can't find the perfect Harry Potter, I like to re-cast because the casting in the movies isn't all that.... but a Harry Potter I can't find.

What do you prefer? Screencaps or promopictures/photoshoots?

Thanks

What do you prefer? Screencaps or promopictures/photoshoots?
    It depends on what I'm doing... Obviously promo pics are easier to work with, especially for a character piece. But for emotional pieces, I tend to like working with screen caps more.
    I REALLY wish BTVS had better quality screen caps. It would make art from the show a lot easier!

What is your favorite style of texture?

Thanks

What is your favorite style of texture?
    I like things with light/dark elements. I like to focus on a few aspects and then have other things melted into the background. This is often why I use so many textures because I have a certain idea in my head about where it could go and it's rare for me to find the ONE texture that works for what I want. (Although Britt has one texture that slays me, I use it in almost everything - you go, HisMRS!)

What it the most challenging type of wallpaper for you to make: episodic or character? I have a feeling the majority will be one way, but for me it's character. I find it very difficult to do simple character pieces because I find it too simplistic. Which is silly because I love when others do it. Conundrum, brain.

Thanks

I like things with light/dark elements. I like to focus on a few aspects and then have other things melted into the background. This is often why I use so many textures because I have a certain idea in my head about where it could go and it's rare for me to find the ONE texture that works for what I want. (Although Britt has one texture that slays me, I use it in almost everything - you go, HisMRS!)

What it the most challenging type of wallpaper for you to make: episodic or character? I have a feeling the majority will be one way, but for me it's character. I find it very difficult to do simple character pieces because I find it too simplistic. Which is silly because I love when others do it. Conundrum, brain.
    LOL Which one of my textures do you like so much?? And YAY, btw... I always love hearing that people like my textures and want to use them... Some of them are SO ugly to me when I look at them now. LMAO

I think episodic wallpapers are harder, 'cause it can be so hard to truly capture the essence or storyline of the episode with just a couple of caps. I don't tend to like using a whole lot of images in my art, so episodic walls are tricky if I have to use more than 3 images. I always feel like any more than 3 images and it's too busy.

Do you tend to use the same brush for blending, or do you mix it up and use others??

I used to always use the big round brush with the faded edge for blending, but I've found that using other brushes can work even better to help the images flow together, such as cloud brushes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

I think episodic wallpapers are harder, 'cause it can be so hard to truly capture the essence or storyline of the episode with just a couple of caps. I don't tend to like using a whole lot of images in my art, so episodic walls are tricky if I have to use more than 3 images. I always feel like any more than 3 images and it's too busy.
    And here I like to stuff as many as I possibly can (sometimes). I can spend hours arranging caps on a canvas. I really like episodic walls because when you get the right caps everything can fall into place. I like to use a lot of profiles or caps with objects or landscapes and such and just mash 'em all together!! It's fun to me. I definitely think that thins can look busy sometimes, but other times it totally works. Some of my fave walls I have done are onse where have used 20+ caps in it. Sorry for rambling!

Do you tend to use the same brush for blending, or do you mix it up and use others??

I used to always use the big round brush with the faded edge for blending, but I've found that using other brushes can work even better to help the images flow together, such as cloud brushes.
    I mostly use my own set of masking brushes. There is one I am partial to that I use more often than not. I just change the size of it. I like it better than a standard round brush because it erases away the image in a less uniform matter, and that appeals to me.

What are your top 3 resource sites? This includes stock image sites, texture sites, or fellow fanartist sites.

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenni Lou For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (07-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Lou View Post
    What are your top 3 resource sites? This includes stock image sites, texture sites, or fellow fanartist sites.
    Well certainly your site, I go to Daydreaming for pictures, gradients, brushes, fonts, textures and bases for manips. Another all time favorite of mine is of course Stock.xchng because of the huge database full of free HQ stocks. And if I'm allowed to cheat I would list Tumblr as a whole, so many talented people who share their textures and other resources there, but if I'm only to pick one I will go with Sweet Taste of Bitter @ Tumblr because her textures are awesome (a combination between stocks and textures) and she makes often new sets. Also her tutorials are very nice.

Do you watermark/label/sign your wallpapers/textures or not?

Thanks

Well certainly your site, I go to Daydreaming for pictures, gradients, brushes, fonts, textures and bases for manips. Another all time favorite of mine is of course Stock.xchng because of the huge database full of free HQ stocks. And if I'm allowed to cheat I would list Tumblr as a whole, so many talented people who share their textures and other resources there, but if I'm only to pick one I will go with Sweet Taste of Bitter @ Tumblr because her textures are awesome (a combination between stocks and textures) and she makes often new sets. Also her tutorials are very nice.

I hadn't thought of checking Tumblr for resources... Maybe I'll check it out!

I do watermark my art now. I never used to, but after seeing so many of my fellow fanartists' work being ripped off and reposted on other sites, I realized I HAD to start. I have no problem with people sharing my art (as long as they're not claiming it as theirs), but I'd like to have people be able to see my signature and search to come find my actual site.

Do you have a preference to background colors? I know certain artists (myself, Bre) tend to use dark backgrounds 90% of the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Bre if you like what I do with vectors, I can give you some tips. My PSP is a version older than yours but there should still be mostly the same functions. Let me know what, if anything, you know how to do. It is actually quite easy, my only problem is the program is likely to shut down as soon as I use the function so I have to save practically in between every step. So that is disheartening and infuriating.

Yes to wallpapers and many small blends. They are mine, I want people to know that and have to go to some effort to remove it. My grade school art teacher would deduct points fromour grade if we turned in work without our names on it. Plus, I was always inspired by those that could hide or make their name blend seamlessly into the design. So I look forward to putting my tag somewhere that it adds to the design. Preferably in the middle of the piece. Sometimes the spash of color it adds will balance a wall and make the piece seem more dynamic.

I also usually put the month and year. It is nice to know when I did and where I was in my life when I look back at them months/years later. Memories get foggy but the date helps me reorient myself.

I never tagged textures. Those are for others and usually dont have any personal meaning. No sense to make people remove a tag.

Do you enjoy playing with the lighting on people's faces in order to make their bone structure stand out or look more haunting? Or do you typically just use the photo/screencap as it is.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Do you have a preference to background colors? I know certain artists (myself, Bre) tend to use dark backgrounds 90% of the time.
    Not really, it depends on the pictures what color I want to use. I used to make a lot of dark wallpapers because black is easier when you use a lot of 'lighten' but recently I started with other techniques and those could be done on light backgrounds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    Do you enjoy playing with the lighting on people's faces in order to make their bone structure stand out or look more haunting? Or do you typically just use the photo/screencap as it is.
    Only when I use big pictures with big heads, usually I try to keep the lighting and the colors as natural as possible because I think that's prettier. I'm always afraid that I hide the details instead of bringing out the features of a face.

What do you do with pictures that have a lot of noise or grain?

Thanks

What do you do with pictures that have a lot of noise or grain?
    Get really angry? No, I usually use those in a smaller setting, closer to the original size. Also known as using a lot of negative space because the canvas I use is much smaller. I'm not very good at refurbishing photos like that - I get impatient. It's why I've been so pleased to see larger caps coming out for the older shows (i.e. Buffy) as the monitors have gotten bigger and thus the wallpapers have gotten bigger.

What are your thoughts about using negative space?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Get really angry? No, I usually use those in a smaller setting, closer to the original size. Also known as using a lot of negative space because the canvas I use is much smaller. I'm not very good at refurbishing photos like that - I get impatient. It's why I've been so pleased to see larger caps coming out for the older shows (i.e. Buffy) as the monitors have gotten bigger and thus the wallpapers have gotten bigger.

What are your thoughts about using negative space?
    I really love negative space when it is done in a way to accentuate the space. Such as the graphic or text stretches most of the way across either the vertical or horizon. Or if the emptiness is otherwise framed or bordered. I often get disappointed if the wall just feels like a small art pasted into a wallpaper size.

Do you have a favorite color or color combination that you like to use or see in other's art?

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post

Do you have a favorite color or color combination that you like to use or see in other's art?
    I adore seeing pops of bright color in others' artwork. I love, love, love bright colors so when I see someone using it in a beautiful piece of art it makes me happy.

What is the color you use most in your work? Do you have a favorite gradient?

Thanks

What is the color you use most in your work? Do you have a favorite gradient?
    I use Jenni Lou's pastelskies gradients very often, especially the second to last one in that set. It gives the wallpaper more oomph but without changing the colors all that much. Not sure if I've one color that features in most of my pieces, but knowing me it's probably blue or brown/beige since I adore those colors.

Do you like to manip or is it truly one of those things you only do when you can't find the right picture for your idea?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Do you like to manip or is it truly one of those things you only do when you can't find the right picture for your idea?
    I love to manip. I manip for the hell of it a lot of the time, just because I see an image and think 'that would be a good Buffy/Faith/whoever shot, I'm gonna do that'. I love the proud feeling you get when you finish a good manip. And also that moment when someone asks if it's 'real' or not, lol.

Do you still remember the first wallpaper you made? If so, what was it, and did you ever 'remake' it?
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks

I love to manip. I manip for the hell of it a lot of the time, just because I see an image and think 'that would be a good Buffy/Faith/whoever shot, I'm gonna do that'. I love the proud feeling you get when you finish a good manip. And also that moment when someone asks if it's 'real' or not, lol.

Do you still remember the first wallpaper you made? If so, what was it, and did you ever 'remake' it?
    First ever actual "wallpaper":

I went really crazy with the brushes and textures. I was never able to capture that again until much later. I've never remade this and I don't even know how I got this idea. I just remember it was something I made as an actual wallpaper and then I went off into crazy land.

How often do you remake wallpapers and why?