Thread: Tick Tick Tock - Fanartist Community Hangout

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Default Tick Tick Tock - Fanartist Community Hangout

This thread is a resource for fanartists of this community. To post in this thread you must have posted your fanart ten times in either a general fanart thread or a challenge. (If your post count is under 30, then only three fanart posts required.)

The fanartist community has changed over the years in both membership and styles and techniques. What goes on in your head to design, what tools do you use to create? Lets explore the mechanics of art!

This thread will run like a game thread. Answer the question above you and then pose your own question. I will post some possible questions, but feel free to create anything!
    1. What photoediting program do you use or have used?
    2. Name a fanartist who inspires you.
    3. Favorite coloring scheme.
    4. Favorite period of art or style.
    5. Favorite painter/artist. Link to painting(s), wiki, etc.
    6. What music most inspires you.
    7. Preferred wallpaper size.
    8. How do you often begin a wallpaper? Detailed idea or just inspired by photos?
    9. What text(s) do you find yourself using?
    10. An old wallpaper of someone that still inspires you. Describe or link to person's website. No hotlinking.
    11. What keeps you too busy to do more art? School/work/family/other?
    When answering the question, add at least one reason why you chose that answer. Anything personal to you is fine, just share something.

Because discussion is encouraged, a question can be passed 4 times before it must be answered. You can reply to someone's answer without answering their question but your post must end with the person's question and the number of passes left. When the last pass is used, add "NO PASSES LEFT" to the comment. The next poster must answer the question and pose a new question. Of course, that question can be related to the topic that sparked discussion.
    Example:

Spoiler:

Q. What is your preferred wallpaper size?

Poster One:
    A. 1280x800. Although I am preferring portrait oriented arted rather than landscape these days.
    Q. What technique to do you wish you could do?

Poster Two:
    Oh yeah! Me too! Maybe I am just spending too much on tumblr, but something about the vertical aspect seems refreshing.

Poster Three:
    I agree, it might just be that I am tired of doing horizontal walls, the vertical aspect automatically helps me form a new composition.

Poster Four:
    LOL! I felt that way last year, but I think I am already bored of the vertical format. The wide landscape in a wallpaper seems so majestic.

Poster Five:
    Comment: Poster Three, I totally agree about how easily the composition changes between the both. I like being able to switch between the different orientations depending on the subject.

Poster Six:
    A. My text always seems so lacking. Anyone have a good tutorial or tips to help me?

I get so disappointed with the vertical orientation, it just never looks good on my small laptop screen. I will see an awesome art but then I have to choose between seeing all of it or seeing it at the proper quality
    Q. What is your favorite screencap resource?

Bolding the question is good. However, it isn't required since that can be trouble from a phone or tablet.
    Dont pass a question because you wanted to answer a previous question. Pass if you are commenting to someone's answer.

Bolding the question is good. However, it isn't required since that can be trouble from a phone or tablet.

Q. Which do you prefer, stocks or premade textures?

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    Q. Which do you prefer, stocks or premade textures?
    A. Great question! For me it depends on what I'm making, I love using stocks as part of the piece, in the same why as a character image. For me it needs to add to the focus of the piece rather than the texture of it.. for adding mood and texture to the piece, you can't get any better than some of the premade textures there are available!

After a break from art I need some help getting started again..so my question is:

How do you often begin a wallpaper? Detailed idea or just inspired by photos or scenes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    A. Great question! For me it depends on what I'm making, I love using stocks as part of the piece, in the same why as a character image. For me it needs to add to the focus of the piece rather than the texture of it.. for adding mood and texture to the piece, you can't get any better than some of the premade textures there are available!
    Heh. A few years ago, I couldn't imagine making a piece without a premade texture. But now it's the opposite: I sometimes download a texture but end up not knowing how to use it in my wallpaper, or not liking how it looks and removing it...

After a break from art I need some help getting started again..so my question is:

How do you often begin a wallpaper? Detailed idea or just inspired by photos or scenes?
    A. For me there are two kinds of inspiration: 1) when I have a concept and want to picture it, or 2) when I have a feeling that I can't really sort out but want to, because it's nagging at me. %)

In the first case I'm usually basing my idea on some quote that struck me, a comparison, or meaningful imagery that I noticed. In the second case, I seldom know what I'm going to make exactly. Say, I just watched a great episode and all the emotions are swirling in my head - but I don't even know which to focus on or what those emotions are. %)) Lol. So I sit down, open PS, and look through caps and try to throw together some composition. And in the process of doing that, I get my feelings more or less sorted and figure out what excites me the most, and come up with some kind of concept (or not... ahem), and make the wallpaper. I think people who know how to write, write emotional reviews the same way. But I can't write for the life of me, so I use Photoshop instead.

Q. Rec me some good photoshop fanartists (that are not BF/AFA members)? Any styles, any sites would be great.
    [ ...In my exile. ]
    LJ; Tumblr; Wallpapers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zugma For This Useful Post:

Nikki (01-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zugma View Post

Q. Rec me some good photoshop fanartists (that are not BF/AFA members)? Any styles, any sites would be great.
    I absolutely ADORE Blakeravell. Not only her Digital Paintings, but her Wallpapers as well. Her style is flawless and her technique is something I greatly admire. I just love her use of textures and stocks.

How do you decide on your text usage for a wallpaper? Where do you place it? Fonts? The text itself? Coloring?
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

carousel_girl8 (01-05-13),Nikki (01-05-13),Zugma (01-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    How do you decide on your text usage for a wallpaper? Where do you place it? Fonts? The text itself? Coloring?
    I LOVE text! Almost too much perhaps but I find that text should be something is more blended in with the background, something that the eye isn't necessarily drawn to when you first look at the wallpaper. Almost like a texture as opposed to just being there. I think text is incredibly important to a wall because it helps explain or it helps carry what you are trying to get across in the wallpaper.

When I choose placement, it depends on what the wallpaper is about but most of the time I put it in a place where it's not the focal thing (unless it's my intention for it to be focal) - somewhere away from the main images or barely near the main images. I like to blend the text into the background as much as possible and layer the absolute crap out of it - especially when there is so much to say! I don't like the wallpapers that have a ton of text because you want the entire song or the entire scene's dialogue included. It's overpowering and it detracts.

The same goes with overly bright text or text that jumps out at you. When I was first starting, Nikki gave me awesome advice about using bright/white text: It's awful. Don't do it. But it's true! So the coloring comes from the wall itself, usually a more subdued color, or I use the actual wallpaper as the image filler for the text, especially when I'm blending that into the background. With the layering of text (I learned this from Wendy), I put all the text on different layers and blend modes and colors, etc and then have just one line that pops out (but again, not too much because I prefer people to look at the imagery instead of reading too much ).

How long does it take you to typically complete a wallpaper? Does it depend on your mood or the subject you've chosen?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

Nikki (01-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bre View Post
    How long does it take you to typically complete a wallpaper? Does it depend on your mood or the subject you've chosen?
    I takes me around a day to finish. I truly envy those artists who can walk away form a piece that is not finished and just go do something else for a while. I just cannot do that! when I sit behind PS either I make something and usually post it here right away too or I end up with hours of sitting behind the PS throwing stuff away

And it doesn't depend on my mood but sometimes it does depend on the subject matter dark depressing walls are easier for me then light hearted fun stuff

As I am figuring out lighting is important (took me all of what six years?) my question is how important is lighting in your art? And how do you go about achieving the lighting you want?
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    What's your process for making a wallpaper? Do you start with textures, then work on coloring, or the other way around?
    I always start with the images first. I blend and get them where I think they should be and then I introduce texture. Which usually ends up leading to me moving around the images I've already gotten blended. Coloring and text are the last things I do. Although lately I've been trying to use a little more structure in my pieces and starting with a base (a texture or a stock image) and blending into that. It has had... mixed results.

How many wallpapers have you made to date (would you speculate...)

Darn it, Britt! You beat me!

Quote Originally Posted by HisMRS View Post
    Look at a piece of art you are truly proud of. What is it about that piece that makes your heart swell with pride?
    Oooh, I like this question! This piece: http://www.primordialsouls.com/art/b..._wrathbeth.jpg The coloring. I just love, love, love how the coloring turned out for it. It fits the mood of the piece. Not only is it pretty but it's that green, nauseous feeling which represents the mood of what is happening between these characters in the text I chose from the book.

Same question I already posted above...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bre View Post
    How many wallpapers have you made to date (would you speculate...)
    Umm, considering I have over 1300 on my site and I periodically delete items for it and I have been doing them since 2002? Probably about 2500.

What is your FLAT-OUT favorite fandom to art? Some are so difficult. But sometimes you find one that you not only adore, but where the pictures are stunning and the caps are never grainy!

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,268 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Lou View Post
    What is your FLAT-OUT favorite fandom to art? Some are so difficult. But sometimes you find one that you not only adore, but where the pictures are stunning and the caps are never grainy!
    Harry Potter without a doubt, it's such a rich fandom filled with loads of characters and magical items. And the screencaps are fantastic, especially when you art the movies 3-8. Also since it's such a popular fandom there is a lot of material to work with, lots of promopictures, posters, extra scenes, photoshoots etc. My only problem is that I can't find the perfect Harry Potter, I like to re-cast because the casting in the movies isn't all that.... but a Harry Potter I can't find.

What do you prefer? Screencaps or promopictures/photoshoots?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post

What do you prefer? Screencaps or promopictures/photoshoots?
    It depends on what I'm doing... Obviously promo pics are easier to work with, especially for a character piece. But for emotional pieces, I tend to like working with screen caps more.
    I REALLY wish BTVS had better quality screen caps. It would make art from the show a lot easier!

What is your favorite style of texture?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HisMRS View Post
    What is your favorite style of texture?
    I like things with light/dark elements. I like to focus on a few aspects and then have other things melted into the background. This is often why I use so many textures because I have a certain idea in my head about where it could go and it's rare for me to find the ONE texture that works for what I want. (Although Britt has one texture that slays me, I use it in almost everything - you go, HisMRS!)

What it the most challenging type of wallpaper for you to make: episodic or character? I have a feeling the majority will be one way, but for me it's character. I find it very difficult to do simple character pieces because I find it too simplistic. Which is silly because I love when others do it. Conundrum, brain.