Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tick Tick Tock - Fanartist Community Hangout

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 724 Posts

Default Tick Tick Tock - Fanartist Community Hangout

This thread is a resource for fanartists of this community. To post in this thread you must have posted your fanart ten times in either a general fanart thread or a challenge. (If your post count is under 30, then only three fanart posts required.)

The fanartist community has changed over the years in both membership and styles and techniques. What goes on in your head to design, what tools do you use to create? Lets explore the mechanics of art!

This thread will run like a game thread. Answer the question above you and then pose your own question. I will post some possible questions, but feel free to create anything!
    1. What photoediting program do you use or have used?
    2. Name a fanartist who inspires you.
    3. Favorite coloring scheme.
    4. Favorite period of art or style.
    5. Favorite painter/artist. Link to painting(s), wiki, etc.
    6. What music most inspires you.
    7. Preferred wallpaper size.
    8. How do you often begin a wallpaper? Detailed idea or just inspired by photos?
    9. What text(s) do you find yourself using?
    10. An old wallpaper of someone that still inspires you. Describe or link to person's website. No hotlinking.
    11. What keeps you too busy to do more art? School/work/family/other?
    When answering the question, add at least one reason why you chose that answer. Anything personal to you is fine, just share something.

Because discussion is encouraged, a question can be passed 4 times before it must be answered. You can reply to someone's answer without answering their question but your post must end with the person's question and the number of passes left. When the last pass is used, add "NO PASSES LEFT" to the comment. The next poster must answer the question and pose a new question. Of course, that question can be related to the topic that sparked discussion.
    Example:

Spoiler:

Q. What is your preferred wallpaper size?

Poster One:
    A. 1280x800. Although I am preferring portrait oriented arted rather than landscape these days.
    Q. What technique to do you wish you could do?

Poster Two:
    Oh yeah! Me too! Maybe I am just spending too much on tumblr, but something about the vertical aspect seems refreshing.

Poster Three:
    I agree, it might just be that I am tired of doing horizontal walls, the vertical aspect automatically helps me form a new composition.

Poster Four:
    LOL! I felt that way last year, but I think I am already bored of the vertical format. The wide landscape in a wallpaper seems so majestic.

Poster Five:
    Comment: Poster Three, I totally agree about how easily the composition changes between the both. I like being able to switch between the different orientations depending on the subject.

Poster Six:
    A. My text always seems so lacking. Anyone have a good tutorial or tips to help me?

I get so disappointed with the vertical orientation, it just never looks good on my small laptop screen. I will see an awesome art but then I have to choose between seeing all of it or seeing it at the proper quality
    Q. What is your favorite screencap resource?

Bolding the question is good. However, it isn't required since that can be trouble from a phone or tablet.
    Dont pass a question because you wanted to answer a previous question. Pass if you are commenting to someone's answer.

Bolding the question is good. However, it isn't required since that can be trouble from a phone or tablet.

Q. Which do you prefer, stocks or premade textures?

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    Q. Which do you prefer, stocks or premade textures?
    A. Great question! For me it depends on what I'm making, I love using stocks as part of the piece, in the same why as a character image. For me it needs to add to the focus of the piece rather than the texture of it.. for adding mood and texture to the piece, you can't get any better than some of the premade textures there are available!

After a break from art I need some help getting started again..so my question is:

How do you often begin a wallpaper? Detailed idea or just inspired by photos or scenes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    A. Great question! For me it depends on what I'm making, I love using stocks as part of the piece, in the same why as a character image. For me it needs to add to the focus of the piece rather than the texture of it.. for adding mood and texture to the piece, you can't get any better than some of the premade textures there are available!
    Heh. A few years ago, I couldn't imagine making a piece without a premade texture. But now it's the opposite: I sometimes download a texture but end up not knowing how to use it in my wallpaper, or not liking how it looks and removing it...

After a break from art I need some help getting started again..so my question is:

How do you often begin a wallpaper? Detailed idea or just inspired by photos or scenes?
    A. For me there are two kinds of inspiration: 1) when I have a concept and want to picture it, or 2) when I have a feeling that I can't really sort out but want to, because it's nagging at me. %)

In the first case I'm usually basing my idea on some quote that struck me, a comparison, or meaningful imagery that I noticed. In the second case, I seldom know what I'm going to make exactly. Say, I just watched a great episode and all the emotions are swirling in my head - but I don't even know which to focus on or what those emotions are. %)) Lol. So I sit down, open PS, and look through caps and try to throw together some composition. And in the process of doing that, I get my feelings more or less sorted and figure out what excites me the most, and come up with some kind of concept (or not... ahem), and make the wallpaper. I think people who know how to write, write emotional reviews the same way. But I can't write for the life of me, so I use Photoshop instead.

Q. Rec me some good photoshop fanartists (that are not BF/AFA members)? Any styles, any sites would be great.
    [ ...In my exile. ]
    LJ; Tumblr; Wallpapers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zugma For This Useful Post:

Nikki (01-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zugma View Post

Q. Rec me some good photoshop fanartists (that are not BF/AFA members)? Any styles, any sites would be great.
    I absolutely ADORE Blakeravell. Not only her Digital Paintings, but her Wallpapers as well. Her style is flawless and her technique is something I greatly admire. I just love her use of textures and stocks.

How do you decide on your text usage for a wallpaper? Where do you place it? Fonts? The text itself? Coloring?
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

carousel_girl8 (01-05-13),Nikki (01-05-13),Zugma (01-05-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    How do you decide on your text usage for a wallpaper? Where do you place it? Fonts? The text itself? Coloring?
    I LOVE text! Almost too much perhaps but I find that text should be something is more blended in with the background, something that the eye isn't necessarily drawn to when you first look at the wallpaper. Almost like a texture as opposed to just being there. I think text is incredibly important to a wall because it helps explain or it helps carry what you are trying to get across in the wallpaper.

When I choose placement, it depends on what the wallpaper is about but most of the time I put it in a place where it's not the focal thing (unless it's my intention for it to be focal) - somewhere away from the main images or barely near the main images. I like to blend the text into the background as much as possible and layer the absolute crap out of it - especially when there is so much to say! I don't like the wallpapers that have a ton of text because you want the entire song or the entire scene's dialogue included. It's overpowering and it detracts.

The same goes with overly bright text or text that jumps out at you. When I was first starting, Nikki gave me awesome advice about using bright/white text: It's awful. Don't do it. But it's true! So the coloring comes from the wall itself, usually a more subdued color, or I use the actual wallpaper as the image filler for the text, especially when I'm blending that into the background. With the layering of text (I learned this from Wendy), I put all the text on different layers and blend modes and colors, etc and then have just one line that pops out (but again, not too much because I prefer people to look at the imagery instead of reading too much ).

How long does it take you to typically complete a wallpaper? Does it depend on your mood or the subject you've chosen?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

Nikki (01-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bre View Post
    How long does it take you to typically complete a wallpaper? Does it depend on your mood or the subject you've chosen?
    I takes me around a day to finish. I truly envy those artists who can walk away form a piece that is not finished and just go do something else for a while. I just cannot do that! when I sit behind PS either I make something and usually post it here right away too or I end up with hours of sitting behind the PS throwing stuff away

And it doesn't depend on my mood but sometimes it does depend on the subject matter dark depressing walls are easier for me then light hearted fun stuff

As I am figuring out lighting is important (took me all of what six years?) my question is how important is lighting in your art? And how do you go about achieving the lighting you want?
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks

I absolutely ADORE Blakeravell. Not only her Digital Paintings, but her Wallpapers as well. Her style is flawless and her technique is something I greatly admire. I just love her use of textures and stocks.
    Thank you! But this is funny, because me and Blakravell are friends and read each other on our Russian blogs. I wasn't aware many people in English speaking fandom knew her - it's good to hear, because I agree that she's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    As I am figuring out lighting is important (took me all of what six years?) my question is how important is lighting in your art? And how do you go about achieving the lighting you want?
    It took me longer, I think. I'm only just figuring it out myself.

I think it depends of the style of the piece. If it's very realistic (say, a manip), the lighting is crucially important because when it's off, the piece just won't work.

Then the more stylized the art is, the more abstract/stylized gets the light too. It may even serve only conceptual/symbolical purpose.

I suppose in my art the use of lighting is somewhere between these two extremes. but I really wish to learn to use it both more artistically and with more meaning. Normally what I (try to) do these days is to draw the lighting by hand, using tablet. To "insert" the object or character into the piece more naturally. Something like this:
    Spoiler:

But this is pretty much my best result so far, to be honest.

Oh, almost forgot the question:

What's your latest favorite technique or stylistic detail (that you have achieved or just want to achieve)?
    Last edited by Zugma; 01-05-13 at 09:02 PM.
    [ ...In my exile. ]
    LJ; Tumblr; Wallpapers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zugma For This Useful Post:

Mara (02-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zugma View Post
    What's your latest favorite technique or stylistic detail (that you have achieved or just want to achieve)?
    Blending for me. I love and adore blending and I've definitely had my ups and my downs with it in some respects. Or I disrespect the blending and get too hasty and crazy and leave a mess behind. And don't notice it until much later. Or just move too quickly. But I do love trying to get in as many images as I can on some wallpapers until you look everywhere and still find an image without it being overpowering - always something to look at, in a sense, especially with episodic walls because there's usually so much to tell and I am not good with simplicity. So of course complicating everything is the answer.

What fanartist have you drawn the most inspiration from and what was it that caught your eye and how did it affect your art? (Whether it be how they choose images, episodic v. character, composition, technique, text-usage, etc.)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

Zugma (01-05-13)

Thanks

What fanartist have you drawn the most inspiration from and what was it that caught your eye and how did it affect your art? (Whether it be how they choose images, episodic v. character, composition, technique, text-usage, etc.)
    Sorry, honey, but I'm probably gonna really embarrass you here, lol.

Bre.

It's ALWAYS been Bre, at least since I REALLY got to know other artists in this fandom and their work. Her art is just amazing quality, she's so good at seeing scenes for what they could be and not what they are. Her blending is without fault and her coloring, my god. I love her crossover art, how she can take two scenes from two completely different shows and make everyone believe it's the same scene. I mean, come on, have you seen her Buffy/Dean work? LOL. I love finding out that she's arted the same scene that I'm in the process of mapping out in my head and thinking 'Okay, so how can I make mine different?' It's why I loved out Buffy/Dean battle that we did a while ago SO much. It was the same 'scenes', but different. I love battling her so, so much. She makes me want to push myself and be better.

Have I thoroughly embarrassed her? Can I stop now?

What made you get into fanart in the first place?
    Last edited by Lyri; 02-05-13 at 12:29 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Bre (02-05-13),HisMRS (02-05-13),Nikki (02-05-13)

Thanks

I don't have words. I have a lot of emotions. You gave me a lot of emotions and I'm just... That was the best battle I have ever been a part of - it was so much fun comparing scenes in our heads and seeing how each of us executed it (I legit feel like you won that battle). Best. Battle. And HELLLOOOO... it clearly launched me completely into the B/D fandom. But if there was ever another battle on the horizon, I would use the same concept (is that a hint? No...). I love you.

What made you get into fanart in the first place?
    Fanfiction. My fanfiction. I've been writing for what feels like forever (actually like 13 years) but I wanted to get some banners for my work and so I started making my own... and then I started making manips... and then I started making nonsensical sized crap... and then wallpapers... and here I am today.

Do you use coloring just because it makes it look pretty or do you try to incorporate a color that has a deeper meaning (like emotions)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

Do you use coloring just because it makes it look pretty or do you try to incorporate a color that has a deeper meaning (like emotions)?
    I usually choose my coloring because it looks good, but sometimes if I'm trying to evoke a certain feeling from a piece, I'll choose colors that reflect that emotion (blue for loneliness, red for lust or passion, etc.). I take a LONG time trying to get the coloring right for a lot of my work. I am so indecisive! LOL

What is your favorite trick that you use in your work?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HisMRS View Post
    What is your favorite trick that you use in your work?
    I often use a treshold layer on softlight when I'm almost done, sometimes it makes no difference but in other wallpapers it does wonders for the lightning. I always try to create a focus point with a black & white layer on softlight anyway.

What is your favorite way of blending pictures?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I often use a treshold layer on softlight when I'm almost done, sometimes it makes no difference but in other wallpapers it does wonders for the lightning. I always try to create a focus point with a black & white layer on softlight anyway.
    I use that trick as well, it does bring the lighting into a focus, just darkening where it needs to be darkened, adds a nice glow too

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    What is your favorite way of blending pictures?
    I depends on the pictures I'm blending, like if I want to keep a light background from one picture (say the person is surrounded by a nice sky that I want to keep as part of the piece) I would layer the other picture over it and screen or overlay a few times, brushing away the unwanted bits if it's a lighter background. If itís just two pictures that are on a darker base I do just use a soft brush to take away the edges of the picture Iím blending into another.. then I work on getting lighting, sharpness etc the same for both pictures so they look like they fit together in one image. I find blending is one of those things that sometimes for me works perfectly with almost no struggle and other times I just canít get anything to blend well together no matter how much I try

What is the best way youíve found to use lighting to draw focus to a particular part of your piece?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post

What is the best way youíve found to use lighting to draw focus to a particular part of your piece?

I use the Dodge and Burn tools a LOT, and then the Diffuse Glow filter to draw focus to certain areas. I have tried the method Nina mentioned up there, though, too but I'm not too good at that method yet. LOL

What is one technique you have yet to master?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HisMRS View Post
    What is one technique you have yet to master?
    Vector art. I can't wrap my mind around it. I've tried it before and perhaps it's because I just don't have the patience for it. Another thing that doesn't help is I don't use Photoshop, I used Paint Shop Pro and most of the tutorials in the world are for Photoshop!

What is your favorite kind of music to listen to while making art?

Thanks

Vector art. I can't wrap my mind around it. I've tried it before and perhaps it's because I just don't have the patience for it. Another thing that doesn't help is I don't use Photoshop, I used Paint Shop Pro and most of the tutorials in the world are for Photoshop!

What is your favorite kind of music to listen to while making art?
    I use photoshop and I STILL can't master vectors! LOL. I gave it a go a long time ago now and never tried again, who knows maybe now....... nah!!

I listen to lots of random stuff while arting, BUT if I am 'in the zone' for a piece and trying to find inspiration, I will tend to listen to songs in that sort of theme or feel to keep me going as opposed to anything else, otherwise I may get distracted and start adding light fluffy stuff to a deep dark piece!

Favourite though.... stuff like Three Days Grace, Nickelback, Linkin Park... probably all the stuff that winds up with lyrics in my pieces!!! :P

Question: when looking to remake an old wallpaper do you look at it and try to recreate the same concept/idea but put your current 'spin' on it, or, do you prefer not to look at it and then do the piece and go back and see how it compares?
    I've done quite a few remakes over the years and have done both of the above, with various outcomes, I'm just curious how others go about it!

Art by Sayjay at Radiance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slaycandy View Post

Question: when looking to remake an old wallpaper do you look at it and try to recreate the same concept/idea but put your current 'spin' on it, or, do you prefer not to look at it and then do the piece and go back and see how it compares?
    I've been in the middle of remaking a lot of my wallpapers for a while now (in fact, it's been so long that I want to remake some of the remakes, lol) but I always have the original open at the same time, so that I can see what I didn't like about that one and how different I want to make the new one. Usually, in my original, I find everything so texture heavy or too dark to fit the scene, so I like having the old one there to remind myself to hold back on certain things or remember the Curves, lmao.

When you're making a wall - depending on if you're going for a light or dark theme - do you stick with the basic black or white background and work off of that, or do you choose another color?

Thanks

VECTORS ARE EVIL! Alright, they're not evil but they are just... they're like the photoshop unicorn to me.

When you're making a wall - depending on if you're going for a light or dark theme - do you stick with the basic black or white background and work off of that, or do you choose another color?
    I always start with black. Every single time. I don't know if it's from my years using really crappy quality and small caps but I find blending into a black background before doing anything else helps me focus what I want and then I add texture and maybe change the background color. I guess it's not a mystery how I always have a lot of black negative space... One thing that really challenged me in my battle with SJ was her requirement to use a light background -

What is your guilty pleasure in photoshop? Something that HAS to be in your wall just because you love it so much... and why can't you not use it?

Thanks

VECTORS ARE EVIL! Alright, they're not evil but they are just... they're like the photoshop unicorn to me.

I always start with black. Every single time. I don't know if it's from my years using really crappy quality and small caps but I find blending into a black background before doing anything else helps me focus what I want and then I add texture and maybe change the background color. I guess it's not a mystery how I always have a lot of black negative space... One thing that really challenged me in my battle with SJ was her requirement to use a light background -

What is your guilty pleasure in photoshop? Something that HAS to be in your wall just because you love it so much... and why can't you not use it?
    Textures, more specifically Britt's textures I can not go without them because they often set the mood of the piece i am working on and they are just so pretty

Bre about learning how to vector try this tut: http://www.melissaevans.com/tutorial...with-photoshop That's how I learned although I still suck at it but at least I got the basics down

Question: what technique do you pride yourself on? what is the thing you think you do rather well and why?
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

Firecracker (03-05-13)

Thanks

But see, that's a tutorial for Photoshop and I don't have that. I think someone shared the program with me but I never took it I can follow along for the most part with those tutorials but then they throw in something that I either can't find in Paint Shop Pro or don't have any idea how it works. It usually turns into some weird negative image or I make it into something else other than what is supposed to be the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Question: what technique do you pride yourself on? what is the thing you think you do rather well and why?
    Blending. I love my blending. I love when people see images that they didn't see the first time they looked at the wallpaper. I love putting everything into a wallpaper and seeing what happens. Sometimes it backfires and makes it look like a clusterf**k wall but that's okay. I think it's a reflection of the way I think, I really think way too much about 90% of the time, and I like conveying as much as possible. I don't understand simplicity (although I do think it's better in some cases) because there's so much more to tell on top of whatever is being portrayed. I try to capture as much as I can because I feel like everything deserves a few minutes of wallpaper fame. Even the simple walls I've tried to do, I end up blending about thirteen more images behind the simple image because I just can't NOT do it.

What has changed the most in your art since you started?