Thread: Buffy 9.19 "Welcome to the Team, Part IV" SPOILER Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,916 Times in 1,848 Posts

Default Buffy 9.19 "Welcome to the Team, Part IV" SPOILER Discussion Thread

Well, going off of the advanced review, I'm already of mixed feelings. We'll have to see about the execution.

Inserting only this first post in spoilers for courtesy, but this is a spoiler thread, even though the book isn't out until tomorrow.

Spoiler:
    I don't mind the idea that Xander has taken a set against Buffy, but I'm very wary of how this will be framed. There are contexts in which I can see him faulting her for a lot and being okay with it, and contexts where it will piss me off.

For starters, I'm really tired of characters -- and by implications the writers -- not realizing that Buffy is not at fault for much if any of the fact that they got no magic right now, and in turn the threat to Dawn. If Xander wants justice for Dawn's situation, or revenge, or whatever, he needs to be in London asking Nadira if he can watch, so to speak. Or right along killing Whistler.

Or, conversely, joining the Whistler crazy train if it means Dawn could be saved by his BS. Not a morally good plan, but rationally understandable.

But Buffy was set up at every point of Season 8. Her moral excesses were intentionally flagged on and manipulated by Team Twilight, the spacefrak something she had no idea would have material supernatural consequences, and breaking the Seed necessary to save everyone that might have otherwise died.

If this is it for Dawn, she died the second the Twilight dimension opened up, not when Buffy closed it down. All that changed was the timetable.

Since we have covers indicating Xander and Buffy still on the same team here, I'm not worried too much that Xander is going to be Mwuhahahaing out of the group here, but I just hope that if their friendship is breaking or straining, it's not for entirely asinine reasons. The idea that the world gets worse every time Buffy saves it has interesting implications that play on a lot of levels -- one being the standard superhero "attractive nuisance" problem raised in many comics. Another being the meta level discussed by Buffy's hallucination shrink in "Normal Again", storytelling compels continually escalating crises. But it's all especially poignant when the man whose niche -- explicitly lampshaded more than once -- has been to (pace Corbin Dallas) to save her ass so she can save the world. What's it all been worth?

There is interesting material to probe here, is what I'm saying, I just don't want Xander to HURP DURP YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BROKEN THE SEED, because... well, hurp durp to that.

Banner by LRae12

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

ami (12-03-13),ubi4soft (12-03-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,410 Times in 5,562 Posts

I'm thrown by the stupidity that it seems Simone wants to become a super strong vampire that Buffy can't kill. For a start at the moment she could only achieve super strong feral uber!zomp. Currently she is a human who wields a gun so she already has the advantage over Buffy because she is happy and willing to kill Buffy whereas Buffy, because Simone is human, would surely pause. What the heck is the evil plan here? It just seems thick. Must be more to it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,916 Times in 1,848 Posts

Please use other thread, ubi posted it before I did.

Banner by LRae12

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Stoney (12-03-13)