Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Americans ☭

Thanks
    Thanked 3,911 Times in 1,782 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    I have not watched this series at all, just recaps and reaction channels, but I gotta say the train platform bit was very emotionally effective, and big respect for that character choice, as conflicted as it must have been.
    Why would you that instead of watching a show?
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,635 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Why would you that instead of watching a show?
    Recaps, idle curiousity and no fear of spoilers; reactions because I already watch that reactor in general.

It was very well done, it isn't a small thing for a show I genuinely don't watch to make me cry watching a scene from it with relatively little context. I blame Bono.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Recaps, idle curiousity and no fear of spoilers; reactions because I already watch that reactor in general.

It was very well done, it isn't a small thing for a show I genuinely don't watch to make me cry watching a scene from it with relatively little context. I blame Bono.
    Is the reactor Sesskasays? I don't know any other reactors doing The Americans.

I only watch reactions to shows I watch and episodes I've seen.

That scene was really incredibly well done. The show always uses songs in a very effective manner, never more so than in that scene.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,635 Posts

Yeah, I got watching her for GoT and TWD and marvel-netflix, she is one of best. I have also caught on watching After Show Reacts for the laundry list of shows she is watching that I have seen, she just did end of Buffy S4 and Angel S1, it was nice to watch "To Shanshu in LA" through someone else's eyes, forgot how good that was.

Keri Russell is very impressive and hope she is in something I would watch closely next.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

I was a little disappointed in the finale tbh. There just seemed like lots of wasted time, and not just for the finale episode but for the season as a whole which is why I think I was more disappointed than I was hoping. Especially considering how the penultimate episode ended with Phillip sprinting and giving the code to get out of dodge, which was awesome.
    Spoiler:
    I guess I'm still irritated by the time jump and the abruptness of where the characters were at now at the beginning of this season. At the end of last season they were going to pick up and take off to be a family, and then this season they're all separated. You'd think in this finale Phillip and Elizabeth would have had a better plan for when they left the country considering they were planning on leaving last season. And they're travel agents after all. They could've gone literally anywhere else besides Russia if they were so unsure of going back. Especially knowing what Elizabeth knows, and the fact that she pissed off Claudia and the KGB. Why would Elizabeth think she'd be safe there? Then there's the Oleg stuff and that being basically unresolved, and the weird Renee stuff which, I'm sorry, after Phillip told Stan that she may be KGB (I was cackling at that btw, I have to be honest) we all know damn well Stan would not have just gone home and been peachy keen with her. His paranoia would have been through the roof. Then to think of the random stuff we've seen this season not really being resolved either. I mean you had Misha try to find Philip and then nothing after that. Then there was Martha just left to hang in Russia with no real resolution. Did she end up with the orphaned child or no? They made Paige a wanna be spy and then for that to literally go nowhere. What was the purpose? Henry, despite being a running joke throughout the last couple of seasons, was given no resolution. Like, really? During a quick montage they cut to Stan interrupting his hockey practice and then seemingly telling him that his parents are gone, spies, whatever he's being told in that moment. They literally circled the drain regarding Henry and what to do with him for a good half hour at least of the finale, and he doesn't even get any real resolution and is literally reduced to a small, silent montage clip in the final moments of the series. Really?

I just think off all of the wasted episodes this season that basically went nowhere and it's irritating me. How much time did we spend watching Elizabeth try to draw a fricken vase with the dying woman? To what end? Yes the paintings the woman drew were somber and bleak and that's likely what they were trying to reinforce with Elizabeth looking at them longingly here and there, as if we're to believe she's making realizations about her life and her choices. And yet, where was the payoff with that? We didn't really see any real change in Elizabeth. She figured out the KGB wasn't what she thought but that didn't come from the paintings, that came from being screwed over by Claudia and Elizabeth getting the riot act from Phillip about choices. Then they made it a point to show that the dying woman had been drawing her when she slept. That easily could have come into play. The cops find the ridiculously large painting Elizabeth took, trace it back to the dead lady, and then find out that, oh, this dying woman has this drawing that looks awfully like Elizabeth. I mean really. Don't leave breadcrumbs throughout your season when you're not using any of them. Stan literally figured out the spies were Elizabeth and Phillip over a comment of "an American couple with a few kids" and a woman with nice hair who smokes. Way to narrow down your options there Stan. Like Stan's realization was laughably bad and ridiculous. They could have done a better job at leading up to him figuring it out with actual clues. Not nonsense. This comment was more rant-y than I was intending but I guess I have pent up irritation about this.
    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,635 Posts

I am only just watched episode 6 and it's really cranking up now. This season has been amazing and I have avoided all spoilers about the finale, but I think Elizabeth is going to go completely off the rails, as she's been on the edge all season. It's been fun watching Stan putting everything together and finally having suspicions and no-one believing him.
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,098 Posts

I think the finale was very, very good, although not the ending I would have chosen personally. For all these years, I have been hoping for an ending in which
    Spoiler:
    the Jennings would pay/be held responsible for all the lives they took and destroyed. I would have been satisfied with them dying or being arrested and sent to jail. I don't hate them, I understand that they were indoctrinated since they were very young to do a job and they did horrible things because they thought they were serving a good cause, but still some of the things they did (Elizabeth especially) were unforgivable, and I needed to see them punished. Having to go back to Russia without their children is too much of a happy-ish ending for me. In the regard, the finale left me a little unsatisfied and with mixed feeling.

However, the writers had other ideas, and they exceuted them almost flawlessly. I liked that the episode focused on the characters more than the action, because at the end the show was always about these people, rather than the spy angle.The scene in the garage with Stan is a masterpiece, and so is the train scene.

I would have liked to get a last glimpse of Martha to see how she was doing, but the writers weren't interested.

Not happy with what happened to Oleg, but I choose to believe that things will improve greatly for him once the Soviet Union collapses. Speaking of which, since the beginning I was hoping to see the Jenning's reaction to the fall of the USSR and the end of communism, but it wasn't to be. I can use my immagination.

The last couple of seasons of the show had a few missteps, imo... but I'm glad the show was wrapped up in a mostly satisfying way.
    Last edited by Francy; 02-06-18 at 12:06 PM.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Francy View Post
    Not happy with what happened to Oleg, but I choose to believe that things will improve greatly for him once the Soviet Union collapses. Speaking of which, since the beginning I was hoping to see the Jenning's reaction to the fall of the USSR and the end of communism, but it wasn't to be.
    I agree that it would have been much more satisfying to see Phillip and Elizabeth's reaction to the "not a bang but a whimper" end of the empire they served. That said, the garage scene had all I could have hoped for.
    Weird love is better than no love Buffy Summers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-06-18)

Thanks

Finally watched the last few episodes and enjoyed them.

Spoiler:
    I think their only option was to go back to the USSR. They would be hunted wherever they went, and at least here they could ask for some form of protection. History is on their side after all, and Gorbachov is not overthrown in a coup as the KGB were hoping for.

For me, they were adequately punished for their crimes. They lost both their children, had all their dreams, hopes and beliefs stripped away, their whole life made meaningless. They had nothing left but each other. Yet even for all that, I did feel it was a hopeful end for them.

At the end it was Stan who put on the mask and became something other than himself, which I think was a nice little twist. He realised, perhaps, that there are things more important than country and politics, but I do think he and Renee were left ambiguous and I liked that.

Favourite bit was Paige getting off that train. I thought that was very well done, and surprising. Like most of the characters on this show, who are left alive, she gets no resolution

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (07-06-18),TimeTravellingBunny (07-06-18)

Sunnydale High Student HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Finally watched the last few episodes and enjoyed them.

Spoiler:
    I think their only option was to go back to the USSR. They would be hunted wherever they went, and at least here they could ask for some form of protection. History is on their side after all, and Gorbachov is not overthrown in a coup as the KGB were hoping for.

For me, they were adequately punished for their crimes. They lost both their children, had all their dreams, hopes and beliefs stripped away, their whole life made meaningless. They had nothing left but each other. Yet even for all that, I did feel it was a hopeful end for them.

At the end it was Stan who put on the mask and became something other than himself, which I think was a nice little twist. He realised, perhaps, that there are things more important than country and politics, but I do think he and Renee were left ambiguous and I liked that.

Favourite bit was Paige getting off that train. I thought that was very well done, and surprising. Like most of the characters on this show, who are left alive, she gets no resolution
    Definitely one of the best series of all time! Kudos!
    Spoiler:
    I respect the creators for doing it their own way. I guess I was just expecting something different/more? I was surprised (but didn't mind) by the lack of violence/fatalities in the finale. I kind of wanted to see a time jump to early 90s with the Jennings just walking/fading away/resolution, or maybe just a reunion. I guess a lot of what happens is up to the viewer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. So, in a way, Liz & Philip, do get off a little bit easy. They just don't know it, yet. To be fair, they will lose most, if not all, contact with their children till at least early 90s. I'm guessing that Paige will (somehow) be in contact with Henry. I'm thinking (er wondering?) that after the cold war is over, the Jennings will be able to come back, or at least have their kids come visit them. I'm guessing that Paige will have either been exonerated, or maybe just claim to have not been involved in the spy craft. I see a bunch of fanfics in the series future...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-06-18)

Thanks

Spoiler:
    Yes, considering how violent season 6 had been, the lack of violence made a nice change I agree that Paige will be in touch with both Henry and them. She knows people she could reach out to, and people will reach out to her. I loved that she finally did as her mum had wanted and grew up. I was so angry at her for calling Elizabeth a whore, without even once considering what her father had been upto!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (07-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holypotatoes View Post
    I was a little disappointed in the finale tbh. There just seemed like lots of wasted time, and not just for the finale episode but for the season as a whole which is why I think I was more disappointed than I was hoping. Especially considering how the penultimate episode ended with Phillip sprinting and giving the code to get out of dodge, which was awesome.
    Spoiler:
    I guess I'm still irritated by the time jump and the abruptness of where the characters were at now at the beginning of this season. At the end of last season they were going to pick up and take off to be a family, and then this season they're all separated. You'd think in this finale Phillip and Elizabeth would have had a better plan for when they left the country considering they were planning on leaving last season. And they're travel agents after all. They could've gone literally anywhere else besides Russia if they were so unsure of going back. Especially knowing what Elizabeth knows, and the fact that she pissed off Claudia and the KGB. Why would Elizabeth think she'd be safe there? Then there's the Oleg stuff and that being basically unresolved, and the weird Renee stuff which, I'm sorry, after Phillip told Stan that she may be KGB (I was cackling at that btw, I have to be honest) we all know damn well Stan would not have just gone home and been peachy keen with her. His paranoia would have been through the roof. Then to think of the random stuff we've seen this season not really being resolved either. I mean you had Misha try to find Philip and then nothing after that. Then there was Martha just left to hang in Russia with no real resolution. Did she end up with the orphaned child or no? They made Paige a wanna be spy and then for that to literally go nowhere. What was the purpose? Henry, despite being a running joke throughout the last couple of seasons, was given no resolution. Like, really? During a quick montage they cut to Stan interrupting his hockey practice and then seemingly telling him that his parents are gone, spies, whatever he's being told in that moment. They literally circled the drain regarding Henry and what to do with him for a good half hour at least of the finale, and he doesn't even get any real resolution and is literally reduced to a small, silent montage clip in the final moments of the series. Really?

I just think off all of the wasted episodes this season that basically went nowhere and it's irritating me. How much time did we spend watching Elizabeth try to draw a fricken vase with the dying woman? To what end? Yes the paintings the woman drew were somber and bleak and that's likely what they were trying to reinforce with Elizabeth looking at them longingly here and there, as if we're to believe she's making realizations about her life and her choices. And yet, where was the payoff with that? We didn't really see any real change in Elizabeth. She figured out the KGB wasn't what she thought but that didn't come from the paintings, that came from being screwed over by Claudia and Elizabeth getting the riot act from Phillip about choices. Then they made it a point to show that the dying woman had been drawing her when she slept. That easily could have come into play. The cops find the ridiculously large painting Elizabeth took, trace it back to the dead lady, and then find out that, oh, this dying woman has this drawing that looks awfully like Elizabeth. I mean really. Don't leave breadcrumbs throughout your season when you're not using any of them. Stan literally figured out the spies were Elizabeth and Phillip over a comment of "an American couple with a few kids" and a woman with nice hair who smokes. Way to narrow down your options there Stan. Like Stan's realization was laughably bad and ridiculous. They could have done a better job at leading up to him figuring it out with actual clues. Not nonsense. This comment was more rant-y than I was intending but I guess I have pent up irritation about this.
    I couldn't possibly disagree more.

Spoiler:

What "resolution" were you expecting? We got all the resolutions we needed. The episodes this season weren't "wasted time" - it was character development. The show was never about plot, plot, plot, or FBI figuring out they spies, or whatever. It was never going to end up on a big shoot-out.
    It was always about the human connections, about love, family, friendship, and the toll that espionage and counter-espionage leaves on people, the way it ruins lives. We've seen that with Philip and Elizabeth and their kids, and with Stan as well. And, in the end, it was all about humanity and human relationships, which trump political allegiances. But we also saw that P and E paid the price - in losing their children, which was a fitting end.

I'm particularly perplexed as to what "resolution" anyone thinks Martha should still get. She already got a resolution! We saw it in season 5! She adopted that little girl and got some measure of happiness, getting a child as she always wanted. The show doesn't have spell out everything! It was already obvious.

It's also obvious that Philip will contact his brother and, in the process, get to meet his son Misha. There's no reason for it not to happen now that they're in USSR. But this ending was focused on P and E (and Paige, Henry and Stan).

Why would P and E go anywhere but to USSR?! USSR is the only home they have now. Anywhere else they go, they would be fish out of water and constant fugitives. Moving somewhere to live and going somewhere as a tourist are two completely different things. People can't just go anywhere to live. That's exactly why Philip realizes Henry could never go to USSR. That's why Gregory refused to go and preferred to commit suicide by cop. That's one of the reasons Paige stayed. True, they don't even know the USSR of today - but they still remember their home from back then. And they have people who now see them as heroes and will help them - everyone who's supporting Gorbachev (that's why Arkady met them).
    Not to mention, delivering the message about the coup against Gorbachev was the whole point! The dead drop being undelivered doesn't matter now, since P and E can do it themselves. Oleg's mission was not pointless - it achieved results: it made Elizabeth decide to stop the assassination, and eventually Stan let P and E go to deliver the info themselves.
    And we know that the organizers of the coup will eventually try it again (in 1991) and fail. In the fictional world of The Americans, P and E - and Oleg - are partially to be thanked for that. They'll be all right.
    Except for the fact that 1) they lost their children and 2) they will see communism fail, USSR fall apart, and Russia eventually fall into bad times - which means that a lot of what they did was for nothing, even if they did achieve some good things, especially at the end (contributing to the end of the Cold War and averting what could have been an even worse and harsher Cold War that may have turned into actual nuclear war).

Nothing that happened at the end of the series was a result of FBI's work or whatever. It was really fitting that it was all about conflicts between Russians/KBG/USSR themselves, and it was all about the decisions that the main characters made - Elizabeth, Philip, Stan, Oleg, Paige - as a result of their long-time character development.
    Paige learning to be a spy showed how desperate she was to get closer to her mother and understand her parents, but also how naive and unsuited she was to that calling. Paige is a really sad, almost tragic character who was damaged so much by her parents' actions (which was hinted at many times in the show - especially in the episode 5.10 Darkroom) and her final decision was the most shocking and emotional moment in the finale - a result of her issues, her inability to trust, her disillusionment with her parents. She made possibly her first adult, independent decision. But she also ended up alone - something she said was what scared her the most ("I'm not afraid of death, I'm only afraid of being alone").

What ended up being the most crucial thing for the ending and the development of this season's plot was Elizabeth's character development - it was Elizabeth deciding to stop following orders blindly and question her mission and what she was doing, and that resulted in Elizabeth deciding to break with the Center's orders, go against them, protect Nesterenko and avert the coup. And Erika Haskard and her paintings were one of the most important elements of Elizabeth's character development. It was what EST had been for Philip - those paintings and Erika taught her to get in touch with her real feelings. And the paintings also provided the most heartbreaking moment in the finale: Elizabeth's dream where she sees that painting (clearly as a representation of herself and her pain at losing her children) and, even more heartbreakingly, where she sees a painting in Erika's style of Paige and Henry looking just as a pained. Her subconsciousness was telling her how much her and Philip's actions have hurt and damaged their children (something she had subconsciously probably been suspecting for a while).
    Also, one of the hosts of the Rabbit Hole Network podcast noticed that one of Erika's paintings looked just like Elizabeth in the finale, desperately looking through the train window at Paige. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6&type=3&ifg=1

Also, how were you expecting the police to find the giant painting, when Elizabeth burned it in episode 8?! Elizabeth is not stupid, she had a hard time destroying the painting as it meant a lot to her, but she still knew she had to do it, to remove every possible trace that could link her to espionage. The whole point of that scene was how difficult it was for her to do it. The old Elizabeth would have done it immediately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Francy View Post
    I think the finale was very, very good, although not the ending I would have chosen personally. For all these years, I have been hoping for an ending in which
    Spoiler:
    the Jennings would pay/be held responsible for all the lives they took and destroyed. I would have been satisfied with them dying or being arrested and sent to jail. I don't hate them, I understand that they were indoctrinated since they were very young to do a job and they did horrible things because they thought they were serving a good cause, but still some of the things they did (Elizabeth especially) were unforgivable, and I needed to see them punished. Having to go back to Russia without their children is too much of a happy-ish ending for me. In the regard, the finale left me a little unsatisfied and with mixed feeling.

However, the writers had other ideas, and they exceuted them almost flawlessly. I liked that the episode focused on the characters more than the action, because at the end the show was always about these people, rather than the spy angle.The scene in the garage with Stan is a masterpiece, and so is the train scene.

I would have liked to get a last glimpse of Martha to see how she was doing, but the writers weren't interested.

Not happy with what happened to Oleg, but I choose to believe that things will improve greatly for him once the Soviet Union collapses. Speaking of which, since the beginning I was hoping to see the Jenning's reaction to the fall of the USSR and the end of communism, but it wasn't to be. I can use my immagination.

The last couple of seasons of the show had a few missteps, imo... but I'm glad the show was wrapped up in a mostly satisfying way.
    Elizabeth and Philip were anti-heroes, but they never villain protagonists that have to be taken down, like Walter White. Yes, they did a lot of terrible things in the course of their job, murdered people, destroyed lives - but so did Stan - it's not like he's a pure cinnamon roll good guy, either: the show makes it clear that this is what the world of espionage is like. And they paid a price for that in an emotionally devastating way.

But the show always refused to treat them as villains - it was never going to be about villainous KGB agents taken down by heroic good guys from the FBI. I have incredible respect for this show for that (and many other things). Especially in the world of American TV, where Russians are bad guys by default, or where MCU wants you to think that a KGB spy/assassin like Natasha Romanova is "redeeming" herself by... being a spy/assassin for SHIELD (technically an international organization, but American-coded and always shown to be close to the US government). Because Americans = good and Russians = bad (and they even have a Russian character support that idea).

The Americans, by contrast, treated KGB agents the same way US TV shows treat CIA agents or that British shows and movies treat MC5 agents. CIA is, in American pop culture, usually portrayed as morally problematic and suspicious because of its means - anti-heroic - but never as downright villainous (in spite of all the awful things CIA and the US military and government have done all over the world - some of which The Americans actually touched on - like the US support for the South African racist government, or their support to the Contras in Nicaragua, while others were outside the time frame of the show, such as the US support to Pinoche's coup in Chile) - the viewers are instead meant to accept that they're not entirely bad, because they are ultimately working for their country and for ideals and for a goal 'bigger than themselves'. Ditto for characters like James Bond. Well, that's also true of Philip and Elizabeth - Elizabeth has certainly always been an idealist who believes in the mission, and Philip believed in it at least at some point. (A lot of it was misguided, of course: the US was not really poisoning the Soviet food, the Star Wars program was a joke, the KGB ended up being the real villain many times - from causing the mess with Jared in season 2, to season 6 with the anti-Gorbachev coup. USSR may have thought they were just defending themselves by developing nuclear or biological etc. weapons, but so did USA. It's the nature of Mutually Assured Destruction and Cold War. But some of their mission even were unequivocally for a good end - like helping the anti-Apartheid activist, or averting the coup in season 6.) And the show treated them the same way another US TV show would treat CIA agent: recognizing them as morally problematic and anti-heroic for the murders and lies and deception they use to achieve their goals (they themselves feel like crap for the things they've done, their daughter despises them for them, and their son will no doubt, too), but still never treating them as bad guys that need to be taken down for the audience to feel satisfied.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Priceless (09-06-18)

Thanks

What "resolution" were you expecting? We got all the resolutions we needed. The episodes this season weren't "wasted time" - it was character development. The show was never about plot, plot, plot, or FBI figuring out they spies, or whatever. It was never going to end up on a big shoot-out.
    It was always about the human connections, about love, family, friendship, and the toll that espionage and counter-espionage leaves on people, the way it ruins lives. We've seen that with Philip and Elizabeth and their kids, and with Stan as well. And, in the end, it was all about humanity and human relationships, which trump political allegiances. But we also saw that P and E paid the price - in losing their children, which was a fitting end.
    First of all, you can take your snide little remarks to me in your entire response and shove them. Seriously, how rude are you?

There's not one sentence that says I wanted a shoot out. But not one person can say there wasn't wasted time this season. We made a giant time jump and spent the first half of the season focusing on mundane tasks that in the end had zero pay off (the various bioweapon food issue tasks for example or Misha trying to find Phillip only for him not to). And if losing their children was just so terrible for them, it's funny how they literally started off the season with Phillip not giving a damn that Elizabeth is trying to turn Paige into a spy, and Elizabeth telling Phillip that Henry is "Your problem." Sorry, considering they've left their kids in the lurch numerous times to be taken care of by their neighbors, losing their children just doesn't seem all that much of a life ruin-er. They ignored them for years.

I'm particularly perplexed as to what "resolution" anyone thinks Martha should still get. She already got a resolution! We saw it in season 5! She adopted that little girl and got some measure of happiness, getting a child as she always wanted. The show doesn't have spell out everything! It was already obvious.
    Some of us expected more with Martha considering they brought her back randomly in the grocery store this season. What was the purpose there? And frankly, no, getting a baby isn't resolution. Resolution is not just dumping her off in Russia last season to just leave her there to rot. But oh yeah, she saw an orphan and likely adopted them so she should be happy, right? Too bad she's no longer able to see her own family again and is stuck in a foreign country where she knows no one and doesn't speak the language. But sure, let's act like that's a good resolution. We only spent years watching Phillip use her and take advantage of the situation. So yes, we wanted an actual resolution. Not a bleak, non-resolution that we got. It's pretty simple. You can't tell me that they couldn't have written in the FBI thinking they found her whereabouts, grabbing her, and getting her to identify Phillip and Elizabeth, and possibly getting some amnesty and having the ability to come back home with the child she adopted. That's the resolution we wanted and deserved. Not a character that was focused on for years just used as canon fodder and a brief cameo in the final season.

Why would P and E go anywhere but to USSR?! USSR is the only home they have now. Anywhere else they go, they would be fish out of water and constant fugitives. Moving somewhere to live and going somewhere as a tourist are two completely different things. People can't just go anywhere to live. That's exactly why Philip realizes Henry could never go to USSR. That's why Gregory refused to go and preferred to commit suicide by cop. That's one of the reasons Paige stayed. True, they don't even know the USSR of today - but they still remember their home from back then. And they have people who now see them as heroes and will help them - everyone who's supporting Gorbachev (that's why Arkady met them).
    Not to mention, delivering the message about the coup against Gorbachev was the whole point! The dead drop being undelivered doesn't matter now, since P and E can do it themselves. Oleg's mission was not pointless - it achieved results: it made Elizabeth decide to stop the assassination, and eventually Stan let P and E go to deliver the info themselves.
    They were literal spies in a foreign country, bouncing city to city, state to state, and at times country to country, doing various tasks/missions for over 20+ years and were capable of not being found out that entire time. You cannot tell me they couldn't have taken on another identity somewhere else. Fugitive or no, if they're not putting themselves out there in dangerous situations to be found they'd likely be able to slip into any country and be fine. I mean my god. Literal Nazis escaped Germany after WWII and were never found nor captured. Mainly in South America. You cannot tell me 2 soviet spies wouldn't be able to find somewhere else to go but back to the USSR. Especially when they had reservations about returning anyway. They have gone almost their entire lives pretending to be other people. They're not Paige or Henry, and are more than capable of adapting to another environment.

As for delivering the message, you do realize the message never had to be personally delivered right? They didn't physically have to go back to Russia to send that information. Not even Oleg was going to do that. And Oleg was not the reason Elizabeth stopped the assassination. The lies she was told by Claudia and the KGB, and everything leading up to that were the reason.

Also, how were you expecting the police to find the giant painting, when Elizabeth burned it in episode 8?!
    You did get me here because I forgot she pulled the painting back out after she initially decided not to burn it. But again, the woman was drawing paintings of Elizabeth. That could've easily come into play as well. I just feel like there were a lot of random clues that could have lead to Elizabeth and Phillip being found out, and not just by Stan hearing the "couple with kids" and woman with nice hair who smokes. That was a cop out.
    Last edited by holypotatoes; 10-06-18 at 02:34 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holypotatoes View Post
    First of all, you can take your snide little remarks to me in your entire response and shove them. Seriously, how rude are you?

Yeah, seriously, that's a good question - how rude are you? I'd say, quite rude.

So, you've ensured in your very first sentence that I don't even bother replying any further.
    I'll just say that this show may not have ever been for you, no more than online discussions seem to be for you.

Thanks

Yeah, seriously, that's a good question - how rude are you? I'd say, quite rude.

So, you've ensured in your very first sentence that I don't even bother replying any further.
    I'll just say that this show may not have ever been for you, no more than online discussions seem to be for you.
    Okay buddy.