View Poll Results: Who Did Xander Feel Competitive With?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buffy

5 45.45%
  • Willow

1 9.09%
  • Giles

4 36.36%
  • Angel

10 90.91%
  • Faith

1 9.09%
  • Riley

6 54.55%
  • Cordelia

5 45.45%
  • Dawn

1 9.09%
  • Tara

0 0%
  • Larry

5 45.45%
  • Anya

0 0%
  • Spike

8 72.73%
  • Andrew

1 9.09%
  • Billy

0 0%
  • Renee

0 0%
  • Oz

5 45.45%
  • Wesley

4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Who Does Xander Feel Competitive With?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,623 Posts

Default Who Does Xander Feel Competitive With?

Same as the Buffy thread. Check off who Xander felt competitive with.

Thanks

Xander’s competiveness mostly concerns ‘usefulness in the Scoobies’ and/or ‘power in the Scoobies’ and ‘ability to be with Buffy’.

Buffy: she’s the Slayer.

Willow: mostly has always been more useful, put became exponentially more useful as her magical powers increased.

Giles: he’s the Watcher and therefore automatically more important to Buffy’s Slayer activities than Xander is.

This is a reason for Xander’s “Restless” (4.22) dream about his no longer being the ‘next in line to be Watcher’ to the point that Giles chooses Spike to be Buffy’s new Watcher instead of Xander.

Angel: vampire with knowledge of the supernatural. Obviously, Xander for at least 3 years was competitive with Angel in terms of Angel being able to be with Buffy. He thinks Buffy liked ‘dangerous’ guys and that’s a reason she’s attracted to Angel. He’s jealous that Angel was able to be with someone with Drusilla’s looks.

Faith: as another Slayer, is more important in the fight than Xander is. Of course, this only applies to BtVS S3 and however long in BtVS S7.

Riley: much like Angel, is a better fighter, has more access to knowledge of the supernatural, and is able to be with Buffy. Xander was probably jealous of Riley’s access to military power.

Cordelia, Dawn, Tara, Anya, Andrew, Oz, and Wesley while at times more useful to the Scoobies than Xander is, Xander felt he had more power and influence in the Scoobies than they did and so therefore wasn’t competitive with them.

Billy: that lasted a few days and was about Buffy preferring to be with Billy instead of Xander.

Larry: Xander never wanted to be a jock. We know that Xander could have probably been on the swim team in BtVS S1 and perhaps even been the star swimmer, and yet he wasn’t.

Spike: much like Angel, is a vampire, is a better fighter, has more access to knowledge of the supernatural, and is able to be with Buffy. Dawn went from being attracted to Xander to be attracted to Spike (and Xander could still consider that she may be attracted to Spike). Xander is clearly jealous of Spike’s ability to get women.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 Times in 2,789 Posts

Most of Xander's competiveness is directed at other men and he feels threatened when they have attachments with the women in his life. He obviously feels he’s in direct competition with Angel in S1 & S2, he calls Riley a “teutonic boy-toy” after merely seeing him talk to Buffy at the fraternity party, he’s initially greatly hostile towards Oz in Phases, he’s resentful of Wesley and Cordy’s attraction to him, and he instantly feels competitive when he learns that Dawn had developed a crush on Spike. Xander is extremely territorial, particularly in the high school and early college years, and it gets him into trouble a lot. It's interesting to note that he never acts this way towards Tara or Kennedy (both women) or has any problems with Buffy growing close to Faith in S3.

I do think there was a certain level of competitiveness that remained with Riley as although Xander liked him a great deal, I do think he felt in competition with him in Fool For Love over his jungle cat moves.

I also got the sense that Xander and Jesse competed a lot even though they were great friends. It's hard to tell based on how little we saw them interact, but they constantly seemed to be trying to talk faster/over each other and upping the other's jokes. When they gather around Buffy in Welcome to the Hellmouth I think it's clear to see that, had Jesse survived, both would have been competing for her affection throughout S1.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 26-02-13 at 11:19 AM.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,623 Posts

I agree with vampmogs that most of Xander's competitiveness is directed towards men moving in on the women in his life. Then within that, Xander becomes competitive about who is buff or cool or funny or most worthy.

I didn't pick Riley- but I see where vampmogs is coming from. However, I do think that Xander thought Riley was too awesome to catch up with in a competition when it comes to being a soldier, collected, bad-ass type. Meanwhile, Xander saw an opening to disparage Angel's and Spike vamp-created bad assery because hey, it is *vampness*. Xander seemed to view Oz's cool as either another flavor of just bad in Phases but later when Xander liked Oz, Xander acted like Oz's cool was something that Xander could learn, distill, rub off from, etc. Oz's cool was more attainable than Riley's cool- to Xander.

The one exception to this dynamic is that I think Xander was competitive with Buffy in terms of strength, who the protector is, who the leader is, who Giles likes more, etc. Usually, Xander defers to Buffy's central place out of big time respect for her and a strong interest in group-cohesion but there's always a strand of competition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    I think Xander was competitive with Buffy in terms of strength, who the protector is, who the leader is, who Giles likes more, etc. Usually, Xander defers to Buffy's central place out of big time respect for her and a strong interest in group-cohesion but there's always a strand of competition.
    Huh? This is simply untrue.

strength, who the protector is, who the leader is: Xander isn't delusional in regard to these things.

Who Giles likes more: Where do you get this? There is simply no proof of this.

Xander never wished to challenge Buffy for the leadership position.