Thread: Ideal Character Configuration For Season 10

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,623 Posts

Default Ideal Character Configuration For Season 10

I was wondering what are folks' ideal books for S10? What are fans' ideal character split ups?

Do people want Angel and Faith to stay together in their own book and Buffy/Willow/Dawn/Xander to all be in a BtVS book?

Do people want certain characters to go off and have miniseries in S10? Anyone want a Dawn miniseries for a change or another Spike miniseries?

Do people want Angel alone and for Faith to join Buffy and the gang?

Or do folks want everyone in one book- no minis?

Or something else!

Slayer
    Thanks

Interesting questions. Dipstick. I've been wondering about these issues myself. Last I heard there were rumors there would be a lot of interaction between the characters from Angel's book in the Buffy title. But this was from a long time ago so I don't know how current these ideas are right now. I guess a lot of it depends on where they're taking the series at this point. A lot can change depending on the writers and their ideas for storylines.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,914 Times in 1,846 Posts

There's a lot of assumption that goes into even engaging the question. First and foremost, that everyone will survive. Also, I'm still at least somewhat concerned that Season 10 and Season 0 are one and the same.

But assume not, assume everyone comes through Season 9, and there's no big reboot.

If it's me, I would start with a big writer pow-wow, a clean sheet of paper, and a vision of the ongoing Buffyverse as being reconcieved outside the scope of the television model of "seasons" and into the mold of a modular, expandable story setting of exactly the sort that Marvel and DC have. Just all within the Buffyverse IP. Come up with a family of books and a shared meta-title to unify them, a plan for original characters to be developed organically instead of in the scattershot way they've been developed in Season 9 (A&F has done much better).

I know from a lot of threads that I must be about the only person who would want that to happen, but I think it's probably the best overall strategy for the continued viability of the setting in its current canonical configuration.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 8,991 Times in 2,735 Posts

My idea behind the miniseries was that they were going to more character-driven than plot-driven. I never thought that it would mean characters have to leave the main book and envisioned the format being used more to take a closer and more intimate look at the secondary characters, when their page time may be lacking in the main book. For instance, I'd have been quite content with a miniseries focusing on 'the day in the life' of Xander and Dawn in domesticity. So when I think of miniseries ideas I imagine them more as character sidepieces rather than the characters going on adventures etc.

Some ideas I had;

Xander/Willow: Xander gets a phone call from his mother. His father has passed away. Xander doesn’t know what to do so he calls Willow and the two of them reflect back on their childhood together, as well as what they mean to each other now. It could work well as a standalone and would be quite powerful in its simplicity. Preferably written by Joss Whedon.

Buffy/Faith: One of Kakistos’s protégés seeks revenge against the two Slayers who killed him and Buffy and Faith are forced to join forces to save their lives. The vampire enlists a dream demon to attack Buffy and Faith in their sleep and the two Slayers join forces in a dreamscape to fend off the demon and wake up. In their sleep they’re forced to confront their issues as well as what Giles meant to both of them. I always imagined that when they defeat the demon and wake up the miniseries ends with Buffy and Faith having a pretty touching phone call (Faith is still in London and Buffy in San Francisco) making it clear how much they mean to each other. It would work well as 2-3 issue series. Oh, and a lot of slashy subtext please! Preferably written by Joss Whedon but if not, either Drew Goddard or Brian K Vaughn.

Buffy’s Alpha Squad: Maybe too much time has passed now but I always hoped for a miniseries revolving around Buffy’s Alpha Squad in S8. I loved their scenes together in #4 when all of the girls are in their dormitory and are teasing Satsu about how she’s Buffy’s favourite. I would have loved a standalone issue exploring what these girls mean to each other and what it was like to be a Slayer in Buffy’s organisation. Any decent writer would do but Satsu is Whedon's baby so...

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Also, I'm still at least somewhat concerned that Season 10 and Season 0 are one and the same.
    After I read #18 I have to agree with you that Allie's Season 0 comments were suspicious. A reboot of sorts does seem more likely than ever now.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 16-02-13 at 03:10 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Athanos (18-02-13),Dipstick (16-02-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,229 Times in 5,504 Posts

I have always liked mogs idea of character based minis. I could happily see the two titles remain as they are, with Buffy/Willow/Xander/Spike/Dawn in one title, because lets face it we didn't get that this season and I would like to see Angel and Faith when they are both on a more stable footing. I haven't got to the Faith part of AtS but my understanding is that Angel is very much helping her so I would like to see the two of them when one isn't 'in need'. I like what I have seen of their friendship and I think Angel benefits from Faith being so different to him.

Slayer
    Thanks

There's a lot of assumption that goes into even engaging the question. First and foremost, that everyone will survive. Also, I'm still at least somewhat concerned that Season 10 and Season 0 are one and the same.
    Isn't Jane Espenson supposed to writing the very last issue? I don't know if that's still true but if so I did find it odd she's the one penning that issue.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DorothyFan1 View Post
    Isn't Jane Espenson supposed to writing the very last issue? I don't know if that's still true but if so I did find it odd she's the one penning that issue.
    I think she's writing that Billy story Scott Allie mentioned in the letter page.That's just a guess on my part but since she co-created Billy with Drew Greenberg,it would make sense that she's writing that.

It's hard for me to really tihnk of what the season 10 titles will be until the end of the season but I'm thinking they're might be a different combination of monthlies next season.For example I don't think Angel & Faith will be a book next season.

The comics have re-used/worked in ideas that were planned for the screen.

1)Angel season 6 became Angel:After The Fall.
    2)The Faith DVD movie became the "No Future For You Arc" in season 8.
    3)"After These Messages We'll Be Right Back" worked in the pilot episode of Buffy The Animated Series(and the pilot was released online around the same time).
    4)Angel & Faith is working in elements of the Ripper BBC series.

So with that in mind,I wouldn't mind seeing a book using elements of the Faith series that almost happened after Buffy ended on T.V.The series was going to focus on Faith,Spike and Robin Wood and have them travel around Kung Fu style.Tim Minear was going to showrun it for Joss.Eliza Dushku chose to do Tru Calling instead.

I also could also go for a Angel & Connor title.I just love a good father and son story and really enjoyed their arc this season.

But really,I can't make a good guess what we could get next season until this season is over.

I woudn't be surprised if Billy or Nadira gets a miniseries next season assuming they make it thorugh this season.
    Last edited by BAF; 16-02-13 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks

I am not the greatest fan of comics. I don't understand them in the context that Buffy on tv was about, with death the (necessary) overarching metaphor toward “adulthood.” Buffy dies or the world dies. I think the Gift was a satisfying ending, actually. And more for just “more” isn’t “holding my interest.”

The reset time line is for comic book convention, and has zip all to do with the Journey of “All About Buffy.” It is to allow exactly the proliferation of any and all “mad cap” adventures, with sentimental hackery in one character after another to be used, discarded, dragged back for no discernable reason. No one is allowed to learn and retain that learning in any kind of “learn better, do better” as empowerment, which I used to see was “all about Buffy,” through deeper wisdom and wider compassion. That’s it.

Further, I refused to pay for “every single cover” this season—I go for the purdy and read “interpretation” of incomprehensible and unintelligible and fanwank fill-in for (a.) Buffy isn’t even in her book—she can be drooling in Giles’ Legacy, in the worst of “all along” kinds of story telling, because the real danger and story is being told (as a literary device) all around season 9—Spike, A&F, Willow (b) There are too many “throw a way” characters, way too much “political butt kicking, that are actually anvils; including “clueless” Buffy in “free fall,” as “consequence” for “ever breathing.” to (c) repeat the entire story in a reset we already saw done in a “flash” in season 7, re Willow, the scythe, as the Goddess, and since (d) we had the entire season eight, precede this one and actually establish all this “reset” potential, doing all seven seasons in reverse, to establish “a multiverse” kind of “world building” that suits comic book conventions and loses sight of why I even follow the Buffyverse.

Spike is figuring out he doesn’t want to be a “half thing” as a dark place, but a fully actualized person, deserving of the “real deal.” Further, Whistler, as a “balance demon” without “design” from the “cut off “ PTB—when any and all other dimensions tessaract themselves into this one (eye roll)—is a trickster, capable of making a singular kind of “duality” stick, killing all chance for any leadership out of it. (Angel’s usual role vs Spike’s maybe “set up” to finally get a reversal so Spike actually has some purpose for his existence. (I hope for he and Faith to figure out their job is to protect children, since neither will have them, nor as shadow side to the protagonists, should they “shanshu” or go to “adultland,” as they are “immortal avatars”—since Joss explores all stories via darkness and none in “light” other than “love=die.”).

I don't need this “helpless to any and all plots” Buffy, accepted in zero change, as some anvillicious Buffy, when she used to be extremely intuitive, she used to actually learn; and even gave great homage to those who protected her real power, that of her humanity, especially when her practicality also used to exist: she worked double shifts to feed her sister, and I’d prefer to get rid of this “ever-since-season-six” superior/inferior” gig—I actually adored Joss’ original bone structure. steeped in myth that is universally understood, and not merely “psychological masturbation spiraling into “influences” on any slice of it, going nowhere” just for “dogma bashing”.

I actually appreciate the depth in season eight, learned a lot, but at too high a cost to character, which is the entire point of the Buffy verse. So now we have inert Buffy, and everything is done to her, like a baby in diapers, unable to “roll over,” still stuck in “superior/inferior” with a "gay blade" is beyond the boring in a plot, trying to parse words like body, mind, spirit, anima, essence, magical essence as components of “identity” and then have it all “chalked up” to “lack of magic-imagination” and “belief”—so I guess we all gotta “clap our hands” and that will finally kill this darn season. I also think Connor as a social worker is lame/stupid. He should be a doctor. (A shrink, for those who like all that psychobabble type meta. Bwhaha).

I mostly fear season 10/0 because I don’t think Joss is going to actually write ever. Even the outline is driving these writers to do what they are being paid to do: The comic book convention of Buffy, superhero, broken doll, jack ass, squishy schmoo, saint and sinner, opens its maw. Clink, clank, clunk.

Yes, I think Buffy together with scoobs is patently “Buffy,” and the cross overs to serve the “same universe” might restore some credibility to the reality of the Buffy verse, especially if the writers pay very close attention, that the other characters have to clarify what Buffy herself just wouldn’t or couldn’t say, as that is her character, not to mention, there is nothing wrong with giving your reader some facts that don’t’ endlessly raise questions for some dramatic effect going nowhere, but “get out of the way’to move an actual story forward e.g. writers! Take responsibility for more than “what ever you think” as an answer for all the heavy lifting we are willing to do, at whatever level of interpretation.
    HUGS!
    sybil

p.s. I found this from Stoney:

In the last SlayAlive Q&A with Scott A I asked about the nature of Buffy's story now and he did agree that Joss' aesthetics in TV may be slightly different to comics (no surprise there). Personally, as I said to Allie I think the issue is that a life drama doesn't translate to comics well. So pregnant!Buffy becomes robot!Buffy and she doesn't seem to be moving forward in life in the way that I genuinely think she progressively did each season in the show. The action works fine for the comic medium but the nuances of emotion and the subtlety of interaction that was often one of the fundamentals on BtVS is mostly lost. They benefited, until recently, with Jeanty being able to pour in emotion on the close up facials but they were mostly then isolated from the reaction of the receiver/setting in order to pull in like that so it gave and lacked at the same time. And that was when it was done at its best.
    Yeah, what she said, shorter even if it isn't the subject really, but why my "ideal season 10/0 "may not even matter as this doesn't feel like Buffy that I understand and I already "saw it." Twice. I think I need to answer the thread on artists doing it, rather than "bring back Buffy to Buffy, with the scoobs, intelligent, same universe crossovers, and heck with the mistake of a wider fan base for the ones here, doing the "deeper" and who buy everything thrown at us and "remain loyal."

HUG ya AGAIN!
    sybil

AND! I am the thread killer, AGAIN!
    Last edited by sybil; 19-02-13 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks

* About no one is going to read Buffyverse ‘reboot’ comics. All that would accomplish is to delegitimize the ‘canonity’ of BtVS S8 and BtVS S9.

* I want Angel dusted. There still hasn’t been a valid reason given for his continued non-dusting.

* FtVS. I wanted this to happen after BtVS S8 and still want it to happen.

* Joss managed to do Fray , so why couldn’t other Slayers have their own comics or at least miniseries?

* If Buffy/Spike isn’t going to be happen, it’d like to have a Spike comic with Spike, Morgan, Spider and Co., and Beck (the last two if IDW allows that). It’s almost impossible for me to consider AtF and S:AtF canon if Spike decided to not have his own ‘Scooby Gang’. And even is Buffy and Spike do get together, Morgan, Spider and Co., and Beck should be in BtVS (I’m not sure their ‘strong’ enough characters to get their own miniseries.)

* Miniseries – if there have to be some – should focus on characters and have us learn more about them. As-is, probably the only one that had this model is the Riley one. For the Willow and Spike ones, it was mostly: stuff happens with the Spike one adding confusion as to what from IDW is possibly canon.

* They should decide what year it is in the comics and have the stuff in the comic be appropriate to that. It’s beyond annoying to have iPhone 4s, Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way”, Avengers logo t-shirts, and then say, “Well, it’s probably 2006.” Also, the story of Buffy thinking about having kids is different if she’s in her 30s than if she’s still in her mid 20s.

* Joss should say what from IDW is canon.

* But actually, I’d prefer a Buffyverse cartoon that’s TV PG to TV MA with voice acting by the cast. Or straight to DVD/BRs like the DC ones with voice acting by the cast.