• Janice

1 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Who Did Dawn Love?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,623 Posts

Default Who Did Dawn Love?

Again, same concept as in past threads. Check off who you think Dawn loved.

Hellmouth Tourist BlazingOsiris's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think you could say that Dawn loved anyone, at least not romatically. Sure, she had a fe crushes, like Xander, and Spike, but up until season 7 I personally think she was too immature, emotionaly for those kind of deep feelings. I can't make an option for any season development after the end of season 7 as I haven't delved into the whole comic element of Buffy.
    But as for any other kind of love, there is no arguing that Dawn truly loved her mother.
    "You hurt me, I hurt you. I'm just a little more efficient"

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Dawn never had any romantic interests on the show, and we saw a couple times that she had some of her own friends but we never really saw much of that. I think she liked hanging out with Buffy and her friends and being part of the group - but I'm not sure she actually loved them.

I decided to just vote for her family - Buffy & Joyce. I don't think that Dawn actually ever even met Hank, so I decided to not even consider that.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,623 Posts

Everyone, I'm not just polling for romantic love. I'm asking folks to enter whoever they felt Dawn loved. That could be any kind of love that registers for you as significant- romantic love, familial love, friend-love, crush love, creepy love. Just anything that meets the standard "love".

I think Dawn had familial love for Joyce and Buffy (natch) but also Willow and Tara. Dawn had some feelings of familial love and some feelings of crush-love for Xander in the TV series but it ended up coalescing into like, *future life partner love*, combining Dawn's crush and her desire to be in Xander's family. Dawn had a crush on Spike that wasn't really love but in S5-6, she really developed strong feelings of friendship simpatico that IMO, amounted to early love but Spike killed those feelings with neglect and then, his rape of Buffy and then, more neglect.

A comparable thing happened with Hank. Dawn probably loved Hank as a child- but those were the implanted Monk feelings. By the time that Dawn started making her own decisions, she was making them off of Hank's neglect and making a decision to no longer love Hank. So while I felt that Buffy loved Hank in S1-4, Dawn came up as a real person at the point where both of the Summers girls were so hurt by him that he eroded childhood feelings of love.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,808 Times in 5,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    ...but Spike killed those feelings with neglect and then, his rape of Buffy...
    Attempted rape.

I voted for Buffy, Willow, Xander, Spike, Tara, Joyce and Hank all on the basis of friend/familial love and how important they all were/are to her. I think she did have a crush on Spike but more so loved him in a naive yet affectionate/sisterly way and he was hugely important to her pre Buffy's resurrection. I do think their relationship went array with how Buffy focused Spike became in S6 but I don't think it went entirely, was just neglected. The attempted rape definitely had an incredibly negative effect on their relationship in S7 but it is hard to say any more than that because we have just never seen them having a relationship since so the assumption is that Dawn pulled away from him because of that.

I chose Hank simply because of an assumed unconditional parental love being 'programmed' in with her memories.

Xander obviously became a different love. Other show romances/crushes/dates I have just judged as teenage infatuations.
    Last edited by Stoney; 11-02-13 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks

I mostly agree with Stoney, but also voted for Giles and Kenny. I'm pretty sure she had some familial loving feelings for Giles. And she had a relationship with Kenny, maybe not the "all time love" kind of thing, but the way they worked things out at the end made me think there had to be some kind of love going on.

Thanks

My choices are self-evident.

* Spike would only be for BtVS S5 and BtVS S6 before learning Spike attempted to rape Buffy. I reason Dawn is the one
    Spoiler:
    in 8.40 who was unwilling to allow Spike to be invited into the apartment.

_________

* Dawn probably loved the Buffybot more than she ever loved Giles. It doesn’t even seem Dawn attempted to try to get Giles to be her father figure.