Thread: So..it's official..this is S7 all over again (spoilers up to ww4)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Default So..it's official..this is S7 all over again (spoilers up to ww4)

S8 was promising, had some great moments, but veered into some poor choices in the last stretch.
    S7 started fine, and quickly descended into some horrible writing, lost opportunities, and a passel of new characters no one warmed to.

I meant this analogy as a Joke at first, but now it's become almost a mission on the part of the comic to live down to this...

Please..tell me I am wrong...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drlloyd11 View Post
    S8 was promising, had some great moments, but veered into some poor choices in the last stretch.
    S7 started fine, and quickly descended into some horrible writing, lost opportunities, and a passel of new characters no one warmed to.

I meant this analogy as a Joke at first, but now it's become almost a mission on the part of the comic to live down to this...

Please..tell me I am wrong...
    I think by comparing these comics to season 7, you actually insult season 7. Sure, it was messy and had many different problems, but you know what... regardless of those problems I cared about Buffy and her friends in season 7. Now not only I don't care about her, but quite frankly I resent her. I know that I sound like broken record but she is no longer a HERO, she is a VICTIM, and there is nothing admirable about her. Sure, in season 7 you can argue that she was less likeable than before, but she wasn't such a dumbass in distress. I'm tired of seeing her defeated, humiliated, kidnapped, betrayed, and in constant need of rescue.

And you can say that in season 7 we spend too much time with characters we don't know or we don't care about like Potentials, Andrew and Robin Wood. But you know what? In season 7 characters that people know and cared about - such as Spike, Willow, Giles, Xander, Dawn, Faith- were at least there! Now Spike and Willow have separate books, Giles is dead and Xander and Dawn are barely in this book, and Buffy is left with cardboard cutout, generic characters. In fact I propose a little game:
    Describe the following season 9 characters WITHOUT saying what they look like, what kind of costume they wore, or what their profession or role in the comic was. C'mon describe: Dowling, Koh, Billy and Devon. I think nobody can because they have no personality.

You can also argue that The First was lame villain, but you know what? Almost from the beginning we knew what First wanted so there were stakes involved - preservation of Slayer line - so our heroes had clear goals, and we know what would be the consequences if they fail. So far in season 9 nothing is at stake and we deliberately are keep in the dark about villains plans. So why should I care about what happen in the story? Also whatever you want to say about The First, IT was there for almost entirety of season 7, villains in season 9 are largely absent - Simone appeared for short time in "Apart of me" and then she vanished, same with Severin, he was shoot in issue 4 and he reappeared only now in issue 17. This must be first "Buffy" season withouth Big Bad. Also I would trade 100 of Severin's for one Celeb.

So no, I think that season 9 resemble more of season 6 because it is largely directionless but also, it have some problems of season 7 - invasion of unwanted and unlikeable characters- and some unique problems of its own - Buffy being pathetic and lack of BTVS characters. Only things I liked about this season are dialogues - some of them are well writen - and occasionally humour, all else is a train wreck.
    Last edited by 1701EarlGrey; 07-02-13 at 05:46 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 1701EarlGrey For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (07-02-13)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1701EarlGrey View Post
    I think by comparing these comics to season 7, you actually insult season 7.Only things I liked about this season are dialogues - some of them are well writen - and occasionally humour, all else is a train wreck.
    I would not argue with this, I just use it as a best approximation.