Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Angel & Faith #16 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,909 Times in 2,707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    * Faith is concerned with even members of a drug cartel getting proper burials and having their families notified.

Yet she’s helping a guy responsible for possibly millions to hundreds of millions of deaths.
    Ah, how are the two antithetical? You said it yourself. She's "even" showing respect to unsavoury members of a drug cartel. That's not contradictory whatsoever with her helping somebody like Angel who probably doesn't "deserve" it. What would be hypocritical was if she housed Angel despite everything that he did but didn't show these men the proper respect just because they were caught up in drugs.

* Did that conversation with Giles actually happen, or is that all in Faith’s head?

I lean towards it’s in her head given she’s discussing mentoring Slayers.
    Pretty obvious it's meant to be a flashback. Why would it be in her head because they're discussing mentoring Slayers? That's what Faith and Giles set out to do in S8, remember? I'm sure they had many discussions about mentoring Slayers.

Why wouldn’t she want guidance from Buffy?
    "I think you need to brush up on your Buffy and Faith history"

I don’t know whom she’s referring to as “those who can’t be helped”, maybe Drusilla and those Dru was trying to help.
    "She's" not referring to anything because it's quite obviously a flashback to a conversation she shared with Giles. And Giles obviously isn't referring to Drusilla as they hadn't crossed paths with her in S8.

* It takes both Angel and Faith to lift the stone lid of the sarcophagus and they both strained to do it.

In “Something Blue” (4.09), Buffy and Spike easily lifted such a lid and carried it to a door.

In “Blood Ties” (5.13), Spike at one end of the stap lifts and tosses a lid several feet away and it wasn’t a struggle.

Unless Giles’ sarcophagus lid was unnaturally heavy, this suggests that Buffy and Spike combined are stronger than Angel and Faith combined and that an enraged Spike can have bursts of strength that are more than Angel and Faith’s combined ‘normal’ strength.

* Does Faith not know about teleportation? Someone could have magically teleported Giles’ body out of the coffin.
    Someone could have "magically" teleported her in a world with no magic? Teleportation isn't meant to be possible anymore, remember? That's why Buffy queries why Illyria was able to teleport her in 9.16. There's no reason Faith should suspect this.

* Nadira to Faith: “[T]he two of you fought Drusilla back to back, in a burning church in front of dozens of witnesses.”

First off, this implies that Nadira seems to consider that Angel and Faith would need to fight together in order to try to defeat Drusilla.
    It doesn't imply any such thing. At the end of #14 Nadira was told by one of her fellow Slayers that Angel and Faith were seen fighting back to back against Drusilla and her mob. She's literally just repeating to Angel and Faith what she was told by the witnesses.

And I hate to break it to you, MikeB, but Nadira doesn't agree with you that Drusilla is so awesome and Angel's such a pansy. She's angry at Angel for letting Dru go when he usually kills demons like he's "swatting flies". She obviously believes Angel was capable of dusting Dru if he wanted to and is pissed off that he didn't.

* Nadira to Faith: “[Angel] murdered an entire unit of Slayers last year. My sisters.”

This is new information. Nadira doesn’t mention Pearl and Nash. She says Angel himself murdered this unit. If so, this refutes any argument that Angel wasn’t directly killing people in BtVS S8.
    It's an obvious reference to what we were told in #1. She doesn't mention Nash and Pearl because as far as she's concerned Angel ordered the kill and therefore did murder an entire unit of Slayers. It's irrelevant to her whether or not he did it was his own bare hands.

* Faith to Nadira: “He was under the influence of Twilight. Which I know you think was him, but it was, like, this massive cosmic force of -- Jesus, even I don’t understand it…”

First off, does Faith actually believe this? If she did, why wouldn’t she be telling Nadira and Co. this from the start?

Has Angel told Faith this?
    Again, this is a reference to the scene in #1 when Angel tells Faith he doesn't remember the slaughter of Nadira's squad because he was heavily under Twilight's influence at the time. This is not new information.

Anyway, Dru was being peaceful and helping. It’s Angel’s fault that she’s insane again.
    Drusilla was soulless and evil. She wasn't "helping" anyone.

And if Dru killed Slayers, she did it because they were trying to attack her.
    So? Does that mean The Master was justified to kill Buffy because she attacked him first? Drusilla is evil and the Slayers were doing their duty by attacking her. There is no justification for what Drusilla did. She's an evil creature who committed evil by murdering a good woman. End of.

Is it significant that Nadira is powerful enough to punch Angel to the ground?
    Why would it be significant? An ordinary human is strong enough to punch a vampire to the ground so why wouldn't a Slayer be? Gunn frequently knocked vampires to the ground and Xander punched Spike to the ground in Normal Again. Kennedy had been a Slayer for two minutes and she was throwing an Ubervamp around like a ragdoll. Dana had been a Slayer for 6 months and she hurled Spike out of a window and flung Angel across the room. Of course a Slayer is powerful enough to punch Angel to the ground.

It seems that they could have demanded that Faith give them housing.
    Ha! Who are they to "demand" Faith give them anything? It's Faith's house and she can do what she damn well pleases with it. She chooses to help these Slayers of her own accord and isn't forced to do a blessed thing.

* Nadira doesn’t know what Giles looks like?
    Why would she? Slayers like The Decoy had never even seen Buffy before and Aiko didn't see her until WatG. What makes you think the 500 girls in Buffy's organisation had all seen Giles?
    Last edited by vampmogs; 27-12-12 at 12:58 PM.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Vampire in Rug (27-12-12)

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Overall, this Issue wasn’t compelling. It would have been if Nadira and Co. could actually kill Angel (they can’t unless Joss wants to kill him and wants Nadira and Co. to have that honor) or if Faith was actually going to abandon Angel (she isn’t at least for another 9 Issues, which means another 9 months of reading these comics). Pretty much the only compelling thing that happened is Nadira and Co. breaking ties with Faith.
    I disagree. I think it's actually one of the most compelling issues of either series. I think the previous A&F was better (the one with Whistler, Nash & Pearl's origins) but that's because that issue was chock full of juicy exposition and I love me a good villain story. This was a strong issue, one of the best entries in A&F and certainly better than anything in BtVS season 9 that I can remember.

Then again, I'm here to enjoy the story. I don't have an agenda where unless the story kills Angel I won't enjoy it.

But that will likely only result in less screen time for Nadira and Co., or no screen time for Nadira and Co., or Nadira and Co. being killed. So, production-wise, they will be punished for Faith siding with Angel over her fellow Slayers.
    For starters, you don't know how this story is going to end, so your speculations that Nadira and her Slayers will die is pure, baseless speculation. Will they receive less "screentime" now that they have cut ties with Faith? Possibly. But aren't you the first one to claim that you don't use "production reasons" as arguments in your posts?

As for Faith breaking ties with Angel, that will only happen if Angel is going to have his own ‘show’ again. And his comics aren’t selling that well even with Faith in them and in the title.
    As far as comics go, I believe this title is still selling pretty decently.

* Angel should still have money from his Angel Investigations business and his Wolfram and Hart compensation, so is he paying for things like his airfare?

* I wonder if Faith is flying first class, business class, or coach. Those seem to be business class or first class seats.
    I'll never understand why you're so hung up on details like the characters bank accounts, or the social status their wealth can buy them. Angel was able to stay in they Hyperion and in a nice apartment when he had zero income. It's never explained how he got the mansion. Buffy was supposed to be poor during BtVS season 6 and yet she was wearing a new outfit each week. The school nerds are attractive guys. Spike is well groomed for a guy who rarely has access to a shower. This is the world of TV and comics. I very much doubt that the writers have thought extensively about what Drusilla's human social status was. Angel has as much in his bank account as the plot needs him to have. I doubt he's a millionare. Maybe he has several thousand, maybe he's got no savings whatsoever. Maybe he's got a cave somewhere with a stash of treasure. What class did Faith fly in? It's an unimportant detail. We won't find out because it's not important.

* Angel to Faith: “If you worked demolitions I’d be running for my life.”

Given what Angel did in BtVS S8, it’ll always not be amusing when Angel says any such thing.
    It was supposed to be light-hearted banter between friends. I like this kind of stuff.

* Faith is concerned with even members of a drug cartel getting proper burials and having their families notified.

Yet she’s helping a guy responsible for possibly millions to hundreds of millions of deaths.
    As vampmogs mentions, the two aren't antithetical to each other.

* So, Angel’s plan includes having Giles have to continuously wear a Crown of Coils on his head or else he’d decompose?
    No, once Giles has his soul back in his body he won't need to wear the crown because he'd be alive again by that point. The crown is only needed to be used once, to heal the dead tissue so that Angel is putting the soul into a fresh body instead of a decomposing one. Giles would not need to continuously wear the crown. The drug lord was going to rot again because his soul had moved on.

Now, what might be an interesting question is what would happen if Angel wore the crown. Angel has a soul and the purpose of the crown is to restore dead tissue. Would this turn him human?

I was a little annoyed that after Angel decapitated that lizard demon he said that it wouldn't hold them off for long. Yet when he faced those guys that were regenerating because of the Mohra blood, he's able to kill them with decapitation and mentions that it's the only way to permanently kill regenerators. It's been previously implied that decapitation could kill a vampire who has had that magical heart transplant or even the Ring of Amara. I'm going to fanwank it that the lizard demon that chased them out of the cave was a different one to the demon that Angel decapitated.

* On the plane, Angel is on the aisle seat next to Faith. He has a sweatshirt on with the hood up.
    Another prime example of vampire sun resistance fluctuating when the plot needs it to. A vampire using a hoodie to survive sunlight is something that would not have happened in the early seasons. It's a little silly to be honest, I would have liked Angel to be wearing sunglasses at least. I imagine that they eyes would be especially sensitive.

* Did that conversation with Giles actually happen, or is that all in Faith’s head?
    Faith spent most of season 8 with Giles as a mentor to lost Slayers and this series is filled with Giles flashbacks. I don't know why you would assume that this flashback is something that Faith is just imagining rather than something that did literally happen.

It tells us far more about Faith's state of mind and her relationship with Giles if its something that actually happened rather than just a daydream. I don't know why you would get that impression at all... Do you think some of the flashbacks from the show were just daydreams?

Why wouldn’t she want guidance from Buffy?

Yeah, this one is too silly to even bother refuting

And she’s betraying Buffy by not telling her of the Giles resurrection plan.
    Yeah, you need to get past the idea that Buffy is their god. Faith is an independent person who can do as she pleases. Buffy isn't automatically the boss of everyone, especially Faith. There are many reasons why Faith would not want to inform Buffy of the resurrection. Faith may still want the option to change her mind at the last minute, the spell could go wrong and they may have to put down zombie-Giles in which case telling Buffy would only be painful.

Timeline: at least they aren’t Beats by Dr. Dre.
    Regarding the timeline, again this is something that you need to get past. The story takes place in "comic book time" which means that if the issue is released tomorrow, it takes place in "present day", and if the issue is delayed for two years it still takes place in "present day". Season 8 took place about a year after Chosen and while season 7 may have had a set year for the story to take place, the comics don't. Comics take longer to make than an episode of TV and unlike TV the characters don't have to age. So you should stop trying to pin down what year this takes place in. It's "comic book time" and there is no definitive year for the story. The story will make current pop culture references and use current technology because that's what works for the story, it's not a statement on when specifically the story is supposed to be set.

* It takes both Angel and Faith to lift the stone lid of the sarcophagus and they both strained to do it.

In “Something Blue” (4.09), Buffy and Spike easily lifted such a lid and carried it to a door.

In “Blood Ties” (5.13), Spike at one end of the stap lifts and tosses a lid several feet away and it wasn’t a struggle.

Unless Giles’ sarcophagus lid was unnaturally heavy, this suggests that Buffy and Spike combined are stronger than Angel and Faith combined and that an enraged Spike can have bursts of strength that are more than Angel and Faith’s combined ‘normal’ strength.

I really think I should put the bolded part as my signature, it really is that hilarious.

The writers don't care or think about these kind of "powerlevels" for the characters. It's more dramatic and symbolic if Angel and Faith lift the lid together because they are in this story, this journey together. If Faith or Angel lifted the lid by themselves, the symbolism would imply inequality to how much they are committed to this plan. Them straining to lift the lid can be interpreted as symbolic of how much effort they have been through in the pursuit of this plan. The symbolism here is more important than the stats of each character and how much they can bench press.

But if you need to fanwank an actual, literal reason then we could say that Angel and Faith are trying to lift the lid quickly and quietly unlike the examples you gave. Also take into account that they are reaching down into a grave to pull it out, they aren't pushing at something that's on the same level as them like the examples you gave with Spike. And hey, maybe Giles lid really was made out of something heavier. And since this is a comic and they were lifting it in a single panel, you don't know how much effort they were actually exerting to lift the lid. It's up to the reader to interpret how long they were straining for or how hard. All you've got to go by is the look on their faces -you don't know how long it actually took them to lift it or how sore their muscles were afterwards.

Also, you don't know how much direction in this scene actually came from Joss Whedon himself. Do you think that in the script there was a note attatched from Joss saying "remember to depict Angel and Faith straining to lift together because they aren't as strong as Spike"? Somehow I doubt it. Maybe it was Gage's choice to have them lift the lid together. As for the strained look on their faces, you don't know that came from Whedon, hell you don't even know it came from Gage. Maybe it could have been an artistic choice that came purely from Rebecca Issacs. Maybe Issacs would have been thinking how to best depict the scene artistically rather than concerning herself with the "stats" of the characters. I very much doubt that Whedon, Gage or Issacs wanted to stress the importance of Spike being stronger than a combined Angel and Faith...

* It seems odd that when they lifted the coffin, Angel and Faith didn’t notice that it was a little light.
    For two people with superstrength, I doubt the weight of a decomposed body would make that much difference when they are lifting an entire coffin. And again, you've missed the point of the scene artistically. If they noticed the weight of the coffin was wrong right away, that would have robbed the scene of the dramatic reveal where the coffin is opened and there's no body. The punch of that shot is more important than having Angel and Faith spoil that moment by noticing something is wrong too early in the scene.

* Does Faith not know about teleportation? Someone could have magically teleported Giles’ body out of the coffin.
    Magicless world.

* The big showdown between Nadira and Faith over Faith’s keeping Angel’s whereabouts a secret and Faith being friends with Angel amounted to Nadira scolding Faith for around two minutes and then breaking ties with Faith.
    That's a pretty big deal considering that aside from Angel, Nadira is the only person Faith feels close to right now.

* Nadira to Faith: “[T]he two of you fought Drusilla back to back, in a burning church in front of dozens of witnesses.”

First off, this implies that Nadira seems to consider that Angel and Faith would need to fight together in order to try to defeat Drusilla.
    Uh, no. Nadira is just repeating the information that was told to her. Angel and Faith fighting back to back includes Drusilla, the Lorophange demon, the dozens of human and handful of vampires that were hanging out with Dru. Nadira is not talking about how awesome Drusilla is, in fact she is blaming Angel for not taking care of Drusilla himself which she considers him capable of doing.

Secondly, this implies that the “witnesses” are those that Dru was helping and that none of them was okay with Angel killing the Lorophage demon and none were okay with Angel and Faith trying to fight Dru.
    Drusilla was not helping those people, she was giving them an artificial fix by taking away their guilt and pain with a demon instead of allowing them to deal with their problems properly. Drusilla was offering them a cheap shortcut. Faith may have no longer felt the pain of her father hurting her, but this lets him off the hook too easily and opens up the door for him to hurt her again and would require Faith to get another fix from the Lorophange demon. So it's not a long term solution or healthy way of dealing with ones problems. Also, Angel was right when he said that Faith had become less when the Lorophange took away her guilt over her murders because killing someone is something that you should feel guilt over and that's a concept that Drusilla is incapable of understanding. Christos Gage has said that Drusilla's methods make the people "less human" by taking away their guilt and pain.

Furthermore, who gives a crap if Drusilla's groupies were "not okay" with Angel killing the Lorophange demon? Angel killed it while defending himself. The Lorophange was about to drain Angel against his will. He had every right to defend himself against this demon.

* Nadira to Faith: “[Angel] murdered an entire unit of Slayers last year. My sisters.”

This is new information. Nadira doesn’t mention Pearl and Nash. She says Angel himself murdered this unit. If so, this refutes any argument that Angel wasn’t directly killing people in BtVS S8.
    As vampmogs said, this is a reference to issue #1 where Angel is watching Nash and Pearl butcher the Slayers. It would be like someone saying that Hitler killed over 5 million Jews, that doesn't mean that he killed them personally with his own hands, but he is being held accountable because they were killed on his orders. So no, this is not new information and it does not contradict information from season 8 that states that Angel didn't kill any Slayers with his own hands. Yes, he had them killed by Nash and Pearl and that's still horrible. But Angel didn't go around personally killing them, this is a reference to Slayers being killed on Angel's orders. Unless of course any time you hear about Hitler killing millions of Jews you think he did that with his own hands...

* Faith to Nadira: “He was under the influence of Twilight. Which I know you think was him, but it was, like, this massive cosmic force of -- Jesus, even I don’t understand it…”

First off, does Faith actually believe this? If she did, why wouldn’t she be telling Nadira and Co. this from the start?

Has Angel told Faith this?

Or is Faith simply trying to rationalize Angel and her to Nadira?

Is Faith trying to rationalize to herself her helping Angel?

Anyway, given A&F 1.11, what Faith says isn’t true.
    In issue #1 its stated that sometimes Angel was so under Twilight's control that he doesn't even remember certain stuff that happened such as Nash and Peal killing Nadira's Slayer unit. Why wouldn't Faith tell Nadira this from the beginning? Well for starters she didn't even want Nadira to know that she was associating with Angel. Secondly, that still doesn't make it okay. Angel may have been under the influence or possessed at times, but that still doesn't let him off the hook because he's the one who put himself in that position to begin with. In issue #1 he even says that he should have asked more questions and knew at points that he should have backed away but he chose to push forward. He was under the influence and possessed at certain points during season 8.

Faith is possibly out of earshot – or wasn’t paying attention – when in A&F 1.11 Angel tells Willow: “Once we’d given the Twilight universe form, I was going to bring everyone over!” Angel speaks to Willow as if he’s responsible for everything that happened until Twilight literally possessed him. So, Angel wasn’t under any influence when he killed the Slayers.
    That doesn't contradict the face that Angel was under the influence and sometimes possessed.

Willow in A&F 1.11 is told by Angel that he would have brought everyone into Twilight. Whether she believes that or not is another debate. But the fact is that she doesn’t seem to know for sure that Angel wanted everyone to die.
    He didn't want "everyone" to die, he figured that he could bring most people over to Twilight. He certainly would not have wanted Connor or Gunn to die. He knew that there would be bloodshed, but he didn't know that the death toll would be so high or that things on earth would escalate so quickly once the Twilight dimension was formed. This does not make Angel in the right or excuse his actions, he was still firmly in the wrong but he did not want to kill "everyone" on earth like you want to imply.

* Nadira then accuses Angel of letting Dru go.

What does Nadira mean? That Angel didn’t want Faith and him to kill Dru?

* Angel to Nadira: “I didn’t [let Dru go.] Her followers attacked us. She ran. We tried to find her, but hey were chasing us. By the time we lost them, there was nothing we could [do].”

Angel’s pretty much trying to lie his way out of the situation. Angel did not to try to dust Dru. Angel was only there to try to keep Faith mentally unstable and miserable.
    We don't know what Angel would have done to Dru if he caught her. We do know that Angel couldn't get to her because the crowd of followers did attack Angel and Faith. So Angel is not lying here.

By the way, once they realize Angel can’t or is unwilling to help them, why couldn’t they try to dust Angel? They could always come back with more Slayers if they think that the five of them couldn’t take on Angel and Faith. Nadira left the house threatening Angel, but who knows what will come of that.
    They aren't going to dust Angel on the spot because he's got knowledge and resources that could help them resurrect Marianne. He may not be able to do it right away, but they are giving him a chance to figure it out because they don't know if things with Giles will pan out. If they dust Angel and then discover that Giles can't help them then they are pretty much screwed, no? Better not to dust Angel just yet.

And yes, I believe that five Slayers could more than likely take down Angel and Faith. I think Nadira is pretty badass.

* Nadira to Angel: “Of course not. You kill demons and monsters and elder gods like you’re swatting bloody flies. But one vampire keeps getting away from you. One vampire you “sired.” Isn’t that what you leeches call it? One vampire you shagged. One vampire you spent a hundred years slaughtering people with. Now another girl’s dead. One more body on the pile. And here you are, full of excuses, reasons why it’s not your damn fault--”

Who is telling Nadira this stuff? What elder gods? Angel was with Dru for 18 years. Does Nadira know about Darla? I wonder how she’d handle Angel/Darla of AtS s2 and AtS s3. Or even Angel/Darla in BtVS S1. Does Nadira know about Spike?
    Elder gods could be a reference to Jasmine, Illyria, James (from the IDW ongoing) Rowant Mor (also IDW), Twilight-cat, Twilight-Buffy, Quor-Toth, Whistler (he's half PTB), Olvikan-Wilkins, Seed-Master or the Hellmouth Spawn. It's true that Angel didn't actually kill any of these people, and he certainly didn't deal with them like swatting flies but Nadira is likely exaggerating for effect and due to grief. And all this information is second hand news to her, she didn't see any of it herself.

Anyway, Dru was being peaceful and helping.
    Nope, she was doing it for the free blood and the groupies. The people weren't being helped properly no matter how much you want to believe.

It’s Angel’s fault that she’s insane again.
    Angel was defending himself against the Lorophange demon. It's Drusilla's fault for getting the demon on him. And regardless of whose fault it is, the fact remains that Drusilla is now insane, evil and needs to be put down.

And if Dru killed Slayers, she did it because they were trying to attack her. So, Nadira has the wrong reasons for being against how Angel tried to handle the Drusilla situation in A&F.
    You don't know that the Slayers were trying to attack her. It could have easily been Drusilla attacking the Slayers. And even if the Slayers were trying to attack her, so what? She's a vampire, they are Slayers. As Vampmogs says it would be like saying that the Master was justified in killing Buffy because she attacked first. It doesn't matter who started it, Dru's a vampire. She's now insane again which means that she's a threat to everyone around her. She wasn't killing currently because of her newfound sanity which is now gone. And even if she never kills again (something I find very hard to believe) she's still earned herself the death sentance hundreds of times over due to past actions. So no, I can't feel sorry for Drusilla here and I won't see Marianne as the bad guy.

* Faith says the Slayer they brought in that Dru killed wasn’t a good Slayer.

So, this possibly explains why Dru was able to kill her so easily.
    I do prefer it that Drusilla killed a subpar Slayer rather than what we saw in the previews to her (now cancelled) miniseries where she was able to effortlessly plow through three of them. I'm glad that didn't make it into the canon.

Then again, Drusilla very easily killed Kendra and very little indicates that Faith wouldn’t also be killed by Dru in a fight. A&F 1.09 suggests not only that Drusilla is stronger than Faith but that she’d beat Faith even if Faith were armed with a sword or stake.
    No, nothing indicates that Drusilla is stronger than Faith or that she'd beat her in an uninterrupted fight to the death. That's your personal interpretation, not something that was suggested in the issue with any degree of solidity that the rest of us should take seriously. If Drusilla weren't using her hypnosis I'd place my bets on Faith.

* Does Nadira not know about magic works and how a person is not supposed to come back from a natural death?
    Even if she does know this, she knows that Angel is close to finding a way around it with Giles.

And was Andrew lying about that foundation he said he created? Why are there homeless Slayers? Do these homeless Slayers not know about the job opportunities that Slayers are getting (like being bodyguards)?
    Andrew's foundation is unlikely to find every single last Slayer who needs help. He might help as many as he can, but it's unlikely that he could help everyone especially those in other countries.

Kennedy's company is based in the US and therefore largely useless to Slayers who live in England. Also, one of Kennedy's conditions is that they give up slaying which is probably not something that Nadira and her Slayers would want.

* If a powerful witch or warlock can be brought back from the dead, why wouldn’t Willow have brought Tara back?
    A good question. This idea that Giles can be brought back from a natural death even in a magicless world because he had ties to magic just opens up more questions. Because yes, Tara and Doyle and Wesley and Cordelia also had ties to magic. It really makes no sense that Giles soul would scatter into objects. We've seen Cordelia visit a few times from the afterlife and it was implied that Tara is in heavan. This plot point makes no sense really.

How would Angel know about such a spell if apparently even Willow doesn’t?
    Exactly. On a slightly related not, this is why your idea about Spike casting the Acathla-forcefeild spell is so silly.

And does Angel not know about Tara? Why wouldn’t he have told Angel about the resurrection spell he’s going to use on Giles?
    Angel never met Tara. I find it unlikely that he knew about her.

* We never find out the “one important thing that makes Giles different from anyone else. That kept his soul from moving on when he--.”
    I'd like to know the end of this sentence. For it to make sense it would have to be something that made Giles different from Wesley, Cordelia, Doyle, Tara and Jenny.

* Nadira decks Angel. She has stake on her. So, why is Angel so casual with her when she has an easy access stake on her hip?
    What do you mean by "casual"? And what do you expect Angel to do, run upstairs and hide under the bed?

It seems that they could have demanded that Faith give them housing.
    Yeah, I'm with Vampmogs, I don't see how they can "demand" what Faith does with her money and her property.

And why didn’t Angel offer money to Nadira and Co. to help out homeless Slayers. He should still have at least hundreds of thousands and possibly millions of dollars from his monies from Angel Investigations and his Wolfram and Hart compensation.
    I don't think Nadira would accept money from Angel. She would see it as an insult and I'm sure Angel knows this.

* Nadira doesn’t know what Giles looks like?
    I doubt she ever met him.
    Last edited by Vampire in Rug; 28-12-12 at 10:38 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

vampmogs (28-12-12)

Thanks

vampmogs

* My quote: “Faith is concerned with even members of a drug cartel getting proper burials and having their families notified.

Yet she’s helping a guy responsible for possibly millions to hundreds of millions of deaths.”

My point is Faith seems to care about “even members of a drug cartel getting” killed, yet “she’s helping a guy responsible for possibly millions to hundreds of millions of deaths”.

* My quote: “It takes both Angel and Faith to lift the stone lid of the sarcophagus and they both strained to do it.

In “Blood Ties” (5.13), Spike at one end of the slab lifts and tosses a lid several feet away and it wasn’t a struggle.

Unless Giles’ sarcophagus lid was unnaturally heavy, this suggests that Buffy and Spike combined are stronger than Angel and Faith combined and that an enraged Spike can have bursts of strength that are more than Angel and Faith’s combined ‘normal’ strength.”

That can’t be argued against and it seems you only had a problem with the “an enraged Spike can have bursts of strength that are more than Angel and Faith’s combined ‘normal’ strength.”, which is simply either character bias against Spike and/or you not knowing about strength works.

* My quote: Nadira to Faith: “[T]he two of you fought Drusilla back to back, in a burning church in front of dozens of witnesses.”

First off, this implies that Nadira seems to consider that Angel and Faith would need to fight together in order to try to defeat Drusilla.”

Nadira did not say something like “The two of fought Drusilla and her loyal followers/mob back to back.” She calls Drusilla’s loyal followers “dozens of witnesses”, not people also against Angel and Faith and fighting against Angel and Faith.

* A&F S9 Nadira probably wouldn’t much mind if both Angel and Faith died while trying to kill Drusilla. Albeit I remember Christos Gage wrote Spike acting as if Uncursed Angel was a threat on the level of someone like Glory or Full-Powered Illyria; consequently, maybe Nadira did assume Angel and Faith could kill Drusilla. Notice how I said “Angel and Faith”—Nadira didn’t say Angel alone should have been able to kill Dru.

* Angel’s words aren’t automatically fact. Angel lied to Willow about the events in Twilight and Angel almost certainly lied to Faith regarding his culpability as AngelTwilight.

The only time we know Angel was under at least some “influence of Twilight” was when Twilight possessed him in BtVS 8.38(?) through BtVS 8.40.

* Drusilla was helping her followers, they considered she was and she was. Dru was being peaceful and following Harmony’s Rules. It’s Angel’s fault that Dru’s insane again.

* Unless you are arguing that Angel should have let Nadira dust him, you have zero valid arguments regarding being against Drusilla’s killing Slayers in self-defense.

* Do you actually consider that ANGEL was more deserving of Faith’s financial assets and property than homeless Slayers were?

If anyone told a member of the UK Government, Interpol, the FBI, the US Government, the CIA, etc. who Faith was housing aka Twilight, Faith would be in serious legal troubles and probably rightly executed.

It’s quite telling that you consider Drusilla was evil for helping her followers and yet Faith is perfectly fine to be Angel’s benefactor yet Faith doesn’t need to do anything to help homeless Slayers.

Vampire in Rug

* A&F S9 gave around zero reasons why Angel shouldn’t have been killed after BtVS 8.40. The reason came up with in Season 10 is Giles’s suddenly being more magically powerful than Dark Willow was, which is asinine and makes around zero sense.

I'll never understand why you're so hung up on details like the characters bank accounts, or the social status their wealth can buy them.
    Did you forget BtVS S3? BtVS S6? AtS s3? AtS s5? Really all of the TV Whedonverse? This: “characters bank accounts, or the social status their wealth can buy them” is an important part of the TV Whedonvere and life in general.

- “Inside Out” (A 4.17) made Angel’s getting the Hyperion Hotel make sense.

- It isn’t difficult to understand how Angel could have the money for his apartments and clothes and furniture: Angel could have money from his Angelus days and Angel didn’t have wives, kids, and heirs.

- Angel could have been simply squatting in the Sunnydale mansion and maybe he was then renting.

- Buffy in BtVS S6 only needed money for property damage, bills, etc. It was never implied that she had to buy her own clothes, buy health insurance for Dawn and herself, etc. I’ve always reasoned that Hank Summers was paying Buffy’s credit card bills and was giving some money beyond and/or Buffy adopted Dawn or was Dawn’s guardian and thus getting government money for taking care of Dawn.

The school nerds are attractive guys.
    Huh? What school nerds are attractive guys? Warren Meers was dating Katrina. Andrew Wells didn’t seem much into girls. Jonathan Levinson isn’t an attractive guy. Xander Harris got with Cordelia Chase.

* It doesn’t seem Spike and Drusilla sweat. It wouldn’t be too difficult for they to be well-groomed.

I very much doubt that the writers have thought extensively about what Drusilla's human social status was.
    Have you forgotten Drusilla and her backstory? “Drusilla's human social status” is a defining part of her character.

* Faith is spending money that Giles bequeathed her. It’s absolutely important if she’s buying Angel First Class airfare with that money.

* Faith should have informed Buffy and Co. of the Giles resurrection plan.

Faith called Buffy The Slayer and acknowledges Buffy as having such jurisdiction. Faith’s not informing Buffy and Co. of the Giles resurrection plan is simply a symptom of Faith’s mollycoddling Angel.

* It’s is fact that the writers care about the power levels of the characters and it’s beyond silly to argue otherwise.

* Angel and Faith lift the sarcophagus lid together because they needed to lift it together.

Them straining to lift the lid can be interpreted as symbolic of how much effort they have been through in the pursuit of this plan.
    That’s not how strength and lifting works.

then we could say that Angel and Faith are trying to lift the lid quickly and quietly
    That’s not how strength and lifting works.

Also take into account that they are reaching down into a grave to pull it out, they aren't pushing at something that's on the same level as them like the examples you gave with Spike.
    That’s not how strength and lifting works. Maybe you’ve never done any weightlifting. And Spike didn’t push the lid: another scene you’ve perhaps misremembered and/or forgotten.

Also, you don't know how much direction in this scene actually came from Joss Whedon himself. Do you think that in the script there was a note attatched from Joss saying "remember to depict Angel and Faith straining to lift together because they aren't as strong as Spike"?
    Are you suggesting that A&F S9 isn’t canon?

Maybe it was Gage's choice to have them lift the lid together. As for the strained look on their faces, you don't know that came from Whedon, hell you don't even know it came from Gage. Maybe it could have been an artistic choice that came purely from Rebecca Issacs.
    Now you’re suggesting that no one looks over the artwork before the comic is published?

* I didn’t say Spike is stronger than Faith and Angel combined: that’s a straw man argument (SMA).

* Drusilla’s followers were there and grateful to her because medicine and therapy weren’t enough to deal with their emotional and psychological problems. Your saying this: “Drusilla was not helping those people, she was giving them an artificial fix by taking away their guilt and pain with a demon instead of allowing them to deal with their problems properly.” is incredibly insensitive and incredibly insulting and disparaging to anyone who could benefit from something like the Lorophage demon.

* Faith would have been mentally healthy if the Lorophage demon were used on her. Faith had many more emotional and psychological problems than her Daddy Issues.

Also, Angel was right when he said that Faith had become less when the Lorophange took away her guilt over her murders because killing someone is something that you should feel guilt over and that's a concept that Drusilla is incapable of understanding. Christos Gage has said that Drusilla's methods make the people "less human" by taking away their guilt and pain.
    I remember Christos Gage also said that Angel was redeemed before A&F S9 began. I remember how Angel and peoples’ reactions to Angel are written in A&F S9 and BtVS S10. Angel himself in A&F S9 not only considered he only needed to feel bad about killing Giles, the Giles resurrection plan main goal for Angel was the possible renewed chance for Buffy/Angel.

Furthermore, who gives a crap if Drusilla's groupies were "not okay" with Angel killing the Lorophange demon? Angel killed it while defending himself. The Lorophange was about to drain Angel against his will. He had every right to defend himself against this demon.
    Again, that is incredibly insensitive and incredibly insulting and disparaging to anyone who could benefit from something like the Lorophage demon. In addition, I’d be willing to bet that you don’t consider Drusilla should have killed Slayers in self-defense.

* What is in BtVS S8 is canon. What is canon is Angel was willing to let the entire world and all its life be destroyed if it resulted in Buffy’s staying in Twilight with him. What is canon it that Angel was actively trying to prevent Buffy from wanting to leave Twilight to help her friends and the world. What is canon is that Angel didn’t tell Buffy about anyone else being able to be brought into Twilight. What is canon is that Angel didn’t try to bring Buffy’s friends and family into Twilight. What is canon is Angel wanted Buffy to let her friends and family die.

Angel lied to Willow in A&F S9. Angel tried to make himself seem a hero while in Twilight and Buffy the villain for wanting to leave Twilight.

* After Angel and Faith left the church, Faith wanted to pursue Drusilla and try to dust her (another demerit on Faith given Faith is mollycoddling Angel). Angel didn’t want to pursue Drusilla and Angel didn’t want Faith to try to kill Dru. It’s made clear that Angel cares about Dru and likely still loves Dru.

* Drusilla does not “need to be put down”. It’s cost-benefit analysis. Buffy didn’t even pursue Harmony Kendall at the end of “Crush” (B 5.14). Buffy since “Becoming Part II” (B 2.22) has known that trying to dust Dru would be bad for the world overall.

ANGEL needs to be put down. Dru hasn’t been even apocalyptically evil since BtVS S2. Angel’s been world-endingly evil since BtVS S2.

* Given you don’t want Angel dead, you have zero valid arguments regarding your considering Drusilla should be dusted. This is particularly provoking: “And even if [Drusilla] never kills again (something I find very hard to believe) she's still earned herself the death sentance hundreds of times over due to past actions.”

* My quote: “Then again, Drusilla very easily killed Kendra and very little indicates that Faith wouldn’t also be killed by Dru in a fight. A&F 9.09 suggests not only that Drusilla is stronger than Faith but that she’d beat Faith even if Faith were armed with a sword or stake.”

That is what is literally shown.

* My quote: “If a powerful witch or warlock can be brought back from the dead, why wouldn’t Willow have brought Tara back?”

It’s clear that the main reason—and probably only reason—for the Giles resurrection plan was to try to help the Buffy/Angel ‘ship. If someone could have been brought back from a natural death, Willow would have done it probably in BtVS S6 or BtVS S7 or BtVS S8.

* Willow did her first major spell in “Becoming Part II” (B 2.22). We already saw Spike do the spell to heal Drusilla. We already saw Spike hire the Order of Taraka, get the Judge together, etc. There’s little to suggest Spike wasn’t capable of ‘containing’ Acathla.

* Willow knew about the Fang Gang members. Willow even knew about Connor. Why wouldn’t Angel know about Tara?