Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76

Thread: Joss on Romney

  1. #1
    Graveyard Patrol BuffySpike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    383
    Thanked 185 Times in 127 Posts

    Default Joss on Romney

    Joss just posted his message to Romney voters.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TiXUF9xbTo



    he is hilarious.
    Last edited by BuffySpike; 28-10-12 at 10:35 PM.
    Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
    the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BuffySpike For This Useful Post:

    MikeB (08-11-12),Reddygirl (29-10-12),Rosely (14-11-12),vampmogs (29-10-12)

  3. #2
    What? KingofCretins's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Big Honkin' Castle
    Posts
    13,390
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 3,368 Times in 1,595 Posts

    Default

    As political minds go, Joss Whedon is a fine television producer, writer, and feature film director. Also, I think this would probably have gone better in the election thread in the Boiler Room. +10 points for zombie humor, -10 points for not referencing the actual recurring campaigns to elect Zombie Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, etc.

    Banner by LRae12

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

    BuffySpike (29-10-12)

  5. #3
    Slayer Supporter vampmogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,819
    Thanks
    1,373
    Thanked 6,158 Times in 1,865 Posts

    Default

    Best line:

    "Am I ready? Mitt's ready. He's not afraid to face a ravening, grasping horde of subhumans. 'Cause that's how he sees poor people already."

    Brilliant
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

    BuffySpike (29-10-12),MikeB (08-11-12),Miss Kitty (29-10-12),Reddygirl (29-10-12),shipperx (13-12-12),TimeTravellingBunny (29-10-12)

  7. #4
    What? KingofCretins's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Big Honkin' Castle
    Posts
    13,390
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 3,368 Times in 1,595 Posts

    Default

    Man, do I have so many more pointed thoughts on Joss' opinion on politics, wealth, what should be done with it by whom, and it takes a summoning of all my will not to just unload them. Even posting this at all is just a small way of venting it. Anyone ever use the "preview post" button as a cone of silence?

    Banner by LRae12

  8. #5
    Graveyard Patrol BuffySpike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    383
    Thanked 185 Times in 127 Posts

    Default

    I agree Vampmogs that was a particularly hilarious line.

    My favourite line and its not even political:

    "hmmm, spam has it's own key"

    That is Xander/Andrew Im sorry.
    Last edited by BuffySpike; 29-10-12 at 03:48 AM.
    Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
    the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

  9. #6
    ninja scientist Ehlwyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,335
    Thanks
    1,580
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 720 Posts

    Default

    KingOfCretins feel free to add your political thoughts in the boiler room either to the presidential thread,or if you think necessary, create a new thread. Though do link to this thread so it can be a place to speak on the creative elements of this short film.

    Lydia made the punch!

  10. #7
    Evil Twin PointMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    Thanks
    232
    Thanked 259 Times in 189 Posts

    Default

    I think perhaps Mr. Whedon should stick to writing/directing and leave the political commentary to the well informed people. But to be fair I'm always loathe to listen to lectures on economics and poverty from celebrities, be they conservative or liberal.
    Last edited by PointMan; 31-10-12 at 07:29 AM.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

  11. #8
    Slayer zianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,274
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 422 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    I think perhaps Mr. Whedon should stick to writing/directing and leave the political commentary to the well informed people. But to be fair I'm always loathe to listen to lectures on economics and poverty from celebrities, be they conservative or liberal.
    And you know that how? That he is not well informed? Have you discussed with him to hear what he knows and how well informed he is?

    And btw, since he votes and he pays taxes and he is a part of that country he has every right to judge, and speak, and say his opinion. It's me, for example, that I don't have the right to do that, since I don't live or vote there.

    Banner by Moscow Watcher

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zianna For This Useful Post:

    BlasterBoy (09-11-12),MikeB (08-11-12),shipperx (13-12-12),vampmogs (31-10-12)

  13. #9
    Slayer TimeTravellingBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5,390
    Thanks
    4,469
    Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,659 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    I think perhaps Mr. Whedon should stick to writing/directing and leave the political commentary to the well informed people. But to be fair I'm always loathe to listen to lectures on economics and poverty from celebrities, be they conservative or liberal.
    I always find this type of condescension funny. "Shut up kid (well, adult in this case), you're not allowed to have an opinion on the world you live in and the important matters in the society. Leave it to your elders (metaphorically speaking here, obviously) who should be the ones to decide what happens to everyone."

    Out of curiosity, who are the "well informed people", in your opinion? Whedon doesn't live in a cave with no human contact and no access to any media, so I'm pretty sure he's as well informed as anyone. And who do you like to listen to lectures on poverty from? Does a person have to have a degree in economy to be allowed to notice that there are poor people out there and that this is kind of a problem, or...?

    However, since in US as in any other country with a democratic system, every adult is allowed to vote in elections, I'd say that the law is not on your side here since it says that every adult citizen's political opinion matters. Unless the law is changed so that only a select few get to vote, the law doesn't support your view that people aren't allowed to have an opinion on politics except for the chosen few.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

    Foyboy (01-11-12),MikeB (08-11-12),shipperx (13-12-12),vampmogs (31-10-12)

  15. #10
    Slayer Supporter vampmogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,819
    Thanks
    1,373
    Thanked 6,158 Times in 1,865 Posts

    Default

    Uninformed = Democrats
    Well-informed = Republicans

    Apparently

    I'd hazard a guess and say that a guy like Whedon is probably pretty up to date on his politics and is, at the very least, about as well-informed as your average citizen, and clearly passionate enough to make a video like this.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 31-10-12 at 12:59 PM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

    Gemini9857 (08-11-12),shipperx (13-12-12)

  17. #11
    Evil Twin PointMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    Thanks
    232
    Thanked 259 Times in 189 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Uninformed = Democrats
    Well-informed = Republicans

    Apparently

    I'd hazard a guess and say that a guy like Whedon is probably pretty up to date on his politics and is, at the very least, about as well-informed as your average citizen, and clearly passionate enough to make a video like this.
    Thats right, despite me specifically saying I don't like to see it from either side I must obviously be biased against democrats.

    Mocking his opinion is not the same thing as saying he doesn't have a right to it. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism if you say something stupid.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

  18. #12
    Graveyard Patrol BuffySpike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    383
    Thanked 185 Times in 127 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    Thats right, despite me specifically saying I don't like to see it from either side I must obviously be biased against democrats.

    Mocking his opinion is not the same thing as saying he doesn't have a right to it. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism if you say something stupid.
    He has every right to say what he wants to say about the opposing party. If he was doing it for the Republicans would you still be saying the same thing?


    Joss is only spreading the same message that about 50% of Republican's did when a black man was elected president four years ago. If i remember correctly they said he was the anti christ, that it was the end of the world, the bible was coming true etc etc They probably really did start hoarding canned goods. The only difference here is that Joss is not actually being literal about the "zombie apocalypse" It's a joke.

    I love it, within one video, he spreads a positive message about the Libs, and also makes fun of the mindset of 50% of republicans at the time Obama was elected.."its the end of days yall! Obama is the devil!". Genius.
    Last edited by BuffySpike; 03-11-12 at 10:18 AM.
    Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
    the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

  19. #13
    Scooby Gang
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 83 Times in 52 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffySpike View Post

    Joss is only spreading the same message that about 50% of Republican's did when a black man was elected president four years ago. If i remember correctly they said he was the anti christ, that it was the end of the world, the bible was coming true etc etc They probably really did start hoarding canned goods. The only difference here is that Joss is not actually being literal about the "zombie apocalypse" It's a joke.
    I vote more democrat, but this is rather excessive and obnoxious. It runs in the same boat as this...

    Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Uninformed = Democrats
    Well-informed = Republicans

    Apparently
    Except its

    Humanitarian= Democrat
    Racist Bigots= Republican

    Being from the south, I'm surrounded by Republicans. Heck, 99% of my family are Republicans and/or dislike Obama, but none of them have negative feelings for him because of his race or some false assumptions about his religion. I'm not denying that there are racist out there who do think that way, but lumping half of the Republican base into that category is unfair, imo.

    Heck, Friday on my FB account I saw a few democratic friends discussing how Mormonism was a cult and I thought that was a stupid assumption to make against religion in question as I did when Muslim was used negatively against Obama.

    And honestly, I have never been a fan of celebrities endorsements. By Democrats or Republicans. To me its too much of a form of peer pressure and propaganda rather than informing because far too many people will only vote or think a certain way because this "cool person" said so. Whether its George Clooney or Clint Eastwood, they all make me roll my eyes. I'd much rather see celebrities encourage people to vote and to research the candidates to make an inform decision on there own.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to tiger_fan For This Useful Post:

    PointMan (03-11-12)

  21. #14
    Evil Twin PointMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    Thanks
    232
    Thanked 259 Times in 189 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffySpike View Post
    He has every right to say what he wants to say about the opposing party. If he was doing it for the Republicans would you still be saying the same thing?
    Newflash; There are racists in every party, group, social club, etc. There are people who voted for Obama solely because he was black and there are also people who voted for his opposition solely because Obama was black. Unlike you though I won't throw out some random number without the facts to back it up.

    I can't help but think that a lot of people on this board don't actually read an entire post before responding to it. How else can you explain the fact that despite me saying in every post that I don't care for celebrity endorsements from either side people are still accusing me of bias.

    TigerFan: You remind me of my friend Dave. He's a dem like most of my friends but unlike the others I can actually have civil discussions with him about politics. He doesn't spout party rhetoric like the others and I know that even though we disagree on a number of things we each respect the others opinion.
    Last edited by PointMan; 03-11-12 at 04:22 PM.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

  22. #15
    Graveyard Patrol BuffySpike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    383
    Thanked 185 Times in 127 Posts

    Default

    I was only joking and being sarcastic with the second point. Sorry PointMan I didn't actually read where you said that you didn't like celebrity endorsements.

    As an outsider looking in on the USA, the Republicans really do not come off in a good light. I'll be perfectly honest about that. They come across as backward and closed minded and racist. I understand that a lot of them are not but the images we are shown of them, they all come across as people who have an issue with Obama's race.
    Last edited by BuffySpike; 03-11-12 at 09:48 PM.
    Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
    the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

  23. #16
    Slayer Supporter vampmogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,819
    Thanks
    1,373
    Thanked 6,158 Times in 1,865 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    I can't help but think that a lot of people on this board don't actually read an entire post before responding to it. How else can you explain the fact that despite me saying in every post that I don't care for celebrity endorsements from either side people are still accusing me of bias.
    Ah, I read all of your post, I just don't see what it had to do with the point I was making? I was reacting to you saying that Whedon should "leaving political commentary to the well-informed people." Unless you have some special insight into Whedon that the rest of us don't and you know how informed about politics he actually is, it's a rather bizarre statement to make and one can only assume it's because he's expressing political opinions that you don't agree with.

    If what you're trying to say is that ALL celebrities aren't "well-informed", well, I completely disagree with that too. I can think of a number of celebrities that I imagine are far more well-informed than your average American citizen and it's odd that you assume they would be uninformed just because they're famous. Celebrities have a right to express their opinion just like anybody else.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 04-11-12 at 06:49 AM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

    Thomas (04-11-12),TimeTravellingBunny (04-11-12),Vampire in Rug (03-11-12)

  25. #17
    Evil Twin PointMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    Thanks
    232
    Thanked 259 Times in 189 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Ah, I read all of your post, I just don't see what it had to do with the point I was making? I was reacting to you saying that Whedon should "leaving political commentary to the well-informed people." Unless you have some special insight into Whedon that the rest of us don't and you know how informed about politics he actually is, it's a rather bizarre statement to make and one can only assume it's because he's expressing political opinions that you don't agree with.
    I was basing my opinion on the ridiculous arguments, however humorously posed, that Whedon was making in the video. They reminded me of the same things one would hear on the Daily show or spouted at a political rally. I didn't hear any well reasoned arguments. What I did hear is someone who is very much in love with the sound of his own voice and who just loves to pat himself on the back at how clever and funny he is.

    People seem to be misunderstanding what I am saying. When I say that celebrities shouldn't do stuff like this I am not saying that I want it to be outlawed or anything like that. I don't think people should smoke, but I don't want smoking outlawed. You can't legislate common sense. I do however believe that since celebrities have the ability to reach many more people than your average citizen, they have a responsibility to make sure they don't abuse that power.

    BuffySpike: It is a sad fact that the media in this country is very left leaning and for the most part will not hesitate to insert its bias in its "reporting". That is likely why conservatives come off looking so badly.
    Last edited by PointMan; 05-11-12 at 10:25 PM.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

  26. #18
    Slayer Supporter vampmogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,819
    Thanks
    1,373
    Thanked 6,158 Times in 1,865 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    They reminded me of the same things one would hear on the Daily show or spouted at a political rally.
    You say that like it's a bad thing! The Daily Show is pure awesome

    I didn't hear any well reasoned arguments. What I did hear is someone who is very much in love with the sound of his own voice and who just loves to pat himself on the back at how clever and funny he is.
    You're a conservative who also happens to have a strong dislike for Joss Whedon. Of course you don't think he made any well reasoned arguments. That's why people said you were biased. Just like I'm biased as I happen to share Whedon's distaste for Romney and the Republican Party in general. I don't see the point in pretending otherwise.

    BuffySpike: It is a sad fact that the media in this country is very left leaning and for the most part will not hesitate to insert its bias in its "reporting". That is likely why conservatives come off looking so badly.
    Whilst I don't disagree that the media is pretty left-leaning, IMO, the conservatives make it pretty easy for them. Comments from the likes of Santorum alone were enough to give the media a field day. Not all conservatives think the same so it would be unfair to lump everyone together but like BuffySpike, as an outsider looking, I think it's safe to say that Australian's in general don't have a positive opinion of your Republican politicians. Probably because the US's Right is way more extreme than anything we have here. A recent poll sampled 36 different countries and found that every single on of them, besides China, wanted Obama to win;

    Argentina: 83 % Obama, 17 % Romney
    Austria: 93 % Obama, 7 % Romney
    Belgium: 93 % Obama, 7 % Romney
    Brazil: 90 % Obama, 10 % Romney
    Canada: 83 % Obama, 17 % Romney
    Chile: 80 % Obama, 20 % Romney
    China: 48 % Obama, 52 % Romney
    Colombia: 77 % Obama, 23 % Romney
    Costa Rica: 83 % Obama, 17 % Romney
    Finland: 93 % Obama, 7 % Romney
    France: 88 % Obama, 12 % Romney
    Germany: 92 % Obama, 8 % Romney
    Greece: 82 % Obama, 18 % Romney
    Hong Kong: 85 % Obama, 15 % Romney
    India: 64 % Obama, 36 % Romney
    Indonesia: 87 % Obama, 13 % Romney
    Ireland: 86 % Obama, 14 % Romney
    Italy: 87 % Obama, 13 % Romney
    Japan: 75 % Obama, 25 % Romney
    Latin America: 79 % Obama, 21 % Romney
    Mexico: 88 % Obama, 12 % Romney
    Middle East: 79 % Obama, 21 % Romney
    Peru: 75 % Obama, 25 % Romney
    Philippines: 62 % Obama, 38 % Romney
    Poland: 64 % Obama, 36 % Romney
    Portugal: 94 % Obama, 6 % Romney
    Russia: 73 % Obama, 27 % Romney
    Singapore: 82 % Obama, 18 % Romney
    South Africa: 68 % Obama, 32 % Romney
    Spain: 82 % Obama, 18 % Romney
    Sweden: 90 % Obama, 10 % Romney
    Taiwan: 69 % Obama, 31 % Romney
    Thailand: 65 % Obama, 35 % Romney
    Turkey: 73 % Obama, 27 % Romney
    UK: 85 % Obama, 15 % Romney
    Venezuela: 77 % Obama, 23 % Romney
    Last edited by vampmogs; 05-11-12 at 10:54 PM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

    MikeB (08-11-12),Miss Kitty (06-11-12)

  28. #19
    Evil Twin PointMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    Thanks
    232
    Thanked 259 Times in 189 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing! The Daily Show is pure awesome
    For pure entertainment purposes? Sure. For serious political commentary and insight? Not so much.


    Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    You're a conservative who also happens to have a strong dislike for Joss Whedon. Of course you don't think he made any well reasoned arguments. That's why people said you were biased. Just like I'm biased as I happen to share Whedon's distaste for Romney and the Republican Party in general. I don't see the point in pretending otherwise.

    Well the difference between us is that I don't have a distaste for the other side. My friends are pretty much all liberals and we get along fine. What I do have a distaste for is ignorance and stupidity, and neither side can claim to be free of those things. I don't need to demonize the opposition nor do I want to. Neither side is ever going anywhere and the only way we're ever going to get anything done is to learn how to get along.


    Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Whilst I don't disagree that the media is pretty left-leaning, IMO, the conservatives make it pretty easy for them. Comments from the likes of Santorum alone were enough to give the media a field day. Not all conservatives think the same so it would be unfair to lump everyone together but like BuffySpike, as an outsider looking, I think it's safe to say that Australian's in general don't have a positive opinion of your Republican politicians. Probably because the US's Right is way more extreme than anything we have here.
    Idiots on both sides say idiotic things. Heck, Clinton just the other day accused the military of being racist, sexist and biased. I can go through the list of stupid things being on the left have said. I simply assume that people on either side with common sense recognize those individuals as not being indicative of the other side.
    Last edited by PointMan; 05-11-12 at 10:59 PM.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

  29. #20
    Slayer Supporter vampmogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,819
    Thanks
    1,373
    Thanked 6,158 Times in 1,865 Posts

    Default

    Problem is these "idiots" you speak of are the major faces of the Republican party. Bush? Palin? Santorum? Romney? They've all expressed views that are either extremely distasteful or just seem bizarre to a lot of us outside of the US. 8 years of the Bush administration did a lot of harm to how the rest of the world perceived the US. People's attitude towards America has undoubtedly become more positive since Obama took power and a lot of people have an extreme aversion to Romney and his views. It's easier to dismiss people lower in the ranks but it's a lot harder when you're faced with imbeciles (IMO) that are running for President, Vice President, or actually were President etc.

    You're right that not all Conservatives are the same and I said the same thing myself. But I don't think it really comes as a surprise to many people (or at least it shouldn't) that a lot of American's conservative views clash with the rest of the western world. Or a lot it, any way. Romney's views on healthcare, women's rights, class etc seem incredibly backwards and extreme to an outsider looking in. That's all I'm saying, and you can't really pin it all on the media for that.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 06-11-12 at 02:19 AM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •