Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Personal Canon

Thanks

Its always in my personal canon that not EVERYONE would have left Sunnydale before it collapsed. I mean that guy was still in his house.

I also feel that there was some bonding time between Andrew and Dawn and Buffy and Andrew which happened in offscreen-ville
    Last edited by BuffySpike; 27-10-12 at 08:36 PM.
    Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
    the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike

Thanks
    Thanked 13,691 Times in 5,681 Posts

I have images now of Titanic-esque old dears huddled together just waiting to see it out.

Thanks

Ok is it wrong that made me laugh slightly?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,202 Times in 2,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BuffySpike View Post
    Its always in my personal canon that not EVERYONE would have left Sunnydale before it collapsed. I mean that guy was still in his house.

I also feel that there was some bonding time between Andrew and Dawn and Buffy and Andrew which happened in offscreen-ville
    S8 Spoilers

Spoiler:
    Well we know Amy and Warren didn't leave Sunnydale. General Voll's men find them down in the Sunnydale crater in #1!
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    S8 Spoilers

Spoiler:
    Well we know Amy and Warren didn't leave Sunnydale. General Voll's men find them down in the Sunnydale crater in #1!
    And the million dollar question is

Spoiler:
    what they were eating all those years?

Banner by Moscow Watcher

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zianna For This Useful Post:

Stoney (28-10-12)

Thanks

Personally I see the comics as canon but more like a spiritual successor. They don't really seem like a proper continuation of the show in my eyes. A sort of emotional reset button has been pushed with each character in the comics so that they could still develop the characters in a story sense after the show. By the end of season 7 they had all pretty much reached the end of their development. By the time the comics start and we meet our characters, what happened in S7 (in developmental terms) has gone back on itself for example
    Spoiler:
    the interactions between Buffy and Faith, the interactions between Spike and Buffy, the interactions between Dawn and Buffy
    and Joss did say that if he would continue the TV show from where it left off and could get the entire cast back for it he would be perfectly happy changing everything he has created with the comics, he would toss it aside with ease to take the show where he would want it to go. It wouldn't be the same. They are two very different mediums.
    Last edited by BuffySpike; 28-10-12 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks

That won't happen though . JM I'm sure has said that he doesn't feel he could play Spike anymore. And he is right, as great as he still looks, he has aged too far from the show for it to work now. Although they did just bravely ignored the blatant physical changes in DB that happened from BtVS 1 to AtS 5 there should come a limit eventually!! They could of course pick it up x years after NFA and have them both shanshued...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 2,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    That won't happen though . JM I'm sure has said that he doesn't feel he could play Spike anymore. And he is right, as great as he still looks, he has aged too far from the show for it to work now. Although they did just bravely ignored the blatant physical changes in DB that happened from BtVS 1 to AtS 5 there should come a limit eventually!! They could of course pick it up x years after NFA and have them both shanshued...
    Oddly enough, DB would be physically more suitable to play Angel now than he was in AtS season 5 - at least the last time I watched a Bones episode, he looked very fit and slimmer than in most AtS seasons. But he wouldn't, since he's busy with his current show.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

True, I did think when I saw an ad for Bones recently that he looked younger than he did in AtS 5. But having just finished rewatching S1 of BtVS, not showing him ageing drastically because he is a vamp is a ship that has already sailed.

Thanks

That would be pretty damn awesome but then technically they still wouldn't look older than Buffy if they both shanshued recently.

I couldnt actually imagine any of them in their roles again, except maybe Faith. Eliza seems to have hardly changed.
    Last edited by BuffySpike; 28-10-12 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks

DB and JM always looked to have about 10 years on SMG so I don't think it would be a problem now because that gap would still look around right. Doesn't matter anyway, because it won't happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,852 Posts

Eliza is agelessly beautiful and could probably still play Faith at Faith's own age. Sarah is no less lovely, but has aged into her age-identifiable beauty and could still play Buffy, but at Sarah's age or slightly younger, IMO. David and James... I'm sorry, immortality has gone right by both of them. We're watching in real time as its moving past Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder. Stephen Moyer and Alex Skaarsgaard were offered up as unaging after they had already pretty much reached what they're going to look like for the next 20 years.

I can't think of any of the Scoobies that could really play their characters at S8-S9 age. Michelle is probably the only one who could still do it. Aly, Nick, they're unmistakably adults now, and not just in the age of majority/college age finding themselves sense. They are past getting carded for anything short of running for Congress.

Ah, personal canon. Well, I have always preferred to think that the reason Xander put an arrow through that Bringer's hand in "Dirty Girls" is because that is where he wanted to put it; that he had made himself a marksman of some quality on his own time since he had never really been encouraged in any hand to hand training. And further, upon losing his eye, my personal canon is that he has spent free time ever since retraining his aim and is still a pretty good shot, which is why (canonically) he says he always carries a gun in Season 8.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

But they could place it however many years post NFA that they wanted to, so Alyson, Nick, SMG etc would all be moved forward within the story to their 30s, David and James shanshued and then obviously started ageing so were now exvamps in their 40s. They could all do that, it is close enough to their actual ages or would be a direct match because yeah, I think they all pretty much look the ages they are now. Michelle still looks incredibly young, she just has that kind of look so although she is in her late 20s and would within the story probably be around 30 she still looks early twenties and that is just unavoidable, it is the way she is so you just wouldn't worry about it. The beauty of going post NFA with shanshues in the mix is that everyone can be forwarded to where they roughly are so it works.

I like the canon on Xander. I can totally see him practicing his marksmanship with determination to not be 'useless' in the field and getting pretty skilled.
    Last edited by Stoney; 28-10-12 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks

DB and JM always looked to have about 10 years on SMG so I don't think it would be a problem now because that gap would still look around right. Doesn't matter anyway, because it won't happen.
    You kiddin me? James looked about 25 in season 6.

LOL one can still dream though. I actually think I might still totally watch it no matter how old the cast were. I could watch Buffy with a zimmer frame.

Thanks

I thought James looked around 30 in S6 and was actually around 40 so he was looking pretty damn fine, which visually put around 10 years between them. He could still easily pass 10 years younger than he is. SMG has always pretty much looked her age.

I'd love another TV series. *sigh*

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (27-11-12)

Thanks

All caught up

The actors’s ages: I’m forever surprised about posters on any Board saying that either David Boreanaz or James Marsters is now too old to play Angel or Spike, respectively. Have these people not seen the Terminator movies or Underworld ? Arnold looks way older with each movie. Kate Beckinsale in Underworld 4 looks way older than she did in the first two.

As for aging, I’ve seen the Resident Evil movies – which are low budget. And already in like the third one they were able to do special effects that had Milla Jovovich (Alice in the movies) looking as she did in the first one. And those are relatively low budget movies.

For people who know anything about the Buffyverse, unless David and James are wrinkled and whatnot, they’d accept them playing vampires.

For the rest of the cast, obviously the movie would be set some years after BtVS S7. None of the other cast look too old. This includes AtS people like Amy Acker. Charisma Carpenter has always looked over 10 years older than her character was supposed to be and Cordelia is dead anyway.

Eliza Dushku possibly actually looks younger than she did during BtVS S7. Unless it’s simply her makeup, that’s remarkable. She could probably do a Faith the Vampire Slayer series if she wanted. Joss Whedon could do it. Amy Acker could be Illyria (who is a popular character). Whedonverse writers could join. Nicholas Brendan could join and probably wouldn’t cost much. Depending on what James Marsters would be willing to do such a thing for, he could join.

Faye

Since I'm a big Faith fan I read the book "Go Ask Malice" which tells the story of Faith at the age of 15 before she went to Sunnydale. It's pretty interesting because the book reveals a lot of background information (e.g. where she got the tattoo etc.).
    Um, Go Ask Malice isn’t canon. I mention this in this thread because your post seems to suggest that you consider that book actual canon and not merely part of your ‘personal canon’.

redrevo

I personally believe that the "very dark power... about to rise in Sunnydale" that caused Mr. Zabuto to send Kendra there was not Drusilla, but Angelus.
    This idea seems based on Kendra not “knowing” that Drusilla was dust. The Order of Taraka was no longer after Buffy and the Scoobies were no longer concerned about Spike or Drusilla. So, if Buffy was acting as if Drusilla and Spike were dust, it’s reasonable that Kendra would act like that as well.

Being there for Angelus makes zero sense. Kendra arrived in “What’s My Line Part I” (2.09?) when Spike was getting very close to being capable of restoring Drusilla. Kendra didn’t arrive in “Surprise” (2.13). And Kendra didn’t come back again until “Becoming Part I” (2.21) and she was focused on stopping Acathla’s rise, not killing Angel. Plus, I don’t see any reason why Kendra’s Watcher would lie to her about why she was being sent to Sunnydale. If Kendra’s Watcher knew about the perfect happiness clause thing, he would have told Kendra to kill Angel. And if Kendra was told about it, she would have warned Buffy about it.

TimeTravellingBunny

From “Lessons” (7.01): HALFREK
    Listen, Anya. I know I've always been a little competitive with you. I mean, there was that thing in the Crimean War. We laugh about it now. But the fact is, I've actually always looked up to you. You were the single-most hard-core vengeance demon on the roster, and everybody knew it. Do I have to mention Mrs. Cholgash?

ANYA
    Hmm. Ha. Good times.
    Halfrek doesn’t say that she was in the Crimean War or was a vengeance demon during that time. The first flashback we see of her being a vengeance demon is in 1905. And that flashback is specifically after 1880 because the writers wanted to make sure that Cecily Addams was human when William knew her. This was in the commentary or something.

Anyway, for ‘shipping, if Cecily was a vengeance demon when William was in love with her, that would make Buffy the only mortal that Spike was ever in love with or that we’ve ever seen him in any kind of relationship with.

But anyway, Cecily isn’t presented as if she’s ‘new in town’. William seems to have known of her for some time; William’s mother knows the family. Anya was the new girl and we never hear of her family or anything. And if Cecily were a vengeance demon, it seems odd that she would bother with William or even be at that party unless she was there on business. Plus, why was Cecily asking shy and reserved when in 1905 she seems outgoing and ebullient.

Stoney

I always assume that (1) other demons/vamps cleared out the treasure whilst Spike was distracted over the gem of Amara.
    Harmony was still there. If someone else cleared out the treasure, the likeliest suspect is Giles himself. Vampires and demons would probably be too scared of Spike – if they knew about him – to steal from him. Harmony left Giles and Xander, and while Xander is still broke in BtVS S4, in BtVS S8 we see that
    Spoiler:
    Giles had a lot of money

Originally I considered that he may have squirrelled some away and that was the source of the money he was referring to with Buffy in the doublemeat palace but I work on the basis that (2) that is actually why he agreed to be involved with the demon eggs in his crypt (with whoever the doctor really was) and it was this sort of scheme he meant, or gambling poker, pool etc. I think that if he did have money already available from the treasure he may have tried to pass some on to Dawn in S6 as Buffy refused or it would have come up in S7 with him living in and the cost of all the potentials etc. So I assume he is without hidden wealth and that he missed his opportunity with the treasure because of his focus on the gem.
    Dawn doesn’t know how to launder money. A chipped Spike wasn’t going to announce to the Scoobies that he had a lot of wealth. In BtVS S7, Buffy and Co. didn’t seem to need money. And Spike was staying in Xander’s place and then in Buffy’s basement to be close to Buffy. And it’s not as if Spike would be confident that if he got his own place that Buffy would move in with him, so there wasn’t much reason to get his own place anyway.

Anyway, my reasoning is based off of if he still owns the Pratt estate and things like that. That would cost a lot of money. Also, I reason that he paid for Clem’s suit that Clem wore at the Xander-Anya wedding and that Spike bought Clem that VW Beetle that Clem has in BtVS S7. Spike could also be supporting Drusilla to some degree. Maybe she uses his money to buy clothing and jewelry. Who knows. If Angel somehow had money to rent rooms in expensive hotels, rent apartments after being a bum for 20 years, and rent the Hyperion and pay the expenses for that, why can’t Spike had a ton of money. And Liam died before his parents died and therefore would have no way to inherit anything. William technically could have inherited everything and somehow legally continued owning the estate and other stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 422 Posts

I always like to think that those ubervamps in Chosen were easily killed because they weren't ready yet. The First was preparing its army, producing ubervamps that needed some time to grow and become stronger. The first ubervamp that Buffy fought, was a ready one, that's why Buffy had such a hard time killing it. The rest were inside the hell dimension, and the First would have released them in our world through the Hellmouth, once they were ready. That's why they were so easily killed, even by someone with Dawn's and Anya's strength.

Banner by Moscow Watcher

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zianna For This Useful Post:

Jim (27-11-12),Stoney (27-11-12)

Thanks

Ha! I am willing to jump on the bandwagon of any personal canon and adopt it like a much loved child if it helps to reduce the crapness of the flaws in Chosen, thanks zianna.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 2,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    TimeTravellingBunny

Halfrek doesn’t say that she was in the Crimean War or was a vengeance demon during that time. The first flashback we see of her being a vengeance demon is in 1905. And that flashback is specifically after 1880 because the writers wanted to make sure that Cecily Addams was human when William knew her. This was in the commentary or something.
    Then if she wasn't a demon during the Crimean war, what was she? The war happened 1853-1856, 24-27 years before William met Cecily, at the time supposedly a young woman of marrying age, which was very young back them. If she was human, at the very best she could have only been a toddler during the Crimean war, or more likely wasn't even born. So what could an English child been doing in the Crimean war?! And how could she have been "competitive" with Anyanka, an ancient vengeance demon of adult appearance?!

Anyway, for ‘shipping, if Cecily was a vengeance demon when William was in love with her, that would make Buffy the only mortal that Spike was ever in love with or that we’ve ever seen him in any kind of relationship with.

But anyway, Cecily isn’t presented as if she’s ‘new in town’. William seems to have known of her for some time; William’s mother knows the family. Anya was the new girl and we never hear of her family or anything. And if Cecily were a vengeance demon, it seems odd that she would bother with William or even be at that party unless she was there on business.
    And maybe she was on business.
    (BTW, this is exactly the premise of Peter David's non-canon comic about Halfrek and Spike.)

Plus, why was Cecily asking shy and reserved when in 1905 she seems outgoing and ebullient.
    Because she was posing as a Victorian lady, and Victorian ladies were meant to be shy, demure and reserved rather than outgoing and bubbly.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Anyway, my reasoning is based off of if he still owns the Pratt estate and things like that. That would cost a lot of money.
    I don't believe he does. He's been officially dead since 1880. Dead men can't claim their estate. The estate must have been inherited by relatives or whoever had the right to inherit it over 120 years ago.
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 27-11-12 at 11:08 PM.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Lyri (28-11-12),Stoney (27-11-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,852 Posts

My explanation of the Badass Decay/Conservation of Ninjutsu of the ubervamps but deciding that the first one, the one summoned with Spike's blood, was (off screen) given the same sort of Evil Infusion that Caleb would later get, that it was the First's nominal champion, getting First-roids or Evil-tine or whatever.

I think if Spike had any sort of substantial wealth, he wouldn't have suffered the indignity of trying to scare people for beer and blood money. And if he were genuinely loaded, I think he'd have lived much more like the rock star whose aesthetic he shared. He'd have been a Russell Winters sort of vampire, but instead of a real estate mogul, more of a "lost member of Spinal Tap"/Driveshaft I'm-a-bloody-rock-god Logan Echols sort of thing.

Ah, more personal canon. I have always had the notion that an unpublished benefit of Slayer-ness is natural weapon affinity, like an abstract, intuitive understanding. The thought comes from two places -- one, the way in which Buffy expertly and inattentively disassembles Jonathan's rifle in "Earshot", and the other from completely outside the Buffyverse, Stephen King's "Dark Tower", where the small cadre of gunslingers therein have a tendency when they have a new weapon on hand to just master it after a moment's close study and consideration. I always thought it would be cool if that were true of Buffy/Slayers, and since there's nothing that really makes it implausible, I adopted it.

Banner by LRae12

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

BuffySpike (28-11-12),Emmie (28-11-12)