View Poll Results: Which Hogwarts House do you think is the best?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gryffindor

11 44.00%
  • Hufflepuff

7 28.00%
  • Ravenclaw

5 20.00%
  • Slytherin

5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Harry Potter The Sorting Hat Quiz!

Thanks

I don't think I am the right person to say anything about beauty, the people I find beautiful are usually over 50 so we will see how they look at that age before I start saying stuff

as far as acting goes I try not to judge actors until I see at least two different parts and I haven't seen any of the four of them in anything else but Harry Potter. but judging from Harry Potter alone I would say Tom is the one with the most potential. Although I haven't followed his career and don't know whether I will.

as far as Emma is concerned I am planning to catch up on her work but I don't have high expectations if I am very honest. I do think it is impressive how much she seems to plan her career and I think it is a good thing that she chooses such different parts to play. I just wish that her choices were more based on the fact that she likes the part and not on the fact that the charterer is nothing like Hermione. I understand her need to not be typecast but I don't think being associated with a character like Hermione is a bad thing. But as far as Emma goes I am hoping she will prove me wrong and turn out to be great.

Daniel I think will last the longest both because as Nina said he is the most famous one of the four but also because I think he is making smart choices going for the less Hollywood productions, doing theater work. I don't remember who said it I think it was Rupert, but one of them said that a couple of the older actors advice them to go into theater after harry Potter and its clear that Daniel (and I think Rupert as well) is following that advice. I think that is a good thing.

Rupert is the one I am personally rooting for. Just because I think he is a cool guy. He has got two movies coming up that I am defiantly going to check out(CBGB! ALAN RICKMAN!!!) so I'll be able to say a bit more about what I think of him as an actor after I've seen those movies.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,695 Times in 1,275 Posts

Remember several of us going on here about Hermione and Ron being a problematic ship? That Hermione (and Ron as well) needs somebody else?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypable.com
    “I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment,” she says. “That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” she continued, “I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.”

Watson didn’t seem shocked by these comments and agreed with her. “I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy.”

Rowling also says that Ron and Hermione would have needed “relationship counseling.”
    But sadly enough for the Hermione/Snape, Hermione/Neville, Hermione/alone, Hermione/Percy and Hermione/Draco shippers JKR thinks she should've coupled Hermione with Harry.

I would take Harry/Hermione over either Hermione/Ron and Harry/Ginny but I still fail to understand why they have to end up with somebody at the age of 17 or with their best friend. I love the Hermione/Harry friendship and don't see why it needs romance. Hermione can end up with a future co-worker or perhaps a nice muggle she meets at het parents place. Harry I kind of understand, perhaps not that he would stay with his first real girlfriend (Cho was just a few dates) but he would marry young after losing his whole family so early on. But Hermione?
    Last edited by Nina; 02-02-14 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Remember several of us going on here about Hermione and Ron being a problematic ship? That Hermione (and Ron as well) needs somebody else?

But sadly enough for the Hermione/Snape, Hermione/Neville, Hermione/alone, Hermione/Percy and Hermione/Draco shippers JKR thinks she should've coupled Hermione with Harry.

I would take Harry/Hermione over either Hermione/Ron and Harry/Ginny but I still fail to understand why they have to end up with somebody at the age of 17 or with their best friend. I love the Hermione/Harry friendship and don't see why it needs romance. Hermione can end up with a future co-worker or perhaps a nice muggle she meets at het parents place. Harry I kind of understand, perhaps not that he would stay with his first real girlfriend (Cho was just a few dates) but he would marry young after losing his whole family so early on. But Hermione?
    Just give it time over time JKR will realize she has already written Hermione's perfect boyfriend..and then Nagini killed him sorry sorry I'll stop It's just that this news makes me happy It is the closes to canon my couple is going to get let me rejoice

On a more serious level though I agree with you I would take Harry/Hermione over Ron/Hermione any day I would in fact take every one of the options you mentioned over Ron/Hermione any day. What grabbed my attention is that she has actually admitted to having chosen plot over character which is something that has been on my mind for a long time when I first read the epilogue but also when I got into the ss/hg fandom. I don't know if I am alone in this but it has always been in the back if my mind that canon wise Hermione chose Ron and so that there was something in her character that apparently drove her to Ron or to make that decision to marry him anyway and I have always thought that to be out of character for Hermione which has always made me believe that ultimately I don't fully understand her charterer, because again I agree with you would she marry this young? I don't know I don't think so. So it is very satisfying form a fanfic writers/readers point of view to have that unease addressed in way and to have this explanation for why JKR has made this decision and have this conformation that my gut feeling and the gut feeling of so many others was right. I wonder if it was just a decision on her part to ensure that the hero doesn't get the girl (well not the lead girl anyway) or that there were some other plot motives that made JKR pare them up like that

On the Harry/Hermione note, no I am not that happy with that and no it is not only because it is not Snape but it is more because I love the Harry/Hermione friendship and like you, I don't see how and why there should be romance there. They are good as friends just as in my opinion Hermione/Ron were good as friends. I think it would be the most logical for Hermione to go back to school after the war find a job and perhaps meet someone trough that job. I don't see her getting married at 17/18/19... not unless something drastic happens to her to make her want to do a thing like that. As far as Harry I am not a fan of Harry/Ginny but in the books Ginny doesn't bother me half as much as she does on screen so as much as I don't want to see that happen and work out I understand why and how that might happen and work out and be an eventual successful marriage. I am curious though if JKR now says that Harry/Hermione would be the right couple then who she has in mind for Ron and Ginny. I love the fact that she is this involved with these characters still and personally I hope for some other rectifications/explenations from her (FF.net is hour best friend JKR embrace it )
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

Thanks

Glad to see that even J.K thinks HR was not good!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...K-Rowling.html

Harry Potter should have married Hermione, admits JK Rowling

Author says she mistakenly wrote Hermione Granger and Ron Wesley as a couple "as a form of wish fulfilment" and not for "reasons of credibility"

Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter and Emma Watson as Hermione Granger on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

JK Rowling has admitted that she made a mistake by pairing off Hermione Granger with Ron Weasley rather than with Harry Potter in her best-selling books.

The author said she brought Hermione and Ron together for “very personal reasons”, not because they were a “credible” couple.

She told Wonderland magazine in a rare interview: "I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfilment. That's how it was conceived, really.

“For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron."

An epilogue to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final book in the best-selling series, reveals that Ron and Hermione marry and have two children, while Harry weds Ron’s younger sister Ginny.

However, Rowling, 48, believes that Ron and Hermione would have ended up needing relationship counselling, The Sunday Times reported.

She said: "I know, I'm sorry, I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I'm absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that.

“It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people's hearts by saying this? I hope not."

Emma Watson, who played Hermione in the Harry Potter films, said she tended to agree with Rowling, whom she interviewed while guest-editing the new issue of Wonderland.

The 23-year-old actress said: "I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy."

Thanks

I'm curious to read the whole interview because despite all reports going on about Harry/Hermione the direct quotes only mentions Ron/Hermione not being the best match. While I think that is really nice and I'm glad that writers like Mara know now that they do understand Hermione after all I find it a bit off that she considers Ron/Hermione more problematic and forced than Harry/Ginny. So I'm wondering if there is more. If JKR actually states that Harry/Hermione should be endgame she also admits that Harry/Ginny isn't all that.

Thanks

I am going to quote my friend from another forum, who nailed my thoughts on this subject.

The 23-year-old actress said: "I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy."
    So Emma Watson thinks Ron wouldn't have been able to satisfy Hermione's needs, eh? Is that a slam against Rupert Grint .

Personally, this isn't an issue of who should be shagging who, the series simply failed at romance in general. The characters were never really written in any particular romantic manner because the series wasn't about romance. Even the 6th book's b-plots were written more as hormonal angst parades rather than personal descriptions of growing love or even attachment (for better or worse, I think the films portrayed the romantic relationships better if only because the various actors had visible chemistry with each other...admittedly, Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe still had better chemistry, but that was more because they were simply better actors).

What I'm more interested in is this idea of "wish fulfillment" Rowling mentions. What exactly did she mean by that phrase? Is it simply in regards to filling in the dots toward the epilogue she had written before the series ended (literally forcing the romance simply because the already written epilogue necessitated it), or is there something more personal at work with the characters and the authors life? Whatever the case, counseling is not a bad and I think her remarks are somewhat unnecessarily disparaging.

Also, I'm not sure why she thinks Hermione would have ended up with Harry, or why they would have necessarily been a a better couple. There was also something interesting about the heroine not getting with the hero (let's face it, Ron was clearly the secondary character in the trio, very much the sub-hero), but that still doesn't necessitate a Ron/Hermione ending. Personally, I think Hermione should have gotten together with Luna . You still get the strong 'opposites attract' vibe while putting her with one of the few characters that is her intellectual equal (or at least closer)...

That being said, I would love an 8th book all about Hermione getting a divorce, and finding herself after suffering through a stifling marriage. A kind of Eat, Pray, Love for the Muggleborn.
    And who would have thought this could be such a big deal? LOL! CNN Has officially picked up the story

Shipers!

Thanks

Full interview is out!

http://www.hypable.com/2014/02/07/jk...one-interview/

Since Saturday’s article in The Sunday Times teased interesting revelations from the Harry Potter author about Ron and Hermione’s relationship, readers have been eager to see the full transcript.

The extended, unabbreviated interview certainly offers more insight into Rowling’s feelings about Ron/Hermione. For example, the author says that the couple has “fundamental incompatibility,” and that in “some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit.”

Rowling tells a brief story about the first time she realized the potential between the two characters, pointing to when they were together in the tent in Deathly Hallows, and says she felt it “quite strong.”

After Rowling and Watson discuss how Hermione was there for Harry all the way through – which can’t be said for Ron – Rowling seems to have a little sympathy for Ron/Hermione. “Oh, maybe she and Ron will be alright with a bit of counseling,” she says. “He needs to works on his self-esteem issues and she needs to work on being a little less critical.”

The full transcript for your interpretation follows…

Watson: I thought we should discuss Hermione… I’m sure you’ve heard this a million times but now that you have written the books, do you have a new perspective on how you relate to Hermione and the relationship you have with her or had with her?

Rowling: I know that Hermione is incredibly recognizable to a lot of readers and yet you don’t see a lot of Hermiones in film or on TV except to be laughed at. I mean that the intense, clever, in some ways not terribly self-aware, girl is rarely the heroine and I really wanted her to be the heroine. She is part of me, although she is not wholly me. I think that is how I might have appeared to people when I was younger, but that is not really how I was inside.

What I will say is that I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment. That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione with Ron.

Watson: Ah.

Rowling: I know, I’m sorry, I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.

Watson: I don’t know. I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy.

Rowling: Yes exactly.

Watson: And vice versa.

Rowling: It was a young relationship. I think the attraction itself is plausible but the combative side of it… I’m not sure you could have got over that in an adult relationship, there was too much fundamental incompatibility. I can’t believe we are saying all of this – this is Potter heresy!

In some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit, and I’ll tell you something very strange. When I wrote Hallows, I felt this quite strongly when I had Hermione and Harry together in the tent! I hadn’t told [Steven] Kloves that and when he wrote the script he felt exactly the same thing at exactly the same point.

Watson: This is just so interesting because when I was doing the scene, I said to David [Heyman]: “This isn’t in the book, she didn’t write this.” I’m not sure I am comfortable insinuating something however subtle it is!

Rowling: Yes, but David and Steve – they felt what I felt when writing it.

Watson: That is so strange.

Rowling: And actually I liked that scene in the film, because it was articulating something I hadn’t said but I had felt. I really liked it and I thought that it was right. I think you do feel the ghost of what could have been in that scene.

Watson: It’s a really haunting scene. It is funny because it really divided people. Some people loved that scene and some people really didn’t.

Rowling: Yes, some people utterly hated it. But that is true of so many really good scenes in books and films; they evoke that strong positive/negative feeling. I was fine with it, I liked it.

Watson: I remember really loving shooting those scenes that don’t have any dialogue, where you are just kind of trying to express a moment in time and a feeling without saying anything. It was just Dan and I spontaneously sort of trying to convey an idea and it was really fun.

Rowling: And you got it perfectly, you got perfectly the sort of mixture of awkwardness and genuine emotion, because it teeters on the edge of “What are we doing? Oh come on let’s do it anyway,” which I thought was just right for that time.

Watson: I think it was just the sense that in the moment they needed to be together and be kids and raise each others morale.

Rowling: That is just it, you are so right. All this says something very powerful about the character of Hermione as well. Hermione was the one that stuck with Harry all the way through that last installment, that very last part of the adventure. It wasn’t Ron, which also says something very powerful about Ron. He was injured in a way, in his self-esteem, from the start of the series. He always knew he came second to fourth best, and then he had to make friends with the hero of it all and that’s a hell of a position to be in, eternally overshadowed. So Ron had to act out in that way at some point.

But Hermione’s always there for Harry. I remember you sent me a note after you read Hallows and before you starting shooting, and said something about that, because it was Hermione’s journey as much as Harry’s at the end.

Watson: I completely agree and the fact that they were true equals and the fact that she really said goodbye to her family makes it her sacrifice too.

Rowling: Yes, her sacrifice was massive, completely. A very calculated act of bravery. That is not an “in the moment” act of bravery where emotion carries you through, that is a deliberate choice.

Watson: Exactly.

Rowling: I love Hermione.

Watson: I love her too.

Rowling: Oh, maybe she and Ron will be alright with a bit of counseling, you know. I wonder what happens at wizard marriage counseling? They’ll probably be fine. He needs to works on his self-esteem issues and she needs to work on being a little less critical.

Watson: I think it makes sense to me that Ron would make friends with the most famous wizard in the school because I think life presents to you over and over again your biggest and most painful fear – until you conquer it. It just keeps coming up.

Rowling: This is so true, it has happened in my own life. The issue keeps coming up because you are drawn to it and you are putting yourself in front of it all the time. At a certain point you have to choose what to do about it and sometimes conquering it is choosing to say: I don’t want that anymore, I’m going to stop walking up to you because there is nothing there for me. But yes, you’re so right, that’s very insightful. Ron’s used to playing second fiddle. I think that’s a comfortable role for him, but at a certain point he has to be his own man, doesn’t he?

Watson: Yes, and until he does it is unresolved. It is unfinished business. So maybe life presented this to him enough times until he had to make a choice and become the man that Hermione needs.

Rowling: Just like her creator, she has a real weakness for a funny man. These uptight girls, they do like them funny.

Watson: They do like them funny, they need them funny.

Elsewhere in their interview in Wonderland Magazine, Rowling touches on the Fantastic Beasts movie amongst other things about her life and career.

Thanks

This is a must see!

Just wow!

Part1: http://youtu.be/Tlrvif8nrck
    Part2: http://youtu.be/HQjDCEEEtSQ

Opinions?!

Thanks

So I was on HP wiki checking some stuff. And I stumbled on something. There was literately a war about in on wiki.

It's about the fate of Lavender Brown. Was she dead or alive. Personally unlike the wiki, I don't consider movies as canon, or semi canon at all. So since the last thing we saw of her in the book she was still alive. I think she is alive.

Whats your guys opinion on this?

I found the wiki to be very biased. Which is not such a big surprise. Seeing how nearly all of them are the same.

Thanks

It always suprises me how subjective many wikis about fandoms are. In contrast to the real wikipedia those wiki entries are filled with opinions. Strange.

About Lavender's fate... I don't use the movies as canon either so I would not declare her dead because she died in the movies. That said I'm not sure if she survived; the books left her barely alive so it could've went either way. It's up to JKR I guess. Perhaps Pottermore or a future interview with JKR will clear it up.

Sunnydale High Student Cordelia's Avatar
    Thanks

My result is as it usually is: Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff - 13
    Gryffindor - 11
    Ravenclaw - 11
    Slytherin - 6

I've always favored Hufflepuff because they possess what I see to be the strongest trait of all the houses; they have no prejudices. There is way too much close mindedness in the world and judgement based on petty things such as religion, race and politics. Helga Hufflepuff stood for those students who simply wanted to learn, she embraced the leftovers that didn't fit the other founders' criteria.

Unfortunately such a level of kindness and acceptance never fails to be under appreciated for the most part and the Hufflepuff house suffers from a tragic amount of this, seen as weak when in fact proof of the opposite stares everyone in the face. The badger which stands proudly on their crest against the yellow and black is a creature that can be a pretty nasty piece of work. They are able to fend off animals larger than themselves such as wolves and bears and while they may at times cooperate with other species with one wrong move they'll drive them away and possibly even slaughter their young.

Like the American badger Hufflepuffs have been shown to be strong willed and determined fighters like Cedric Diggory for example.

It's important however to be aware that sorting does NOT determine who you are; we have characters in the series who grew up to defy their. Severus Snape was a Slytherin who always had the open mindedness of a Hufflepuff and became brave and fiercely just like a Gryffindor while Peter Pettigrew was a Gryffindor who had always shown signs of being a follower aimed to impress became a selfish, spineless coward who merely supported whatever kept him alive. In a way that is the power hunger of a Slytherin.

Slytherin house alone is questionable. If you pay careful attention Slytherin house has never followed it's own rules, Salazar Slytherin may have favored pure bloods but I can name at least two half bloods who were sorted into Slytherin house; Snape and Slytherin's own pure blood favoring decedent, Tom Riddle aka Voldemort. Slytherin may have been a dark man but the house originally stood for ambition and drive which are very good qualities necessary to get us anywhere in life but was corrupted, again by his own blood, Riddle/Voldemort to become power hungry and Nazi. In a way you could say it became the other side of the coin. The ambition was still there but in a dark, close minded way.

There are two sides to each coin and in each house we see this. Ravenclaws are intelligent and insightful but a lot of them are also a**h***s, just look at how they treated Luna! Intelligence can often come with arrogance. Even Hufflepuff is not immune, loyalty can be judgmental in other ways besides those are petty. Recall in Goblet of Fire among the entire student body assuming Harry had cheated his way in to the tournament it was Cedric Diggory's, the real Hogwart's champion's housemates of Hufflepuff who sneered at him most. Cedric himself was the purest of the Hufflepuffs, he never judged Harry and even tried to ask his friends to back off. In fact in Prisoner Of Azkaban before he was a significant character he displayed a quality of a Gryffindor, justness. When Harry lost the Quidditch mach to Hufflepuff due to dementor interference Cedric as both Hufflepuff's seeker and captain had tried to request a rematch due to unfair circumstances on Harry's part but was denied.
    Harry himself was a Gryffindor who actually displayed a lot of qualities of Hufflepuff, he had no prejudices and was kind to all who deserved it AND he had Slytherin qualities that the piece of Voldemort's soul in him didn't necessary cause such as a disregard for school rules. That's something he inherited from his father who was also a Gryffindor.

Wow I've gone on way too long here and it's time to go grocery shopping now so time to wrap this up. These are just points I've picked up on that should not be overlooked.
    Last edited by Cordelia; 02-01-15 at 12:10 AM.

Hellmouth Tourist Mrs Captain Peroxide's Avatar
    Thanks

My result is Hufflepuff.

Hufflepuff - 15
    Ravenclaw - 14
    Gryffindor - 11
    Slytherin - 7

Pretty close draw there with Ravenclaw, which fits, because I consider myself Ravenpuff. The traits that I feel that most fit me and which I see as the best Huffie qualities are: dedication, hard work, fair play, kindness and tolerance. As for Ravenclaw: intelligence, wit, acceptance, originality and creativity. I think tolerance and acceptance are the most important here. I know everyone is prejudiced - let's not deny that - but I think we should keep our minds open and let ourselves be surprised, because not everything is as it seems at first.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Captain Peroxide For This Useful Post:

Nina (17-04-15)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

Your in-depth results are:

Gryffindor - 12
    Ravenclaw - 11
    Slytherin - 10
    Hufflepuff - 9
    I don't know much about the actual houses, as I've never read the Harry Potter books. From the movies, it seems Slytherin is largely Gryffindor but with wealth, power, and ambition. Harry himself was placed in Slytherin and he simply essentially refused.

Regarding the 'Whom should Hermione Granger with with?', it's always been interesting to me that people support royal, noble, etc. parings in books, TV, and movies and support 'He's better looking.', yet in real life often have problems with such things as models and actresses being slender.

Attractions is attraction. Both Catherine the Great and Queen Victoria loved and married men far 'beneath' them.

Yet with such things as the TV Vampire Diaries , the support for Elena/Damon seems almost entirely based off some of the audience simply finding Ian Somerhalder better looking than Paul Wesley. And Paul Wesley is a great looking guy.

With the Buffyverse, there are "Sarah Michelle Gellar is too thin." And "She's looks healthy now." There were "Amy Acker is too thin." comments in one thread.

Anyway, in real life and in forums, I've notably never heard any "Emma Watson is too thin."

SPOILERS FOR QUIZ QUESTIONS BELOW:

My results are rather even between the various houses. It's interesting that the questions include things like "Your friend" needs or does __________ and a child does __________. Is an adult really going to strike a child for essentially being very annoying but not dangerous? And you help and protect your friends more than you would a random somebody.

The wallet question was interesting because it requires some thinking. A wallet with some money but no identification is either a child's wallet or a very poor person's wallet.