Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My country, Australia is bombing in the Olympics. Happy me!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,200 Times in 4,579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Francy View Post
    Talking about athletes and pressure, we have been shocked by an unexpected doping case in the last few days. An Italian marathon runner (current Olympic champion) has been stressing over the upcoming games and caved to doping... and then purposely let himself be tested by the anti-doping squad (when he could have skipped the test) because he wanted it all to be over, he couldn't take the pressure and this life anymore. So he consciously decided to ruin his whole career and reputation to be disqualified and be able to completely change life.

That's what the pressure to win from a whole people can do to someone!! Very sad for the poor guy.
    Why the heck didn't he just retire gracefully? Presumably he felt he wouldn't be allowed??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Why the heck didn't he just retire gracefully? Presumably he felt he wouldn't be allowed??
    Who knows... he admitted that he lost his head and lucidity, otherwise he wouldn't have done something so stupid. He said that he had been trying to retire for years, but everyone around him kept pushing him to continue.

http://english.gazzetta.it/More_spor...83424657.shtml

I watched his press conference and I almost started crying, seeing this broken shell of a man cry in front of everyone! So sad. But I hope his family and friend support him, and that he finally starts living that normal life he craves.
    Last edited by Francy; 09-08-12 at 02:06 PM.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    It's all nice when they don't go overboard with it. We all know it wasn't that nice in the past when it comes to the Olympics, with USA and USSR bringing politics into Olympics and making a mockery out of it. I hate when the media go too far with it - and yeah, I know it happens everywhere (as in Euro 1996 when English tabloids were referencing WW2 when England was playing Germany in the semi?!) - doesn't make me like it any more than I do. I especially hate it when politicians start milking the success of any athlete, taking pictures with them and giving speeches and mentioning them 1000 times as "the best ambassadors of our country" etc. - last year our (now former) minister of foreign affairs managed to become the head of the Tennis association and talked more about Djokovic than he did about his main job, and president Tadic also did his best to take pictures and appear in celebrations and talk about him as much as he could. It all feels very "uh, let's forget about the fact that the unemployment is something like 20% - hey, Djokovic won Wimbledon and became #1, we're the best country ever - look, shiny!"
    Agreed about disliking politicians and press going too far, especially politicians* since I'm (sadly) getting used to the nonsense some tabloids/newspapers spit out from time to time. But I've absolutely no problems with people having a party and the athletes getting a big reception so the people can cheer them on. Nor with the chauvinistic tone of the media, as long it isn't hateful to other countries or super delusional. It's over the top but harmless (now). But I understand that if it often goes too far in your country, that you can have mixed feelings over a successful tournament.

*Must say that we are lucky to have a royal family, they are perfect for things like this. No politicians needed, just the crownprince and his family cheering on the athletes and back home the golden medal winners visit the queen. So thank goodness we don't have to see our prime-minister and some of the other politicians dance around the athletes in the hope to become more popular.
    Last edited by Nina; 09-08-12 at 02:19 PM.

Sunnydale High Student mulliganstew's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not really into the Olympics that much, I've been watching it here and there when there's nothing else on, but overall I'm just a bit annoyed at the crappy coverage on free-to-air. I've noticed they're not really showing whole events, just bits and pieces then switching to another event. Am also annoyed that the Olympics has completely taken over not only Channel 9 but also Channel Gem! Argggh! Can't they just stick to one channel? As if we haven't got enough to put up with when dreaded Big Brother comes back to 9

I do have to say I would have loved to see Australia doing a bit better overall. I really enjoyed watching the Aussies against the US Dream Team (I love basketball), I think we did bloody well to hang in as we did!

Beech, totally get what you're saying about how we put so much funding into sports when other areas of our country need so much work, so I do agree with you for the most part... But I do have to admit I'm a sports junkie I love that our country is so obsessed with sport! There's a reason so many Aussie kids grow up playing backyard cricket, beach footy, etc.. We have the best climate in the world, why wouldn't we want to run around outside being active all the time ... I think what I love most about sports is that it brings a large group of people together and we can all bond and jump up and down and go nuts when our team is winning. It's a good, healthy thing to be obsessed with

I love the cricket too, though it's taken me a while to really appreciate it for what it is. I used to be one of those "omg cricket is sooo boring" girls but when someone actually took the time to explain it to me I realised it's actually a very clever game! I'm disappointed there's no cricket in the Olympics actually!
    I am also absolutely nuts on Rugby League (go Sharkies!! ). State of Origin nights are some of my favourite nights of the year

Anyway that's my two cents
    "I don't understand your crazy system!"

"... The alphabet?"

Thanks

Well, apparently Australia isn't bombing that much anymore, since they (among other countries) finally surpassed Italy in the medal count. Sigh.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks

Well, apparently Australia isn't bombing that much anymore, since they (among other countries) finally surpassed Italy in the medal count. Sigh.
    Yeah I think they are in the top 10 now, had a bit of a flurry in the last few days. I think with about 30, around half silver. Rowing and sailing helped I think, I don't really watch those so I'm not sure. We've had a bit of a quieter spell, apart from the equestrian which has gone really well. I struggle to see dressage as a sport though tbh, it is a bit like Crufts for horses.

Thanks

Yeah I think they are in the top 10 now, had a bit of a flurry in the last few days. I think with about 30, around half silver. Rowing and sailing helped I think, I don't really watch those so I'm not sure. We've had a bit of a quieter spell, apart from the equestrian which has gone really well. I struggle to see dressage as a sport though tbh, it is a bit like Crufts for horses.
    Honestly, rather than in where Australia did well to climb the medal table, I'm more interested in where WE failed... which is pretty much everywhere!

Luckily it will be over soon, and I won't be that bothered anymore!!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks
    Thanked 4,422 Times in 2,067 Posts

Honestly, rather than in where Australia did well to climb the medal table, I'm more interested in where WE failed... which is pretty much everywhere!

Luckily it will be over soon, and I won't be that bothered anymore!!
    Well, congratulations for the upset win in the men's waterpolo semi! You got one more medal there. No gold for us this time, they're going to be up against Montenegro, again, for the bronze...

And I was wrong when I said that there probably weren't any more Serbian atheletes still in the competitions other than the men's waterpolo team - there were still several of them, mostly in various athletics' disciplines, some even today, just none that actually have any chance! From time to time there's just a little news on the screen that another one dropped out of the competition or didn't qualify for the final. Fortunately, our TV stations aren't obsessed with following every Serbian athlete anywhere, they show all sorts of sports, mostly athletics, gymnastics and swimming as well as the sports with a ball (the semis and finals of the women's and men's volleyball, handball, basketball and football) but you get to see things like equestrian final.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

Well, congratulations for the upset win in the men's waterpolo semi! You got one more medal there. No gold for us this time, they're going to be up against Montenegro, again, for the bronze...
    Thanks!! We haven't won in 20 years. The last time was in Barcelona, and our coach was Ratko Rudic, who's now the Croatia's coach.

It will be a difficult game, for sure!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks
    Thanked 4,422 Times in 2,067 Posts

And I was wrong when I said that there probably weren't any more Serbian atheletes still in the competitions other than the men's waterpolo team - there were still several of them, mostly in various athletics' disciplines, some even today, just none that actually have any chance!
    And I was wrong again! Serbia actually has just won a gold medal - in women's Taekwondo - 20-year old Milica Mandic - haven't heard of her before, but she's sure going to be all over the media now! This was unexpected due to the utter lack of media hype that accompanied Djokovic or the waterpolo team. So that's 3 medals so far, and 2 out of them won by women.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

And I was wrong again! Serbia actually has just won a gold medal - in women's Taekwondo - 20-year old Milica Mandic - haven't heard of her before, but she's sure going to be all over the media now! This was unexpected due to the utter lack of media hype that accompanied Djokovic or the waterpolo team. So that's 3 medals so far, and 2 out of them won by women.
    I saw, congratulations!!

We have just won a gold in Taekwondo too, with Carlo Molfetta... but we lost in boxing. Meh.

Between today and tomorrow we have 5 finals... one is won, one is lost. Three to go... let's see if we can end better than we began!
    Last edited by Francy; 12-08-12 at 12:28 AM.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks

Well, of 5 finals, we lost 4. All around not a good day, and to say that I'm disappointed is not enough.

Oh, well. It's over, honestly I'm almost relieved.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks

Ach, don't be all bah humbug . Paralympics next anyway.

Thanks

I don't deal well with disappointment!! I'm delicate!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks

I don't deal well with disappointment!! I'm delicate!
    I don't know what I can say to ease the pain...

Thanks

I don't know what I can say to ease the pain...
    I'll live ... but thanks!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks

I'll live ... but thanks!
    Glad to hear it.