Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My country, Australia is bombing in the Olympics. Happy me!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,200 Times in 4,579 Posts

I saw the trampoline gold being won and was delighted for the woman, she looked so thrilled, it was nice.

I don't know if there are any country restrictions (probably because of the British TV licencing for the BBC) but the bbc site is providing coverage of everything that isn't on the normal channels. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video. It has been great.

Thanks

Yeah, I watched the trampoline gold being won as well...I know for any athlete, in any of the olympic sports, gold is a lifelong goal that few achieve. I only mean that for the size and relative richness of our country, I am always amazed that we can usually only squeak out one or 2 gold medals in the summer games. We don't live in sub zero temperatures all the time..what is the excuse for sucking so much at most summer sports?

Also, I'm bitter because the government has a program called "Own the Podium" that was started up in 2004..it makes everyone here laugh so much because we don't "own" much of anything at the olympics. And yet it is funneling millions of dollars out of taxpayers pockets to supposadly increase patriotism blah blah blah. But it isn't very invigorating to consistently be second last in most sports. My husband and I joke that Canada's goal must be to not be last, so we're always second last.

I'm sorry. I know I sound grumpy...it is just nice to win and we rarely do!
    I have loved you. - Ser Jorah Mormont

Thanks
    Thanked 4,422 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Well, I'm sat watching the mixed doubles semifinal hoping Murray and Robson get through. Tomorrow I will be on the edge of my seat watching the men's final gold medal tennis match praying to anything that will listen for Murray to kick ass and as delighted and overjoyed as I will be if he wins gold it will be 90% of the joy I would get if he had won Wimbledon.

The team sports I don't think are the same but any medals, achievements etc I just think are great. It is all such a feel good factor I'm on a natural high!!
    I will be at the beach tomorrow but I'll try to watch all the finales at a cafe - if they actually show them on TV! They'll certainly show Djokovic's bronze medal match, and they'll most probably show the men's final but they may interrupt for something else, but I'm not so sure about the doubles finals. If only there were more cafes showing Eurosport instead, I think they show every final of every sport? At least that's how they did the previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    I'm not a big fan of team sports in the Olympics in general, to be honest. I don't mean team events like the team all-around in Gymnastics or team Archery or swimming relays; team events in individual sports, basically. But team sports just don't really fit to me. Not even basketball, which isn't even fun anymore -- since the US "took the gloves off" and started sending pros in basketball like everyone else, it went from being a proud thing to watch them compete to being something you watch to see what sort of ridiculous diva act will unfold or to just be embarrassed if they don't win, like 2004. I think they should have let 1992 been a one time thing.
    I think US should keep sending its best players, just like everyone else. There have been people who tried to argue that US shouldn't be sending NBA players, but that was really hypocritical, since everyone else who has players in NBA is sending them if they're available, and everyone else is sending pros who don't play in NBA but some of whom are also earning millions. And all the complaints were at the time when it was still believed US best NBA teams* were unbeatable, the outcries have mostly subsided since it was proven they aren't. If US weren't sending its best players, the competition would be devalued, since then everyone would be doubting the winner and saying "Ah, but if USA were to send Lebron James etc. you know things would be different..." It's only possible to measure best teams against each other with everyone sending their best players.

*I think, however, that they should have really stopped calling them "Dream Team" after 1992.
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 05-08-12 at 12:46 AM.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

Man, triathlete's are bloody amazing. I just can't even comprehend the level of fitness there!
    I have loved you. - Ser Jorah Mormont

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    I will be at the beach tomorrow but I'll try to watch all the finales at a cafe - if they actually show them on TV! They'll certainly show Djokovic's bronze medal match, and they'll most probably show the men's final but they may interrupt for something else, but I'm not so sure about the doubles finals. If only there were more cafes showing Eurosport instead, I think they show every final of every sport? At least that's how they did the previous years.
    I am assuming therefore that you are Serbian?? Out at the beach and watching the tennis at a cafe sounds blissful for a lazy Sunday afternoon. I will be ensconced in my living room probably with rain beating the windows.

I would expect Djokovic to win, though Del Potro was playing brilliantly against Federer so you never know. They are on Court 1 12pm ish (BST) with the Gold medal final starting, probably 13.30-14.00ish on Centre Court so the two matches will possibly clash for a chunk of time. Murray is stuck on Centre Court for the afternoon as his mixed doubles final follows his gold medal match. I just really really hope for him that he gets at least one gold. I'm too excited to talk too coherently about it really, as long as he avoids his terrible lobs he should stand a good chance!!

Thanks

I was excited for the Olympics, even got up early to watch the opening ceremony. I lost interest a few days in and haven't watched since.
    Australia sent over the 4th biggest Olympics team I think? And have only won one gold medal so far. Come on Australia! I have to say that's pretty shocking. Haha :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Its Anita View Post
    I was excited for the Olympics, even got up early to watch the opening ceremony. I lost interest a few days in and haven't watched since.
    Australia sent over the 4th biggest Olympics team I think? And have only won one gold medal so far. Come on Australia! I have to say that's pretty shocking. Haha :/
    Ach, it's been great. My daughter has been allowed kiddy tele for breakfast and then we have had olympics on until bed. Today at one point i even had equestrian on the tele and tennis on the live internet feed. I'm on sport overload, it is just a shame it doesn't make me shed a few stone from watching.

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

In Australia silver is the new gold.

I have not seen a single Olympic event. Mostly I have been home watching Buffy. I had to go out earlier to do a recording session but it only took 90 minutes. I heard an Olympic broadcast in the distance. That's as close as I've come. Now I am back home watching Buffy.
    “Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
    Aristophanes

Thanks

I haven't really been watching the Olympics, it's not really something that interests me. I'm glad to see that Team GB are doing quite well (for once...), really makes me proud to be British. (2012 seems to be a very patriarchal year for GB...)

I caught the two gold winners, Mo and...the woman, whilst I was in the pub. The only time I've watched any of the Olympics. Every other winner I find out from Facebook.

Although I had to laugh, I'm not sure if Team GB won yesterday in the football, but I heard it went to penalties. My news feed was literally filled with, "It's went to penalties, that's us out!" So true!

♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahm Shere View Post
    I haven't really been watching the Olympics, it's not really something that interests me. I'm glad to see that Team GB are doing quite well (for once...), really makes me proud to be British. (2012 seems to be a very patriarchal year for GB...)

I caught the two gold winners, Mo and...the woman, whilst I was in the pub. The only time I've watched any of the Olympics. Every other winner I find out from Facebook.

Although I had to laugh, I'm not sure if Team GB won yesterday in the football, but I heard it went to penalties. My news feed was literally filled with, "It's went to penalties, that's us out!" So true!
    and you're right...

Men's Football - Quarterfinal
    Great Britain - Korea 1 - 1 (4-5 PSO)

http://www.london2012.com/football/

I'm watching women's marathon on TV at the moment. Meanwhile t's just started raining at Wimbledon so the men's bronze medal match got interrupted.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

I've got Djokovic/Potro on the computer and Murray/Federer on the TV. I'm happy as a pig in...

Thanks

I can't watch Murray/Federer since Eurosport interrupted it at 5:2 to go the gymnastics, and the two RTS (Serbian state TV) channels are showing Djokovic/Del Potro and the gymnastics, respectively. And I'm about to go to the beach anyway, where they'll be no Eurosport so it will be all at the mercy of RTS.

edit: Eurosport is showing the closing games of the second set of the men's final - and wow, Murray sure is pummeling Federer! I was rooting for Murray, but who would think it would be like this. I wonder what changed since the Wimbledon final? And Del Potro has already beaten Djokovic, that match also didn't last an awful lot, but at least it's not as bad as Fed's result. I thought Del Potro really deserved it anyway, with his unlucky loss in that epic match with Federer. Well, at least now I can go to the beach as soon as Murray finishes the match!!

edit 2: WTF?! RTS is interrupting to show a brief interview with Djokovic, while Eurosport is showing the gymnastics medal ceremony?! But OK, RTS has just come back, Djokovic fortunately didn't want to talk much. Meanwhile I've just realized that the final is best of five sets - I was thinking that Murray was serving for the match!

The commentator says that the Murray/Fed match hasn't been that one-sided as the score suggests and that Murray saved a lot of break points.
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 05-08-12 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks

Del Potro did deserve the match I think, though I had expected Djokovic to win it before they started.

Ach, the mens final was a fabulous match, brilliant. Yeah there were one or two of Murray's service games where he was taken to break point several times but they were definitely in the minority and Federer didn't manage to convert when he had the chances with Murray always pulling the winning point out of the bag. Fabulous win.

And we just got bronze and silver in the pommel horse too. We just need Murray/Robson to get gold in the mixed doubles now. Either he will be on a high and pumped full of adrenaline or knackered!!!

Great day, totally stoked.

Thanks

I'm glad Murray won - men's tennis has gotten really interesting, with Murray finally winning something big and proving that he's a contender for the top spot. US Open and the end of year Masters is sure going to be interesting!! Hopefully Nadal recovers soon...

The waterpolo semifinals are going to be very exciting in all the good and all the bad ways, what with 3 ex-Yu countries there! Serbia (who are favorites) came from behind today to beat Australia 11:8 after trailing 4:7 at the end of the first half and then 5:8. Now it's Serbia vs Italy and Montenegro vs Croatia. Serbia and Montenegro already played in the group stage and drew 11:11, the only game that the Serbian waterpolo team hasn't won so far. It must have been incredibly weird, since those players were not that long ago on the same team - though it helps that this particular country break-up was more like a friendly divorce after a very long separation, unlike those previous ones! The media is in the meanwhile being unbearable and treating the waterpolo team the way they used to treat Djokovic last year, the players and couch have even asked the media to stop putting pressure on them by making them seem like certain winners and treating them like the saviors of the country's relatively poor Olympic performance... Relative since 1 silver and 1 bronze isn't such a bad result, considering that nobody actually expected more than 5-6 medals even if everyone performed to their utmost potential (and that the result would be zero medals if it reflected the amount that the state is investing and helping the athletes!). But both of these were in archery, and who watches archery?

I'm always torn on whether to root for Serbian athletes - I shudder thinking of the media frenzy if they win, the big reception in the Belgrade square with thousands of people shouting like crazy, the politicians taking pictures with the athletes and everyone getting 'patriotic' and shouting that "we" are the best and "we" won. No, we didn't - they (he/she in individual sports) did.

Random thought of the day: am I the only one who thinks that Usain Bolt looks a lot like Omar Little from The Wire?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Stoney (09-08-12)

Thanks

Yeah, he does a bit.

I'm really pleased for Murray. He would probably have got the mixed doubles too if he had had a more experienced/confident partner. Hopefully it will boost him in the next major tournaments, knowing that he can do it giving him that extra kick.

I have never watched water polo and haven't caught any of it in the Olympics. I have mostly watched swimming/diving/gymnastics/athletics and tennis and it is athletics that we are going to go and watch at the paralympics. But it has been great to get to see such a mix of sports and ones I have never really seen before, maybe I'll catch some of the women's final this evening.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,104 Posts

When it comes to the minor sports, Italian tv really sucks. They cover only the sports where some Italian is competing, and we don't even get a glimpse of the other sports.

In all the Olympic Games I have seen in my life I remember never seeing a game of handball, or badminton, or hockey, or women football (which is a non-entity in a country totally obsessed with male football)... sometimes it would be good to show some spors just to try and get more people interested in them...but no!

Of course, I'm talking about national tv... if you have Sky, you can watch 100% of everything, but I don't have Sky!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 Times in 1,165 Posts

And Eurosport? Here in the Netherlands we can watch that and our national tv, the Belgium national tv, the BBC and the German national tv. So almost all sports can be seen, if the sport in question is still not broadcasted, there are streams on the site of our national tv. So thank god we don't have to miss anything. (It drives me nuts sometimes.)

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    I'm always torn on whether to root for Serbian athletes - I shudder thinking of the media frenzy if they win, the big reception in the Belgrade square with thousands of people shouting like crazy, the politicians taking pictures with the athletes and everyone getting 'patriotic' and shouting that "we" are the best and "we" won. No, we didn't - they (he/she in individual sports) did.
    I can't talk for all countries, but I know the same happens in the Netherlands (And more extreme, we already start celebrating and cheering at the Holland Heineken House in London.) and it doesn't bother me at all. The same happened last World Cup when our football team made it to the finals, the whole country went crazy. The last matches were watched by 13-14 million people here, we only have 16 million, because it became a national party. It's not a nasty kind of patriotic. Is it over the top? Sure, but it's harmess and if people want to get drunk in an orange lionsuit because a Dutch athlete won gold, I hope they have a great time.

I also feel that big sport events, especially the Olympics are about countries. From the medal standings (ranked by country) to the openings ceremony where all athletes enter the arena under the flag of their country. Why do you think the three athletes from the former country Netherlands Antilles participate under the Olympic flag? They don't feel Dutch (despite being that since last year), so they said no to the offer to join the Dutch team. They found that more important than the comforts of joining a big and rich Olympic team. There is certainly a feel (also with the athletes) of being there for their countries.

And the playful patriotism often brings in fun competition with other countries. Like all small countries we like it to beat the big neighbour, no win is as great as a win against Germany. (Sadly enough the Germans kick our asses this summer over and over.)
    Last edited by Nina; 09-08-12 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,104 Posts

No, we don't have Eurosport, and we don't get any foreign channel. We only have RAI's coverage, and it sucks (more than usual this time, since they lost most of the rights for the Olympics to Sky, and so RAI can air only a small amount of the events). Italians are used to paying a lot of taxes to have a crappy service, anyway.

Talking about athletes and pressure, we have been shocked by an unexpected doping case in the last few days. An Italian marathon runner (current Olympic champion) has been stressing over the upcoming games and caved to doping... and then purposely let himself be tested by the anti-doping squad (when he could have skipped the test) because he wanted it all to be over, he couldn't take the pressure and this life anymore. So he consciously decided to ruin his whole career and reputation to be disqualified and be able to completely change life.

That's what the pressure to win from a whole people can do to someone!! Very sad for the poor guy.

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (09-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 Times in 1,165 Posts

That's so sad, especially because he already was an Olympic hero and now his name is ruined forever. It must be a horror to stand there while you know that a whole country is counting on you, assuming you will be the best.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Francy View Post
    When it comes to the minor sports, Italian tv really sucks. They cover only the sports where some Italian is competing, and we don't even get a glimpse of the other sports.

In all the Olympic Games I have seen in my life I remember never seeing a game of handball, or badminton, or hockey, or women football (which is a non-entity in a country totally obsessed with male football)... sometimes it would be good to show some spors just to try and get more people interested in them...but no!

Of course, I'm talking about national tv... if you have Sky, you can watch 100% of everything, but I don't have Sky!
    Fortunately, we don't have athletes competing in that many sports, and at this point there's just one left, I believe, where we still have athletes competing, which helps the TV coverage!

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    And Eurosport? Here in the Netherlands we can watch that and our national tv, the Belgium national tv, the BBC and the German national tv. So almost all sports can be seen, if the sport in question is still not broadcasted, there are streams on the site of our national tv. So thank god we don't have to miss anything. (It drives me nuts sometimes.)
    Here they passed a law a few years ago that regional channels that people can receive by cable will be scrambled while they're broadcasting big sports events live, if our main TV stations (which usually means the state TV) are broadcasting them at the same time (which is why HRT 2, the 2nd channel of the Croatian national TV is constantly being scrambled during the Olympic Games, while their 1st channel which has regular programming can be seen normally). But we can watch Eurosport. We don't get Sky, and only get BBC World, and BBC Prime but it's pay-per-view.

I can't talk for all countries, but I know the same happens in the Netherlands (And more extreme, we already start celebrating and cheering at the Holland Heineken House in London.) and it doesn't bother me at all. The same happened last World Cup when our football team made it to the finals, the whole country went crazy. The last matches were watched by 13-14 million people here, we only have 16 million, because it became a national party. It's not a nasty kind of patriotic. Is it over the top? Sure, but it's harmess and if people want to get drunk in an orange lionsuit because a Dutch athlete won gold, I hope they have a great time.

I also feel that big sport events, especially the Olympics are about countries. From the medal standings (ranked by country) to the openings ceremony where all athletes enter the arena under the flag of their country. Why do you think the three athletes from the former country Netherlands Antilles participate under the Olympic flag? They don't feel Dutch (despite being that since last year), so they said no to the offer to join the Dutch team. They found that more important than the comforts of joining a big and rich Olympic team. There is certainly a feel (also with the athletes) of being there for their countries.

And the playful patriotism often brings in fun competition with other countries. Like all small countries we like it to beat the big neighbour, no win is as great as a win against Germany. (Sadly enough the Germans kick our asses this summer over and over.)
    It's all nice when they don't go overboard with it. We all know it wasn't that nice in the past when it comes to the Olympics, with USA and USSR bringing politics into Olympics and making a mockery out of it. I hate when the media go too far with it - and yeah, I know it happens everywhere (as in Euro 1996 when English tabloids were referencing WW2 when England was playing Germany in the semi?!) - doesn't make me like it any more than I do. I especially hate it when politicians start milking the success of any athlete, taking pictures with them and giving speeches and mentioning them 1000 times as "the best ambassadors of our country" etc. - last year our (now former) minister of foreign affairs managed to become the head of the Tennis association and talked more about Djokovic than he did about his main job, and president Tadic also did his best to take pictures and appear in celebrations and talk about him as much as he could. It all feels very "uh, let's forget about the fact that the unemployment is something like 20% - hey, Djokovic won Wimbledon and became #1, we're the best country ever - look, shiny!"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Sky (10-08-12)