Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My country, Australia is bombing in the Olympics. Happy me!

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Default My country, Australia is bombing in the Olympics. Happy me!

Australia is obsessed with sport. Sport comes before everything. The arts, the disabled? Forget it. Sport comes first.

Oh and poker machines in clubs. Gambling and sport. Welcome to Australia.

I look forward to Olympic annihilation .

Am I wrong?
    “Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
    Aristophanes

Thanks
    Thanked 9,391 Times in 3,921 Posts

Yeah to the Olympics!!!! I have got it on virtually 100% of my waking hours.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

beech (04-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,098 Posts

Here - Italy - the only sports people are obsessed about are football and Formula 1, and that's as spectators, not as active participants. The state doesn't really support the minor sports (there are no infrastructures), and as a consequence the whole sport sector is having quite a rough time. We used to dominate in so many sports, and now it's all gone down the toilet.

In London we aren't doing well (the sports where we had a chance to win are almost over, so the medal count should stay as it is), these will probably be the most disastrous Olympics in quite some time, for us...

...which makes me sad, but that's probably what we deserve!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Francy For This Useful Post:

beech (04-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 2,040 Posts

I'm kind of glad Australia is bombing, to be honest. And I'm even more glad that the UK had a quick rush of gold and are now so far in front of us. I love Australia but when it comes to sport we can be really arrogant and I think we need a bit of humiliation to humble us. And since Aussies love to give the UK such a hard time it just rubs salt in the wound that they're kicking our arses.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

beech (04-08-12),Buffaholic_Bel (09-08-12),Stoney (03-08-12)

Thanks

Ha! I don't feel any inter-nation competitiveness particularly, though I must confess I still live on the glory of the 2003 Rugby World Cup final, cracking match, but of course that is a non-Olympic sport.

I am really enjoying the Olympics mainly because I don't get Sky so it is a great chance for me to see lots of different sports I love that I rarely get a chance to watch. GB winning medals is a bonus if it happens.

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I am very pleased to see Great Britain doing well. From the reports they are putting on a fine Olympics. More power to the Brits.

It costs the Australian taxpayer $675,000.00 to send a single swimmer to the Olympics. We have many swimmers competing. Meanwhile, as I said above, money is taken away from infrastructure, reading support and so much more that is needed in the community. Government schools are starved of funding...one school I know has a budget of $600.00 per year to support it's music program.
    “Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
    Aristophanes

Library Researcher Tranquillity's Avatar
    Thanks

Go Australia! Sorry to disagree, but I love the Olympics and I love sport and I love to watch Australians competing in all kinds of sport. I think Australia is giving a sterling effort at the games (get it? All those silver medals we've won )

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tranquillity For This Useful Post:

Beck (05-08-12),mulliganstew (10-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,010 Times in 990 Posts

I think it's really important to invest money in sports and a part of that is the Olympics. People are often inspired by their national Olympic heroes, especally kids. Take away the expensive tournaments (Olympic, World Cups) and people will see no sport anymore, no longer visible athletes who inspire childeren to go out and sport.

But talking about the Australian team, is there any clear backlash over the female teams having to fly economy class while male teams are allowed to fly business class, in Australia?

--edit--
    Oh I see that the male teams go the money of the sponsors, that explains a bit more. Not that it still isn't sexism since the female teams get less despite doing better at previous Olympics. But okay at least it wasn't tax money.

Well the Dutch don't have their best Olympics, only 6 medals yet. But I've a lot of fun watching the games.
    Last edited by Nina; 04-08-12 at 05:41 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Beck (05-08-12),Tranquillity (04-08-12)

Library Researcher Tranquillity's Avatar
    Thanks

About the flights - for the Olympics all sporting bodies are given funding towards their transport to the Olympics; each sport then decides how they spend it. The Boomers (men's basketball) opted for business class while the Opals (women's basketball) booked economy (and presumably pocketed any left over money).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tranquillity For This Useful Post:

Nina (04-08-12)

Thanks

Thanks for replying.

So the Basketball federation in Australia got their budget and decided to book good places for the men and economy class tickets for the women?

Or both teams got the same amount and the female team decided to spend their money on something else? If that's the case, why the backlash?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 2,040 Posts

I think it was that they both got the same amount of money and then the male and females individually got to decide how to spend it. The men decided to spend more and fly business and the females decided to save more and go economy.

I think the backlash was more a misunderstanding because people wrongly assumed that if the men were flying business and the women weren't that some double standard was in play. But it was later explained to be a choice by the female team to fly economy.

If I'm wrong somebody correct me!!!

Edit: Now I'm not so sure. I just read an article with the Chief of basketball Australia saying that changes will be made to ensure travel equality for both the male and female team. So it didn't seem like a choice by the girls at all. *is confused*
    Last edited by vampmogs; 04-08-12 at 11:27 AM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Nina (04-08-12),Tranquillity (04-08-12)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

I had no idea about those flights. Go girls!

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me so please feel free to post contrary ideas. When it comes to sport I am a bit of a bore. I only love cricket. There, I said it.
    Aristophanes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beech View Post
    It costs the Australian taxpayer $675,000.00 to send a single swimmer to the Olympics. We have many swimmers competing. Meanwhile, as I said above, money is taken away from infrastructure, reading support and so much more that is needed in the community. Government schools are starved of funding...one school I know has a budget of $600.00 per year to support it's music program.
    I understand your dislike in terms of how money can be better spent when sport is, essentially, recreational in nature. The thing that I like about The Olympics is the same reason that I love watching the annual cheesy event that is Eurovision(!) and that is that internationally countries tend to pull together for war and business. Anything that pulls people together in a form of positive (albeit competitive) celebration is fantastic as far as I am concerned. Investment in something that is positive and shows younger generations acceptance of each other and that we can support and cheer for each other is a good thing.

It is also a challenge to my appalling geography for occasions when my daughter asks me where a country is and I sometimes go through a scenario such as yesterday where I stumble and mumble through whether Argentina is near Spain or in South America! I'm not kidding, my world geography is simply shocking and displays an utter gulf in my knowledge. I may be studying for a masters but this is the thing I could justifiably benefit from sitting in a class with 6yr olds for!! Google maps is my saviour, so The Olympics is educational for me too, ha!!

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I understand your dislike in terms of how money can be better spent when sport is, essentially, recreational in nature. The thing that I like about The Olympics is the same reason that I love watching the annual cheesy event that is Eurovision(!) and that is that internationally countries tend to pull together for war and business. Anything that pulls people together in a form of positive (albeit competitive) celebration is fantastic as far as I am concerned. Investment in something that is positive and shows younger generations acceptance of each other and that we can support and cheer for each other is a good thing.

It is also a challenge to my appalling geography for occasions when my daughter asks me where a country is and I sometimes go through a scenario such as yesterday where I stumble and mumble through whether Argentina is near Spain or in South America! I'm not kidding, my world geography is simply shocking and displays an utter gulf in my knowledge. I may be studying for a masters but this is the thing I could justifiably benefit from sitting in a class with 6yr olds for!! Google maps is my saviour, so The Olympics is educational for me too, ha!!
    This is the reason I joined this forum. Intelligent and insightful points of view. Sure there is a bit of bickering among some members, but even so at the heart of that is careful thought. I really appreciate this post. I get so caught up in the world of the arts that I forget other views. Or rather I fail to consider them. Posts such as this help liberate me from my fishbowl view. And I am most grateful. Thank you.
    Aristophanes

22. The Following User Says Thank You to beech For This Useful Post:

Stoney (04-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,657 Posts

I wish that NBC would never have started bothering tracking the "medal count". The Olympics are not a race between the nations participating. Spoilers -- China and the US are always going to be 1/2 or 2/1, just like the US and USSR were. It's not that interesting. More athletes training for more events yields more medals.

I am proud when athletes representing us do well, since these are people who you actually will intersect with ('96 Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics Shannon Miller does a radio show where I live) or they could be a neighbor or they could have been you. So the US has an upstart silver in Men's Archery, woot! First Judo champion we've had, woot! again.

To those in countries who are really into football/soccer, is Olympic Gold a big deal? I get the impression from watching that it is but a trinket compared to a Euro Cup or a World Cup. I ask because it's weird because... Olympic Hockey is a BIG DEAL to hockey playing countries.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,098 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    To those in countries who are really into football/soccer, is Olympic Gold a big deal? I get the impression from watching that it is but a trinket compared to a Euro Cup or a World Cup. I ask because it's weird because... Olympic Hockey is a BIG DEAL to hockey playing countries.
    No, it's not a big deal. Most countries don't even send the best team possible, but the Under 21 Team, joined by a couple of famous players if they are willing to go.

It should be a bigger deal, imo, but unfortunately a lucrative sport like football doesn't really gel very well with the Olympic spirit... not anymore!

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks

I think that football is one of the rare sports that doesn't really belong on the Olympics, because Olympic gold means less to them than winning the World Cup. The Olympic teams are junior teams with players younger than 21 (I think) plus 1 or 2 older players, the best are simply not there. I would prefer them giving the football spot to a sport which values the Olympics and where the best athletes/players will show up.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,657 Posts

I'm not a big fan of team sports in the Olympics in general, to be honest. I don't mean team events like the team all-around in Gymnastics or team Archery or swimming relays; team events in individual sports, basically. But team sports just don't really fit to me. Not even basketball, which isn't even fun anymore -- since the US "took the gloves off" and started sending pros in basketball like everyone else, it went from being a proud thing to watch them compete to being something you watch to see what sort of ridiculous diva act will unfold or to just be embarrassed if they don't win, like 2004. I think they should have let 1992 been a one time thing.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Well, I'm sat watching the mixed doubles semifinal hoping Murray and Robson get through. Tomorrow I will be on the edge of my seat watching the men's final gold medal tennis match praying to anything that will listen for Murray to kick ass and as delighted and overjoyed as I will be if he wins gold it will be 90% of the joy I would get if he had won Wimbledon.

The team sports I don't think are the same but any medals, achievements etc I just think are great. It is all such a feel good factor I'm on a natural high!!

Thanks

I love watching the olympics and I love individual sports myself, but Canada is generally pretty disappointing at the summer olympics. I think there is more of a sports push in eastern Canada, but for us out in the west, there is never really anybody looking out for possible high level athletes, and very little available to develop the talent there is, here. Canada finally got their first gold for this games in trampoline. Yay. (no offence to the achievements of the athlete..it just isn't a sport that floats my boat)

I've been annoyed at some of the changes that have been made fairly recently with some of the scoring; for instance, I was watching boxing the other day and couldn't believe when one boxer won over the other. The one that won had looked to be on the defensive constantly, getting hit constantly, and just looking very weak in general...no style or presence whatsoever. But he won. Because they've made some changes to the scoring and now it is all about hitting people in a certain spot or something like that. Reminds me of the scoring in figure skating now...there is much less room for real grace and style, and so much of it is just about squeezing in as many jumps as possible, even if they are awkwardly placed. Blah.

Also, disappointed in the coverage there has been of equestrian events(on Canadian stations). I don't know why we have to watch every other sport and then they gloss over the equestrian stuff.

One other thing: track bike racing is dreadfully boring. Just "had" to watch that yesterday while waiting for an appointment.
    I have loved you. - Ser Jorah Mormont