Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Angel and Spike (and Captain Mal) in the TV's Best Bad Boy competition

Thanks

Please, guys, make your vote for Spike. He needs only 1 % to win !
    maked by plamivasi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Quick quick, if Spike pulled you into the show, he is currently (just) losing to Damon in the online vote. See the link in this post from TTB.

Please, guys, make your vote for Spike. He needs only 1 % to win !
    maked by plamivasi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to _Buffy_ For This Useful Post:

Stoney (02-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,029 Times in 5,806 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    The poll is open for 48 hours. We should check when it was posted.

What is PDT? Pacific time?
    I think so which, on British time would give us until 2.30am on Fri 3rd August. We're just about half way through.

It is .08% against Spike at the moment, it is going to be close. Short of trying to get people I know to vote from multiple computers/phones, I've run out of people I can just ask to vote who would be willing to and wouldn't think it was funny to vote for Damon instead.
    Last edited by Stoney; 02-08-12 at 01:18 AM.

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Smile

Quick quick, if Spike pulled you into the show, he is currently (just) losing to Damon in the online vote. See the link in this post from TTB.

I voted for Spike.

Thanks for the link. I sure hope James wins. He was masterful as Spike.
    “Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
    Aristophanes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beech For This Useful Post:

Stoney (02-08-12)

Thanks

Damon is pulling away 52.09%. I can't think of anything else that I can do to try and up the votes for Spike. So much for King's assertion that Spike wins anything he is included in!!! Perhaps it would have helped if you had voted for him and not Damon King, grrrrr!

Thanks

Spike just got my vote, for what it's worth

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:

Stoney (02-08-12),sueworld (02-08-12)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 613 Posts

Thanks and he did mine. Pity It's looking like he's going to loose though.

Oh well, pretty damn good for a rep from a dead show.
    Last edited by sueworld; 02-08-12 at 03:10 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sueworld For This Useful Post:

Giles (02-08-12),Stoney (02-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,104 Posts

What bugs me is not that Spike lost, but that he lost to Damon, who I consider extremely overrated...but I'm powerless against his hoards of fans LOL

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks

Just voted! And for Spike of course
    For me no male will ever live up to the greatness that is Spike.
    In a way he has kinda ruined my life hahaha.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,859 Posts

I think so which, on British time would give us until 2.30am on Fri 3rd August. We're just about half way through.

It is .08% against Spike at the moment, it is going to be close. Short of trying to get people I know to vote from multiple computers/phones, I've run out of people I can just ask to vote who would be willing to and wouldn't think it was funny to vote for Damon instead.
    I didn't think it was funny so much as I thought it was accurate. Better vampire mythology for one, but even between the two, it's more 'bad boy'-ish when the evil schemes actually work from time to time, and when the ones go sideways they do it in a usually much more grandiose fashion. I'd consider "Ripper Stefan" a badder bad boy, too. Buffyverse is kinda Mickey Mouse on moral ambivalence a lot of the time.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Francy View Post
    What bugs me is not that Spike lost, but that he lost to Damon, who I consider extremely overrated...but I'm powerless against his hoards of fans LOL
    "... so that's what that feels like."

-- Batman, The Dark Knight Rises

Many an internet poll has come and gone in which Spike has gone through for no reason other than hordes of fans, I assure you Also, it is genuinely possible to make an argument that Damon is just a badder 'bad boy'.

Banner by LRae12

Banned
    Thanks

But weren't you the one who said he'd sail through?

I always thought this wouldn't work out for him as such a recent popular show as this one would be tough competition.

Banned
    Thanks

Where as I found Vampire dairies (thats who he's from right?) to be utter boring old tripe. I stuck with it for only a couple of episodes, so maybe it improved?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sueworld View Post
    Where as I found Vampire dairies (thats who he's from right?) to be utter boring old tripe. I stuck with it for only a couple of episodes, so maybe it improved?
    Actually... yeah. I bought the DVD set when it went down to $19.99 US and had seen people talking about the show, but the first few episodes are pretty labored. There's a mini-arc that sort of straddles the fourth-fifth episode in which the series actually announced its arrival, before that I was kinda looking at my watch a bit. I'd say give it another look, and to consciously force yourself to not watch it trying to find reasons it's not as good as "Buffy" but just as what it is.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 726 Posts

Offtopic posts from the What First Drew You to BTVS thread have been merged with this thread.

It is not appropriate to take a discussion thread off topic like it was.

If promoting a poll must be done, it needs to be by visitor messages or pms to those you think interested.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

I agree with Francy, that Damon is overrated. Spike was the first. But it is not the reason . His character is far more well- founded than Damon' character. For me, Damon is pale copy of Spike.

EDIT : I see now. The poll is changed. At least Spike and Angel wins now.
    Last edited by _Buffy_; 03-08-12 at 12:39 PM.
    maked by plamivasi

Thanks
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 2,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    I didn't think it was funny so much as I thought it was accurate. Better vampire mythology for one, but even between the two, it's more 'bad boy'-ish when the evil schemes actually work from time to time, and when the ones go sideways they do it in a usually much more grandiose fashion. I'd consider "Ripper Stefan" a badder bad boy, too. Buffyverse is kinda Mickey Mouse on moral ambivalence a lot of the time.
    Spike lost to Damon and Eric in the latest SFX Greatest vampires poll, and to Damon and the Supernatural guys in the Sexiest SF/F characters poll, so nope, he doesn't win every poll.

As for TVD: I don't really care for the intricacies of the vampire mythology nearly as much as the quality of writing and acting and the depth of characters and the story, and BtVS is so superior to TVD in those respects that it's ridiculous to compare them.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Spike lost to Damon and Eric in the latest SFX Greatest vampires poll, and to Damon and the Supernatural guys in the Sexiest SF/F characters poll, so nope, he doesn't win every poll.

As for TVD: I don't really care for the intricacies of the vampire mythology nearly as much as the quality of writing and acting and the depth of characters and the story, and BtVS is so superior to TVD in those respects that it's ridiculous to compare them.
    No, it isn't remotely ridiculous to compare them, and there are dimensions on which it is "Buffy" found wanting. The two biggest of which are that so much more just... happens on that show. That such a thing as the Buffy Formula exists and is easily identified is part of the argument. Very little of dire importance or surprise would happen episode to episode, whereas any given week, TVD might flip the whole show upside down. And there is something to be said about all the characters being very fallible, almost always going from doing something awesome to something crappy.

Buffy is still the more essential show. As opposed to TVD, it is basically a superhero show, and as such is much more aspirational. Plus, Buffy has... mostly had, anyway... the metaphorical layer on which monsters were life. It is as a function of this difference, that TVD has more latitude to let one or more of its characters be 'bad' in more ways, because there is no superhero ethos the show has to uphold for the lead characters.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

I quite like VD and Damon is by far my favourite character but the characters don't have a fraction of the depth of the Buffyverse characters and the show's storylines are predictable and repetitive (I can't believe how many piggin dances and events they have there!!).

Damon skirts around being a bad boy but it is more that he has an attitude problem than anything else and he shares an impulsive streak with Spike. But Spike has been more outwardly 'bad' in the course of BtVS and in his reported history than I have ever heard of with Damon (I didn't see all of S1 VD). I think Spike retains an edge to him I have never even seen in Damon and a lot of that probably comes with the hang on of not wanting to participate in frippery and social nicety. I think Damon is supposed to have had his reign of terror but historically not as infamously as William the Bloody and it isn't particularly any more current than Spike's. Stephan on the other hand has, in front of us, rippered his way around with Klaus which is probably the equivalent to Spike in the Scourge era but that is also not currently happening. Damon is all noise and no action in terms of a bad boy he wears the attitude but with little achievement. To me Damon is to vampiric badassedry what Wile E Coyote is to cartoon villainy.

There is about 7.5hrs left and Damon is on 52.63% so it isn't looking likely that Spike will pull it back, so frustrating.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 2,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    No, it isn't remotely ridiculous to compare them, and there are dimensions on which it is "Buffy" found wanting. The two biggest of which are that so much more just... happens on that show. That such a thing as the Buffy Formula exists and is easily identified is part of the argument. Very little of dire importance or surprise would happen episode to episode, whereas any given week, TVD might flip the whole show upside down. And there is something to be said about all the characters being very fallible, almost always going from doing something awesome to something crappy.
    Yeah, that's the appeal of TVD - lots of plot. And some more plot. And more plot. It's entertaining in the 'let's see what happens next' way (and has a lot of pretty people.) There's very little depth and meaning to it all, it doesn't play with its format, it has little humor, it's not particularly original or interesting. The characters are fallible but it means very little since none of them have particularly strong characterizations, and the show barely ever calls anyone on anything. And, with a couple of exceptions, pretty much everyone is competing in who gets to sacrificing themselves the most for those they care about, all the time - it's like Sacrifice Olympics - but they're all very morally myopic: it's all about protecting their family and/or their friends and/or their beloved, who gives a crap about other people in the world, and we're obviously supposed to admire that. Granted, I have only seen the first 2 seasons and the first couple of episodes of season 3, but does anyone ever have a moment where they tell someone that "bystanders", people you don't know, also matter?
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

vampmogs (05-08-12)