Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angel and Spike (and Captain Mal) in the TV's Best Bad Boy competition

Thanks
    Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,214 Posts

Default Angel and Spike (and Captain Mal) in the TV's Best Bad Boy competition

TV line has a 'tournament' of TV's so-called "bad boys". In round one, Spike is up against Klaus from The Vampire Diaries, while Angel is up against some guy I've never heard of from some show I'm not familiar with (Noel Kahn from Pretty Little Liars).

http://tvline.com/2012/06/27/ultimat...rnament-day-3/

They're both winning at the moment, Angel by almost 90% and Spike by 70%.

The real fight will start in the second round when they'll be up against each other.

Earlier, Mal Reynolds was up against Jack Harkness and the poll seems still to be open, with Mal winning by some 75%. http://tvline.com/2012/06/26/ultimat...rnament-day-2/ It seems that he'll go against Dean Winchester in the next round, who is beating Christian Kane's Elliot Spencer (Leverage).
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Stoney (29-06-12),ubi4soft (28-06-12)

Thanks

In the 2nd round, Captain Mal is narrowly leading against Dean Winchester. http://tvline.com/2012/07/15/ultimat...nament-day-19/

I expect the Angel vs Spike showdown to be soon.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Veiriti (16-07-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,831 Times in 5,310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    In the 2nd round, Captain Mal is narrowly leading against Dean Winchester. http://tvline.com/2012/07/15/ultimat...nament-day-19/

I expect the Angel vs Spike showdown to be soon.
    Had to vote Mal, love that guy. Can't wait for A v S.

Thanks

Angel vs Spike is on now - Spike is winning by a large margin.

I'm surprised that Sylar is beating Rumplestilskin. Rumple is really popular, and while Sylar was, I thought everyone was disillusioned with Heroes. And let's face it, while Zachary Quinto was great in the role, the writing for his character made no sense whatsoever. Or writing for any character on the show , for that matter. On the other hand, Rumplestilskin/Gold is great all around, well-written and superbly acted.

http://tvline.com/2012/07/17/ultimat...nament-day-21/

Meanwhile, you can still vote for Logan Echolls of Veronica Mars vs Tim Riggins of Friday Nights Lights. (I haven't seen FNL, but I doubt that anyone can compete with Logan... except for Spike, of course!) ... And some other 2 guys are up against each other but I have no idea who they are. http://tvline.com/2012/07/16/ultimat...nament-day-20/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Veiriti (18-07-12)

Hellmouth Tourist Iwantthefireback's Avatar
    Thanks

I really don't understand why Angel is in this....he isn't a bad boy. More like a , "play by the rules" boy.

But yay for Spike!
    "Party in my eye socket and everyone's invited!"

Thanks

Just voted and Spike is at 64.79%. YAY!!!

(obviously I voted for Spike, you knew that, I didn't need to say it ).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantthefireback View Post
    I really don't understand why Angel is in this....he isn't a bad boy. More like a , "play by the rules" boy.

But yay for Spike!
    He's a vampire with a dark past - and occasionally dark present! - see AtS seasons 2-5, not to mention his "Angelus" stints! Angel is far more of a bad boy than most of the characters in the bracket (Jordan Catalano, for instance, isn't a bad boy at all, just a dopey shallow teen who looked brooding and mysterious but that was because he just didn't have much to say. Not doing good at school doesn't make you a bad boy!)

I've seen the bracket and IIRC Spike and Logan are in different halves? Can we have a Spike vs Logan final?
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 18-07-12 at 02:01 AM.

Thanks

He's a vampire with a dark past - and occasionally dark present! - see AtS seasons 2-5, not to mention his "Angelus" stints! Angel is far more of a bad boy than most of the characters in the bracket (Jordan Catalano, for instance, isn't a bad boy at all, just a dopey shallow teen who looked brooding and mysterious but that was because he just didn't have much to say. Not doing good at school doesn't make you a bad boy!)

I've seen the bracket and IIRC Spike and Logan are in different halves? Can we have a Spike vs Logan final?
    Every time I think of Angel being a 'nice' good guy I think of him leaving that guy to become a werewolf with that group who wanted to eat one, as his retribution. There is always an edge to Angel, Angelus being a natural part of him.

I can't seem to access the list of all those in the game, can anyone pop a link in? Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,104 Posts

I voted for Spike because, let's face it, I'll always vote for Spike, even if the poll is about who makes the best coffee.

But I'm -ing the comments under the poll very much right now, they are really illustrative of everything that I hate about this fandom and that drove me away from anything Btvs-related for a long time, a few years ago.

*stays in this corner of the fandom, where at least people are able to form reasoned arguments... for the most part*

|LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

Thanks
    Thanked 8,790 Times in 2,667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Every time I think of Angel being a 'nice' good guy I think of him leaving that guy to become a werewolf with that group who wanted to eat one, as his retribution. There is always an edge to Angel, Angelus being a natural part of him.
    Angel only did that to scare him. At the end of the episode it's actually revealed that Angel had Gunn shut the place down permanently. Sorry, just thought I'd mention this as a lot of people cite this moment as being particularly ruthless of Angel but they miss the very brief line in the following scene that actually establishes that he was only bluffing.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Thanks
    Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,256 Posts

I'm confused, when did "bad boy" became the same category as "mass murdering evil boy"? I agree, Angel is no original bad boy (Angelus can be argued), neither are Klaus, Stefan, Dexter, Sylar etc. Spike and Damon also crossed the lines, but have at least the original bad boy image and if they stop killing and torturing (well I guess Damon will never do that.) they will be 'normal' bad boys.

When I think Bad Boy I think Jess Moriano in Gilmore Girls, Logan Echolls in Veronica Mars or James Franco's character in Freaks and Geeks. Or Faith when we just met her, if we are allowed to name bad girls. The loners who break the law sometimes, who kick against the system... the rebels, troublemakers.

But it doesn't matter which group you call the bad boys, it's pretty difficult to argue that characters like Logan can be compared to characters like Klaus.
    Last edited by Nina; 18-07-12 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks

I can't seem to access the list of all those in the game, can anyone pop a link in? Cheers.
    You can't vote for all the pairings, just those posted in the last 72 hours since this is how long the poll is open. I normally go to the tvline's website and see the newest poll, then check the previous couple of ones by clicking on the "Bracket tournaments" tag.

http://tvline.com/category/bracket-tournaments/

In the meantime, it looks like Dean Winchester is now in the lead against Mal. Here are the latest results of the last 3 polls:

Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles), Supernatural 50.61%

Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds (Nathan Fillion), Firefly 49.39%

-------------------------------------------------------
    Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch), Sherlock 55.58%

Peter Bishop (Joshua Jackson), Fringe 44.42%

-------------------

Neal Caffrey (Matt Bomer), White Collar 75.5%

Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht), Suits 24.5%

---------------------------------------------
    Logan Echolls (Jason Dohring), Veronica Mars 60.43%

Tim Riggins (Taylor Kitsch), Friday Night Lights 39.57%
    ------------------------------

Angel (David Boreanaz), Buffy/Angel 35.07%

Spike (James Marsters), Buffy the Vampire Slayer 64.93%

---------------------------
    Sylar (Zachary Quinto), Heroes 53.81%

Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold (Robert Carlyle), Once Upon a Time 46.19%

Great to see Logan winning, sad to see Rumple losing - I love ZQ but Sylar was horribly written.
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 18-07-12 at 12:21 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Stoney (18-07-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Angel only did that to scare him. At the end of the episode it's actually revealed that Angel had Gunn shut the place down permanently. Sorry, just thought I'd mention this as a lot of people cite this moment as being particularly ruthless of Angel but they miss the very brief line in the following scene that actually establishes that he was only bluffing.
    All it says is...

GUNN
    Don't mean to talk shop, but Crane's Bistro of the Bizarre...?

ANGEL
    Out of business. Permanently.

...I don't feel like that means he has saved Dr Royce, those people had already paid!

Wasn't there a souled!Angel decision that involved a lawyer killing incident with Dru he let happen? Having not seen much at all of 1-4 I'm limited in my Dark!Angel knowledge but I hope it crops up throughout as it is one of the most interesting things about him.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,790 Times in 2,667 Posts

All it says is...

GUNN
    Don't mean to talk shop, but Crane's Bistro of the Bizarre...?

ANGEL
    Out of business. Permanently.

...I don't feel like that means he has saved Dr Royce, those people had already paid!
    Well, Angel himself says that they wouldn't be able to eat Dr Royce until the following month (for the next full moon) and seeing as how Angel shuts the business down the very next day, at the latest, I believe we're meant to think they had no choice but to let him go.

Wasn't there a souled!Angel decision that involved a lawyer killing incident with Dru he let happen? Having not seen much at all of 1-4 I'm limited in my Dark!Angel knowledge but I hope it crops up throughout as it is one of the most interesting things about him.
    Yup. It's fairly complicated but in S2 Angel locks a bunch of W&H lawyers in a wine cellar with Darla and Dru. Earlier in the episode Holland Manners, the Head of Special Projects at the firm, had this exchange with Angel;

ANGEL: You set things in motion, play your little games up here in your glass and chrome tower, and people die. Innocent people.

HOLLAND: And yet I just can't seem to care. (Angel stares at him and Holland smiles ever so slightly) But you do. And while you're making threats, wasting time, crashing through windows, your girls are out painting the town red, red, red.

And then later in the episode when Angel arrives at the cellar, he echoes Holland's words to him

HOLLAND: Angel please. People are going to die.
    ANGEL: And yet somehow I just can't seem to care (closes the doors shut and locks them)

He allows Darla and Dru to kill Holland along with several other lawyers. Itís incredibly dark and a very chilling moment but it was in the middle of a story arc where W&H were working 24/7 to torment Angel and drive him crazy. Angel finally snaps.

You should really watch S1-S4 of AtS! I prefer BtVS as well but AtS still is a great show and has some amazing episodes and storylines!
    - "The earth is doomed" -

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Stoney (18-07-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Well, Angel himself says that they wouldn't be able to eat Dr Royce until the following month (for the next full moon) and seeing as how Angel shuts the business down the very next day, at the latest, I believe we're meant to think they had no choice but to let him go.
    I think you are probably right but Royce was a danger and I didn't see Angel arranging to see him and keep him 'safe' or offering to snuggle up to him at the next full moon so perhaps he felt that it was a completed transaction!! (I'm not really suggesting that as even likely, I'm just not completely ruling it out! ).

You should really watch S1-S4 of AtS! I prefer BtVS as well but AtS still is a great show and has some amazing episodes and storylines!
    I know, they are definitely on my hit list to get this year.

Thanks

This is the entire bracket: http://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.co..._results16.jpg

They sure are taking the term 'bad boy' very broadly - they have everyone from mass murderers, to shady people with conflicted loyalties, to classic rebel/troublemaker types, to people who aren't bad at all and only seem to fit the term very loosely because they drink a bit too much sometimes or do badly at school or whatever.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Stoney (19-07-12)

Hellmouth Tourist Iwantthefireback's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahhh I LOVE Logan Echolls. Always have and always will.
    "Party in my eye socket and everyone's invited!"

Thanks

I LOVE the character of Daryl Dixon in Walking Dead. I wish it could have been a final between him and Spike. I hope he gets past Sawyer if/when they meet.

Pacey, Barney and House as 'bad boys'?!!!

Thanks

I LOVE the character of Daryl Dixon in Walking Dead. I wish it could have been a final between him and Spike. I hope he gets past Sawyer if/when they meet.

Pacey, Barney and House as 'bad boys'?!!!
    House certainly is (as long as you're not defining bad boy as a gangster or mass-murderer, which would then exclude Logan, Daryl Dixon and many others). Being rude and abrasive and shocking people with his behavior is his default method with everyone.

Barney is probably on the list because he's such an unbashed womanizer. Pacey, I don't know, haven't watched enough of Dawson's Creek.

I've just taken a look at the bracket and seen that Daniel Graystone from Revenge is on the list, and I really don't get that one. Granted, I'm only up to episode 13, so I don't know if he changes in some way for the 'bad', but how is he 'bad' by any means? I guess because he used to drink a bit too much frat boy-style and caused a car crash? But that's in the past, in the present he's a nice guy, especially compared to the majority of the characters on the show.

Thanks

House certainly is (as long as you're not defining bad boy as a gangster or mass-murderer, which would then exclude Logan, Daryl Dixon and many others). Being rude and abrasive and shocking people with his behavior is his default method with everyone.

Barney is probably on the list because he's such an unbashed womanizer. Pacey, I don't know, haven't watched enough of Dawson's Creek.

I've just taken a look at the bracket and seen that Daniel Graystone from Revenge is on the list, and I really don't get that one. Granted, I'm only up to episode 13, so I don't know if he changes in some way for the 'bad', but how is he 'bad' by any means? I guess because he used to drink a bit too much frat boy-style and caused a car crash? But that's in the past, in the present he's a nice guy, especially compared to the majority of the characters on the show.
    I can see what you mean with House, I don't know 'Revenge' at all. They obviously have just tried to make the list too big. Doesn't matter anyway, Spike will win.