Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Avengers

Evil Twin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Really? That doesn't sound like Xander to me at all, it sounds like Riley.

Xander has as much darkness as most of the human characters on BtVS (and as a vampire, as much as most vampires do), he isn't squeaky clean and strait-laced, he jokes and quips and makes geeky references a lot, and I don't see how he's shown to be conservative (unless disliking vampires counts as such)?
    Thats why it's called my opinion. I'm not the only person to see similarities. And I'm not struggling to make a connection either. I've had this opinion for a long time before the movie came out or they even announced they were making it.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Library Researcher Tranquillity's Avatar
    Thanks

Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny

Now I have to hang my head in shame... Which moment do you mean?
    I think she meant that the scene towards the beginning, when the SHIELD HQ was collapsing in on itself and the car was speeding away just ahead of the crumbling terrain, was very reminiscent of the end of Chosen when Sunnydale collapsed in on itself and the bus was driving away just ahead of the growing crater. That's what I thought anyway...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 606 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillity View Post
    I think she meant that the scene towards the beginning, when the SHIELD HQ was collapsing in on itself and the car was speeding away just ahead of the crumbling terrain, was very reminiscent of the end of Chosen when Sunnydale collapsed in on itself and the bus was driving away just ahead of the growing crater. That's what I thought anyway...
    Nope. Lol. See my post on the previous page.

And here was me thinking it was a very iconic moment. Although, that scene you described was another one. I'd forgotten about that.
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Tranquillity (07-05-12)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 613 Posts

By the way before youtube take it down here's the post credit scene that was only in the American version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfXtOK7eGCQ

Thanks
    Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,859 Posts

Poor, poor inverted Cam. Still, gets the point across. I don't think the scene is as satisfying out of context, though. In context, it was giggly fun.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,307 Posts

Which aspect of Xander did you see in Captain America? They don't seem similar at all. If I try to find a character in a Joss's show that's anything like him, it'd be season 4 Riley, with the whole 'strait-laced, traditional, wholesome hero' thing..
    And I wrote that before I got reminded (by the comments on Mark Watches site) that Xander called Riley "Captain America" in Shadow.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

I think part of Xander is captain america, but Riley is more like him. Xander can be a brave heroic soldier, but he also has a darkness inside him and he can be a total goof. Neither of which belongs to Captain America. The goof is Coulson and the darkness inside him is the Hulk. Which, kind of reminds me about Xander hulk-smashing that tile.

Well if that were the case, at least some of the characters would've been OOC some 70% of the time on BtVS, i.e. every time other writers were writing them and Joss didn't bother to rewrite everything. The show would've sucked if Joss had been the only writer to "understand" the characters (whatever that means; they aren't real people to be "understood", they are created by the writers.
    I didn't say understood. I said fully understood. And with that I mean 100% and capable of writing it. Other writers tend to write a particular aspect of the character more than the other aspects. For example, Jane has the habit of writing Xander more goofy than Joss does that. Douglas Petrie even more.
    Last edited by Koos; 12-05-12 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks

"The Avengers" is now being projected to do something... unthinkable. It's projected to gross $104 million this weekend, it's second weekend. First $100 million + second weekend US box office in history -- it's second weekend, in other words, would be good enough for 18th on the all-time list of opening weekends in the US box office.

After Friday, the US box office was just under $300 million, and the worldwide was at $832. So "Avengers" will probably be around $360, $370 in the US after this weekend and only 10 days in release, already into the top 20 in the US box office -- it's very possible it will be over $400 million at the start of its third weekend. That is also when the next big popcorn movie movie opens up against it, "Battleship", but honestly, I'm not sure it won't open behind "Avengers".

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Here’s the main problem with the Marvel universe: Where was the X-Men and the Fantastic Four?

For me, the movie didn’t live up to the hype. I perhaps could have waited till it came out on Blu-Ray. I only saw it at the theater because Joss Whedon was the writer and director.

Black Widow got some great character stuff and she managed to actually be useful. Hawkeye managed to be useful, but if he wasn’t
    Spoiler:
    forced to be a bad guy,
    he wouldn’t be that useful in the movie.

The character stuff for Hulk was great.

I do have a problem with Tony Stark suddenly being set up in New York. It’s not at all explained why he’s there and not still in Malibu.

I’m also very tired of movies making New York the most important city in the world. Why couldn’t a threat be directed at Silicon Valley? Or Los Angeles? At least then I wouldn’t have to think about where the X-Men and Fantastic Four are.

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 641 Posts

Mike, the movie rights for the Fantastc Four and the X-Men are held by FOX. They are not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And considering how crappy some of those moves are, I'm kinda glad of that. They may all take place in the same universe in the comics, but the same is not true in the Movieverse.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

Lyri (15-05-12),MikeB (25-05-12)

Thanks

Went and saw it a second time, only a half dozen people in the theatre (expected for first show on a Tuesday), so lose some of that crowd energy, but it was a lot of fun, more fun than the first time, even. There is just this inarticulable visual and thematic... poetry, really, to how "just so" everything comes together in the big action sequences -- how perfectly the jet is a way to get the Hulk out of the scene, how Thor getting stuck in the Hulk cage is great, especially since it had been made Chekhov's Hulk cage earlier. And then how just so perfectly you get almost every combination of Avenger duos fighting side by side.

This might sound odd, but I also came away from the second viewing kinda 'shipping Cap and Widow. I guess anybody so inclined would probably think Hawk, Hulk, or Tony before Cap, but now I want someone to make a Chris Evans/ScarJo romcom or something.

Banner by LRae12

Evil Twin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    This might sound odd, but I also came away from the second viewing kinda 'shipping Cap and Widow. I guess anybody so inclined would probably think Hawk, Hulk, or Tony before Cap, but now I want someone to make a Chris Evans/ScarJo romcom or something.
    It's not so weird. There are variations of the comics I believe that have them coupling up at some point, and the young avengers movie had a character who was the offspring of those two.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 613 Posts

Finally went and saw this yesturday.

I liked it weirdly enough. It was fun. Not anything world shatteringly different from many other movies of the same genre, but enjoyable nevertheless.

As characters I found poor old, Capt Cardboard/America fairly dull, as was Thor and Hawkeye, but I very much liked 'whats-his-face' as the new Hulk. Loved his kind of shifty, play-your-cards-close-to-your chest portrayal of the character. But my fav had to be silly old Tony Stark, who imo got all the best lines and who you missed from the screen every time he left it.

Black Widow? Well I'm tempted to say she was but Buffy/River in a leotard.

I suspect Whedon homed in on Tony Starks character a tad more because he was the one most suited to delivering his particular style of humour. In fact If you're even faintly familiar with Whedon's writing then not much of this movie will come as a surprise to you.

I do think it could have been cut far tighter though. You easily could have lost nearly an hour from the running time without any great loss to either pace nor story line.

As to Whedons writing. Hey it was okay. Far from his best, but considering all the attention this has got maybe better then your average writing of such a kind of movie. I just don't know.

Personally I still think I preferred the first Iron Man movie when it came to laughs mixed with action.

But hey, It was good and I'm sure It's managed to raise up Whedons working profile finally away from the 'yesterdays man' pile that I suspect many in Hollywood had him filed under.

And last word. Imo Buffy is still the best thing Whedon ever helped write/devised/produced. No question.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,117 Posts

Ultron in The Avengers sequel,'Avengers:Age Of Ultron' has officially been cast.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108318

James Spader Cast as Ultron in Avengers Sequel!
    Will play the villain in "Age of Ultron"

Source: Marvel
    August 29, 2013

Marvel has just announced that Emmy award-winning actor James Spader has been cast as Ultron in the upcoming sequel Avengers: Age of Ultron. Spader is most well known for playing Alan Shore on both "Boston Legal" and "The Practice," as well as Dr. Daniel Jackson in the Stargate movie.

Originally created by Hank Pym (Ant-Man) in the source material, Ultron has long been a chief villain for The Avengers since their inception.

Featuring favorites from the first "Avengers" film and new Marvel characters never before seen on the big screen, Avengers: Age of Ultron will open in theaters on May 1, 2015.

http://marvel.com/news/story/21099/e...endary_villain

EXCLUSIVE: 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Casts James Spader as the Film's Legendary Villain

The Emmy Award-winning actor set to play Ultron in the 2015 blockbuster!

Posted Aug 29, 2013

James Spader will face off against Earth’s Mightiest Heroes as the villain in Marvel’s "Avengers: Age of Ultron," the sequel to 2012’s record-breaking "Marvel’s The Avengers." The Emmy Award-winning actor will play Ultron in the Avengers’ much anticipated return to the big screen from writer/director Joss Whedon. The film comes to theaters on May 1, 2015.

Spader earned three Emmy Awards for his role as Alan Shore on "Boston Legal" and "The Practice," and will return to television this fall in NBC’s highly anticipated series "The Blacklist." Most recently Spader was seen in the critically-acclaimed film "Lincoln" directed by Steven Spielberg and has previously worked with a long list of accomplished film directors including David Cronenberg, Curtis Hansen, Sidney Lumet, Mike Nichols, Tim Robbins, Robert Rodriguez, Steven Soderbergh, and Oliver Stone. David Mamet also directed Spader in the Broadway play Race.

"Avengers: Age of Ultron" will bring the Marvel Universe’s biggest heroes together again to face one of their biggest villains, with "Marvel’s The Avengers" director Joss Whedon returning to write and direct the sequel. "Marvel’s The Avengers" was released in 2012 and went on to earn $1.5 billion worldwide, making it the third-largest grossing movie of all time.

Spader is represented by ICM Partners and his lawyer Melanie Cook at Ziffren Brittenham.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63897

In AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, Ultron Will Be Played By....

Published at: Aug. 29, 2013

Well, I’m guessing THESE rumors about Ultron in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON may not be shaking out after all - cuz Marvel just announced that James Spader got the gig.

Per an issuance via Marvel’s official site:

James Spader will face off against Earth’s Mightiest Heroes as the villain in Marvel’s "Avengers: Age of Ultron," the sequel to 2012’s record-breaking "Marvel’s The Avengers." The Emmy Award-winning actor will play Ultron in the Avengers’ much anticipated return to the big screen from writer/director Joss Whedon. The film comes to theaters on May 1, 2015.

Spader may be best (or most recently) remembered for his Emmy winning role on BOSTON LEGAL and THE PRACTICE, although long-time Geeks may recall his appearance opposite Kurt Russell as Stargate decoder Daniel Jackson in Emmerich & Devlin’s STARGATE. Back in the day he alao appeared in the John Hughes scripted PRETTY IN PINK, Oliver Stone’s WALL STREET, and the bigscreen adaptation of the Brett Easton Ellis novel LESS THAN ZERO.

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON will hit theaters May 2015.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/08/29...spader-ultron/

'Avengers: Age Of Ultron': Why James Spader Is The Perfect Ultron

by Splash Page Team

So, that came out of nowhere, right? With Elizabeth Olsen still in talks to play Scarlet Witch and Aaron Taylor-Johnson still nothing more than a rumor for Quicksilver, all of our attention was focused on who would be playing the good guys in "Avengers: Age of Ultron." Now, out of nowhere, with no warning and not even a few courtesy rumors, we know who Ultron is.

He's James Spader. And this is good news.

There isn't much news beyond just the actor's name, meaning we don't yet know if he will be physically portraying the role as some sort of human-looking menace, or if he'll just be lending his voice to a fully CG-character. Either way, though, the casting makes a lot of sense.

If you only remember James Spader from his previous flirtation with the geek crowd in 1994's "Stargate," then you might be scratching your head at this casting. But if you've been glued to your television set for the past few years and have seen the actor turn in performances on shows like "The Office" and "Boston Legal," then you're probably seeing all of Joss Whedon's plans coming together inside your head.

Spader has proven over the past decade to be one of the best actors around at playing absolutely creepy, disconnected, borderline/full-on sociopaths in pretty much every appearance he's had on the small screen following his creeptastic turn in the 2002 film "Secretary." His character Alan Shore on the series "Boston Legal" was incredibly charismatic while being incredibly emotionally restrained; if someone had outed Shore as a relentless artificial intelligence programmed only for lawyering, it wouldn't have been a surprise.

The real place to look for hints of Ultron has to be his one-season turn as Robert California on NBC's "The Office"—and yes, I know that's an incredibly weird sentence to write. But Spader's short-lived character, who sorta/kinda replaced Steve Carell's Michael Scott as the sitcom's head honcho, contained "Secretary"-level sexual creepiness with shades of his "Boston Legal" character's eccentricities, all mixed together to create a master schemer with unparalleled intimidation abilities. The guy was as close to a Lex Luthor-type supervillain that any NBC sitcom has ever seen.

Did this come out of nowhere? Absolutely. Was this at all expected? A world of no. Will this be awesome? Yeah, oh yeah I think it will be. If anyone can fill Tom Hiddleston's shoes, it's Spader.

What do you think of James Spader's casting as Ultron? Let us know in the comments below or hit us up on Twitter!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...e524e423000007

James Spader to Play Ultron in the Avengers Sequel

The Boston Legal and Stargate actor to play sequel's villain.

by Jim Vejvoda
    August 29, 2013

Who would've thought that Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron would become a Less Than Zero reunion. James Spader, who starred opposite Robert Downey Jr. in that 1987 film, will play the titular villain Ultron in the Joss Whedon-directed sequel.

Marvel Studios made the announcement today, adding that Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth will also reprise their roles as Captain America and Thor, respectively, for the sequel.

Spader's other credits include Stargate, Lincoln, Crash (the Cronenberg one), Wall Street, Wolf, Bad Influence, and the indie classic Sex, Lies, and Videotape. He has arguably found more success on the small screen having won Emmys for his work on Boston Legal and The Practice. He also starred on The Office, and will next be seen in NBC's The Blacklist, which premieres September 23.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron is slated for release May 1, 2015.

http://www.newsarama.com/18801-james...of-ultron.html

JAMES SPADER Cast as ULTRON in AVENGERS Sequel AGE OF ULTRON

by Lucas Siegel, Site Editor
    Date: 29 August 2013

James Spader, known primarily to modern audiences for his Emmy-winning television work on shows like Boston Legal has been cast as the villain Ultron in Avengers: Age of Ultron, the big-screen follow up to the $1.5 billion grossing Avengers film.

Announced in a short press release on Marvel.com, Spader is the first official new casting announcement for the film, which will reunite writer/director Joss Whedon with Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man, Chris Hemsworth's Thor, and Chris Evans' Captain America, amongst other returning roles.

Spader's television turn in the 21st Century followed a thirty-year career in film. His most recent role on TV debuts this fall, as he plays a villain named Raymond Reddington, a career criminal who begins working with law enforcement to take out others on the new NBC series The Blacklist.

His film career has crossed paths with Downey, Jr. twice before, in the 1980s films Tuff Turf and Less Than Zero. He has also played in genre entertainment, co-starring in Stargate, a film that spawned its own franchise in movies and TV.

Ultron was announced as the villain of the Avengers sequel in a short video, introduced by Joss Whedon, at Comic-Con International: San Diego in July 2013. A battered helmet of Iron Man's was hammered slowly into the face of the robotic Ultron, speculated to be showing his new origin for film. In the comic books, scientist and superhero Hank Pym, Ant-Man (and one of the comic book founding members of the Avengers), creates the A.I. controlled robot Ultron, who goes rogue and turns villain almost immediately. Pym will make his first appearance in 2015's Ant-Man, and will not be tied to Ultron's origin, Whedon previously confirmed. Speculation is that the movie version will instead center on Tony Stark, and possibly on a corruption of his existing A.I., J.A.R.V.I.S.

Other newcomer characters Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, a pair of super powered twins who started out as villains in the comic books, have yet to be officially cast, though rumors and reports suggest Elizabeth Olson and Aaron Taylor-Johnson are close to deals for the respective roles.

Avengers: Age of Ultron is scheduled to hit theaters May 1, 2015.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=47601

James Spader Cast as Ultron in "The Avengers: Age of Ultron"

Marvel has announced that James Spader has been cast in Joss Whedon's "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" as the film's antagonist, the villainous robot, Ultron.

Steve Sunu, Staff Writer/Reviews Editor

Although Marvel Studios' "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" is still two years from hitting theaters, the studio announced the first major casting news today via Marvel.com: Emmy Award-winning actor James Spader has been cast as Ultron in Joss Whedon's "Avengers" sequel.

Spader is best known for his role as Alan Shore on "The Practice" and its spinoff, "Boston Legal." More recently, he appeared in "Lincoln" and had a one season stint on "The Office" as Sabre President Robert California.

Understandably, no other details were given about the capacity of Spader's role in the film, nor how Ultron gets introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While new animatics from "The Avengers" may reveal new details on Ultron's introduction, it's still very early to say for sure. In a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, Whedon discussed his approach to Ultron, saying the villain's motivations extend beyond "standard robot stuff."

"He’s got pain," Whedon said. "And the way that manifests is not going to be standard robot stuff. So we’ll take away some of those powers because at some point everybody becomes magic, and I already have someone [Scarlet Witch] who’s a witch."

"The Avengers: Age of Ultron" is scheduled for release on May 1, 2015

http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.c...ers-asses.html

Ultron's Gonna Get All Boston Legal On The Avengers' Asses

Date Thu, August 29, 2013

Way to put those "Jarvis as Ultron" rumors to rest there, Marvel.

The studio has announced James Spader will play Ultron in The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Who saw that coming? Never a bad thing to see an actor of his caliber getting such a high-profile gig. Hell, in an alternate reality Spader would have been a great Tony Stark. What I would give to see him wearing one of those mo-cap pajamas with a Cuban cigar in mouth next to Robert Downey Jr. between takes.

Source: Marvel

http://www.hitfix.com/news/james-spa...-age-of-ultron

James Spader cast as Ultron in Marvel's 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'

Award winning actor set to take on Earth's Mightiest Heroes

By Josh Lasser Thursday, Aug 29, 2013

This morning, straight from the horse's mouth—Marvel's website—comes word that James Spader is set to play Ultron in "Avengers: Age of Ultron." The sequel to last summer's "Marvel's The Avengers" is due in theaters on May 1, 2015.

News about the upcoming "Avengers" sequel continues to flow at a pretty steady rate, from discussions of Wasp-centered drafts of the movie to director Joss Whedon promising that Ultron's motivations will be more than just "standard robot stuff." Presumably, new updates will continue to flow from the production from now until its release.

Spader has made a name for himself through the years working in both television and movies. His notable filmic roles include "Sex, Lies, and Videotape;" "Stargate;" and "Lincoln." As for the small screen, he has starred in "The Practice" and its spinoff, "Boston Legal." Spader's latest TV project begins this fall on NBC, where he appears in "The Blacklist." The actor has won numerous awards including three Emmys, two for "Boston Legal" and one for "The Practice." He also won a best actor award at the Cannes Film Festival for "Sex, Lies, and Videotape."

"Avengers: Age of Ultron" promises to reunite Earth's Mightiest Heroes and will conclude Marvel's Phase Two. As stated, directed by Joss Whedon, "Avengers: Age of Ultron" is due in theaters on May 1, 2015.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/29/j...age-of-ultron/

Published August 29, 2013 by Evan Saathoff

James Spader Will Be Ultron In THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

Because most of us fear Spaders

his is not what I expected to learn this morning: Joss Whedon has cast James Spader as Ultron for the next Avengers movie. That's great! James Spader can be a lot of fun, particularly now that he's older and a bit more weathered. There were tons of great things about Lincoln, but he was probably my favorite.

This raises a lot of questions about how Ultron will be presented in the film. The character is basically a robot, and teaser footage indicates a link between his existence and Tony Stark's Iron Man technology. So will Spader merely provide voice work? Will he supply a mo-cap performance? Will Ultron emote like a human when it speaks? I honestly know very little about the character, so maybe you guys can educate me on how this might go down in the comments.

But I like James Spader. And I like The Avengers. This is good, curious casting, and I look forward to learning more in the future.

http://www.chud.com/143308/well-of-c...laying-ultron/

Well of course James Spader is playing Ultron!

The Avengers just met their match! — By Nick Nunziata

He really is. The star of Jack’s Back and Tuff Turf is playing the ultimate metallic adversary the Avengers have ever faced in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Granted it’s pretty much a voice role but James Spader! James Spader just happened!

I love me some James Spader so it’s great but what an oddball choice.

Source.

Joss Whedon's Avengers sequel has officially found its Ultron

http://www.blastr.com/2013-8-29/joss...und-its-ultron

James Spader to Play Ultron in THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

http://www.breadpro.com/oven?id=6128...ames-spader%2F

James Spader Officially Cast as Ultron in ‘The Avengers 2′

http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-ult...s-spader-cast/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

MikeB (30-08-13)