Thread: Buffy Characters as F*R*I*E*N*D*S

Thanks
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,191 Posts

Default Buffy Characters as F*R*I*E*N*D*S

Watching this video on YouTube, I was blown away by how the maker got the characters right.

Buffy as Rachel: Beautiful, used to be popular, great fashion sense, becomes a less shallow person, divorced parents.

Anya as Monica: obsessed with something money/cleanliness, perfect at her job, has the longest relationship on the show

Willow as Phoebe: whacky clothes, start off as weird and grows to have a stronger personality,

Spike as Joey: charming, hot, bad-boy in a way, falls in love with Rachel/Buffy and later she returns his feelings

Xander as Chandler: Sarcastic, the funny one, lousy luck with women, gay jokes, the buttmonkey, bad childhood.

Giles as Ross: lots of knowledge ( That's all I can come up with )

Give me other shows and compare their characters with the Buffy characters and explain why. Veronica Mars is an obvious choice. Let's have fun!
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (21-10-18)

Sunnydale High Student WhiteHat's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty spot-on for the most part, but the 'Willow = Phoebe' equation doesn't feel right. I simply cannot envision Willow singing "Smelly Cat".
    "Strong is fighting! It's hard, and it's painful, and it's every day. It's what we have to do."

(BtVS, ep 3x10, "Amends", 40:56)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,277 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    Watching this video on YouTube, I was blown away by how the maker got the characters right.

Buffy as Rachel: Beautiful, used to be popular, great fashion sense, becomes a less shallow person, divorced parents.

Anya as Monica: obsessed with something money/cleanliness, perfect at her job, has the longest relationship on the show

Willow as Phoebe: whacky clothes, start off as weird and grows to have a stronger personality,

Spike as Joey: charming, hot, bad-boy in a way, falls in love with Rachel/Buffy and later she returns his feelings

Xander as Chandler: Sarcastic, the funny one, lousy luck with women, gay jokes, the buttmonkey, bad childhood.

Giles as Ross: lots of knowledge ( That's all I can come up with )

Give me other shows and compare their characters with the Buffy characters and explain why. Veronica Mars is an obvious choice. Let's have fun!
    Ha ha, I can see a similarity between Chandler and Xander, but the other characters? Buffy - Rachel, Spike - Joey? No, really no. And for Willow/Anya, you could also switch them around. Willow was a geeky good student and started off as insecure about her attractiveness (Monica was overweight) and Anya, like Phoebe, is socially awkward and says whatever is on her mind. Although that would mean Willow and Xander would be in a long-term relationship, which I really don't like... however, your casting means that Buffy and Giles would have to be a couple and have a kid together, which is just wrong.

Veronica Mars comparisons, however, are much more obvious and work a lot better because the two shows are closer in genre and really have a lot of similarities in plot and characterization - Rob Thomas is an admitted Buffy fan, as also seen it in the fact that the show had Alyson Hannigan and Charisma Carpenter in recurring roles, and referenced BtVS (and the fact that Veronica Mars was also referenced in BtVS comics makes it all perfect).

The most obvious ones are Veronica = Buffy and Logan = Spike.

Veronica = Buffy - tiny blonde badass teenage girl, much smarter and more competent than one would guess; comes from a single parent family (only in her case, she has a loving father and a deadbeat mother, the opposite of Buffy); dedicated to fighting evil (but where Buffy fights physically, and is a terrible liar, Veronica uses acting, lies and manipulation) and can appear self-righteous at times; she used to be a well-adjusted teen with popular friends and then suddenly lost her status and becomes an outsider; he's both tough and vulnerable, due to her traumas she's grown jaded and emotionally more distant and has huge trust issues, which complicates her romantic relationships. The 09s are the "vampires" of the show, in a way (at least in the high school years), but ironically her two main love interests are 09ers.

Wallace and Mac correspond to Xander and Willow only as far as their roles as her best friends go, and because Mac is a computer geek, but other than that, they're really nothing like Xander and Willow - for starters, they're much more confident (and thank god that the heroine's best friend wasn't romantically interested in her, for once; kudos to VM for providing a real male/female platonic friendship, something that BtVS and AtS failed at). But Veronica's relationships with her friends (except for Lily) are less important in the show than Buffy's relationships with Willow and Xander, while her relationship with her father Keith is the crucial relationship in the show.

Keith is Giles in many ways, because Giles is Buffy's father figure and mentor and they work together, though he's also the single parent so he's basically Giles + Joyce in one person, as far as his role in Veronica's life goes (not the characterization).

Jackie = Cordelia (comes from a rich/famous background, snobby and arrogant, dates Veronica's best male friend, ends up losing her status, becomes a nicer person, her relationship with Veronica is tension-filled and goes from antagonism to friendship... leaves the show abruptly).

Duncan is Angel, at least as far as his role in Veronica's life goes, though he's much duller than Angel. But one can find some similarities - while Angel has a curse, Duncan has epilepsy which makes him potentially dangerous. And he ends up having a child with another woman, who (the child) becomes the most important thing in his life. Veronica/Duncan plays like the Bangel 'star crossed love' at the beginning; it's first love gone wrong that Veronica agonizes over, and where the obstacles are of external nature, since Duncan thinks Veronica is his sister and that they can't be together. Though season 2 changes that, when they do get together, at which point it becomes more like Buffy/Riley in season 4, a nice and comfortable but dull relationship (but I think the same would probably happen to Buffy/Angel if Angel became human and they ended up having a regular relationship).

But Logan is definitely a lot like Spike, minus the supernatural elements. Snarky and rude and disrespectful to authority and totally with a 'bad boy' image, and initially seen as a psychotic jerk, but actually vulnerable and wounded by abuse from bad male role model and a tempestuous relationship with a girlfriend he considered the great love of his life and who had a tendency to sleep around; he's brave but also reckless and has a self-destructive streak and a tendency to drown the sorrows of lost love in alcohol and meaningless relationships; starts out hating the sassy righteous heroine and making her life miserable, but after an alliance of convenience falls in love with her and shows himself to be caring, passionate and devoted, he's there to help her when she gets in over her head...

First season of VM is like Buffy's love life over 7 seasons compressed into one: there's a Buffy/Angel relationship (Veronica/Duncan); there's a nice rebound guy who turns out to be a total arsehole (Troy = Parker); there's the nice and perfect boyfriend for Veronica that she hooks up with, but that she really just isn't that much into (Leo = Riley, though Leo, unlike Riley, never starts acting like a douche and isn't at fault for the breakup, and is coping much better with Veronica being smarter than him, than Riley did with Buffy being stronger than him); and there's a Buffy/Spike relationship (Veronica/Logan), who start off as mortal enemies (well, as far as the high school goes) and who are snarky and passionate and antagonistic and rarely conventionally romantic with each other. Except there's less sex, violence and it's on a less epic scale. Although Logan may disagree.

The only major characters one can't quite find parallels to are Lily and Weevil. Though Local Maximum thinks that you can see a bit of Faith in Lily i.e. Buffy/Faith in Veronica/Lily, but it's still not the same thing. (Veronica/Lily draws more from Twin Peaks, and, possibly, an obscure UK show from 2001-2003 called Night & Day, which has some narrative and stylistic similarities with VM, which makes me wonder if Thomas was familiar with it. All three shows are based around a murder/disappearance of a bold and sexually adventurous teenage girl, and her shy and insecure best friend who is trying to investigate her murder/disappearance, and who grows out of her friend's shadow and becomes more confident herself; and in all three, she falls for her friend's boyfriend). Of course, in Logan's life Lily is a Drusilla.

But Weevil? I've got nothing.
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 12-03-12 at 03:53 PM.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

dina (11-03-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,276 Posts

You can use The Vampire Diaries as well.

The former popular girl/cheerleader who is the centre of the story and the reason why all these different characters hang out together. Still hoping for her normal life to return. (Elena/Buffy)

You have the self-loathing vampire (Stefan/Angel) and the bad boy vampire (Damon/Spike), both love interests.

The best friend who is a witch. (Bonnie/Willow)

The other best friend who is a normal guy who had a crush on her but grew over it and who is now the stable factor in her life. Also sucky parents and poor. (Matt/Xander)

Spoiler:
    (Single-)Mother figure who dies. (Jenna/Joyce)

The vampire hunter father-figure. (Alaric/Giles)

Younger sibling who does stupid things to get attention in the early seasons. (Jeremy/Dawn)

Cheerleader captain who starts out as the dumb annoying character but who ends up being a warm and nice friend. (Caroline/Cordelia)

There is even a werewolf who leaves to learn how to control his powers. (Taylor/Oz)

I don't think you can compare the personalities because every single one of them is rather different from the BtVS characters, but they play the same roles in the story.
    Last edited by Nina; 12-03-12 at 04:49 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (12-03-12)

Thanks

Ross = Giles...... Rachel = Buffy?

But then that would mean....
    Bonehead, carrot top, shirty & dope
    the nonsensical vocabulary of Buffy and Spike