View Poll Results: What's awesome these days?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vampires, duh!

16 51.61%
  • Vampires, only the mean kind!

6 19.35%
  • Werewolves

9 29.03%
  • Witches

9 29.03%
  • Zombies

6 19.35%
  • Fairies

2 6.45%
  • Ghosts

7 22.58%
  • Wizards/Magicians

5 16.13%
  • Slayers

18 58.06%
  • Hunters

15 48.39%
  • Other, list below.

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Creature Feature

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 725 Posts

Default Creature Feature

Supernatural monsters, superhumans, and fairy tales have definitely been getting a lot of attention by television series, movies, books. These things go in cycles, what's lame today, we couldnt get enough of last year. Some are personally timeless. So what's your favorite now? What's been overplayed? What's ready to resurge in popularity?

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,314 Times in 2,830 Posts

I picked;

Slayers -- Because I'll always love my Buffy

Vampries -- Ok, I'm really kind of over them for the most part but I still enjoy SOME vampires and I like True Blood. Pam is the best thing to happen to vampires for a while. Certainly better than all the vampires who seem to exist these days solely to get messed up in love triangles. I gotta agree with Gunn -- "Don't we kill them anymore?"

Ghosts -- I've always enjoyed ghost stories.

Never been a big fan of zombies and werewolves are ok, as long as it's not vampires vs werewolves which, again, is extremely overdone at this point.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

Slayers - it'll always be Buffy and Faith for me. Those are the characters I REALLY fell in love with all those years ago, and they remain two of my favorite characters ever.

Hunters - yes, I've moved on, but I still need some kind of person taking down the demons and the bad guys. Sam and Dean are my boys.

Werewolves - I was always more interested in the werewolf mythology than the vampire lore. There is just so much to the story of the werewolves, and it can be done in so many different ways, both as the good guys and the bad guys.

Ghosts - come on, who doesn't love a good ghost story?

Vampires - now that BtVS is no longer on our screens and I have to make do with the comics, the only real vampire show I watch is Vampire Diaries, and the odd time a vamp shows up on SPN. I'm just not overly keen on the vampire lore, lol.
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

Vampires, witches, werewolves, ghosts, and slayers are my faves. I picked those because all my favorite shows involve these things: BtVS, The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, and Being Human (US).

Thanks

Went with vampires, ghosts, witches and Slayers... I just had a bit of a vampire fandom resurgence recently with '60s Dark Shadows in the vampire category. I've tried just about all of the recent vampire shows, though I haven't stuck with any of them. As far as ghosts and witches go, well, some of my favorite childhood movies included Casper, Beetlejuice and Hocus Pocus.

But... You forgot my current love: aliens. Roswell, Doctor Who... Heck, I even watched some Star Trek: TOS a few years back (though I was always more of an Original Trilogy Warsie). Good stuff.

Werewolves don't interest me at all. The only zombie movie I care about at all is the original Night of the Living Dead (1968).
    Last edited by NileQT87; 20-02-12 at 06:46 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Thanks

I do love vampires, ghosts, and werewolves--though moreso the kind that actually turn into wolves and not terrible CGI-d wolfman creatures, or like on SPN. I've always loved wolves, and I think the pack stuff is intriguing--I think it's done better perhaps in literature than TV, some recs are Blood and Chocolate and the werewolf books in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld (or not just "The Otherworld"?) series, like Bitten, Stolen, etc.

I think 'verses in which multiple supernatural beings coexist are the most interesting. I also have a recent interest in succubi from the fabulous Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead, as well as an interest in angels/demons from that and SPN. And of course hunters are awesome because of Sam and Dean...
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 641 Posts

I voted primarily for zombies. I've always found the idea of zombies to be scary because they are unrelenting, inhuman and attack in masses. There's no reasoning with them or bargaining. I'm surprised zombies didn't get a higher vote. I'm about to start watching "The Walking Dead" which I've heard is a great series. I think zombie apocalypses work really well thematically because they often bring out the worst qualities in the humans who have to survive. There's usually some selfish ******* and there's always some complete moron in the group. And the idea of having to behead of former loved one is heartbreaking. Zombies also look and smell disgusting too. They are the only horror creature left to not be romanticized. I find the idea of hiding from unrelenting masses of zombies to be pretty scary.

The past ten years or so of cinema have kind of ruined vampires for me. I don't find them scary or interesting anymore. Even in the Buffyverse, I don't recall ever actually being "scared" of a vampire. The most interesting aspects of the Buffyverse vamps are their human qualities. The rest are just monsters that get staked.

Ghosts can be pretty scary too. I gave ghosts a vote because if done well, they can be really creepy. Paranormal Activity was quite scary. Not to mention that there are people in real life who claim to have experienced a ghost. Nobody believes in werewolves or vampires.

I gave werewolves a vote because I like the concept. Pity there hasn't been a really memorable werewolf movie in a long time.

Voted for hunters as well. I like the concept of a badass that goes around killing all sorts of monsters. The Van Helsing movie did suck however.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,071 Times in 1,200 Posts

I've only voted for Slayers. I've never really been into the supernatural, guess I like them normal. But for the past few years I've grown so interested in slayers, their history, their purpose, their loneliness, the unfairness of their situation, what makes them tick and just about everything. Them being just women made them even more interesting.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks
    Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
    I voted primarily for zombies. I've always found the idea of zombies to be scary because they are unrelenting, inhuman and attack in masses. There's no reasoning with them or bargaining. I'm surprised zombies didn't get a higher vote. I'm about to start watching "The Walking Dead" which I've heard is a great series. I think zombie apocalypses work really well thematically because they often bring out the worst qualities in the humans who have to survive. There's usually some selfish ******* and there's always some complete moron in the group. And the idea of having to behead of former loved one is heartbreaking. Zombies also look and smell disgusting too. They are the only horror creature left to not be romanticized. I find the idea of hiding from unrelenting masses of zombies to be pretty scary.
    Zombies themselves are, however, incredibly boring and... well, I can't say one-dimensional, when they're actually mindless, so it's more like zero-dimensional. They're slow and have no intelligence or personality, and they look rather silly. They're only scary because there is a lot of them, one zombie wouldn't scare anyone. Even with all the romanticizing of vampires, they are 1000 times more interesting, and they can be really scary if done right (and if one wants to make them really scary).

If you like the horror of unrelenting, inhuman monsters who attack in masses, the vampires from 30 Days of Night are far scarier than any zombies. Unlike the zombies, they are intelligent, and their invasion is a result of careful planning. I haven't been this genuinely scared in movies in years. There's one scene in particular that stands out for me, where Danny Huston's vampire leader character just calmly says a line of two words to a human character, that's one of the most chilling moments I've seen on screen in years.

As for the movies and shows that have vampires as main characters, I think Being Human (UK, I haven't seen much of the US version) strikes the right balance of making them relatable and ordinary, and scary - in fact, I'd say they're scarier because they look so ordinary. That's especially the case with Herrick (the main vampire villain) and his people in season 1. The show doesn't even romanticize its conflicted vampire protagonist played by a sexy actor, which is really rare.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

sueworld (16-02-12)

Thanks

I picked Slayers and Vampires-only the mean ones. Because while I used to love Twilight I'm tired of it, and it's vampires. And I said even then that they weren''t real vampires. I've never actually been into zombies. Which may just be I haven't found something that portrayed them well.

Edit: If I would have thought about it/read the whole thing I would have also voted for Hunters and Wizards
    Last edited by Sassy; 16-02-12 at 11:59 PM.
    Avie by Lrae12

Library Researcher Tranquillity's Avatar
    Thanks

Vampires, Slayers and Hunters. Oh My!

Sunnydale High Student mulliganstew's Avatar
    Thanks

I went with Zombies... I'm over Vampires (I'll always love BTVS and ATS but am sick to death of Twilight etc and the "new Vampire surge")... I went for Zombies because I find zombie-apocalypse movies strangely exciting...
    "I don't understand your crazy system!"

"... The alphabet?"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,286 Posts

I'd much rather have the real vampires back, than those zombies barely masked as vampires (is there anything vampire-like about them other than vampfaces?) that they call zompires now.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

I'd really like to start seeing some awesome witch stories. There were a bunch of good films/shows back in the 90s and such, but they seem to have declined in popularity a lot!

Thanks

Buffy, Faith, River, Alice from Resident Evil , Selena from Underworld , -- maybe others? -- are still awesome. So, I chose Slayers .

I did like Steven Salvatore, Katherine Pierce, Caroline Forbes, and Klaus from The Vampire Diaries , but I gave up on that show when they started the
    Spoiler:
    Klaus/Caroline stuff and the Triangle became simply nonsensical. Well, I guess Katherine is still awesome, but that's 'Vampire'.

I didn't include Vampires , because Spike so far in Season 9 reminded me of Season 3 Stefan in his dealings with Buffy.