Thread: AFA 2012 Update

Thanks

Default AFA 2012 Update

Greetings, fellow fanartists! It's getting to be that time of year again to start preparing for this year's Academy of Fanart Artists Award Ceremony. This year will mark the 5th anniversary of the AFAs, so let's pull out all the stops and make sure its the best one yet!

Our Queen of the AFAs -- SayJay -- has been very busy studying law at her university and along with a few injuries this year (that she swears wasn't her fault ), has assured me that she is well and will begin the process of starting off the nomination period as soon as she can find some time in her schedule. So start taking a look through the magnificent pieces of art you all have created throughout this year to get an idea of what you would like to nominate or finish up any pieces that you would like to qualify for this years nomination process. As a reminder, only pieces made during 2011 will be accepted for nomination (January 1, 2011 - December 31, 2011). Also, I know there are a few new fanartists out there this year, so please pass the word on and invite them to take part with us.

SJ will be making an official post and/or email with all the details when she can. Those willing to volunteer with award designs or anything else SJ may need are always appreciated! The more artists willing to make award designs means the more unique the awards will be, and less work for everyone all around. Not to mention the more awesome this year's ceremony will be!

Can't wait to see you all there! Stay tuned!
    Last edited by [erin nicole]; 05-12-11 at 03:42 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to [erin nicole] For This Useful Post:

Bre (24-01-12),Dana (05-12-11),doppelganger47 (05-01-12),Ehlwyen (05-12-11),Firecracker (05-01-12),Jenni Lou (05-12-11),little albatross (05-12-11),Nina (18-04-12),Signe (10-01-12),Wicca_Jaz (05-01-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 725 Posts

I would still love to do the AFAs this year even if it was scaled down.

Lydia made the punch!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

BlasterBoy (23-01-12),Cinderela (24-01-12),Destiny (23-01-12),Lyri (23-01-12),[erin nicole] (23-01-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

Would hate for it go away forever. I think we need to start thinking of ways to devise a system where we can spread out the responsibility. Maybe having one person in charge of a set of categories, where they tally votes and organize the awards, edit the awards, etc. If we can get 6 or so people to do this and then have 1 that oversees the organization of the entire thing, than maybe that would work?

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenni Lou For This Useful Post:

Cinderela (24-01-12),[erin nicole] (23-01-12)

Thanks

I was not part of the last AFAs so Im not sure what is happening now - I thought based on the first Erinīs post that the AFAs will be happening as usual this year. Have there been problems with this yearīs version?
    On that note, Im not sure how much help can I be as an outsider, but Iīd more than happily volunteer in case people are needed for help with anything (and I literally mean anything).
    In the end, we all are who we are, no matter how much we may appear to have changed.

Thanks

In past years, we tend to have our nominations in by the end of the year. Obviously, this hasn't happened yet. The one who organizes everything has been busy and ill and absent so we are without a leader for the time being. Everything is stalled. So that's what is going on now.

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenni Lou For This Useful Post:

Destiny (23-01-12)

Thanks

Thank you very much for the answer I didnīt mean to pry, just wondering what is the problem in case there was anything that could be done from the position of other members.
    In the end, we all are who we are, no matter how much we may appear to have changed.

Thanks

As far as everything I have heard and discussed, the AFAs will still be happening this year. However, it will obviously have to be pushed back like last year. SJ has been very busy with school and overall RL, but I promise you she has not forgotten about us. When SJ has some time to spare, she'll give us all the rundown for this year's ceremony and open up the nominations. Once she gets the ball rolling, I know she has said that she will be asking for additional help this year in an attempt to stay on track once dates are set.

Hopefully, SJ will find time in her very hectic schedule soon to make an announcement herself. Perhaps once she puts her team together for this year's event, we can continue on and set up a plan to have next year's run more on course. I apologize for all the delays, but have no fear! One way or another we'll make it happen!
    Last edited by [erin nicole]; 23-01-12 at 09:54 PM.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to [erin nicole] For This Useful Post:

Aureola (23-01-12),Bre (24-01-12),debbiefm (24-01-12),Destiny (23-01-12),Firecracker (24-01-12),Jenni Lou (23-01-12),Nina (18-04-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,695 Times in 1,275 Posts

I'm sorry if this comes of as pushy, because that's not what I intent. But is there any news?

I really enjoyed the last AFA's (Which were my first.) and I would find it a pity if there wouldn't be one this year. That it's a lot of work and no priority during a busy I life I understand very well, but perhaps other people can help?
    Last edited by Nina; 18-04-12 at 11:50 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Bre (18-04-12),Cinderela (18-04-12)

Thanks

Anyone have any news about the AFAs? Anyone heard from SJ? (Hope she is just busy and everything else is going great!)

Library Researcher behringtheweb's Avatar
    Thanks

Over the years I've wanted to nominate pieces but I guess I never truly understood how to do it. I know this year I have two pieces I want to nominate so hopefully I figure it out in time.

Thanks

I personally haven't heard back from SJ in awhile, but I know she's super busy with RL. She's been doing a lot of traveling, and I believe she is currently in Cusco helping at an orphanage. I will try to contact her again soon, to see what her plans are and if she is willing to possible hand over the reigns to a AFA committee team if she is too busy. Hang in there, everyone.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to [erin nicole] For This Useful Post:

behringtheweb (07-09-12),Bre (28-08-12),Lyri (29-08-12),Nina (28-08-12),Zugma (29-08-12)

Thanks

Hello, so I EXIST.

First of all a MASSIVE apology for leaving everyone hanging. I know (for me anyway) the AFAs were always a massive part of my year and I always looked forward to it because it was so fun, and a great way of seeing art from lots of different artists and honouring those pieces. So I am incredibly sorry this has not happened for 2011 yet. You have no idea how much it pains me not to have been around to organise this, or how sorry I am for you guys!

Lame excuse is...
    Spoiler:
    that the final year of my law studies basically evaporated all of my time. I was also very busy working with the convention company I worked with, and I also got a legal job helping people for free with family law issues (kind of like a legal aid-y type thing I guess). I graduated in June, but spent my summer volunteering and traveling. I am now home, working in a law firm, and my laptop that broke a couple of weeks ago is fixed... and shockingly enough I have a fractured elbow so my injury streak hasn't gone away at all... Overall, very lame excuses, I just haven't been online for anything other than studying or work for a whole year, which just sucks!

Sooo I have no idea whether people still want an AFAs type event, and if so, if people want to do a 2011/12 event this time? Purely because if we just did 2011 now then 2012 would have to be pushed back a lot too. If we did this, then we could either say 2 pieces can be nominated in each category (one from each year), or, we could have every category duplicated (textures-11, textures-12, something like that?), or just stick with one piece and let people choose from 11 or 12? If people do want a 2011 ceremony we could do a mini version then put a lot of effort into a 2012 one I guess?

I read Jennilou's post above about everyone taking a category or group, that could work... if people were interested? I'm open to suggestions.

I really am sorry, and am just hoping people aren't too annoyed about being left in the dark and still want to give it a go in some shape or form.

Lots and lots of apologies,
    *huggles*
    SJ
    xxxx

Art by Sayjay at Radiance

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

Amber (22-10-12),Aureola (22-10-12),blueskies (23-10-12),Bre (21-10-12),Firecracker (21-10-12),Jenni Lou (21-10-12),Kiera (18-11-12),Lyri (21-10-12),Nina (21-10-12),[erin nicole] (21-10-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

I LOVE the idea of combining 2011/2012 because you're right, working on 2011 only and then saving 2012 for next year will just delay everything further. I think letting people choose one wall from each year will work nicely, only so the categories don't get completely flooded with entries (which is awesome! But a lot too... ). Or maybe we want that?

Don't be sorry! We're happy you're alive! You should bring on a staff to help you with it, an official AFA staff and shove out categories for each "staff member" so they can handle those parts instead of laying EVERYTHING on you like every year before. That is a lot of freaking work - I get annoyed with one challenge and its awards, hehe. Yeah... an AFA staff.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

Kiera (18-11-12),Nina (21-10-12),slaycandy (22-10-12),Zugma (21-10-12),[erin nicole] (21-10-12)

Thanks

Congrats on graduating! And landing your job(s) and all that jazz. Very exciting for you, SJ!

A combined thing works for me. It's already October so it seems like that is definitely the way to go.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenni Lou For This Useful Post:

slaycandy (22-10-12),[erin nicole] (21-10-12)

Thanks

I like the idea of combining 2011/2012. In the end it will save time to be able to just put together one big event to kick off the return of the AFAs for its 5th ceremony. I think picking one piece from 2011/12 to nominate per category would be good so things don't get swamped.

I'm also on board with an AFA staff, and volunteer to help in any way I can so its not all on our beloved, SJ, to do all the work. We all love the AFAs, so I think its only fair to help and I'm sure you'll find enough members who feel the same way and will join in the work load.

SJ! So glad to hear from you and that you're doing well (sans the fractured elbow)!!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to [erin nicole] For This Useful Post:

slaycandy (22-10-12)

Thanks

welcome back SJ!!! congrats on your graduation. hope you are resting that elbow.

I think having a 2011/2012 joint awards is a good idea this late on in the year. I would be happy to offer help with award making this year if that helps at all
    Find me at facebook - tumblr - twitter - livejournal

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Firecracker For This Useful Post:

slaycandy (22-10-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

WOOT!! Go, SJ! Congrats on graduating!!

I'm with everyone else, a joint ceremony this year seems like the way to go. And yes, like Firecracker said, I'm available to help out with awards anyway I can.
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

slaycandy (22-10-12)

Thanks

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE JOB, LOVE!!

I have no problem with a combined event! I think it's safe to say that we are pretty flexible around here lol.

Also I am volunteering now for awards duty. I think last year was the first time I haven't done it and it bummed me out come ceremony time that I didn't make any of them.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:

slaycandy (22-10-12)