Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

January 2013 comic sales:
    http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25024.html

BTVS SEASON 9 FREEFALL #17

ANGEL & FAITH #18

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SPIKE #5

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicwere For This Useful Post:

MikeB (20-02-13),Moscow Watcher (13-03-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Most Star Wars fans completely dismiss the comics.

The cost for the license would be based off things like sales potential, publicity garnered for the comic company, etc.

Also, the question is whether both the BtVS and the AtS comic book licenses combined is worth more than the Star Wars comic book licenses.

Disney paid 4.05B (probably mostly in Disney stock) for the movie license, TV license, toy license (I assume) etc of Star Wars . I consider they vastly overpaid.
    People who do this for a living consider you are probably wrong -- "Star Wars" already has gross receipts across its family of licenses of more than $30 billion.

What are you gaining out of persisting in an empirically indefensible position, namely that "Buffy" is worth more as an IP investment than "Star Wars"? About the only argument on which the "Buffy" investment could stand is that... it's the only game in town, whereas there are more "Star Wars" movies upcoming. I suppose an ancillary argument could be made that concern over the long-term status of SW EU because of the movies may color its value, whereas we already know "Buffy" is not in a position to have its canon status revoked in the foreseeable future.

Or, for that matter, why this argument goes on at all, since nobody seems to disagree that there is little chance that the Mouse is going to even offer Dark Horse the chance to keep the license whenever it runs out, that they will want to bring that license home to their own, in-house comic publishing company.

Banner by LRae12

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB
    Most Star Wars fans completely dismiss the comics.
    Most Star Wars fans don't read the novels. Most Star Wars fans don't collect the action figures. Most Star Wars fans don't play the videogames. That doesn't change the fact that those ARE incredibly lucrative licenses to have. There IS an audience for the Star Wars EU stuff, whether that audience includes "most" Star Wars fans is completely besides the point.

To put it another way, most Buffy fans don't care about the comics. Dark Horse wishes that everyone who watched and enjoyed the TV show would be invested enough to buy the comics. By that same token, the majority of Star Wars "fans" are people who've seen and enjoyed the six movies (or even just the Original Trilogy) and don't care about the Expanded Universe. That said, a market for the Star Wars EU does exist, just as a market for the Buffyverse comics exists.

I do think its ridiculous that you think Buffy as a brand even compares to Star Wars.

Disney paid 4.05B (probably mostly in Disney stock) for the movie license, TV license, toy license (I assume) etc of Star Wars . I consider they vastly overpaid.
    What expertise do you have on the subject? Do you think Disney are kicking themselves for not consulting you before they made the purchase?

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

No sales for Willow Wonderland listed?

Thanks

All caught up

Again, “The cost for the license would be based off things like sales potential, publicity garnered for the comic company, etc.

Also, the question is whether both the BtVS and the AtS comic book licenses combined is worth more than the Star Wars comic book licenses.”

DarkHorse almost certainly gets more publicity from having the Buffyverse comics than they do from having the Star Wars comics. And the Buffyverse comics probably outsell the Star Wars ones considering the Buffyverse TPs and now HCs sell so well.

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

February 2013 comic sales: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25233.html

BTVS SEASON 9 FREEFALL #18

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER WILLOW WONDERLAND #4

ANGEL & FAITH #19

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sicwere For This Useful Post:

MikeB (13-03-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sicwere View Post
    February 2013 comic sales: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25233.html

BTVS SEASON 9 FREEFALL #18

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER WILLOW WONDERLAND #4

ANGEL & FAITH #19
    Well, this doesn't include the digital, etc. sales, but BtVS S9 in these figures is selling about 1.6x better than AtF.

What's more interesting is that Spike being in A&F doesn't seem to have given A&F much of a boost in sales (if any) from what they would have been had he not been in it.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SPIKE #5
    And yet at most, Spike maybe propped up A&F's sales by a few hundred from what they otherwise may have been.

So, I assume A&F didn't get much of a boost because the Spike fans simply assumed that Spike would be 'treated like crap' in A&F.

I doubt about any Spike fans like how Spike was handled in A&F 9.19, and I doubt many post-BtVS S8 readers want Spike/Faith to happen, so we'll see how the sales' numbers are.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 395 Posts

Top 300 Comics Actual--April 2013
    http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25659.html

95 BTVS SEASON 9 FREEFALL #20 21,901
    142 ANGEL & FAITH #21 14,102
    "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
    Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ubi4soft For This Useful Post:

MikeB (06-06-13)

Thanks

I assume many are simply buying the digital comics or waiting for the TPBs or HCs to come out.

But sales probably have decreased and they've likely decreased because BtVS S9 is not as good as BtVS S8 (which I don't think is too much Andrew Chambliss's fault) and A&F is simply full of Angel apologists and Angel hero worship even after what Angel did in BtVS S8.