Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Estimate sales of Season 9

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 632 Posts

Hang on... you mean to say that sales of the latest issue of A&F have dropped even more after issue #5 despite having Drusilla in it? Could this mean that MikeB was wrong about Drusilla having the selling power to prop up A&F's sales??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
    Hang on... you mean to say that sales of the latest issue of A&F have dropped even more after issue #5 despite having Drusilla in it? Could this mean that MikeB was wrong about Drusilla having the selling power to prop up A&F's sales??
    Harmony was in #5. Drusilla was at the last panels of #6 and unless someone has read the spoilers, people didn't know about her appearance before the issue was published.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dina For This Useful Post:

MikeB (08-11-14)

Thanks

Oh, my mistake then. Even so, Drusilla first appeared at the beginning of a new story arc. I believe that the first issue usually sells pretty well. We'll see how the sales go from there and see how they compare to the issues that didn't have Dru in them.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,909 Times in 2,707 Posts

Question; Do the figures take into account the digital download sales? I'm just curious because I've seen a lot of fans state how they're now downloading the comics instead and I vaguely remember someone stating how they weren't being included in the figures. Does anyone know?

I'd be more interested to see what the sales will be like for the first S9 TPB. Whilst the sales for individual issues in S8 continued to drop the TPB's always remained very strong sellers. In fact, if memory serves, they nearly always took place in the Top 5 and on a few occasions were even the #1. It always seemed like some of the numbers for individual issues were going down with readers opting for the TPB’s instead. If the S9 TPB fails to impress then that would be a better indication, IMO.

I really doubt Darkhorse are all that concerned, though. BtVS still remains their best selling book so even if the sales continued to decline it's not as if they'd strop producing them. It'd have to get a lot, lot worse than this.

I feel a little guilty. I'm a fan who has always been a fairly big supporter of the comics but I haven't contributed to sales in a long time. I have all the S8 TPBS but I stopped collecting individual issues at the end of the WatG arc and haven't purchased any of S9 so far. Money has been incredibly tight lately and I find ‘other means’ to read the comics as I know a lot of other fans do too. If it’s any consolation, I’m proof that sale figures don’t always reflect the actual readership and people’s attitudes to the book.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 02-02-12 at 09:28 AM.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

MikeB (21-03-12),Reddygirl (02-02-12),TimeTravellingBunny (02-02-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,144 Posts

I confess that I don't buy indivdual issues, because I just can't. We don't have comic book stores in Saudi Arabia and buying them online costs a lot. I do, however, travel abroad on summer vacations and buy all the TPBs I can find. I own all the S8 TPBs. I also own #26 and #27 because I was in the US at that period and bought the issues the second they were on sale.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

MikeB (21-03-12),Reddygirl (02-02-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 422 Posts

Question; Do the figures take into account the digital download sales?
    When I asked about the Spike's webcomic downloaded numbers Scott said that they usually don't release those numbers.

Banner by Moscow Watcher

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zianna For This Useful Post:

MikeB (21-03-12)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Default Digital sales

How do digital sales fall into this?

Thanks

(Qty Rank) 63 (Index)23.10 (Title) BtVS S9 # 5 (Est Sales)30,150
    (Prev Issue Est Sales) 31,158 (Delta) -1,008 (Delta %) -3.24%

(Qty Rank) 106 (Index)13.64 (Title) A&F # 6 (Est Sales)17,802
    (Prev Issue Est Sales) 18,357 (Delta) -555 (Delta %) -3.02

Banner by Moscow Watcher

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zianna For This Useful Post:

MikeB (21-03-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 395 Posts

Top 300 Comics Actual--February 2012 - estimates sales
    http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22381.html

113 - 13.64 - ANGEL & FAITH #6 - 17,852

68 - 23.26 - BTVS SEASON 9 FREEFALL #6 - 29,878
    "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
    Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ubi4soft For This Useful Post:

MikeB (21-03-12)

Thanks

Well, Dru is obviously popular enough that a miniseries written by Juliet Landau was greenlighted. Although mostly so far Dru's been
    Spoiler:
    in flashbacks scenes of stuff we already knew of, an Angel apologist, not relatively drawn well, and she's sane.

Yeah, I'd assume that a lot are getting the digital copies or simply waiting for the Trade PaperBacks.

Thanks

Whoa there MikeB. What's with the excuses? I remember a few months back how you were saying that Drusilla would be used to boost the sales of the A&F series like she was some kind of secret weapon that would bring numbers by her mere pressence in the book.

I predicted that the numbers would continue to drop like normal, because that's typcal of comic book sales.

The continuing drop in sales has nothing to do with audiences reacting bad to Drusilla being sane or being an "Angel apologist", the sales are
    dropping because that's what comic book sales do.

Drusilla is a great character, but she's not the money-generating, crowd-attracting weapon you think she is.

Thanks

Default March 2012 Initial Sells Estimates, Buffy's rank

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/04/06...tes-hello-avx/

70 BTVS SEASON 9 FREEFALL #7 27,583

Buffy has sold 2.295 issues less which is a drop about -7,68% and from the 68th place it has dropped to place 70.

For A&F, we must wait for the Top 300 list, since it's not in the Top 100

Banner by Moscow Watcher

19. The Following User Says Thank You to zianna For This Useful Post:

MikeB (12-06-12)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zianna View Post
    http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/04/06...tes-hello-avx/

70 BTVS SEASON 9 FREEFALL #7 27,583

Buffy has sold 2.295 issues less which is a drop about -7,68% and from the 68th place it has dropped to place 70.

For A&F, we must wait for the Top 300 list, since it's not in the Top 100
    Haven't we been promised the sales figures would be the same as last season or better? I don't see anything here that's much to crow about. It seems to me they really are in "free fall".
    Last edited by DorothyFan1; 06-04-12 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DorothyFan1 View Post
    Haven't we been promised the sales figures would be the same as last season or better? I don't see anything here that's much to crow about.
    How can somebody promise that?

They just promised back to basics and to the Buffy we knew from the show, not that the sales will be the same....maybe there will be a huge world crisis or a war and people will stop buying comics, how can somebody promise that and how can we take him seriously if he does?

EDIT
    And did anyone really expect a raise, with such a story? It will drop even more and I'm betting anything on that.

Banner by Moscow Watcher

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zianna For This Useful Post:

Lyri (06-04-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,716 Times in 2,229 Posts

BtVS comics are still doing really well, considering the fact that the first 69 places and almost all of the list are Marvel and DC comics. (Plus The Walking Dead at #54.)
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

MikeB (08-11-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    BtVS comics are still doing really well, considering the fact that the first 69 places and almost all of the list are Marvel and DC comics. (Plus The Walking Dead at #54.)
    True, but it is decreasing rapidly. I wonder how much copies they need to sell in order to make it still profitable enough.

Thanks

But we don't know about digital sales. It's highly possible that pre-orders are down but digital sales are up. I know that until the TPB I'm going to go digital (I've ceased my pre- orders). Interesting enough I noticed in my circle that most bought the comic at midnight digitally.

And digital seems like the way the market is going for comics.

But again, I believe figures will drop because the creators shot themselves in the foot. I enjoy season 9 because of it's similarities with the show, but most people who stuck with season 8 liked the OTT-ness of it and now a lot of people who would be into this season don't or won't touch season 9 because of the mess of season 8. Yet the mess of season 8 attracted certain people and now those people are being alienated with season 9, it's a no win situation. I believe sales will be up for season 9 after it's over, but by then it'll be too late.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,716 Times in 2,229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tennyoelf View Post
    But we don't know about digital sales. It's highly possible that pre-orders are down but digital sales are up. I know that until the TPB I'm going to go digital (I've ceased my pre- orders). Interesting enough I noticed in my circle that most bought the comic at midnight digitally.

And digital seems like the way the market is going for comics.

But again, I believe figures will drop because the creators shot themselves in the foot. I enjoy season 9 because of it's similarities with the show, but most people who stuck with season 8 liked the OTT-ness of it and now a lot of people who would be into this season don't or won't touch season 9 because of the mess of season 8. Yet the mess of season 8 attracted certain people and now those people are being alienated with season 9, it's a no win situation. I believe sales will be up for season 9 after it's over, but by then it'll be too late.
    Too late for what? BtVS is the best selling Dark Horse comic by far, it's in no danger whatsoever, unless DH bankrupts or something, and I'm not aware they're in any danger.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Too late for what? BtVS is the best selling Dark Horse comic by far, it's in no danger whatsoever, unless DH bankrupts or something, and I'm not aware they're in any danger.
    No no, I mean too late in reputation. As you know I love the current flow of the comics and I know it's still a best seller. However I'm not blind to the trends and I do look into what parts of fandom are saying. Season 8 (and I'm not a season 8 hater, I'm more negative neutral to it...meaning I disliked more than I l liked) hurt the Buffy series.

I think the books have quality writing and I could very well be wrong, season 9 might turn things around, but it could also crash it despite it being good.

In the long run I hope for better sales and I also believe that digital sales might actually be up, which is why these numbers are low.

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tennyoelf View Post
    No no, I mean too late in reputation. As you know I love the current flow of the comics and I know it's still a best seller. However I'm not blind to the trends and I do look into what parts of fandom are saying. Season 8 (and I'm not a season 8 hater, I'm more negative neutral to it...meaning I disliked more than I l liked) hurt the Buffy series.

I think the books have quality writing and I could very well be wrong, season 9 might turn things around, but it could also crash it despite it being good.

In the long run I hope for better sales and I also believe that digital sales might actually be up, which is why these numbers are low.
    It's hard to extrapolate from incomplete information as it would really help if we knew the numbers for the digital downloads. Getting that would tell us how things are going.