Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Xander's Role in S9

Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,108 Posts

Default Xander's Role in S9

1) What was your favorite Xander storyline in S8?

I loved "the idea" for a lot of the Xander storylines in S8, but the one I thought worked the best was his storyline with Dracula – the Andrew fake or real story about how Xander ended up in his castle aside. I thought it was a good conclusion to Buffy Vs Dracula, Xander struggling to free himself from Dracula's control and succeeding eventually. I loved that Xander seemed to have more control on Dracula than the other on him, reversing their roles in S5. Xander standing up to Dracula was his best moment in S8.

The other storylines weren't as focused on as this one: Xander being the head of the Scotland squad, Xander being the object of Buffy's interest, Xander and Dawn's blossoming relationship. I would have loved these storylines if there was more attention paid to them, I would have loved to see Xander struggling a little with leadership and taking lessons from Buffy. The Buffy having feelings for him was too vague that a lot of fans missed it and came out of the blue in #28. Xander/Dawn was completely written from Buffy's POV that it wasn't effective and charming at all.

2) Do you think there are dangling threads in S8 about Xander that should be addressed in S9?

I'd love to see a follow up on Buffy's feelings for Xander. I really hope they didn't just disappear – like Xander/Willow in S3. Not that I want Buffy to express her feelings for him again or Xander dumping Dawn for her, just an acknowledgement or a hint of jealousy.

3) What do you think about Xander's relationship with Dawn?

I have to admit that I don't like it. I used to love the idea of it, but when it became reality, I started to dislike it. Maybe because we missed a lot of how it happened. Also, I just don't see any interesting conflict in the future between them. They're so alike, which is why it looks boring.

4) Who would you like to see Xander interact with in S9?

Spike! I want new subtext for my future Xander/Spike fics and they're always enjoyable together. A reluctant friendship between them filled with snark and name calling would be perfect!

5) What storyline do you wish for Xander in S9?

I don't like the idea of Xander going behind Buffy's back. We know how "popular" Xander is in fandom and for some reason I don't see it done in a sympathetic light. I'd love to see Xander not enjoying a life away from the fight which creates tension between him and Dawn and maybe Xander trying a new job that relates to the season's main arc.

I'd also love to see tension between Xander and the slayers that were under his charge, see them angry at him for abandoning them, but Scott Allie had said that it won't happen.

6) SlayAlive will be having Scott Allie and Jeanty for a Q&A for the release of #1. What do you like to ask both of them about Xander?

Scott Allie: I've noticed that most of Xander's interactions are with either Buffy or Dawn, would it be possible to have him interact more with different characters like best friend Willow -whom he never shared a scene with at all in S8- and snarky former roommate Spike -whom his interactions with are always perfect and filled with awesome?

Jeanty: We finally got rid of Xander's uniform *wink* what's Xander's style in clothing in S9? For example, he used to have a thing for Hawaiian shirts until S5.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks

I loved "the idea" for a lot of the Xander storylines in S8, but the one I thought worked the best was his storyline with Dracula – the Andrew fake or real story about how Xander ended up in his castle aside. I thought it was a good conclusion to Buffy Vs Dracula, Xander struggling to free himself from Dracula's control and succeeding eventually. I loved that Xander seemed to have more control on Dracula than the other on him, reversing their roles in S5. Xander standing up to Dracula was his best moment in S8.

The other storylines weren't as focused on as this one: Xander being the head of the Scotland squad, Xander being the object of Buffy's interest, Xander and Dawn's blossoming relationship. I would have loved these storylines if there was more attention paid to them, I would have loved to see Xander struggling a little with leadership and taking lessons from Buffy. The Buffy having feelings for him was too vague that a lot of fans missed it and came out of the blue in #28. Xander/Dawn was completely written from Buffy's POV that it wasn't effective and charming at all.

2) Do you think there are dangling threads in S8 about Xander that should be addressed in S9?

I'd love to see a follow up on Buffy's feelings for Xander. I really hope they didn't just disappear – like Xander/Willow in S3. Not that I want Buffy to express her feelings for him again or Xander dumping Dawn for her, just an acknowledgement or a hint of jealousy.

Some resetment from the Slayers Xander left behind. It wasn't just Buffy who walked out on them, Xander did so, too.

I have to admit that I don't like it. I used to love the idea of it, but when it became reality, I started to dislike it. Maybe because we missed a lot of how it happened. Also, I just don't see any interesting conflict in the future between them. They're so alike, which is why it looks boring.

Spike! I want new subtext for my future Xander/Spike fics and they're always enjoyable together. A reluctant friendship between them filled with snark and name calling would be perfect!

I don't like the idea of Xander going behind Buffy's back. We know how "popular" Xander is in fandom and for some reason I don't see it done in a sympathetic light. I'd love to see Xander not enjoying a life away from the fight which creates tension between him and Dawn and maybe Xander trying a new job that relates to the season's main arc.

I'd also love to see tension between Xander and the slayers that were under his charge, see them angry at him for abandoning them, but Scott Allie had said that it won't happen.

6) SlayAlive will be having Scott Allie and Jeanty for a Q&A for the release of #1. What do you like to ask both of them about Xander?

Scott Allie: I've noticed that most of Xander's interactions are with either Buffy or Dawn, would it be possible to have him interact more with different characters like best friend Willow -whom he never shared a scene with at all in S8- and snarky former roommate Spike -whom his interactions with are always perfect and filled with awesome?

Jeanty: We finally got rid of Xander's uniform *wink* what's Xander's style in clothing in S9? For example, he used to have a thing for Hawaiian shirts until S5.
    Made by Trickyboxes

Thanks
    Thanked 4,117 Times in 1,068 Posts

Good thread Sosa!

I liked the build-up to his relationship with Dawn, and his conversation with Buffy in Turbulence. I also kind of enjoyed him geeking out about Buffy's superpowers. I was disappointed they never talked about his complicity in Buffy's bankrobbing and so on. He used to be willing to challenge her when she was going off course and he never did that this season. I think that fits where they are, but I wish it had been a plot point for further development of that arc.

Big time. We just got a reprise of seasons 2/3 where Buffy's love for Angel is horribly destructive. If we are going to be treating Xander as a rich well-developed character they have to deal with how that echoes with the season 3 conflict between Buffy and Xander. If they don't, the complicated aspects of Buffy and Xander's relationship is being suppressed, which means it's not being treated seriously.

And like I just said, I think we still need to deal with Xander's own failure to be a moral compass of any sort for Buffy in season 8. Add the two together and there ought to be some meaty developments.

I like it a lot... both in itself and for the extra dimension it adds to Xander and Buffy's relationship.

Spike, of course! Because everyone should interact with Spike!

Buffy and Willow obviously.

Dawn's a given.

He detaches from Buffy because of the issues they aren't dealing with, but eventually gets roped back in and they have to hash it out.

6) SlayAlive will be having Scott Allie and Jeanty for a Q&A for the release of #1. What do you like to ask both of them about Xander?[/QUOTE]

Is there any chance we'll get a new love interest for Spike? (ha ha -- I'm a Spike girl -- but I'll be rooting for you Xander folks to get some good answers to your questions!)

"I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Thanks

I liked the Xander/Renee stuff the most.

Well, there's not much to be addessed in S9, but I would like to see him interact with his squat again in one scene (I believe a big chunk of his squat survived the war). Him being gone from his squat just like that feels like dangling. With that regard I also would like to know if Slayers are blaming him as well like they are blaming Buffy.

Pretty okay with it. Don't like the whole normalcy angle of it though.

Simple answer: Faith. But then him in Angel and Faith.
    I want Xander to be active in the fight in one way or the other. A bit of drama with him can be good, but not necessary for me.

6) SlayAlive will be having Scott Allie and Jeanty for a Q&A for the release of #1. What do you like to ask both of them about Xander?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, no questions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
    I was disappointed they never talked about his complicity in Buffy's bankrobbing and so on. He used to be willing to challenge her when she was going off course and he never did that this season. I think that fits where they are, but I wish it had been a plot point for further development of that arc.

We just got a reprise of seasons 2/3 where Buffy's love for Angel is horribly destructive. If we are going to be treating Xander as a rich well-developed character they have to deal with how that echoes with the season 3 conflict between Buffy and Xander. If they don't, the complicated aspects of Buffy and Xander's relationship is being suppressed, which means it's not being treated seriously.

And like I just said, I think we still need to deal with Xander's own failure to be a moral compass of any sort for Buffy in season 8. Add the two together and there ought to be some meaty developments.
    I agree! You don't mind if I asked Scott about this? Using some of what you said as a quote?

I like it a lot... both in itself and for the extra dimension it adds to Xander and Buffy's relationship.
    I liked them a lot at the building up stage, but not so much when they became a couple. We saw the build up, but we didn't actually see how they became a couple. It's like watching the Spuffy build up in S5 but comes S6 and it's all from Xander's POV, the last thing we see of them is when Spike catches Buffy before she burns in OMWF and then nothing until a beaten up Spike says, "It was good enough for Buffy."

Xander/Dawn was all about Buffy, and that sucked. I do enjoy how Buffy feels about them together, but to be honest, I won't be invested in that ship until I see how they function together.

Is there any chance we'll get a new love interest for Spike? (ha ha -- I'm a Spike girl
    Of course! But do you think there's a question us Xander fans should ask about?

-- but I'll be rooting for you Xander folks to get some good answers to your questions!)
    Thanks. I hope we get good Spike answers, too.

koos, you have nothing to ask Allie and Jeanty about at all?
    Made by Trickyboxes

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Thanks for the wonderful thread Sosa! I hope this thread will stay busy for this next season and we'll have plenty to discuss with Xander. I don't have a lot of hope based on so little information we've heard for him, but as a Xander fan I'm use to holding onto a little bit hope even when the biggest storylines of him pass him by. Clearly I still have hope because I'm still here after all these years.

I would have to say Xander and Buffy's close relationship and Buffy further development of feelings for him. Although, technically that story was more for Buffy than Xander, it was still lovely to see them bonding and leaning on each other for comfort and support.

Like Sosa, I would love to see Buffy's feelings addressed for him more or acknowledge. That was a big deal for Buffy and something I've been waiting for well over a decade for, so it was great to see happen. But I also don't want to see it swept under the rug as if it never happened now that Angel and Spike are back in her story. That seems unfair to both Buffy's feelings and Xander.

So I don't want to see B/X have an affair or for Xander to dump Dawn for Buffy, but I would like to see Buffy dealing with her feelings for Xander and to acknowledge that they weren't just a fleeting thing in a moment of chaos.

I dislike it. Firstly, I have always felt that Xander played a big part in Dawn's upbringing and played an important male role model in the way that a father or older brother would fill for her. Xander and Buffy's family vibe with Dawn was played up in S7 and it was one of the things that I did love about that season, so itís hard for me to see Xander and Dawn as anything romantic. Itís hard to go from picturing Xander giving Dawn driving lessons and walks down the wedding aisle to be the one waiting down the wedding aisle for her.

Secondly, I just don't see how this is a positive thing *story wise* for Xander. He's already been in a serious adult relationship, so its nothing new. They are too much alike to make a relationship interesting from a story point of view. And the writers have already proven how interested they are in telling a story based on their relationship by the non-story we got for them in S8. They are simply too easy and too easily forgotten.

Buffy and Willow. I love their friendship and I don't want to see that suffer if Buffy is off doing the alone thing again or leaning more on Spike and/or new characters. Or Xander to be too busy for them because heís trying to be normal.

Willow because itís a shame to see how far these two have drifted from each other. I don't know if its purposely planned or just not important enough by the writers to be shown, but itís a shame either way.

At this point, I want to see Xander interact with anyone and everyone. Buffy, Willow, Spike, new characters, whatever. The one I least want to see is Dawn because at this point it feels like his role will be more about being Dawn's boyfriend than anything else. And this saddens me because I've always had a soft spot for Dawn and Xander's relationship (non-romantic).

I loved a lot of the storylines they set up for Xander in S8, I just wish they had actually explored them more instead of just telling us he was these things. So for S9, I really don't know what to expect, but I hope itís a good storyline that is compelling and actually explored instead of just shown and hinted at.

I would like to see Xander's POV of quitting the fight and retiring to the normal life. I want to know if he likes it or if he misses it. If he feels like he gave it up for Dawn and if it weren't for her would he still be out there? I want to see all the things that happen to him affect him and not just be the "mature" one who doesn't get to go through emotions and be the unaffected one.

I really want to participate in these Q&A's and I would love to get several questions in if possible, I just hope I can catch the different rounds right.

I'm trying to think of what I would like to ask, but itís kinda of hard when we know so little. I hope the first issue will have something we can find exciting, but I know one of the questions I want to ask is...

Many Xander fans are afraid that Xander will become more of Dawn's boyfriend than actual characterization and growth for him. They're afraid he'll too easily disappear into the background once again. Can you give us hope that he'll have his own story arc and a story for him that we will be excited to see?

Now onto discussions about other's answers....

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    For me, I think it depends on how they handle it. If itís just something that'll make Xander look like a jerk or like he's trying to control Buffy and the others fates because he thinks he knows best, than no. We see how well that worked out for Angel.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing him going behind peoples back if itís a good story for him. Like he's going behind their backs to protect them (not like Angel though) and in order to keep them out of trouble he sacrifices something from himself or promises things that would affect him instead of his friends. So, unlike Angel, he would be sacrificing his own happiness and health instead of sacrificing everyone elseís in order to make only him (and buffy or, in this case, dawn) happy. If that makes any sense.

I think Dipstick said it well in the news thread. Itís too an important role and character to mess up now after all his loyalty to Buffy and his friends, so I would hope they wouldnít botch it up in order to make it more mysterious or funny or whatever else.

Yes! I said this in another thread, I felt for the slayers who lost their two biggest leaders and all that they knew after giving up so much for them. I would love to see Xander's feelings on that. And if they were targeting him like they are for Buffy how he would feel about it and handel it.

This is a really good question. I'll be honest I'm not sure what I can ask for Jeanty. I'm not a comic book person, so I don't really know what to ask an artist of one. I don't know if he has enough insight in regards to Xander's role for the season that wonít be more based on his opinion than anything else. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Good thread Sosa!

Big time. We just got a reprise of seasons 2/3 where Buffy's love for Angel is horribly destructive. If we are going to be treating Xander as a rich well-developed character they have to deal with how that echoes with the season 3 conflict between Buffy and Xander. If they don't, the complicated aspects of Buffy and Xander's relationship is being suppressed, which means it's not being treated seriously.
    Good point. It would be good to hear his thoughts since he used to be the different voice of opinion for Buffy in the earlier days. Especially after Angel tormented them for months (or was it a year?) and killed Giles in front of him. Is he still willing to look past his dark issues in order to work with him? Well if he works with him if he's retired now.

Looking forward to the many discussions of this thread!

Thanks

koos, you have nothing to ask Allie and Jeanty about at all?
    I'm sorry. I have questions, like you know: what is going to happen? But we all know that's not going to be answered.
    Okay. Wait. I have one: do we get to see anything of the Scotland squat?

Thanks

The story between Buffy and Xander. It's also my least favorite story because of how they cheated us out of B/X. It really does feel like it was dangled in our face and then snatched out of reach. And they've ignored it ever since.

Maybe not a thread perse, but I still want to know just what the heck they were thinking by setting up Xander to do something about the Seed and then just having him stand there. That still bugs me.

I can't say I care for it. For one thing its a big obstacle for my favorite ship, some would say insurmountable but its definitely a problem. In addition, as has already been pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any conflict. They just took the two "normies" and stuck them together. It's not the least bit inspired.

Buffy, Willow, etc. Basically, I want him to be where the story is, or dare I say, have the story be where he is for a change.

I'm not really sure, since we know so little about the direction the season is going in. When I read that one review of issue 1 I really found myself liking the idea of the story that seemed to be suggested, so I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to just be a poor choice of words on the reviewers part.

"Speaking as a Xander fan, is there any reason we should be excited for season 9?" I guess that sounds a little too picky, but it would be some variation of that question. Avoid the specifics which he can dodge and just give him something he can answer without giving any away.
    ďThe world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.Ē -- Albert Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiger_fan View Post
    Yes! I said this in another thread, I felt for the slayers who lost their two biggest leaders and all that they knew after giving up so much for them. I would love to see Xander's feelings on that. And if they were targeting him like they are for Buffy how he would feel about it and handel it.
    It's good to see that I'm not the only one who wants to know this. I also want to know how those Slayers feel about it.

It's rather complicated since the general opinion among Slayers is that they feel betrayed by Buffy. But that also hold for the Scotland Squat? What about Satsu?

But my guess is that it will all be skipped in S9, not worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    "Speaking as a Xander fan, is there any reason we should be excited for season 9?" I guess that sounds a little too picky, but it would be some variation of that question. Avoid the specifics which he can dodge and just give him something he can answer without giving any away.
    The question is said well, but you know already the answer. Even if it is less than S7 they'll say he has good stuff or an interesting story to tell. Something overly positive.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,117 Times in 1,068 Posts

I agree! You don't mind if I asked Scott about this? Using some of what you said as a quote?
    Sure!

I liked them a lot at the building up stage, but not so much when they became a couple. We saw the build up, but we didn't actually see how they became a couple. It's like watching the Spuffy build up in S5 but comes S6 and it's all from Xander's POV, the last thing we see of them is when Spike catches Buffy before she burns in OMWF and then nothing until a beaten up Spike says, "It was good enough for Buffy."
    That makes sense. They did play it that way because it's in service of Buffy's story. Though I will say we did get to see a bit of how they function together in Retreat and in the opening issue of Twilight.

Of course! But do you think there's a question us Xander fans should ask about?
    It's hard to know ahead of time because we don't know what's coming in that first issue. I like the question about whether there will be any follow up about Xander and the slayers in his squad.

"I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Thanks
    Thanked 3,891 Times in 1,835 Posts

Time to have a thread to talk about our favorite carpenter's role in S9 - first issue comes out next Wed, yay!

There has been a lot of talk in several threads about Xander's arc in S9, so tiger_fan and I thought it's better to create a thread solely for that topic. Let's start with a few questions:

I would say that his growth as a leader, and trying to start a romance with Renee, losing her, avenging her, and getting it back together to lead his Slayers out of Angel's attempt to kill them all at the BHC was the best of it -- we even get the first real glimpse of his feelings for Dawn.

Had they not inexplicably just sliced him out of any decisive part of "Last Gleaming", it might have been his best season.

Well, they need to at least not pretend the Buffy part of it didn't happen, or they're just insulting us. I mean, that can't get put out there between friends, when one is dating the other's sister, and it just never get mentioned or affect the dynamics again.

I also want some exploration of why he wanted to leave the fight, what he was hoping to get from that.

Initially very disappointed that the misdirects toward Buffy/Xander were misdirects, but I actually really like their relationship now. It's like an inversion of a similar storyline in another show I'm watching now that I also like a lot ("Vampire Diaries" Season 2)
    Spoiler:
    Bonnie and Jeremy.

Pretty much any and all characters. I want him relevant to the major throughlines of the season. Even if he were a "villain", I wouldn't want him to be Angelus or the Mayor who is a distant other who doesn't interact with the others, I'd want him to be Damon Salvatore who, despite being a nominal "bad guy" a lot of the time is always interacting with everybody.

If there's ever crossover time to allow it, I still want some interaction with Faith. I definitely want interaction with Willow, though. We got nothing in Season 8.

Just a major one, and for him to preferably still be alive.

I'm not sure. I don't think we get very open answers about Xander even though, really, Xander fans don't ask questions nearly as particular as fans of other characters or 'ships do.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

I loved his getting a leadership role; he stepped up to the plate and showed that is experience as a soldier in Halloween as actually a kind of foreshadowing.

I don't want any kind of permanent rift between Buffy and Xander but I do feel he needs to tell her how it feels that somone he was beginning to fall in love with died because of Twilight. I think it would be logical for Xander to have some anger issues he's trying to suppress.

I like it a lot now. At first I was leary of it but it evolved in a very believable way. From the very beginning of 8 Xander we a big source of support for Dawn. I like the gradual way the two went from friends to lovers.

Spike; I've been a Spander since 4 and I want some juicy scenes between the two of them.

That his dark side gets explored more fully; Xander is a complex man and his jokes can hide a lot of emotipn.

What kind of role can we expect Xander to have in fighting evil by mid season.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reddygirl View Post
    I don't want any kind of permanent rift between Buffy and Xander but I do feel he needs to tell her how it feels that somone he was beginning to fall in love with died because of Twilight. I think it would be logical for Xander to have some anger issues he's trying to suppress.
    I didn't think that Twilight had anything to do with Toru and his gang. Was I wrong?
    ďThe world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.Ē -- Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 3,891 Times in 1,835 Posts

I didn't think that Twilight had anything to do with Toru and his gang. Was I wrong?
    Actually, until someone gives me a reason to think otherwise, I'll assume that at the very least they were inspired by him, if not taking orders from him. And it goes without saying that he could have intervened.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Actually, until someone gives me a reason to think otherwise, I'll assume that at the very least they were inspired by him, if not taking orders from him. And it goes without saying that he could have intervened.
    That's what I thought.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,773 Times in 5,271 Posts

Well I haven't seen all of the issues of S8 yet but from what I have seen so far I like it when Xander got involved in his leadership role. I think it draws out a very capable part of his nature and it reminds me of when he found his carpentry role and started to settle into being the working adult around the HS gang. He always seemed to relax into being himself more at this point.

I think, from what I have seen, that there is potentially a lot left that could be explored more with Xander. His feelings about what happened to Renee coupled with the reveal about Angel and his emotions about watching Giles die are the obvious ones for me. Everyone just seems to expect Xander to soak it all up and deal without him getting to outwardly work things through.

I have never been a massive Xander fan and the bits I have liked have been the friendship/support of Buffy and Willow but I have never liked his romantic stories much and it is this side, and his behaviour during some, that puts me off him a bit I think. I dislike the fact that he was basically a brotherly figure in their relationship originally (despite Dawn's teen crush) and am not convinced but am not highly anti either. I withhold judgement at the moment.

I would have liked to see Xander and Angel a bit following all that happened is S8 piled on top of the earlier seasons but this is not to be. I do want to form a decision on the whole Dawn thing, so a bit more of their relationship dynamics.

Also, Spike, just for a bit more Spike TBH. I have never thought much of their interactions beyond comedy snark and was disappointed that they didn't develop the dynamics of the two when Spike lived with Xander in S7, it had been funny when he lived in Xander's basement briefly. But it would be interesting if Xander settled into accepting Spike as a possibly constant feature of Buffy's life (in whatever way), this would be a mature development for him I feel.

Some proper content for him and his reactions to S8 in combination with the attempt to pull away from the action and why.

Will Xander get to address his feelings/reaction about Angel and Giles?

Thanks

Secondly, I just don't see how this is a positive thing *story wise* for Xander. He's already been in a serious adult relationship, so its nothing new. They are too much alike to make a relationship interesting from a story point of view. And the writers have already proven how interested they are in telling a story based on their relationship by the non-story we got for them in S8. They are simply too easy and too easily forgotten.
    Word. That sums up what I dislike about Xander/Dawn in a nutshell. Let's hope the writing staff has more imagination than us.

This is a really good question. I'll be honest I'm not sure what I can ask for Jeanty. I'm not a comic book person, so I don't really know what to ask an artist of one. I don't know if he has enough insight in regards to Xander's role for the season that won’t be more based on his opinion than anything else. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
    It's hard to ask questions about the art when we haven't read the first issue yet. With Jeanty it's better to keep the questions about nothing but the art or maybe his opinion about the storylines already presented. He's not part of the writing staff, so he won't have an insight about what's gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Koos View Post
    I'm sorry. I have questions, like you know: what is going to happen? But we all know that's not going to be answered.
    Okay. Wait. I have one: do we get to see anything of the Scotland squat?
    That's a very good question. You should ask it.

When I read that one review of issue 1 I really found myself liking the idea of the story that seemed to be suggested, so I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to just be a poor choice of words on the reviewers part.
    I really loved the whole damaged part of the review, but I'm not going to have high hopes about it yet, because it seemed to be talking about what happened to Xander in earlier seasons.

I'm not sure. I don't think we get very open answers about Xander even though, really, Xander fans don't ask questions nearly as particular as fans of other characters or 'ships do.
    Perhaps that's true. We don't really know anything about Xander's role in S9 so our questions may come out too redundant. That's why I wanted to see different questions here and I'm glad we've got so many to ask.

So far the Xander questions for Scott Allie presented here are:

1) I've noticed that most of Xander's interactions are with either Buffy or Dawn, would it be possible to have him interact more with different characters like best friend Willow -whom he never shared a scene with at all in S8- and snarky former roommate Spike -whom his interactions with are always perfect and filled with awesome?

2) Many Xander fans are afraid that Xander will become more of Dawn's boyfriend than actual characterization and growth for him. They're afraid he'll too easily disappear into the background once again. Can you give us hope that he'll have his own story arc and a story for him that we will be excited to see?

3) Speaking as a Xander fan, is there any reason we should be excited for season 9?

4) Will there be any follow up about Xander and the slayers in his squad?

5) What kind of role can we expect Xander to have in fighting evil by mid season?

6) Will Xander get to address his feelings/reaction about Angel and Giles?

Made a couple of questions out of Maggie's post:

7) I was disappointed there was no mention of Xander's complicity in Buffy's bankrobbing and so on. He used to be willing to challenge her when she was going off course and he never did that in S8. I think that fits where they are, but I wish it had been a plot point for further development of that arc. Will it be addressed in S9?

8) In S8, we got a reprise of seasons 2/3 where Buffy's love for Angel is horribly destructive. Xander's reaction to what happened in S8 (his faith and trust in Buffy without judging her or yelling at her) is a big contrast from his anger and going on a mission to kill Angel with Faith in S3. If we are going to be treating Xander as a rich well-developed character, shouldn't the writers deal with how that echoes with the season 3 conflict between Buffy and Xander?
    Made by Trickyboxes

Thanks

Word. That sums up what I dislike about Xander/Dawn in a nutshell. Let's hope the writing staff has more imagination than us.
    I have not a problem with the ship itself. I'm only afraid it will turn out in a Xander/Anya ship (which I didn't like), where it is all about normalcy and humanity. I rather saw Xander/Renee. With Renee being a Slayer I would have been certain that Xander would stay in the fight. Hell, could even get interesting if Renee also felt that Buffy had betrayed them and hated her for while Xander still wants to be friends with Buffy. Dawn can be a pain in Buffy's ass but she will be always be on her side.

I'm afraid Xander and Dawn are paired up so they can be easily be pushed to the background.

Konoha Green Beast!
    Thanks

I say we bombard them with Xander shaped questions until they are overwhelmed like last time! We got good answers when we did that last time, well we got answers at least.

We bombard them right out the gate!
    Hey guys what happened to the Xander thread from last season? I think I wrote in it some questions I didn't get to ask cause we ran out of time.

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

The question is said well, but you know already the answer. Even if it is less than S7 they'll say he has good stuff or an interesting story to tell. Something overly positive.
    Maybe so, but I would rather have that kind of answer than not ask the question at all. It seemed like in the last Q&A that Allie was a bit surprised to see so many Xander questions, so it would be great to show him that fans are interested in seeing something for him. It would be nice to keep the fact that people are asking and interested in hearing a story about him in his mind. Does that make any sense? I may not be explaining it well.

As Stoney pointed out, there is a lot of potential story left for him and it would be great to point out that there are fans out there asking and showing interest in these stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post

I think, from what I have seen, that there is potentially a lot left that could be explored more with Xander. His feelings about what happened to Renee coupled with the reveal about Angel and his emotions about watching Giles die are the obvious ones for me. Everyone just seems to expect Xander to soak it all up and deal without him getting to outwardly work things through.
    Yes, I totally agree. It is very disappointed that we don't get to see him go through the emotions of these things. I know its a joke that Xander has the worst luck with love because his loves keep dying or all the destruction he's seen to himself and those around him, but it doesn't really feel like the deaths and other things affected him very much because they were always brushed off and used as humor or as stories for others. I would love a story where Xander was having a hard time dealing with everything. It'd be more believable to real life, imo.

Heck, they can even have Spike be the first one to notice since he usually better at spotting the scoob's pain because he has the advantage of being a step back than they are to each other. Plus, I'm sure Spike knows a little of how rough Xander has it being the normal one after all that time they lived together. I'm sure Spike saw how the fight affected him physically when everything was over and every room else went home.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post

Will Xander get to address his feelings/reaction about Angel and Giles?
    This is a really good question. You should definitely ask it. I hope it isn't glossed over either.

It's hard to ask questions about the art when we haven't read the first issue yet. With Jeanty it's better to keep the questions about nothing but the art or maybe his opinion about the storylines already presented. He's not part of the writing staff, so he won't have an insight about what's gonna happen.
    Yes, I feel the same way. Maybe I'll ask something about Xander art. Like, The Xander fans are eager to see his role in S9. Can you tell us if you had any interesting or exciting scenes for Xander to draw?

I know this is pretty much a yes or no answer so maybe it's not worth it. But then again, at least it shows I'm interested in seeing Xander.

I have not a problem with the ship itself. I'm only afraid it will turn out in a Xander/Anya ship (which I didn't like), where it is all about normalcy and humanity. I rather saw Xander/Renee. With Renee being a Slayer I would have been certain that Xander would stay in the fight. Hell, could even get interesting if Renee also felt that Buffy had betrayed them and hated her for while Xander still wants to be friends with Buffy. Dawn can be a pain in Buffy's ass but she will be always be on her side.

I'm afraid Xander and Dawn are paired up so they can be easily be pushed to the background.
    I totally agree. And good point about Xander/Renee. I hadn't thought about what the conflict they could have used if she had survived and they stayed together. That would have been an interesting set up for a story.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaddyMan1 View Post
    I say we bombard them with Xander shaped questions until they are overwhelmed like last time! We got good answers when we did that last time, well we got answers at least.

We bombard them right out the gate!
    Hey guys what happened to the Xander thread from last season? I think I wrote in it some questions I didn't get to ask cause we ran out of time.
    LOL yes, any answer is good at this point. With what little we know it'd be great to hear that something was planned for him.

As for the other thread. I think it was the B/X thread. Its still around I believe but with the slow activity of summer and the fact there's not much to discuss comic wise for the couple its hasn't had much activity. But we're still here!