Page 1 of 152 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Spuffy in Season 9

Library Researcher Tranquillity's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Spuffy in Season 9

Do you want Spike to have moved on? If so, what would you want that to look like? If not, what do you think Spike should be doing?
    I have to admit that I don't really want Spike to have 'moved on' - I'm good with the guy still being right keen on Buffy . . . That being said I want him to be pro-active guy too; I want him to be important to the story and not just hanging around wearing his heart on his sleeve or reduced to just being 'the love interest'. I think Spike and Buffy have stuff to sort through and I really just want them to sort it and if that leads to renewed romance, then sweet, but if it leads to friendship then that would be fine with me too. In short, I am happy that Spike will be a regular in season nine and will be happy with whatever they do with him as long as they don't put him into a mask and turn him into a super villian.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tranquillity For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (12-07-18)

Thanks

I love Spuffy in any form - be it season 4 snark, season 5 tentative dancing lessons, teh sex of season 6, or sweet love-friendship in season 7.

Given how disastrously Buffy's romances usually end up, I'd rather see friendship (soaked in UST, of course than passionate love affair. Judging by the fire escape scene in #40, Spuffy relationship will go in that direction.

But Joss is unpredictable. He could introduce a twist no-one of us is able to foresee.

So, echoing Tranquility, I just hope that Spike won't be turned into a supervillain. In season 8 he came too close to the notion of a "hero" - and Joss confessed recently that he doesn't know how to write heroes (when he was talking about Angel in his Australian interview). So he drags them through mud to make them interesting for him

But I digress. I don't think that Spike has moved on. If he'd moved on, he'd have nothing to do in a Buffy show.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moscow Watcher For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (12-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,230 Posts

I don't either he's really moved on and I don't want him to have moved on from loving Buffy, but I think that since S7 he's been moving on from wanting her or hoping to have a relationship with her. He's convinced himself that she doesn't love him and won't ever love him and that's easier than allowing himself to hope and expect something again, which hurt too much in the past. By the end of Chosen, it was already too late for Buffy's declaration of love to make any difference. Season 5 of AtS cements this, if he wasn't moving on he would have called her or at least allow Andrew to tell her he was alive, but instead he opted to leave things hanging instead of getting an answer to how she would react if he came back. Which means his fears of getting hurt and disappointed already trumped his desire to be with her. There's too much painful history to get over, and if his state of mind is the way I think it is, he is now likely to be oblivious to any signals of her feelings for him, even if they get much more obvious. Believing it would be too hard and too emotionally risky. Spike used to be completely open and reckless with his feelings, but since he got his soul back he's been pulling away more and more.

I don't think he expects any romantic relationship with her, I think he just wants to be there for her and help her when she needs help. Which really makes him look better than if he's there just because, as some people would put it, he wants "to get into her pants"... But could lead to a lot miscommunication that could be both interesting to watch and heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Moscow Watcher View Post
    So, echoing Tranquility, I just hope that Spike won't be turned into a supervillain. In season 8 he came too close to the notion of a "hero" - and Joss confessed recently that he doesn't know how to write heroes (when he was talking about Angel in his Australian interview). So he drags them through mud to make them interesting for him
    Joss never said that he doesn't know how to write heroes. He sure knows how to write Buffy, and she's a hero. (Not that she doesn't get dragged through the mud, but she's certainly not a supervillain.) But she's a tiny woman so she already isn't your classic hero by default. He likes heroes like Mal who aren't your classic, stereotypical heroes. What he has a problem with is characters who seem to fit the traditional idea of a hero, which Angel seems to on the surface (brooding tall handsome man who isn't snarky or geeky or obnoxious or silly or a screw-up... well, actually, he does get to be all of that, but only as a subversion of his immediate hero image that most people see when they first meet him).

edit: I wasn't sure whether to comment on this, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
    In TGIQ, both Angel and Spike are pretty much mocked for still chasing around after Buffy, and they end the episode telling each other they need to move on.
    In TGIQ, Angel and Spike are quite rightfully mocked (the only thing that the episode is right about, if it hadn't been portrayed in such a silly and OOC way) for treating Buffy as a trophy in their pissing contest with each other (which they had been doing the whole season) and with a third party rival. Of course, the episode itself was guilty of absolutely the same thing and portrayed Buffy as nothing more than a "Kim Kardashian arm candy" (quote: King via Vampmogs) for some jet set Gary Stu guy (until, fortunately, season 8 retconed this demeaning portrayal of Buffy; sadly, we're still left with OOC and OTT Angel and Spike acting like they had both dropped some 50 IQ points).

I don't think it's to Angel's credit as a character that he's depicted in season 8 as still being all about Buffy.
    Well that's hardly the main problem, is it. It's that he's depicted as being someone who'd put on a mask and abuse and deceive Buffy for an entire season in order to strip her of her moral certainty, then tell her nonsense about them being 'destined' from the start to be together, and then opt to stay with her in a paradise for two while the rest of the world is destroyed. Being obsessed with Buffy is character regression since he had very much moved on in seasons 2-4 and it can only be believable as something Angel reverted to because the other most important women in his life, the ones he obsessed over in seasons 2-4, are dead, and because he lost his son. I don't think it would be a problem if he had been in love with Buffy in a way that's not an overblown Twilight-adolescent fantasy.

I don't think that being in love with Buffy is such a terrible character flaw or a disease, and it should be possible to be in love with her without turning into an obsessive stalker/abusive jerk, and without treating her as one's purpose in life, muse on the pedestal and/or shining trophy and ultimate stamp of approval of one's self-worth, heroism and redemption. Hopefully.
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 04-06-11 at 02:03 AM.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (12-07-18)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 611 Posts

If season 8 hadn't have happened the way it did, then yes I would have liked to have seen either party try and iron out their past 'issues' when it came to how they stood emotionally with each other after all this time. Hell Whedon and co seem to avoid dealing with season 7's fallout like It was the plague, but considering the hatchet job the comics did to Buffys character, then no thanks. I think Spike deserves better then that I'm sad to say.

Thanks

I'm ambivalent. I'm ok with Spike having moved on from wanting Buffy in an active way, because I'm positive that he doesn't think even for a second that that's what she wants. If she made any sort of move now, he'd think it was just sexual desire for her 'back-up' vamp. Whether or not that's true, I'm sure that's what he thinks after the events of season 8. Given that, I'm ok with him having moved on mentally from any thoughts of them being together.

On the other hand, though, I don't want to think that he's 'moved on' in the sense of not being in love with Buffy to the exclusion of all others. This is because his love for her is so integral to who he chose to become, and at least one of the main reasons he fought for his soul. I just don't buy that it's something that he could just get rid of, even if he wants to. I like to think that where he is with Buffy is where he was in Touched, when he's explaining that he doesn't want anything from her. He loves who she is, and it has nothing to do with him. I think it's the most noble sentiment he ever expresses about his love for Buffy, and I would admire his character greatly if that's how he's continuing to see Buffy even after her colossal screw-up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gregor For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (12-07-18)

Library Researcher
    Thanks

Yay! New Spuffy thread!

Do you want Spike to have moved on? If so, what would you want that to look like? If not, what do you think Spike should be doing?

Moved on in the trying to convince himself that he has sense. His instinct is still to be there for Buffy, even if he's doing so under the impression that it's strictly business. As the season goes along I'd like to see those business and personal reasons becoming blurred. If he hasn't moved on, I'd like Spike to be a bit overenthusiastic about helping Buffy. Kind of like his early Season Five days. If that's what Allie means by regressing, I have no problem with that.

Tallgent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gregor
    This is because his love for her is so integral to who he chose to become, and at least one of the main reasons he fought for his soul. I just don't buy that it's something that he could just get rid of, even if he wants to. I like to think that where he is with Buffy is where he was in Touched, when he's explaining that he doesn't want anything from her. He loves who she is, and it has nothing to do with him.
    this.

i don't think i would mind so much if the story went in a direction where many, many years down the road, spike realizes he isn't in love with her anymore. but right now, it hasn't been that long since he got his soul back, and as she is the reason he did so, it would be weird for that love to just vanish. there would have to be a progression toward it, i think.

also, agree that it would be great to see them at the same point they were at in "touched". i would really like to see a close friendship before i could believe they could be in a real relationship.
    Oz: Sometimes when I'm sitting in class... You know, I'm not thinking about class, 'cause that would never happen. I think about kissing you. And it's like everything stops. It's like, it's like freeze frame. Willow kissage.

Thanks

I've been away for three weeks without internet access and I was really hoping to come home and find some spoilers for 9. Oh well, hopefully soon...

I think Spike is still in love with Buffy but he doesn't think she loves him. Spike seems to feel very comfortable in his own skin and no longer has to have someone to validate his self worth by loving him.

It would greatly surprise me to see Spike pursue Buffy. And for many reasons I don't think will want to open up herself for more romantic pain right now. So, I expect lots of UST, snarky, witty banter and mixed signals.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddygirl For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (12-07-18)

Sunnydale High Student Darynthe's Avatar
    Thanks

I am a big Spuffy fan, so I truly expect that they will banter on and grow again their unsolved tension!! That is what they do best. I really really hope they don't start a relationship until the end of the season or even next season. That would be a receipt for badness if we know Joss. But organically the next step would be for Buffy to actively persue him. Just saying.... Maybe they will bring a real love interest for him... maybe Iryllia??

I find it fun that Joss exchanged Spike for Faith... hahaha, good one. I am happy he changed mind about Spike being in Angel's story.

What do you think guys? I a pretty sure Bangel is over...

Anwyay, I'd love to see Spike and Buffy have a child one day even they are not in a relationship. I know it is impossible... but anyway, wouldn' it be cool....
    Last edited by Darynthe; 09-06-11 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darynthe View Post
    I am a big Spuffy fan, so I truly expect that they will banter on and grow again their unsolved tension!! That is what they do best. I really really hope they don't start a relationship until the end of the season or even next season. That would be a receipt for badness if we know Joss. But organically the next step would be for Buffy to actively persue him. Just saying.... Maybe they will bring a real love interest for him... maybe Iryllia??

I find it fun that Joss exchanged Spike for Faith... hahaha, good one. I am happy he changed mind about Spike being in Angel's story.

Anwyay, I'd love to see Spike and Buffy have a child one day even they are not in a relationship. I know it is impossible... but anyway, wouldn' it be cool....

I don`t think that it is possible for Illyria to be Spike`s loves interest. We never know Illyria what kind of sex it is. She/He/It ? is an ancient god , which is not female . It just possessed a female/ Fred`s / body , so I think it is impossible. Also Illyria considers that the vampires are much beneath it. May be she may develop some human feelings, but not romantic love.

About Buffy and Spike having a child- I don`t think that Joss would going so far. It is impossible of course , except if Spike become somehow a human. But about Buffy/Spike relationship - I also wanna see them together again with all their funny fights like it was in S 6 .
    maked by plamivasi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 395 Posts

Hello there.

Are you this Darynthe Happy Birthday Buffy! An rushed essay of Once More with Feeling???

Welcome back to the club, then.
    "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
    Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

Thanks

I'd love to see Spike and Buffy have a child one day even they are not in a relationship. I know it is impossible...
    About Buffy and Spike having a child- I don`t think that Joss would going so far. It is impossible of course , except if Spike become somehow a human.
    It's not exactly impossible, look at Connor And his parents were both vampires (at least in this case Buffy is human, so it's even greater chance at happening). I think them having a child would be an amazing story. Buffy dealing with being a mother. And Spike dealing with being a father .

I am not saying it's going to happen, just that it's not impossible
    Last edited by Sky; 09-06-11 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks

I would never count Bangel out, though as a Spuffy I do hope that chapter is closed and that Buffy and Spike get another chance at a relationship.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reddygirl View Post
    I would never count Bangel out, though as a Spuffy I do hope that chapter is closed
    I hope that that chapter is closed as a romantic possibility not as a Spuffy, but as someone who respects Joss Whedon and his storytelling and characterization skills.

And this is completely unrelated to Spuffy and whether they get another chance at a relationship, whether they do and relationship fails, or he dies for real, or some other tragedy strikes etc. etc.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darynthe View Post

Welcome to the thread, Darynthe!

I may be wrong, but I always had the impression that Joss is VERY interested in exploring Angel/Faith dynamics. I suspect that on the first two seasons of AtS Joss kept Cordelia as a bench-warmer because he hoped to lure ED as a regular or, at least, a recurring star. But by season 4 it was too late, and he needed her on BtVS more.

But now Joss can finally do what he mants with Angel and Faith. And I'm thrilled about them.

Re: Illyria. Again, I may be wrong, but I have the impression that he'll eventually pair her with Willow. Joss loves to surpass himself. Willow needs somebody who could surpass a snake-woman.

I'm not sure that Bangel is completely over - after all, Joss won't be Joss if he moves off the fence. But, so far, Spike is next to Buffy, so I plan to enjoy their banter and to hope for smoochies and all the rest. Except... it would mean upcoming major badness, because it's Joss, you know.

_Buffy_
    About Buffy and Spike having a child- I don`t think that Joss would going so far. It is impossible of course , except if Spike become somehow a human.
    Last season Buffy and Angel produced a charming baby called Twilight. I guess that Joss has a lot of kinky ideas about vampire children

Thanks

I'm not sure that Bangel is completely over - after all, Joss won't be Joss if he moves off the fence.
    Bangel is certainly not over as a relationship in general. But it has to be over as a romantic relationship/possibility, or else I'll lose any respect for Joss's storytelling and characterization.

If he didn't want to move from the fence, he shouldn't have done the Twilight arc.

Thanks

If once Buffy is "cookies" she still wants to be with Angel after everything else that's happened, in my book she's the kind of cookies that are not properly baked and gives everyone parasites.

Sunnydale High Student Darynthe's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ubi4soft View Post
    Hello there.

Are you this Darynthe Happy Birthday Buffy! An rushed essay of Once More with Feeling???

Welcome back to the club, then.
    Oh my you have a great memory! Thanks for remembering that and for the welcome!. LOL

Yeah, I am back once more with feeling.
    (by the way, what a gorgeous Spike art? Where can I see it in better resolution?)

Welcome to the thread, Darynthe!

I may be wrong, but I always had the impression that Joss is VERY interested in exploring Angel/Faith dynamics. I suspect that on the first two seasons of AtS Joss kept Cordelia as a bench-warmer because he hoped to lure ED as a regular or, at least, a recurring star. But by season 4 it was too late, and he needed her on BtVS more.

But now Joss can finally do what he mants with Angel and Faith. And I'm thrilled about them.

Re: Illyria. Again, I may be wrong, but I have the impression that he'll eventually pair her with Willow. Joss loves to surpass himself. Willow needs somebody who could surpass a snake-woman.

I'm not sure that Bangel is completely over - after all, Joss won't be Joss if he moves off the fence. But, so far, Spike is next to Buffy, so I plan to enjoy their banter and to hope for smoochies and all the rest. Except... it would mean upcoming major badness, because it's Joss, you know.

Last season Buffy and Angel produced a charming baby called Twilight. I guess that Joss has a lot of kinky ideas about vampire children
    Wow, Illyria with Willow... never thought about that one, well I am not a big fan of Willow's love life.

I honestly never liked Angel. And it is not the actor, I really adore him in Bones... it is Angel per se. And now with what he did... did you check the art out of the new Angel comic?
    Spoiler:
    He is flippant about his killing Giles! I totally hate him so much, he is total scum...

Therefore much more than my being an Spuffy fan, I prefer Buffy to end alone or with anyone else at all, except with Angel after what he has done. I would despise Buffy if she decides to have sex or a new relationship with him again. I totally agree with TimetravellingBunny here.

Finally, Twilight was Buffy's child? What? I need to read the whole story, I just read the last three or four instalments...

Anyway, please guys if you have time check this illustration I did of Buffy and her child...
    Last edited by Ehlwyen; 28-07-11 at 05:05 PM. Reason: double post

Thanks

EDIT: Completely changed my mind on the whole baby issue! >.<

As for Spuffy in season 9, I really hope to see a) Buffy pursuing Spike and b) Spike still in love with Buffy but the feelings are buried really deep. I think if they do get back together it should be near the end of the season or during season 10 (that was confirmed right?). I just want a lot of interaction and for their relationship to be an important one.
    Last edited by Tennyoelf; 20-08-11 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Stupidity at it's best!

Thanks

Darynthe, your art work is lovely. Welcome back to fandom!

I doubt we'll be seeing a Spuffy baby, or Buffy having a child with anyone. I'm willing to bet there will be no more mystical pregancies and think Buffy would be very hesitant to become a mother knowing her odds of surviving on a day-to-day basis are much, much lower than the average person's prospects of being around to raise a child.

I doubt we'll be seeing any traditional "hearts and flowers" romantic from any future Spuffy, which is fine with me. As I've mentioned in other posts, I hope Spuffy Mach III will be on the lines of Nick and Nora Charles.

Joss could definitely decide to completely revamp Bangel, so to speak, and of course that would have to include honestly and remorse between Buffy and Angel over the whole Twilight mess.