Thread: 10x21/22 "Finale"

Somebody Save Me... DigitalLeonardo's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 10x21/22 "Finale"

So we are days away from the final 2 hours of Smallville. So this thread maybe a bit early, but I really wanted to throw out some speculations or at least some hopes and see if they come true, haha.

I would, of course, really like to see Clark wear that damn suit! After 10 years I'll be rather chocked if he doesn't get in it. I am a tad worry that Tom won't fit in it cause Brandon Routh was really toned when he did Superman Returns, but we'll hopefully see. I'd also like to see a flashforward or sorts similar to "Charmed" or "Six Feet Under". But again, I dunno.

Well whatever happends, I know I'll be glad that they got a real finale.

Yay Smallville!

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 974 Posts

I'm putting this all under spoilers because this reveals a lot from the finale.

Spoiler:
    http://tv.ign.com/articles/116/1167267p1.html

Smallville Finale Mega-Preview

We check out footage from the final episode and get a ton of info on what to expect from Lex Luthor's return and more.

May 10, 2011

In just three days, Smallville comes to an end, after an incredibly impressive ten-season run. Today, I was among a group of press who went to The CW offices to get a special sneak preview of the finale and get some info from executive producers/showrunners Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders about what to expect in the two-hour conclusion.

Keep in mind, we were not shown the entire finale, just a quick montage of scenes, lasting a few minutes, which didn't include anything from the end of the episode. But obviously, if you want to go in completely blind, you'll want to look away now, because there are going to be some spoilers ahead – though producer-approved ones!

The clips included:

•Tess speaking to Granny Goodness, telling her she'd never join her. Granny then brings up the coming of Apokolips, saying, "It's not coming, Lutessa. It's upon us.'

•Martha telling Clark that when she sent him the deed for the farm, she didn't mean for him to sell it. Clark argues with Martha, telling her they need to put aside their past. We see Clark looking at a photo of Martha and Jonathan and Jonathan's face appears in the reflection in the glass… and as Clark walks away from Martha, we see (but Clark and Martha don't) Jonathan standing there, looking concerned.

•Lois telling Clark, "Some things you just can't fix," and Clark telling her if she really intends to call off the wedding, "You're going to have to leave me at the altar."

•At the Daily Planet, Chloe trying to convince Lois to go through with the wedding. When Lois brings up all the people Clark needs to help, Chloe tells Lois, "He can't listen all the time, Lois. He's not God." She says that when Clark finally takes flight, he'll need Lois "to ground him."

•In a busy room at the Planet, Lois asking Clark, "How many are marked?" Clark uses his X-Ray vision and sees almost the entire room has the omega symbol on their head and tells Lois, "More than you want to know."

•Lionel telling Tess, "When the day is done, the Luthor name will be resurrected," and that Lex has survived via a clone, made up of the best parts of himself. There was also another thing Lionel revealed here about Lex that is the one thing we saw in the footage we were asked not to talk about… (Sorry, guys!)

•Lex Luthor confronting Clark in the burnt out Luthor mansion, telling him, "I can't say I love what you've done to the place." Lex tells Clark, "Out story hasn't been written yet, Kal-El," adding, "Every villain is only as great as his hero." Lex then reveals he knows about Darkseid and Apokolips and that Clark is needed to stop it – insinuating he wants Clark to save the day for all of Earth, before the two of them can commence their own battle. He tells Clark the Veritas journals spoke of a "chosen savior." When Clark says he alone can't stop Darkseid, Lex replies, "We both know who can."

•While driving, Tess's car is run off the road and she is surrounded by men with guns. We also see her in a lab, showing her formidable fighting skills as she fights a man, pinning him down with her leg. We also see Tess walk into her office and her chair swivels around in front of her, revealing Lex sitting waiting for her.

•At what looks to be Lois and Clark's wedding, Oliver hits someone, sending them smashing through a window – it was a quick shot, but it may have been Clark. We also see what appears to be Oliver (in his full Green Arrow costume) and Granny Goodness facing off.

•There are a lot of appropriately apocalyptic shots for the aptly named Apokolips, as the entire planet approaches Earth – and the sky above the Daily Planet becomes red and hell-like, as a plane careens towards the ground.

•The clips ended with some very intriguing shots – including one of Clark floating (flying?) high above the ground, and another of Clark running up the stairs at the Daily Planet, unbuttoning his shirt. Lastly, we hear the voice of Jonathan saying, "Son, it's time," over a shot of the Superman costume inside the Fortress of Solitude. So what else was revealed during the subsequent Q&A with Peterson and Souders? Let's take it topic by topic…

Lex Luthor

I asked the showrunners just how down to the wire it came to signing Michael Rosenbaum to return for the finale and Souders joked, "It was over the wire. It was past the wire," with Peterson noting they had written a version of the finale without him in it - though they would have always revealed Lex was orchestrating certain events behind the scenes, even if we never got to see him again on screen. Peterson also revealed, "There were a couple of things we had planned on planting in the season that we didn't, because we didn't know that we were going to have him."

As for what fans should expect now that Lex is firmly back in the finale, Peterson noted, "We only had Michael [Rosenbaum] for one day, so there was only so much we could do with him in the story. We really wanted to keep this Clark's finale. But Lex plays a very interesting role and there are a couple of big twists with Lex that we didn't show you."

Added Souders, "When we were thinking about Rosenbaum coming back and Lex, our Lex, what his purpose was, it was always kind of not quite what you expected and much more human and emotional than I think any of us starting out Smallville would have expected. We really went back to the pilot and thought, 'There's that guy who showed up and was totally personable and super sympathetic and just wanted to thank a guy for saving his life.' So when we looked at having him back for the finale, it was the same thing, which is they're going to go on to be huge enemies, so what is it that's pivotal in this moment that's our Lex Luthor and our Clark Kent and how do we wrap up their relationship, that has been so complicated and mixed with emotions for ten years?"

Jonathan Kent

Jonathan's presence is obviously pretty confusing at face value. Said Souders, "I think it'll become really clear what role Jonathan plays and why he shows up the way he does in this episode. Every time I see certain moments with Jonathan, I definitely get a tear in my eye after all these weeks of watching the footage." Peterson recalled how Clark spoke to Jonathan at the end of the Season 10 premiere and explained, "The whole point was to bookend the final season with Jonathan. So he's introduced [in the finale] in that same kind of way."

Chloe Sullivan

Peterson noted, "There are a lot of different ways people want Chloe to end, so I think we service her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she's becoming." Peterson promised a big moment for Chloe and Clark in the finale, which Souders said shows, "how she interacts with the overall mythology. And I'll say that Chloe fans should just definitely stay tuned through the whole show. There's a jewel." Said Peterson, with a smile, "There's a certain thing that we gave her that nobody [else] got."

Green Arrow

When it came to Oliver's role in the finale, Peterson remarked, "We wanted to service him, but this show is about Clark and Chloe and Martha. It started as one thing and we kind of wanted to end it [with that]." That being said, Peterson noted, "He has a big, heroic moment. He has a big arc. He has some complications, clearly."

Said Souders, "You really see what an impact that these heroes coming together has made on him and that having Clark as a friend. It's very clear in this episode… it defines that relationship and what it means to both of them. And I think there's a really great moment where you just see their friendship and that bond and that's what's going to get them through a lot of hard times in the future." Peterson also said that because Oliver wouldn't have as much time or focus in the finale, they purposely gave him a large role in "Dominion" and "Prophecy." What You Won't See

Discussing elements they didn't get to include, Souders revealed, "We probably would have liked to have seen the JLA a little more this season. John Jones was somebody we really wanted to bring back and I think it just came down to was the finale had a lot of people in it and at a certain point, you tip the scale and you're not servicing the people that are on screen. But there were a lot of beloved characters that we wanted to see again that we didn't get quite to bring back." Added Peterson, "The VRA was supposed to be a vehicle to get as many people back as we could. But with the 200th episode and 'Booster' and the finale, our resources were maxed out."

Last week's "Prophecy" showed a glimpse of the Smallville version of the Legion of Doom, including characters like Captain Cold and Black Manta, but don't look for them in the finale. Explained Peterson, "We kind of saw this last run not as individual episodes, but kind of as a lead up. So we wanted to not try and pack everything into the finale. So that was kind of our cap off of villains, so we could have the villains in the finale be Darkseid and Lex and Lionel. That was to kind of show that villains will go on, heroes will go on, Kara will go on to her destiny… And kind of wrap up all of that to protect Clark and everything that was in the finale."

Peterson also noted that they were told definitively at the beginning of the season that Kristin Kreuk wouldn't be available to reprise her role as Lana Lang, but had she been, they would have incorporated her into "Homecoming," the 200th episode, with its high school reunion theme.

Facing Expectations

Superman has a history going back decades and decades, and Peterson noted, "The end of this show lines up with movies, a lot of comic books, a lot of other things. Unlike a lot of shows, we know where this story goes. So it kind of is a hand off to those other pieces of canon and those other pieces of mythology, rather than just an ending."

However, fans shouldn't look for everything to match up exactly with the comics, as Souders said, "Some things get reconciled and then some things, we worked with DC and DC said, 'This is Smallville, and there's a few things that don't quite get reconciled because it's its own mythology.'"

Peterson noted that with the comic books, there have been many incarnations of the Superman story. "There have been different artists, different writers. There have been many Crisis! So it's hard to pinpoint exactly one thing that you're supposed to line up to, so I think we're just one more of those different variations. But I think we have all been very reverent to the source material, even though we've taken slight liberties, we haven't gone way off the path."

Peterson and Souders are aware that after ten years, the passionate Smallville fandom has a lot of expectations for the finale, but Peterson said, "I think the finale hits 80-90% of what everybody's going to want. More than almost any episode we've done I think." As to how much all the expectations of others influenced them, Souders pointed between herself and Peterson, saying, "The pressure is just here. There's nobody calling us going, 'You better do this!' It's that we just don't want it to suck!"

What to Look out For:

Peterson was coy on a couple of specific questions. Asked if we might see any flash forwards, he replied, "That will be answered in the first five minutes of the show." And might we hear the John Williams Superman theme? Peterson laughed and said, "That will be answered in the last five minutes!"

Regarding their personal favorite moments from the finale, Souders said, "When Lois is about to walk down the aisle… I'll say I have a couple of great, favorite moments just on the aisle." Peterson meanwhile kept even more secretive, saying, "There's a very good scene with a door that is probably one of my favorite scenes in the show."

He also added, "There's one shot that… It's like the 'Smallville shot.' You'll see it and you're like, 'This is what we needed in the finale.' And you'll know it the second that you see it."

Smallville: "Finale" airs Friday, May 13th at 8:00pm ET/PT on The CW.

http://www.kryptonsite.com/finale-ke...-returning.htm

Smallville's Executive Producers Talk About Returning Favorites In The Series Finale!

Interview by Craig Byrne

The final episode of Smallville airs on Friday, and this morning, The CW hosted a press Q&A with Executive Producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson.

Before the Q&A, they showed some clips from the finale, including Michael Rosenbaum's return to the series, which looks absolutely fantastic.

You'll surely read a lot more from this Q&A on KryptonSite and other media outlets in the coming days leading into May 13. For today, though, we've decided to focus on some of the returning favorites who are coming back for the last show - a list which includes Michael Rsoenbaum as Lex, Annette O'Toole as Martha, Allison Mack as Chloe, John Schneider as Jonathan (maybe?), and John Glover as Lionel Luthor.

Beware of spoilers within.

"We really wanted to keep this Clark's finale," Peterson prefaces, though he adds that Lex plays a "very interesting role." "There are a couple of big twists with Lex," Brian reveals, adding that there are more surprises beyond a clip that we were shown that implies that Lex wants to help Clark to defeat Darkseid.

Why would Smallville's Big Bad be doing something that appears to be good? "When we were thinking about Rosenbaum coming back and what our Smallville Lex's purpose was, it was always not quite what you expected, and much more human and emotional," Kelly Souders says. "We really went back to the pilot and we thought 'there's that guy who showed up and was totally personable, and super sympathetic, and just wanted to thank a guy for saving his life.' They're going to go on to be huge enemies, so what is it that's pivotal at this moment that's our Lex Luthor and our Clark Kent, and how do we wrap up the relationship that has been so complicated and so mixed with emotions for ten years?" she teases.

Another big return in the finale is John Schneider, looking very much alive as Jonathan Kent in some of the episodic promo stills. What kind of a role will he play in the finale? "I think it will become really clear, what role Jonathan plays and why he shows up the way he does in this episode. Every time I see certain moments with Jonathan, I definitely get a tear in my eye," Kelly says.

"We very purposely platformed his role in the finale with what we did in the premiere this year, with that final scene that Clark has with him in Lazarus. The whole point was to bookend the final season with Jonathan," Brian adds.

Also returning after what many thought would be her last episode in "Fortune" is Allison Mack as Chloe Sullivan. Brian Peterson is aware that many of the show's longtime fans want to know where her character will end up. "There are a lot of different ways people want Chloe to end, and so we service her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she is becoming," Brian says, adding that "she has a big moment with Clark where we get to see her shine."

Kelly Souders adds that the episode will also explain how Chloe interacts with the overall mythology. "Chloe fans should definitely stay tuned through the whole show," she teases.

"There's a certain thing that we give her that nobody got," Brian adds.

One person who will not be present for the final episode is Kristin Kreuk as Lana. "I think her role would have been much better in the 200th [episode], because it was about reunions and it was about high school and all of that," Brian explains. "Once that passed and we realized we weren't going to get her for that because she wasn't available, we didn't follow a Kristin thread."

Smallville's 10-year journey comes to an end May 13 on The CW. See a gallery of images from the episode! Come back later this week for more Finale goodness!

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watc...es_finale.html

Smallville Bosses Spill Series Finale Secrets!

by Jenna Mullins

If we don't write about the final episode of Smallville, does that mean it's not really happening? No? Damn.

Unfortunately, TV doesn't quite work that way. But on the plus side, ending a fan-favorite show like Smallville after 10 seasons means that the two-hour send-off is going to be epic. Just how epic? Executive producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson talked to the press today about what's coming up for Smallville's exciting conclusion, and we know this scoop will only get fans more excited for Friday...

Favorite Moments from the Finale
    Kelly Souders: When Lois (Erica Durance) is about to walk down the aisle...I'll just say I have a couple great favorite moments just on the aisle.
    Brian Peterson: And there's a very good scene with a door. It's probably one of everybody's favorite scene in the show. There's one shot that is just like the Smallville shot. You'll see it, and you're like, "This is what we needed in the finale." And you'll know it the second you see it.

Lex Luthor's Return
    B.P.: We really wanted to keep this Clark's (Tom Welling) finale. But Lex (Michael Rosenbaum) plays a very interesting role, and there a couple of big twists with Lex.
    K.S.: They're going to go on to be huge enemies, so [we'll answer] "What's pivotal in this moment that's our Lex Luthor and our Clark Kent?" And how do we wrap up the relationship that's been so complicated and so mixed with emotions for 10 years?

Jack Rowand/The CW Chloe's Storyline
    B.P.: I think there are a lot of different ways people want Chloe (Allison Mack) to end, and so we, I think, serviced her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she's becoming. And she has one big moment with Clark where we get to see her shine.
    K.S.: And I will say that Chloe fans should definitely stay tuned through the entire show. There's a jewel.
    B.P.: Yes, there's a certain thing that we did for her that nobody [else] got.

Oliver's Storyline
    B.P.: He has a big heroic moment, he has a big arc, he has some complications. Hopefully people feel satisfied with the little conclusion in the finale.
    K.S.: You really see what an impact that these heroes coming together has made on him and having Clark as a friend. It's very clear in this episode...it defines that relationship and what it means to both of them. And there's a really great moment and you really see their friendship and that bond, and that's what's going to get them through a lot of hard times in the future.

Flashforwards?
    B.P.: That will be answered in the first five minutes of the show.

The John Williams Score?
    B.P.: That will be answered in the last five minutes [of the finale].

Jack Rowand/The CW What to Put Into the Finale?
    B.P.: We know we'll never hit everything. It's impossible. I think the finale hit 80 to 90 percent of what everybody is going to want. More than almost any other episode we've done, I think.

The Final Moments
    K.S.: I still get really choked up, just because it feels like there is such a history. You're ending a whole period of your life that you know you will never ever get to go back to that just had highs and lows, but was just so spectacular in every way. It just won't ever be duplicated in that same way, so it's pretty emotional.
    B.P.: We also didn't just want to do an ending; we wanted to do a beginning a little bit. And so I think what we were aiming for was giving people the emotion of knowing what's to come because the end of this show lines up with every movie, a lot of comic books, a lot of other things. Unlike a lot shows, we know where this story goes. And so it's kind of a handoff to those other pieces of canon and those other pieces of mythology, rather than just an ending.

Smallville fans, we were lucky enough to see some footage from the finale, and we are so happy to report that we hit every emotion on the TV-watching scale: chills, tears, smiles, gasping, laughing, goosebumps and more tears. And that was all from only three minutes of footage!

How are you all celebrating/mourning the ending of Smallville? Let's all head down to the comments to speculate...one last time.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/smallv...-finale-scoop/

May 10, 2011

'Jampacked' Smallville Finale Scoop: A 'Jewel' Of a Sendoff! Big Returns! Flash Forwards?!

With just a few days remaining between now and Smallville‘s two-hour series finale (Friday at 8/7c), the showrunners behind The CW’s superhero epic took some time on Tuesday to talk to reporters about what to expect when all is said and done. Which moments will “wow” when Clark and Lois walk down the aisle? What’s really behind Lex’s return? Will Chloe get the sendoff she deserves? And what deleted scenes might make it onto DVD? Here are the slightly-spoilerly teases Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders were willing to part with.
    QUESTION | Having just seen a snippet from the finale, it’s safe to say it was huge undertaking with tons of story to tell. How would you describe it?
    Souders: It’s two hours, jampacked. You don’t feel like you’re just waiting for the last two minutes of the episode.

QUESTION | Besides the more recognizable ones, were there any small standout moments in the finale?
    Souders: There are a couple of moments in the church, particularly when Lois is about to walk down the aisle. Actually, I’m just going to say I have a couple of favorite moments on the actual aisle.
    Peterson: And there’s a very good scene with a door that is probably one of everybody’s favorite scenes in the show. There’s one shot, and that is the Smallville shot — you’ll see it and you’ll know it immediately. We needed it in the finale.

QUESTION | Can you talk a little about the emotional impact of the finale. What do you expect fans to come away with?
    Peterson: We didn’t want to just do an ending, we wanted to do a beginning. What we were aiming for was giving people the emotion of what’s to come since the end of this show lines up with every movie and a lot of other things. Unlike other shows, we know where the story goes, so it’s a hand-off to those other pieces of mythology, rather than just an ending.

QUESTION | Will there be any glimpses into the future in the finale?
    Peterson: That will be answered in the first five minutes of the show.

QUESTION | Will we hear the John Williams “Superman” score?
    Peterson: That will be answered in the last five minutes of the show.

QUESTION | After previewing a few of Lex’s finale scenes, he appears to be a changed man.
    Peterson: Lex plays a very interesting role, and there are big twists with him that will surprise you.
    Souders: Obviously, because Michael Rosenbaum hasn’t been on the show for the past couple of years, we needed to tie up a lot in this one episode. So for us, Lex’s purpose [in the finale] was much more human and emotional than any of us would have expected. We went back to the pilot to look at that guy who was totally personable and sympathetic, and just wanted to thank someone for saving his life.

QUESTION | How did your plans for the Lex storyline change once you knew Rosenbaum would return?
    Souders: In some ways it was pretty similar. He just would have been a puppeteer behind the scenes.
    Peterson: It would have been a reveal at the end of the show, rather than seeing a good scene with him and Clark.

QUESTION | Talk a little about Jonathan Kent’s return.
    Souders: It will become really clear what role Jonathan plays and why he shows up the way he does in this episode. Every time I see certain moments with Jonathan, I get a tear in my eye.
    Peterson: We purposely platformed Jonathan’s role in the finale with what we did in “Lazarus,” the premiere of this season. The whole point was to bookend the season, and he’s introduced in that same type of way.

QUESTION | What can you tease about Chloe’s Smallville sendoff?
    Peterson: There are a lot of different ways people want Chloe’s story to end, so we service her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she’s becoming. And she has one big moment with Clark where we get to see her shine.
    Souders: Also, how she interacts with the mythology. And I will say that Chloe fans should definitely stay tuned through the whole show. There’s a jewel.
    Peterson: There’s a certain thing we gave her that nobody else got.

QUESTION | What does Oliver’s final journey consist of?
    Peterson: He has a big heroic moment, a big arc, and some complications.
    Souders: The finale defines Clark and Oliver’s relationship, and what it means to both of them. There’s a really great moment where you see their friendship and that bond, and that’s what’s going to keep them going in the future.

QUESTION | So much has been said and written about the finale…. Is there any particular reveal that you’re surprised hasn’t leaked out yet? And if so, any hints?
    Souders: I’m kind of surprised everything hasn’t leaked!
    Peterson: There’s one shot that leaked, in the Fortress, that I wasn’t surprised about because it’s a great shot. But we didn’t like that it leaked.
    Souders: There’s a lot of moments throughout that we wanted to be sure people were watching for the first time. You know, once you see something, you start speculating, and when you get to that moment, it may not be anything like what was represented in that shot. It’s the last two hours, and we just want people to enjoy it.

QUESTION | Did any time or money constraints hold you back from including certain things in the finale?
    Souders: We would have liked to see the Justice League more. But what it came down to was that the finale had a lot of people in it, and at a certain point, you tip the scale and are no longer servicing the people who are onscreen. There were a lot of beloved characters we would have loved to see again, but weren’t able to bring back. In general, we were pretty happy with everything we were able to do.
    Peterson: That said, I think the finale hits 80 to 90 percent of what everyone will want, more so than any other episode we’ve done.

QUESTION | Are there things you would have liked to include in the finale, or had to cut short, that may be a part of the Season 10 or complete series DVDs?
    Souders: This [complete series] DVD set is insane! I think it’s the biggest one Warner Bros. has ever put out.
    Peterson: We’ve seen the whole series and it’s really cool looking. They’ve gone back and interviewed people who were on the first season with us. We thought at one point that we would be short on footage for the finale, so we wrote a couple of scenes with some of the Darkseid mythology, which ended up not making it into the finale. So, those might end up on the DVD somewhere.

QUESTION | Is there any talk of a Smallville spinoff floating about?
    Souders: We haven’t talked about it, to be honest. We’ve had our head pretty buried in the show. But obviously it’s a bunch of beloved characters or they wouldn’t been around for a decade.

QUESTION | What do you hope people take away from Smallville?
    Souders: I think it’s the theme that emerged this year: Believe in heroes. That’s become incredibly important to us.

http://www.examiner.com/tv-insider-i...new-beginnings

'Smallville' will end with the promise of lots of new beginnings

May 10th, 2011

By Danielle Turchiano

You've already seen the promotional photos. You've already seen the trailer. How much more teasing from Smallville's series finale could you possibly need!?

Okay, we're just kidding. We know that as diehard fans, many of whom who have been with the show since before the pilot ever even aired, you want to gobble up as much information as possible. And we can't blame you. But before we offer you this series finale preview, we want to preface it by saying that sometimes the moment you see in a clip or a photo is not what it appears to be. You see just a single image, and as a fan with theories and hopes ruminating in your own mind, you begin to apply context-- what you think it means, what you hope it means, maybe even what you fear it means. And then when you see the actual result, well, it might not live up to your expectations.

We warn you to consider that before reading any further. But even with that warning, we must admit: we have a feeling just about every fan of Smallville is going to be left thinking the ending was as strong and solid as Superman himself. After all, it's not really an ending anyway; it's just the beginning of his heroic saga.

Earlier today Warner Brothers and The CW invited members of the entertainment media out to Burbank CA to screen a specially cut promotional trailer for the two-hour series finale which will air on Friday, May 13th.

"This was a huge endeavor, and there were a lot of challenges, so in a way a huge weight has been lifted," series executive producer Brian Peterson laughed, kicking off the mini press conference.

Peterson and his showrunner partner Kelly Souders obviously have their own favorite moments from the episode, which very few in the room could discuss without getting a little misty-eyed, but they were reluctant to give away too much and ruin the beauty of just seeing it play out.

"There's a couple of moments in the church-- there's one when Lois is about to walk down the aisle. The aisle is quite-- I'll just say the aisle. I have a couple of great, favorite moments there."

"And then there's a very good scene with a door!" Peterson piped up, laughing again. "There's one shot; it's like "the [quintessential] Smallville shot". You'll see it, and you'll know it the second you see it."

Though many of the interpersonal moments between characters are being hidden until the episode airs (and the final cut is still being mixed as we print this anyway), there are a few things we can report that we know you will enjoy:

First and foremost, regardless of who has come and gone over the years, the finale is truly Clark (Tom Welling)'s story. That means that yes, we will see him fly (or at least hover, as the case may be), and of course we will see the iconic Superman suit. Look for the latter to have a pivotal moment that seems to come in the last five minutes of the finale, along with some very emotional John Williams score (could we expect anything less!?).

"It is jam-packed!" Souders promised. "I think there was a lot of prep that went in with the mindset that it was challenging. It was challenging when the first script went out, and people kept adding more to the table. Our crew, our cast, they're just tireless about wanting to make something the greatest it can be."

And this meant that, yes, a whole bunch was left on the cutting room floor, including a couple of Darkseid mythology scenes that in the end couldn't make the episode because it was straying too much from Clark's journey and Clark's story. But perhaps they'll find a home on the DVD...

But more than that, Clark is at a point in his life that many, even those who are not superheroes, can relate to. He was a boy turned man who is now about to become Superman, and this means he is looking around at his life and relationships and trying to see exactly where and how he fits.

"I think that final step of trying to figure out, as an adult, like, are you friends with your parents or are your parents still your parents-- he's really trying to figure out his relationships as he finally takes his steps to complete his manhood or his Superman-hood. It's a complication in his life," Souders said.

Enter one major complication: a long-beloved Smallville villain!

Though the production only had Michael Rosenbaum for one day, they made that day count! Lex' return is soon-to-be iconic for its how, but also of course, its why. He may have once declared that he was the "villian of this story," but things have become so much bigger than him in his time away. For once he and Clark kind of, sort of find themselves on the same side-- at least when up against the impending Darkseid apocalypse.

"What is his purpose was always not quite what you expected and always sort of more human and emotional than any of us starting out on the Smallville series would have expected, and we really went back in the pilot and thought 'Here's that guy who showed up and was really personable and super sympathetic and just wanted to thank a guy for saving his life' and so when we looked at having him back in the finale, it was the same thing. They're going to go on to be huge enemies, but what is it that is pivotal Lex Luthor and Clark Kent and how can we wrap up the relationship that's so complicated and mixed with emotions for ten years?" Souders previewed.

But of course it can't end with a hug and a handshake!

"There are a couple of big twists with Lex," Peterson promised.

Chloe (Allison Mack) is back for the wedding, but more than that she has a hand in helping Lois (Erica Durance) see the error of her ways canceling the wedding in the first place. With a classic Chloe quip, an earnest smile, and a genuine interest in seeing her friends end up happy, she ultimately succeeds in getting her pals to the aisle and then stands up for them in the church.

"I think there a lot of different ways people want Chloe to end," Peterson pointed out, "but I think we service her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she is becoming. And she has one kind of big moment with Clark where we get to see her and how she interacts with the overall mythology."

But Souders also said that Chloe fans are in for a larger treat because she will have a "jewel" in the finale (stay tuned through the whole show!) that no one else does. Cryptic, yes, of course, but seeing as how things aren't looking so good for Oliver (Justin Hartley), who has been marked, it's still nice to see quite a few of these characters have happy moments, isn't it?

The first five minutes of the episode will flash into the future to show off what happiness may look like for the good people of Smallville. Well, a few of them anyway.

Smallville will air its "relationship defining" series finale on Friday, May 13th at 8pm only on The CW.

Want a piece of Smallville? LA TV Insider Examiner is giving away a final season poster. All you have to do to enter to win is leave a comment on this article regarding what you're most excited for in the finale and/or ReTweet this article link to all of your Twitter pals!

http://www.daemonstv.com/2011/05/10/...-speculations/

SMALLVILLE Series Finale Spoilers and Speculations

This morning I took a trip down the CW to not only take a sneak peek at the series (snif) finale of SMALLVILLE, but also talk to executive producers Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders about the highly anticipated finale.

The sneak peek was a special finale promo prepared especially for the press attending (sorry it’s not something that you will get to see), but that said I can do the next best thing, talk about what I saw.

I was given the green light to share with you some of what was shown in the promo, so here are some spoilers and speculations on the Smallville series finale based on the screening. Needless to say, if you want everything to be a surprised, stop reading now!

[Update: The CW has asked us to cut down a few things, sorry if you missed some of it, I guess you'll have to see it all in the finale!]

- The Darkseid apocalypse is not coming, it’s already here!

- Lois and Clark fans, don’t worry, he will not let Lois go that easily. In fact, I can tell you that we will be seeing Lois in a wedding dress. However, it looks like some disturbance might cut the wedding short.

- Chloe is back and we will get some sort of closure for her character.

- Peterson and Souders mentioned that there would be some explanation as to the presence of Jonathan Kent, which I’m sure a lot of you are excited about. I for sure would like to find out what his presence means.

- Of course, after all the previews shown, we know that Lex returns in the finale, but there are going to be some “big twists.”

- Is that Clark flying?!!! Ok maybe not, but I’m pretty sure it was him floating, which leads me to say… he will fly, but that’s just my own speculation/hope.

- There is a hint that the Superman costume will be involved in the finale, but that could be the power of editing. My take? They have to put Clark in the costume, they have to.

I have chills!!

And that’s only part of it. Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders also had tons more to say, but that will be put up closer to the finale. I do hope that I have given you enough to chew on.

And so don’t forget to tune in this Friday, May 13, at 8pm for the epic 2-hour series finale of Smallville on The CW.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BAF View Post
    I'm putting this all under spoilers because this reveals a lot from the finale.

Spoiler:
    http://tv.ign.com/articles/116/1167267p1.html

Smallville Finale Mega-Preview

We check out footage from the final episode and get a ton of info on what to expect from Lex Luthor's return and more.

May 10, 2011

In just three days, Smallville comes to an end, after an incredibly impressive ten-season run. Today, I was among a group of press who went to The CW offices to get a special sneak preview of the finale and get some info from executive producers/showrunners Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders about what to expect in the two-hour conclusion.

Keep in mind, we were not shown the entire finale, just a quick montage of scenes, lasting a few minutes, which didn't include anything from the end of the episode. But obviously, if you want to go in completely blind, you'll want to look away now, because there are going to be some spoilers ahead – though producer-approved ones!

The clips included:

•Tess speaking to Granny Goodness, telling her she'd never join her. Granny then brings up the coming of Apokolips, saying, "It's not coming, Lutessa. It's upon us.'

•Martha telling Clark that when she sent him the deed for the farm, she didn't mean for him to sell it. Clark argues with Martha, telling her they need to put aside their past. We see Clark looking at a photo of Martha and Jonathan and Jonathan's face appears in the reflection in the glass… and as Clark walks away from Martha, we see (but Clark and Martha don't) Jonathan standing there, looking concerned.

•Lois telling Clark, "Some things you just can't fix," and Clark telling her if she really intends to call off the wedding, "You're going to have to leave me at the altar."

•At the Daily Planet, Chloe trying to convince Lois to go through with the wedding. When Lois brings up all the people Clark needs to help, Chloe tells Lois, "He can't listen all the time, Lois. He's not God." She says that when Clark finally takes flight, he'll need Lois "to ground him."

•In a busy room at the Planet, Lois asking Clark, "How many are marked?" Clark uses his X-Ray vision and sees almost the entire room has the omega symbol on their head and tells Lois, "More than you want to know."

•Lionel telling Tess, "When the day is done, the Luthor name will be resurrected," and that Lex has survived via a clone, made up of the best parts of himself. There was also another thing Lionel revealed here about Lex that is the one thing we saw in the footage we were asked not to talk about… (Sorry, guys!)

•Lex Luthor confronting Clark in the burnt out Luthor mansion, telling him, "I can't say I love what you've done to the place." Lex tells Clark, "Out story hasn't been written yet, Kal-El," adding, "Every villain is only as great as his hero." Lex then reveals he knows about Darkseid and Apokolips and that Clark is needed to stop it – insinuating he wants Clark to save the day for all of Earth, before the two of them can commence their own battle. He tells Clark the Veritas journals spoke of a "chosen savior." When Clark says he alone can't stop Darkseid, Lex replies, "We both know who can."

•While driving, Tess's car is run off the road and she is surrounded by men with guns. We also see her in a lab, showing her formidable fighting skills as she fights a man, pinning him down with her leg. We also see Tess walk into her office and her chair swivels around in front of her, revealing Lex sitting waiting for her.

•At what looks to be Lois and Clark's wedding, Oliver hits someone, sending them smashing through a window – it was a quick shot, but it may have been Clark. We also see what appears to be Oliver (in his full Green Arrow costume) and Granny Goodness facing off.

•There are a lot of appropriately apocalyptic shots for the aptly named Apokolips, as the entire planet approaches Earth – and the sky above the Daily Planet becomes red and hell-like, as a plane careens towards the ground.

•The clips ended with some very intriguing shots – including one of Clark floating (flying?) high above the ground, and another of Clark running up the stairs at the Daily Planet, unbuttoning his shirt. Lastly, we hear the voice of Jonathan saying, "Son, it's time," over a shot of the Superman costume inside the Fortress of Solitude. So what else was revealed during the subsequent Q&A with Peterson and Souders? Let's take it topic by topic…

Lex Luthor

I asked the showrunners just how down to the wire it came to signing Michael Rosenbaum to return for the finale and Souders joked, "It was over the wire. It was past the wire," with Peterson noting they had written a version of the finale without him in it - though they would have always revealed Lex was orchestrating certain events behind the scenes, even if we never got to see him again on screen. Peterson also revealed, "There were a couple of things we had planned on planting in the season that we didn't, because we didn't know that we were going to have him."

As for what fans should expect now that Lex is firmly back in the finale, Peterson noted, "We only had Michael [Rosenbaum] for one day, so there was only so much we could do with him in the story. We really wanted to keep this Clark's finale. But Lex plays a very interesting role and there are a couple of big twists with Lex that we didn't show you."

Added Souders, "When we were thinking about Rosenbaum coming back and Lex, our Lex, what his purpose was, it was always kind of not quite what you expected and much more human and emotional than I think any of us starting out Smallville would have expected. We really went back to the pilot and thought, 'There's that guy who showed up and was totally personable and super sympathetic and just wanted to thank a guy for saving his life.' So when we looked at having him back for the finale, it was the same thing, which is they're going to go on to be huge enemies, so what is it that's pivotal in this moment that's our Lex Luthor and our Clark Kent and how do we wrap up their relationship, that has been so complicated and mixed with emotions for ten years?"

Jonathan Kent

Jonathan's presence is obviously pretty confusing at face value. Said Souders, "I think it'll become really clear what role Jonathan plays and why he shows up the way he does in this episode. Every time I see certain moments with Jonathan, I definitely get a tear in my eye after all these weeks of watching the footage." Peterson recalled how Clark spoke to Jonathan at the end of the Season 10 premiere and explained, "The whole point was to bookend the final season with Jonathan. So he's introduced [in the finale] in that same kind of way."

Chloe Sullivan

Peterson noted, "There are a lot of different ways people want Chloe to end, so I think we service her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she's becoming." Peterson promised a big moment for Chloe and Clark in the finale, which Souders said shows, "how she interacts with the overall mythology. And I'll say that Chloe fans should just definitely stay tuned through the whole show. There's a jewel." Said Peterson, with a smile, "There's a certain thing that we gave her that nobody [else] got."

Green Arrow

When it came to Oliver's role in the finale, Peterson remarked, "We wanted to service him, but this show is about Clark and Chloe and Martha. It started as one thing and we kind of wanted to end it [with that]." That being said, Peterson noted, "He has a big, heroic moment. He has a big arc. He has some complications, clearly."

Said Souders, "You really see what an impact that these heroes coming together has made on him and that having Clark as a friend. It's very clear in this episode… it defines that relationship and what it means to both of them. And I think there's a really great moment where you just see their friendship and that bond and that's what's going to get them through a lot of hard times in the future." Peterson also said that because Oliver wouldn't have as much time or focus in the finale, they purposely gave him a large role in "Dominion" and "Prophecy." What You Won't See

Discussing elements they didn't get to include, Souders revealed, "We probably would have liked to have seen the JLA a little more this season. John Jones was somebody we really wanted to bring back and I think it just came down to was the finale had a lot of people in it and at a certain point, you tip the scale and you're not servicing the people that are on screen. But there were a lot of beloved characters that we wanted to see again that we didn't get quite to bring back." Added Peterson, "The VRA was supposed to be a vehicle to get as many people back as we could. But with the 200th episode and 'Booster' and the finale, our resources were maxed out."

Last week's "Prophecy" showed a glimpse of the Smallville version of the Legion of Doom, including characters like Captain Cold and Black Manta, but don't look for them in the finale. Explained Peterson, "We kind of saw this last run not as individual episodes, but kind of as a lead up. So we wanted to not try and pack everything into the finale. So that was kind of our cap off of villains, so we could have the villains in the finale be Darkseid and Lex and Lionel. That was to kind of show that villains will go on, heroes will go on, Kara will go on to her destiny… And kind of wrap up all of that to protect Clark and everything that was in the finale."

Peterson also noted that they were told definitively at the beginning of the season that Kristin Kreuk wouldn't be available to reprise her role as Lana Lang, but had she been, they would have incorporated her into "Homecoming," the 200th episode, with its high school reunion theme.

Facing Expectations

Superman has a history going back decades and decades, and Peterson noted, "The end of this show lines up with movies, a lot of comic books, a lot of other things. Unlike a lot of shows, we know where this story goes. So it kind of is a hand off to those other pieces of canon and those other pieces of mythology, rather than just an ending."

However, fans shouldn't look for everything to match up exactly with the comics, as Souders said, "Some things get reconciled and then some things, we worked with DC and DC said, 'This is Smallville, and there's a few things that don't quite get reconciled because it's its own mythology.'"

Peterson noted that with the comic books, there have been many incarnations of the Superman story. "There have been different artists, different writers. There have been many Crisis! So it's hard to pinpoint exactly one thing that you're supposed to line up to, so I think we're just one more of those different variations. But I think we have all been very reverent to the source material, even though we've taken slight liberties, we haven't gone way off the path."

Peterson and Souders are aware that after ten years, the passionate Smallville fandom has a lot of expectations for the finale, but Peterson said, "I think the finale hits 80-90% of what everybody's going to want. More than almost any episode we've done I think." As to how much all the expectations of others influenced them, Souders pointed between herself and Peterson, saying, "The pressure is just here. There's nobody calling us going, 'You better do this!' It's that we just don't want it to suck!"

What to Look out For:

Peterson was coy on a couple of specific questions. Asked if we might see any flash forwards, he replied, "That will be answered in the first five minutes of the show." And might we hear the John Williams Superman theme? Peterson laughed and said, "That will be answered in the last five minutes!"

Regarding their personal favorite moments from the finale, Souders said, "When Lois is about to walk down the aisle… I'll say I have a couple of great, favorite moments just on the aisle." Peterson meanwhile kept even more secretive, saying, "There's a very good scene with a door that is probably one of my favorite scenes in the show."

He also added, "There's one shot that… It's like the 'Smallville shot.' You'll see it and you're like, 'This is what we needed in the finale.' And you'll know it the second that you see it."

Smallville: "Finale" airs Friday, May 13th at 8:00pm ET/PT on The CW.

http://www.kryptonsite.com/finale-ke...-returning.htm

Smallville's Executive Producers Talk About Returning Favorites In The Series Finale!

Interview by Craig Byrne

The final episode of Smallville airs on Friday, and this morning, The CW hosted a press Q&A with Executive Producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson.

Before the Q&A, they showed some clips from the finale, including Michael Rosenbaum's return to the series, which looks absolutely fantastic.

You'll surely read a lot more from this Q&A on KryptonSite and other media outlets in the coming days leading into May 13. For today, though, we've decided to focus on some of the returning favorites who are coming back for the last show - a list which includes Michael Rsoenbaum as Lex, Annette O'Toole as Martha, Allison Mack as Chloe, John Schneider as Jonathan (maybe?), and John Glover as Lionel Luthor.

Beware of spoilers within.

"We really wanted to keep this Clark's finale," Peterson prefaces, though he adds that Lex plays a "very interesting role." "There are a couple of big twists with Lex," Brian reveals, adding that there are more surprises beyond a clip that we were shown that implies that Lex wants to help Clark to defeat Darkseid.

Why would Smallville's Big Bad be doing something that appears to be good? "When we were thinking about Rosenbaum coming back and what our Smallville Lex's purpose was, it was always not quite what you expected, and much more human and emotional," Kelly Souders says. "We really went back to the pilot and we thought 'there's that guy who showed up and was totally personable, and super sympathetic, and just wanted to thank a guy for saving his life.' They're going to go on to be huge enemies, so what is it that's pivotal at this moment that's our Lex Luthor and our Clark Kent, and how do we wrap up the relationship that has been so complicated and so mixed with emotions for ten years?" she teases.

Another big return in the finale is John Schneider, looking very much alive as Jonathan Kent in some of the episodic promo stills. What kind of a role will he play in the finale? "I think it will become really clear, what role Jonathan plays and why he shows up the way he does in this episode. Every time I see certain moments with Jonathan, I definitely get a tear in my eye," Kelly says.

"We very purposely platformed his role in the finale with what we did in the premiere this year, with that final scene that Clark has with him in Lazarus. The whole point was to bookend the final season with Jonathan," Brian adds.

Also returning after what many thought would be her last episode in "Fortune" is Allison Mack as Chloe Sullivan. Brian Peterson is aware that many of the show's longtime fans want to know where her character will end up. "There are a lot of different ways people want Chloe to end, and so we service her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she is becoming," Brian says, adding that "she has a big moment with Clark where we get to see her shine."

Kelly Souders adds that the episode will also explain how Chloe interacts with the overall mythology. "Chloe fans should definitely stay tuned through the whole show," she teases.

"There's a certain thing that we give her that nobody got," Brian adds.

One person who will not be present for the final episode is Kristin Kreuk as Lana. "I think her role would have been much better in the 200th [episode], because it was about reunions and it was about high school and all of that," Brian explains. "Once that passed and we realized we weren't going to get her for that because she wasn't available, we didn't follow a Kristin thread."

Smallville's 10-year journey comes to an end May 13 on The CW. See a gallery of images from the episode! Come back later this week for more Finale goodness!

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watc...es_finale.html

Smallville Bosses Spill Series Finale Secrets!

by Jenna Mullins

If we don't write about the final episode of Smallville, does that mean it's not really happening? No? Damn.

Unfortunately, TV doesn't quite work that way. But on the plus side, ending a fan-favorite show like Smallville after 10 seasons means that the two-hour send-off is going to be epic. Just how epic? Executive producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson talked to the press today about what's coming up for Smallville's exciting conclusion, and we know this scoop will only get fans more excited for Friday...

Favorite Moments from the Finale
    Kelly Souders: When Lois (Erica Durance) is about to walk down the aisle...I'll just say I have a couple great favorite moments just on the aisle.
    Brian Peterson: And there's a very good scene with a door. It's probably one of everybody's favorite scene in the show. There's one shot that is just like the Smallville shot. You'll see it, and you're like, "This is what we needed in the finale." And you'll know it the second you see it.

Lex Luthor's Return
    B.P.: We really wanted to keep this Clark's (Tom Welling) finale. But Lex (Michael Rosenbaum) plays a very interesting role, and there a couple of big twists with Lex.
    K.S.: They're going to go on to be huge enemies, so [we'll answer] "What's pivotal in this moment that's our Lex Luthor and our Clark Kent?" And how do we wrap up the relationship that's been so complicated and so mixed with emotions for 10 years?

Jack Rowand/The CW Chloe's Storyline
    B.P.: I think there are a lot of different ways people want Chloe (Allison Mack) to end, and so we, I think, serviced her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she's becoming. And she has one big moment with Clark where we get to see her shine.
    K.S.: And I will say that Chloe fans should definitely stay tuned through the entire show. There's a jewel.
    B.P.: Yes, there's a certain thing that we did for her that nobody [else] got.

Oliver's Storyline
    B.P.: He has a big heroic moment, he has a big arc, he has some complications. Hopefully people feel satisfied with the little conclusion in the finale.
    K.S.: You really see what an impact that these heroes coming together has made on him and having Clark as a friend. It's very clear in this episode...it defines that relationship and what it means to both of them. And there's a really great moment and you really see their friendship and that bond, and that's what's going to get them through a lot of hard times in the future.

Flashforwards?
    B.P.: That will be answered in the first five minutes of the show.

The John Williams Score?
    B.P.: That will be answered in the last five minutes [of the finale].

Jack Rowand/The CW What to Put Into the Finale?
    B.P.: We know we'll never hit everything. It's impossible. I think the finale hit 80 to 90 percent of what everybody is going to want. More than almost any other episode we've done, I think.

The Final Moments
    K.S.: I still get really choked up, just because it feels like there is such a history. You're ending a whole period of your life that you know you will never ever get to go back to that just had highs and lows, but was just so spectacular in every way. It just won't ever be duplicated in that same way, so it's pretty emotional.
    B.P.: We also didn't just want to do an ending; we wanted to do a beginning a little bit. And so I think what we were aiming for was giving people the emotion of knowing what's to come because the end of this show lines up with every movie, a lot of comic books, a lot of other things. Unlike a lot shows, we know where this story goes. And so it's kind of a handoff to those other pieces of canon and those other pieces of mythology, rather than just an ending.

Smallville fans, we were lucky enough to see some footage from the finale, and we are so happy to report that we hit every emotion on the TV-watching scale: chills, tears, smiles, gasping, laughing, goosebumps and more tears. And that was all from only three minutes of footage!

How are you all celebrating/mourning the ending of Smallville? Let's all head down to the comments to speculate...one last time.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/smallv...-finale-scoop/

May 10, 2011

'Jampacked' Smallville Finale Scoop: A 'Jewel' Of a Sendoff! Big Returns! Flash Forwards?!

With just a few days remaining between now and Smallville‘s two-hour series finale (Friday at 8/7c), the showrunners behind The CW’s superhero epic took some time on Tuesday to talk to reporters about what to expect when all is said and done. Which moments will “wow” when Clark and Lois walk down the aisle? What’s really behind Lex’s return? Will Chloe get the sendoff she deserves? And what deleted scenes might make it onto DVD? Here are the slightly-spoilerly teases Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders were willing to part with.
    QUESTION | Having just seen a snippet from the finale, it’s safe to say it was huge undertaking with tons of story to tell. How would you describe it?
    Souders: It’s two hours, jampacked. You don’t feel like you’re just waiting for the last two minutes of the episode.

QUESTION | Besides the more recognizable ones, were there any small standout moments in the finale?
    Souders: There are a couple of moments in the church, particularly when Lois is about to walk down the aisle. Actually, I’m just going to say I have a couple of favorite moments on the actual aisle.
    Peterson: And there’s a very good scene with a door that is probably one of everybody’s favorite scenes in the show. There’s one shot, and that is the Smallville shot — you’ll see it and you’ll know it immediately. We needed it in the finale.

QUESTION | Can you talk a little about the emotional impact of the finale. What do you expect fans to come away with?
    Peterson: We didn’t want to just do an ending, we wanted to do a beginning. What we were aiming for was giving people the emotion of what’s to come since the end of this show lines up with every movie and a lot of other things. Unlike other shows, we know where the story goes, so it’s a hand-off to those other pieces of mythology, rather than just an ending.

QUESTION | Will there be any glimpses into the future in the finale?
    Peterson: That will be answered in the first five minutes of the show.

QUESTION | Will we hear the John Williams “Superman” score?
    Peterson: That will be answered in the last five minutes of the show.

QUESTION | After previewing a few of Lex’s finale scenes, he appears to be a changed man.
    Peterson: Lex plays a very interesting role, and there are big twists with him that will surprise you.
    Souders: Obviously, because Michael Rosenbaum hasn’t been on the show for the past couple of years, we needed to tie up a lot in this one episode. So for us, Lex’s purpose [in the finale] was much more human and emotional than any of us would have expected. We went back to the pilot to look at that guy who was totally personable and sympathetic, and just wanted to thank someone for saving his life.

QUESTION | How did your plans for the Lex storyline change once you knew Rosenbaum would return?
    Souders: In some ways it was pretty similar. He just would have been a puppeteer behind the scenes.
    Peterson: It would have been a reveal at the end of the show, rather than seeing a good scene with him and Clark.

QUESTION | Talk a little about Jonathan Kent’s return.
    Souders: It will become really clear what role Jonathan plays and why he shows up the way he does in this episode. Every time I see certain moments with Jonathan, I get a tear in my eye.
    Peterson: We purposely platformed Jonathan’s role in the finale with what we did in “Lazarus,” the premiere of this season. The whole point was to bookend the season, and he’s introduced in that same type of way.

QUESTION | What can you tease about Chloe’s Smallville sendoff?
    Peterson: There are a lot of different ways people want Chloe’s story to end, so we service her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she’s becoming. And she has one big moment with Clark where we get to see her shine.
    Souders: Also, how she interacts with the mythology. And I will say that Chloe fans should definitely stay tuned through the whole show. There’s a jewel.
    Peterson: There’s a certain thing we gave her that nobody else got.

QUESTION | What does Oliver’s final journey consist of?
    Peterson: He has a big heroic moment, a big arc, and some complications.
    Souders: The finale defines Clark and Oliver’s relationship, and what it means to both of them. There’s a really great moment where you see their friendship and that bond, and that’s what’s going to keep them going in the future.

QUESTION | So much has been said and written about the finale…. Is there any particular reveal that you’re surprised hasn’t leaked out yet? And if so, any hints?
    Souders: I’m kind of surprised everything hasn’t leaked!
    Peterson: There’s one shot that leaked, in the Fortress, that I wasn’t surprised about because it’s a great shot. But we didn’t like that it leaked.
    Souders: There’s a lot of moments throughout that we wanted to be sure people were watching for the first time. You know, once you see something, you start speculating, and when you get to that moment, it may not be anything like what was represented in that shot. It’s the last two hours, and we just want people to enjoy it.

QUESTION | Did any time or money constraints hold you back from including certain things in the finale?
    Souders: We would have liked to see the Justice League more. But what it came down to was that the finale had a lot of people in it, and at a certain point, you tip the scale and are no longer servicing the people who are onscreen. There were a lot of beloved characters we would have loved to see again, but weren’t able to bring back. In general, we were pretty happy with everything we were able to do.
    Peterson: That said, I think the finale hits 80 to 90 percent of what everyone will want, more so than any other episode we’ve done.

QUESTION | Are there things you would have liked to include in the finale, or had to cut short, that may be a part of the Season 10 or complete series DVDs?
    Souders: This [complete series] DVD set is insane! I think it’s the biggest one Warner Bros. has ever put out.
    Peterson: We’ve seen the whole series and it’s really cool looking. They’ve gone back and interviewed people who were on the first season with us. We thought at one point that we would be short on footage for the finale, so we wrote a couple of scenes with some of the Darkseid mythology, which ended up not making it into the finale. So, those might end up on the DVD somewhere.

QUESTION | Is there any talk of a Smallville spinoff floating about?
    Souders: We haven’t talked about it, to be honest. We’ve had our head pretty buried in the show. But obviously it’s a bunch of beloved characters or they wouldn’t been around for a decade.

QUESTION | What do you hope people take away from Smallville?
    Souders: I think it’s the theme that emerged this year: Believe in heroes. That’s become incredibly important to us.

http://www.examiner.com/tv-insider-i...new-beginnings

'Smallville' will end with the promise of lots of new beginnings

May 10th, 2011

By Danielle Turchiano

You've already seen the promotional photos. You've already seen the trailer. How much more teasing from Smallville's series finale could you possibly need!?

Okay, we're just kidding. We know that as diehard fans, many of whom who have been with the show since before the pilot ever even aired, you want to gobble up as much information as possible. And we can't blame you. But before we offer you this series finale preview, we want to preface it by saying that sometimes the moment you see in a clip or a photo is not what it appears to be. You see just a single image, and as a fan with theories and hopes ruminating in your own mind, you begin to apply context-- what you think it means, what you hope it means, maybe even what you fear it means. And then when you see the actual result, well, it might not live up to your expectations.

We warn you to consider that before reading any further. But even with that warning, we must admit: we have a feeling just about every fan of Smallville is going to be left thinking the ending was as strong and solid as Superman himself. After all, it's not really an ending anyway; it's just the beginning of his heroic saga.

Earlier today Warner Brothers and The CW invited members of the entertainment media out to Burbank CA to screen a specially cut promotional trailer for the two-hour series finale which will air on Friday, May 13th.

"This was a huge endeavor, and there were a lot of challenges, so in a way a huge weight has been lifted," series executive producer Brian Peterson laughed, kicking off the mini press conference.

Peterson and his showrunner partner Kelly Souders obviously have their own favorite moments from the episode, which very few in the room could discuss without getting a little misty-eyed, but they were reluctant to give away too much and ruin the beauty of just seeing it play out.

"There's a couple of moments in the church-- there's one when Lois is about to walk down the aisle. The aisle is quite-- I'll just say the aisle. I have a couple of great, favorite moments there."

"And then there's a very good scene with a door!" Peterson piped up, laughing again. "There's one shot; it's like "the [quintessential] Smallville shot". You'll see it, and you'll know it the second you see it."

Though many of the interpersonal moments between characters are being hidden until the episode airs (and the final cut is still being mixed as we print this anyway), there are a few things we can report that we know you will enjoy:

First and foremost, regardless of who has come and gone over the years, the finale is truly Clark (Tom Welling)'s story. That means that yes, we will see him fly (or at least hover, as the case may be), and of course we will see the iconic Superman suit. Look for the latter to have a pivotal moment that seems to come in the last five minutes of the finale, along with some very emotional John Williams score (could we expect anything less!?).

"It is jam-packed!" Souders promised. "I think there was a lot of prep that went in with the mindset that it was challenging. It was challenging when the first script went out, and people kept adding more to the table. Our crew, our cast, they're just tireless about wanting to make something the greatest it can be."

And this meant that, yes, a whole bunch was left on the cutting room floor, including a couple of Darkseid mythology scenes that in the end couldn't make the episode because it was straying too much from Clark's journey and Clark's story. But perhaps they'll find a home on the DVD...

But more than that, Clark is at a point in his life that many, even those who are not superheroes, can relate to. He was a boy turned man who is now about to become Superman, and this means he is looking around at his life and relationships and trying to see exactly where and how he fits.

"I think that final step of trying to figure out, as an adult, like, are you friends with your parents or are your parents still your parents-- he's really trying to figure out his relationships as he finally takes his steps to complete his manhood or his Superman-hood. It's a complication in his life," Souders said.

Enter one major complication: a long-beloved Smallville villain!

Though the production only had Michael Rosenbaum for one day, they made that day count! Lex' return is soon-to-be iconic for its how, but also of course, its why. He may have once declared that he was the "villian of this story," but things have become so much bigger than him in his time away. For once he and Clark kind of, sort of find themselves on the same side-- at least when up against the impending Darkseid apocalypse.

"What is his purpose was always not quite what you expected and always sort of more human and emotional than any of us starting out on the Smallville series would have expected, and we really went back in the pilot and thought 'Here's that guy who showed up and was really personable and super sympathetic and just wanted to thank a guy for saving his life' and so when we looked at having him back in the finale, it was the same thing. They're going to go on to be huge enemies, but what is it that is pivotal Lex Luthor and Clark Kent and how can we wrap up the relationship that's so complicated and mixed with emotions for ten years?" Souders previewed.

But of course it can't end with a hug and a handshake!

"There are a couple of big twists with Lex," Peterson promised.

Chloe (Allison Mack) is back for the wedding, but more than that she has a hand in helping Lois (Erica Durance) see the error of her ways canceling the wedding in the first place. With a classic Chloe quip, an earnest smile, and a genuine interest in seeing her friends end up happy, she ultimately succeeds in getting her pals to the aisle and then stands up for them in the church.

"I think there a lot of different ways people want Chloe to end," Peterson pointed out, "but I think we service her character in a way that is right for who she was and who she is becoming. And she has one kind of big moment with Clark where we get to see her and how she interacts with the overall mythology."

But Souders also said that Chloe fans are in for a larger treat because she will have a "jewel" in the finale (stay tuned through the whole show!) that no one else does. Cryptic, yes, of course, but seeing as how things aren't looking so good for Oliver (Justin Hartley), who has been marked, it's still nice to see quite a few of these characters have happy moments, isn't it?

The first five minutes of the episode will flash into the future to show off what happiness may look like for the good people of Smallville. Well, a few of them anyway.

Smallville will air its "relationship defining" series finale on Friday, May 13th at 8pm only on The CW.

Want a piece of Smallville? LA TV Insider Examiner is giving away a final season poster. All you have to do to enter to win is leave a comment on this article regarding what you're most excited for in the finale and/or ReTweet this article link to all of your Twitter pals!

http://www.daemonstv.com/2011/05/10/...-speculations/

SMALLVILLE Series Finale Spoilers and Speculations

This morning I took a trip down the CW to not only take a sneak peek at the series (snif) finale of SMALLVILLE, but also talk to executive producers Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders about the highly anticipated finale.

The sneak peek was a special finale promo prepared especially for the press attending (sorry it’s not something that you will get to see), but that said I can do the next best thing, talk about what I saw.

I was given the green light to share with you some of what was shown in the promo, so here are some spoilers and speculations on the Smallville series finale based on the screening. Needless to say, if you want everything to be a surprised, stop reading now!

[Update: The CW has asked us to cut down a few things, sorry if you missed some of it, I guess you'll have to see it all in the finale!]

- The Darkseid apocalypse is not coming, it’s already here!

- Lois and Clark fans, don’t worry, he will not let Lois go that easily. In fact, I can tell you that we will be seeing Lois in a wedding dress. However, it looks like some disturbance might cut the wedding short.

- Chloe is back and we will get some sort of closure for her character.

- Peterson and Souders mentioned that there would be some explanation as to the presence of Jonathan Kent, which I’m sure a lot of you are excited about. I for sure would like to find out what his presence means.

- Of course, after all the previews shown, we know that Lex returns in the finale, but there are going to be some “big twists.”

- Is that Clark flying?!!! Ok maybe not, but I’m pretty sure it was him floating, which leads me to say… he will fly, but that’s just my own speculation/hope.

- There is a hint that the Superman costume will be involved in the finale, but that could be the power of editing. My take? They have to put Clark in the costume, they have to.

I have chills!!

And that’s only part of it. Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders also had tons more to say, but that will be put up closer to the finale. I do hope that I have given you enough to chew on.

And so don’t forget to tune in this Friday, May 13, at 8pm for the epic 2-hour series finale of Smallville on The CW.

OMG! I cannot wait to watch this totally epic finale!! This is the epic Superman that we have all come to known and he's finally coming to life!!

NOT FADE AWAY

An Angel continuity/crossover with Power Rangers
    Coming Soon!!

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 974 Posts

Just finished watching the finale. Putting under spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

LOVED IT!!!!!!!

Now that is how you end a long running series.

Just WOW

And Darksied made a better First Evil than The First Evil on Buffy.

Loved how Tess killed Lionel.Killed by both his kids.

Tess being killed by Lex,was very poetic.

And loved MR back as Lex and we finally have the answer to how they get around Lex knowing Clark's secret.He now doesn't.All his memories of his time in Smallville have been erased so now Lex doesn't know Clark is Superman or of his time in Smallville which really does line up with the comics.In the current continuity,Lex grew up in Smallville and knew Clark but he denies it or knowing Clark.He's completely erased the period from his life.The show basically did it literally but Clark knows which makes their last scene in the mansion so important.Lex won't remember but Clark does.It makes his sorry to Lex for not being able to save him even more tragic.And the birth of LexCorp was hillarious.

Chloe and Oliver together and with a son in the future flash.

Speaking of,Oh Man the future jump at the end.

LOVED IT!!!!

Having Aaron Ashmore back as the real Jimmy at the end of the episode in the seven year jump.Having Michael McKean voicing Perry.Plus the little touch that Clark/Lois are going to get married in the seven year jump since their present day wedding was interrupted.

And as far as Tights and Flight?We got it.I was very satisfied how it was done(some might not be though) and the last use of the John Williams Superman theme to end it all.

Especially since this will probably be the last time it's ever used.I don't expect it in the Chris Nolan/Zack Snyder reboot next year.

I'm in pure nirvana over this finale.
    Last edited by BAF; 14-05-11 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 721 Posts

I managed to not cry during the episode, but I am desperately holding back tears right now. Junk food don't fail me now!!! Thinking about how perfectly it was done and everything aligned for 10 years is so moving. And realizing the show is over and it was its time to go makes it even more heartbreaking. I can't wail and be angry that is gone. I can only look back and say what a damn fine job.

That's not to say everything was how I wanted it, but I think the finale remained true to itself, honored the Superman mythos before it, and gave the fans what they needed.

I needed Chloe and Oliver. And they gave it to me from minute one. Pretty much pictured how we all used to sit around and spam about Chlollie future back during S8. Ahh, the memories I had with friends on this board definitely made this show so much better.

I would have loved a more action first half, but I didn't really expect it. Smallville has always been based on the contemplations and evaluation of choices and paths in life. To not have had that in the Finale would have been wrong. But, we all knew Clark and Lois were going to the altar, we could have sped that up a bit. And Martha being so attached to the house seemed to go on a little long. I enjoyed the graveyard scene quite a bit though.

Juxtaposed with all these slow scenes of characters in indecision, I loved how Tess was frantically trying to take care of the impending apocalypse all by herself. I found it an interesting dynamic in how all the main characters got this luxury of time but Tess was making every second count. I already liked her, but seeing her so no-nonsense and getting stuff done made me completely fall in love with her. Not to mention she didn't even need Clark to rescue her from being strapped to a table! That was really thrilling!

I also loved how the Clark and Oliver story played out. I know that the show started with the Clark and Lex as brothers storyline, but I love how it evolved into a real brotherhood between Clark and Oliver. Seeing Clark walk up the aisle with Oliver waiting there and knowing how desperate that Lex always wanted into Clark's life was a poignant reminder that storyline. The fight scene was well done. But Clark trying to convincing Oliver, and Oliver being able to reject Darkseid because his friend believed in him really moved me.

I also loved that Chloe was the one to spot that the ring was incorrect. That was such a good testament to her eye for detail, quick decisive actions, and how she is always protecting Clark.

Oh and I know people complain that Smallville should have ended earlier because they left the town. But I like how they worked into the episode that Lois's nickname for Clark has always been Smallville. And the show is not really about the town, but Clark.

That's most of the first half, I'm going to back to my rewatch for a bit while I contemplate the more involved second half!

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

I thought the first part was a bit slow and not that exciting and all that back and forth between Clark and Lois about getting married or not was a bit annoying but I really enjoyed the second part! All those flashbacks totally made me squee (both Clark's and Lex's) and made me remember the times when I used to really like this show, Chlollie were awesome and I loved finally seeing my favourite SV character Lex again. There were even a few Clex-like lines, such as the one about being each other's destiny and Clark being sorry that he couldn't save Lex. I'm glad that even though Clark and Lex are now enemies, the writers paid homage to Clex in the series finale, it was very fitting. Too bad Lex's memories were erased though.

I loved the scene in the Fortress of Solitude when the Superman suit came out of the ground and Clark grabbing it and flying off to save the world. Also, the last scene at the Daily Planet was great with Clark having to rush off to save the day again, ripping his shirt open and revealing the Superman suit underneath, very cool stuff!

Oh and I was beyond relieved that Lana did not have a part in this finale and I just blacked her out whenever she appeared in the flashbacks.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that the show shouldn't have gone on this long but as a former fan I'm glad and relieved that SV got a fitting series finale.

Somebody Save Me... DigitalLeonardo's Avatar
    Thanks

So... it happened. Its over.

I would just like to start by saying how happy I am that Smallville was able to give closure to all the principal characters. I guess the one character that people may argue on this is Lana who was such a pivotal character in the first 7 years, that to not get anything after her mini season 8 train wreck is kind of sucky for Lana fans, but I guess we can live with that.

The first part of the finale was very character driven, which after rewatching I was happy with. It was able to give Clark and Lois all the time they needed to realize how they need each other, no matter what. They are both pretty head strong characters so it made sense that they both needed each other to make them realize they needed each other... if that makes sense. The scene at the door when Clark read's Lois' vows was just magical really needed.

I will admit that I haven't been Chloe's biggest fan this season. Her return mid-season didn't sit well with me. It wasn't really Chloe, but I guess I can say that about the majority of season 9 as well. This episode however gave us the Chloe that we loved, the quirky best friend. Her scenes with Lois in the planet was classic Chloe and I've missed it. I also loved that she is the one who protected Clark from the ring. It just shows how aware Chloe is and that even though everything was so perfect, she knows that shit can come down at any moment! I also enjoyed her last scene with Clark, the hug and the line "See you in the funny pages" was such a great goodbye and I was happy to have that be her and Clark's last scene.

It was weird how attached Martha was to farm, I get it, but I dunno. Besides that I loved having her back, she was needed there. I just don't think it would make sense without her. I also enjoyed having Johnathan there. I never cared for him, but the moment of the 3 of them hugging in the barn was just pretty amazing and a great shot.

The wedding was nice (so happy it wasn't at the barn.... I hated that Chloe had it in the barn and would have hated to have Clark's in the barn). Clark walking Lois down the heart had me teary eyed, the final stand that she is his equal. I kinda wish Lois' sister was there, I understand her dad not being... but come on. Lucy should have been a bridesmaid. I'm sure Peyton List isn't an in-demand actress. Its really the small things I can justify picking at for this finale.

Clark helping Oliver break the Darkseid mark was great. Especially since Oliver had all this fear of Clark finding out and killing him. It was a great moment for the two who've had a very rocky relationship since season 6.

Oh then there is that whole Luthor masterpiece. I love how Cassidy Freeman lead all her scenes as Tess, she stole it all and its weird to think that she has developed so fully in a short 3 year span. I almost forget she wasn't in early seasons. Her breaking free was so badass and shooting Lionel. I love the imagery of Lionel being killed by both his children. It was so intense and perfect how Tess doesn't even hesitate. She knows he needs to die so Lex can't live and Clark will be safe. She is doing all this dirty work and no one will really know.

Lionel making a deal with Darkseid was just brilliant, but... I have issues with Lionel for so many reasons. But then again I have to remember that this is alternate reality Lionel and isn't the one who cared for Clark. Darkseid/Lionel was a great way to have Darkseid appear before Clark and not look cheesy with effects.

Which moves us too...

CLARK FLIES!

The montage of his "trials" were so heart warming (though would have liked a shout out to Alicia...). It was just fantastic to see an how it all clicks into him that he has been ready, its time. He needs to be a hero. While we don't really get Tom Welling in the suit, I was happy with the effects and how much they must have put into this.

Lois on Air Force One was lolz. I loved when she knocked out her co-worker in TRUE Lois fashion! I'm glad we got that, the writers really kept true to her character, and really all the characters.

Oliver beating Darkseid's disciples was also fantastic and great to see him be the hero we've really missed out on for the most part of season 10.

The future scenes were a perfect way to end the series, and great to use since they have already been set up from "Salvation" and "Homecoming". Chloe reading the comic to her son (who I assume is a young Connor Hawke and in the comics the next Green Arrow). I don't understand the comic though, maybe I'm just dense... but wouldn't the comic like... spoil who Superman is? I dunno, it was nice thought. I also like that Chloe was the one to say Superman. Through out the series she's kind of named all the heroes, so for her to say Superman was just a great little cherry.

It was a treat seeing Aaron Ashmore was Jimmy Olsen. At first I was kinda blah about it, but the second time around I think it was perfect and a great little gift to Aaron Ashmore and Jimmy fans after what they did to his character in the last half of season 8. Him and Lois was just great together, and the small moment with her and Clark was

The final moment I think I almost had a heart attack. The music from the Superman films playing, Clark ripping open the shirt to reveal the 'S' was just... OMFG!

I was so happy with this finale. It gave fans everything we needed. Yeah there are a few minor things that would have been nice, like Tom Welling in the actual costume, but really in the grand scheme of things is a minor bump. Smallville gave the fans what they needed to make 10 years really work. Everything they've done has led up to this moment.

Smallville. Thank You!

Thanks

Wow so the finale has happened and Smallville has come to a close, that's a bit sad really. Although in Australia I don't think S10 has even aired in here yet, it's pretty much Charmed all over again when they had their last finale. I haven't seen it on Eleven so I presume SV hasn't even aired.

Perhaps they will do what they did with Charmed, released it on dvds and air it every day at midday.

Anyways it's good they managed to get Lex back for the finale. Although what's this Alternate Lionel I keep hearing about in this thread? (I only remember one episode where apparently he came back after reading it on tv.com). Sounds like they have all but Pete and Lana (But that's alright, I liked the others better lol, I am just glad Chloe is around. What is her ending anyways?) back.

Another Supernatural like show finished, and the question for me is what is next? It seems all the supernatural shows have become nearly none. Only Supernatural and Medium I know of along with No Ordinary Family (And Medium hasn't aired here for months now ). Anyone else remember when it was Buffy, Sabrina, Angel, Charmed, Smallville (Okay I can't recall if Smallville was around when the former two finished, and I didn't start watching until about S2-3).

I hope they do make a supernatural show good as the ones like these, (And no placing it on Eleven/Ten, it's clear the way they treated the previous ones they hate those type of shows).

Hilda Celeriac: You better tell me everything or I am gonna go Lex Luthor on your ass!
    Hey guys, if you know Amber is coming to Brisbane or anywhere near it, then page me (Well PM, just referencing Buffy)