Thread: Plans for Smallville: The Complete Series DVD set

Slayer
    Thanks

Default Plans for Smallville: The Complete Series DVD set

I've been waiting a long time for this!
    Smallville - The Complete Series is coming to DVD this fall. You can see an early look at the package art on the right (courtesy of TVGuide.com) The 62-disc set will contain all 218 episodes from the show's 10-year run, plus bonus material. That includes new extras made just for this Complete Series set, which TVGuide.com reports will consist of:
    - 90-minute series retrospective with new cast and crew interviews
    - Commemorative issue of the Daily Planet, created by DC Comics
    - 2010 Comic-Con International panel
    - Episode guide with production art (storyboards and sketches) and behind the scenes photos
    - Previously unseen Superboy pilot from 1961

More about this can be seen in a TVGuide.com-exclusive trailer that you'll find in the story at their website, which you can get to using the link provided above. The trailer includes a "beauty shot" look at the package interior, and we've got a screen capture of that for you at the bottom. Note that the "book cover" in that image shows a look of Clark clinging to the side of a launching rocket; if you watch the actual trailer over there, then you'll quickly see that it's not the actual book cover but rather an in-motion series of segments from various episodes of the show. Hopefully Warner Home Video will get us finalized high-res artwork of this packaging, including the beauty shot, to pass along in a future update.

In the meantime, we can add a few things to the information our owners at TVGuide.com have provided. First of all, we've been informed by Warner Home Video that this release of Smallville - The Complete Series will ONLY be for DVD format, and not on Blu-ray Disc. We asked for some in-depth information about why the studio would make that decision, and we were informed that there are technical issues present in the early seasons. Here's an exact quote from the studio:
    "The special effects were created and output for standard definition broadcast using the tools and formats of that time. Elevating the special effects to an acceptable level for HD may require going back to original film elements and re-creating new special effects from scratch to marry with the film elements, which is extremely costly."
    So, like other SFX-heavy series which were finished on videotape but not made-for-HD from the ground up (such as Star Trek: The Next Generation, The X-Files, Babylon 5, early seasons of Doctor Who, and others), the first few seasons of Smallville simply aren't up-to-snuff for high def Blu-ray Disc format without paying for a pricey special effects do-over. It's quite understandable that Warner wouldn't go back and do that just now, with the economy still not where everybody wants it to be.

"Wait a second!", you might ask, "didn't Smallville - The Complete 5th Season come out in the now-defunct HD-DVD high-def format? Can't they make a Blu-ray version of it, at least?" Yes, we looked into that question as well. Warner's answer to us was this: "Although the release of Season 5 on Blu-ray is technically possible, we do not have current plans to release Season 5 on BD."

So, how far into the "fall" will Smallville - The Complete Series DVDs come out? Well, we don't know that for certain at the moment, but we can take a guess! In mid-March we passed along word that Smallville - The Complete 10th Season is reportedly coming to DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats on November 8th. That has NOT been officially announced by the studio, and could easily be subject to change. However, it's probably a rather safe guess that Smallville - The Complete 10th Season and Smallville - The Complete Series will be out on the same day, whatever that turns out to be. There's more to find out, and we're working to get that for you. Stay tuned!

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/15315#ixzz1KgDAPhFL
    I'm sure this will cost a hefty price, but I can't imagine not having it eventually. The packaging is beautiful and the promo trailer is phenomenal. What do you think of it? Will you open your wallet to this amazing set?

Sunnydale High Student RedKryptonClark's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's a close up photo of the set:

I'm annoyed that they're cheaping out and not working on reformatting the earlier seasons for blu-ray. All seasons are available to view in HD format on HDNet and ALL of them look beautiful.

*Sigh* Looks like something that fans will have to campaign for after the series is over.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 721 Posts

Very tempted to buy it! I guess it just depends on the price and others reviews on how quality the packaging is once it is released.

I'm surprised and intrigued to learn that the special effects from earlier seasons was not married to video footage in such a way that what was on DVD cannot be put on bluray. Even if the bluray of earlier seasons wouldn't be as quality as later seasons, you would have thought the studio would have took the opportunity to release a bluray version and make more money.

I might speculate they don't have all the rights available to allow earlier seasons to be released on bluray format, or that the looming deadline to losing certain rights to the Superman character has all their resources maxed for other projects in the remaining time available to them.

Doesn't really matter to me about the bluray though. I'm not really into the bluray format yet. Most of my stuff is on DVD and it works well for me to not have to switch between different media and players.

Lydia made the punch!

Somebody Save Me... DigitalLeonardo's Avatar
    Thanks

At first I wasn't going to buy this, buts its 225 on Amazon, which is pretty good for a 10 season series, considering that Battlestar and similar shows with less season are around the same price. While I have seasons 1-9 already, obviously, I think it will be worth it. Some of the extra stuff included looks pretty wow.

* Never-before-seen Superboy pilot from 1961
    * 90-minute series retrospective with all new interviews
    * 2010 final Comic-Con panel
    * A Daily Planet newspaper written by DC Comics that highlights the important storylines developed during the 10-year run of the show
    * Episode guide with never-before-released on DVD production art and behind the scenes photos
    * And more!

Plus I am amazed we are getting new disc covers, while I love the ones that come with the boxsets, I like these ones too and they all look like a giant collection. I think I'll sell my old boxsets to my friend and upgrade. This will be my only big complete series, and yeah I wanna support some SV love.

Oh scratch that, I just pre-ordered it.
    Last edited by DigitalLeonardo; 27-04-11 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
    At first I wasn't going to buy this, buts its 225 on Amazon, which is pretty good for a 10 season series, considering that Battlestar and similar shows with less season are around the same price. While I have seasons 1-9 already, obviously, I think it will be worth it. Some of the extra stuff included looks pretty wow.

* Never-before-seen Superboy pilot from 1961
    * 90-minute series retrospective with all new interviews
    * 2010 final Comic-Con panel
    * A Daily Planet newspaper written by DC Comics that highlights the important storylines developed during the 10-year run of the show
    * Episode guide with never-before-released on DVD production art and behind the scenes photos
    * And more!

Plus I am amazed we are getting new disc covers, while I love the ones that come with the boxsets, I like these ones too and they all look like a giant collection. I think I'll sell my old boxsets to my friend and upgrade. This will be my only big complete series, and yeah I wanna support some SV love.

Oh scratch that, I just pre-ordered it.
    LMAO!!! Your willpower is equal to the strength of cotton candy!

$225 isn't that bad a price for 10 seasons. The booklet is the most intriguing thing about the set though. Do we know how many pages it is?

Is it wrong that when I first saw "Daily Planet newspaper" that I hoped that it would include the heartbreaking kitten adoption story that Clark was supposedly writing in S8 of Smallville. The recap of the important storylines sounds like it would appeal to more SV fans though.

I'm considering getting it for my mother since between us we probably have a set of all the seasons and that means I could officially make off with her dvd sets!

I like how all the individual seasons have pictures of the characters. I'm a little disappointed in the simple numbered discs of the box set.

Lydia made the punch!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    LMAO!!! Your willpower is equal to the strength of cotton candy!
    I need to turn that into a banner some how...

$225 isn't that bad a price for 10 seasons. The booklet is the most intriguing thing about the set though. Do we know how many pages it is?
    It doesn't say, but if its the episode guide and most likely 2-4 episodes per page, I'd say it would be roughly 40-50 pages. Which is pretty cool and hopefully they give us stuff we haven't seen before. I'd like some costume design sketches for the Justice League characters or some unused concepts for Green Arrow's costume.

Is it wrong that when I first saw "Daily Planet newspaper" that I hoped that it would include the heartbreaking kitten adoption story that Clark was supposedly writing in S8 of Smallville. The recap of the important storylines sounds like it would appeal to more SV fans though.
    Haha, that would be cute. Or even Chloe's article. Adding in a few would be a nice touch. The Daily Planet newspaper doesn't interest me as much, but it will be a nice touch. And since its from DC Comics, I'm hoping for some cool new pictures.

I'm considering getting it for my mother since between us we probably have a set of all the seasons and that means I could officially make off with her dvd sets!
    Haha, I like it!

I like how all the individual seasons have pictures of the characters. I'm a little disappointed in the simple numbered discs of the box set.
    Well as much as I like the pictures, I don't like that seasons 1-3 (and maybe 4) don't say what season the discs are... I also am not a fan of some of the images used. I like that the new ones have symbols on them from the seasons. But I am torn, and may give my friend the new discs... depending. Though that means I have to wait for her to buy season 10 then...

Thanks

Wowsers!! This is totally awesome and this is coming to our stores in the fall. I really want to buy this for my 19th birthday in October, if it's in stores by then. Thanks WB for giving us such honor to see all of the DVDs as one humongous package.

NOT FADE AWAY

An Angel continuity/crossover with Power Rangers
    Coming Soon!!

Slayer
    Thanks

Some new information came out today...and news that I am very fond of! It appears the Aquaman pilot starring Justin Hartley will also be included in the complete series DVD set!

Also, in regards to the lack of a Blu-Ray version of this set, I heard a rather terrible rumour online. Some fans were saying that Warner Bros were simply going to release a Blu-Ray copy of the series at a later date, after all the fans had purchased a DVD one. Yikes!

Thanks

I'm excited that Aquaman will be incluided and I hope that Wonder Woman is tossed in there as well. It would be a nice little cap. As for the blu-ray I really don't care, and if fans really want the blu-ray they should just wait it out. People have to realize how much work it will be to turn the first 5 seasons into blu-ray quality. Over 100 episodes need to be redone with special effects. If someone really wants it, they can wait it out. Most dvds when played on Blu-Ray look fantastic. I don't need Smallville to be 1000% quality, the special effects to begin with are on the weaker side. So dvd is just fine for me.